Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like people should start compiling a list of poo poo you should and shouldn't do on a kickstarter. I'd be curious to read it anyway. Might help out a few apsiring kickstarting goons.

Someone should kickstart that. For ten thousand dollars you get a printed version in gold leaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Someone should kickstart that. For ten thousand dollars you get a printed version in gold leaf.

In gold leaf on a 3d printed plaque.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like people should start compiling a list of poo poo you should and shouldn't do on a kickstarter. I'd be curious to read it anyway. Might help out a few apsiring kickstarting goons.

There's one that keeps getting posted in one of the GameDev threads, but I can't find it ATM.

Someone has done a Kickstarter for a guide to successful Kickstarters. It didn't get funded.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 18, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

It flew completely under my radar, but former Piranha Bytes composer Kai Rosenkranz is Kickstarting an album. Starting at the $14 pledge there will be Gothic & Risen medley tracks included, besides the album itself. Rosenkranz has announced some of the Gothic/Risen music he'll be revisiting, such as Gothic 3's Vista Point, and right now he has opened voting to pick out more Gothic tracks for the project.

I was thrilled not to have missed this, figured someone else out there might be a fan of Rosenkranz.

gothic is cool and good and if he had more physical rewards related to it i would back this

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

There's a huge pile of those lists out there. But if you're fine with ignoring feedback from goons, then you're probably going to ignore those lists, as well. Or just pick and choose from them. It does sound like it was partially the team's fault for making the video all story, Pxlwrm mentioned in the other thread that he was pushing for more gameplay footage. He really should have pushed harder, but I get the feeling they need money to keep the team together, and they need it now.

There's a "company" (they're 90% college students) local to me that's done two failed kickstarters. The first one had no gameplay footage until late in the process, and they "had to release it now" because they had a newspaper interview going out then. The second one had a small amount of gameplay footage, but it was for a mobile puzzle game, and their video was still heavy on the talking heads.

Mido posted:

In gold leaf on a 3d printed plaque.

It needs to interact with an iOS device for maximum money.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Torment has a gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd43NYBzHuk

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That is the Baldurest Gatest looking game.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

You should have something to show - kickstarting shouldn't be literally nothing but an idea and some people. At least enough gameplay to show off a minute or two or gently caress at least fake it. A kickstarter video should just be a gameplay trailer.

Yeah, the only people who have a licence to kickstart an idea without detail are those with a track record. Even that is becoming not enough, with big names running into a plateau early on in the campaign when it becomes clear they didn't have a lot to show for it.

If you're aiming to kick start, development really should focus on getting a slice of gameplay together that communicates what the game is about and how it plays. That proves you've solved the hardest problem, successfully getting an idea, or at least the core of it, from your brain through to execution.

If you do that well, the game will pitch itself provided you've targeted an audience well, because people will be able to describe what they're seeing. 1 minute of gameplay can travel the world before 6 minutes of exposition gets its boots on.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

That is the Baldurest Gatest looking game.

I believe that's another Kickstarter game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The former is licencing development tech from the latter, actually.

But they're both spiritual sequals to Infinity Engine games; Pillars of Eternity is the spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate and Torment: Tides of Numenera is the spiritual sequel to Planescape: Torment.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 18, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Someone has done a Kickstarter for a guide to successful Kickstarters. It didn't get funded.

I'm trying to remember if he had several other failed Kickstarters under his belt, or if that was the first one he'd actually done by his lonesome.

Personally, I've grown to dislike Kickstarter videos. These days, any idiot can throw a trailer together, and I can read faster than you can spin your pitch-- and I don't need concept art pictures gliding randomly about either. Make something memorable, show me some basic gameplay, or don't waste my time. There needs to be an indication that you have something more than an elevator pitch; we're beyond the point where multiple Kickstarters have failed and others are apparently years behind schedule because there's a big gulf between having a neat idea and some concept art, and actually having something tangible to present.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Swamp Fancy posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2049430629/flagship-space-strategy-from-a-first-person-perspe

Flagship went up the other day, an interesting take on the space strategy genre where you command a fleet from the bridge of your flagship in first person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr98bTzxH8

This reminds me alot of the no mans sky trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

And a new website with a revamped pledge manager.
https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

gently caress yes look how big that UI is. :getin:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The CLANG project (remember that?) has officially been terminated. In announcing this, Neal Stephenson threatened to write a book about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress yes look how big that UI is. :getin:

UI looks pretty raw still, though. Numbers for choices printed in a plain text stream?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

MikeJF posted:

UI looks pretty raw still, though. Numbers for choices printed in a plain text stream?
It's retro.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ookiimarukochan posted:

The CLANG project (remember that?) has officially been terminated. In announcing this, Neal Stephenson threatened to write a book about it.

At least the Kickstarter provided people with a job for about a year. We coulda just held a canned food drive, though.

MikeJF posted:

I like the numbers because I can just use the numerical keypad instead of clicking on a line to select it.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

ookiimarukochan posted:

That was pretty much inevitable. Basically, they were in "okay, we produced a tech demo with the KS funds, let's see if we can get a second round of private funding to turn that into the actual game we promised," and it didn't happen, because the tech demo was rough as poo poo and not very fun (and very dependent on having their custom hardware).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

I thought he already wrote a book filled with impenetrable fencing jargon and boring fight scenes.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
We just hit our funding goal on Kickstarter with a little shy of 48h left on the clock. I don't want to spam the thread or anything, like I've said before, but a good chunk of that was goon money, and me and the team wanted to offer our thanks to those of you who backed us. Knowing that we made it is an awesome feeling. =D

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

I still can't believe people fell for that one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman both were able to put out games over the years, it must really be a quill in Stephenson's side that he failed so miserably.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Drifter posted:

Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman both were able to put out games over the years, it must really be a quill in Stephenson's side that he failed so miserably.

Neither of their projects needed to create an entirely new piece of hardware as a game controller.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Kenshin posted:

I still can't believe people fell for that one.

Prime grade nerd bait

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Drifter posted:

It shouldn't have surprised him or anyone else for that matter. Barker and Gaiman are good authors, which is why theirs worked.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mechaet posted:

It shouldn't have surprised him or anyone else for that matter. Barker and Gaiman are good authors, which is why theirs worked.

Ahaha.
That's literally why. If only Stephenson were a better author, he'd have been able to attract better programmers.

Clive Barker's laughing in his red velvet bathrobe and pink bunny-slippers.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

mechaet posted:

Must be something to do with the fact that they actually know how to write endings rather than leave everything hanging.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Correnth posted:

We just hit our funding goal on Kickstarter with a little shy of 48h left on the clock. I don't want to spam the thread or anything, like I've said before, but a good chunk of that was goon money, and me and the team wanted to offer our thanks to those of you who backed us. Knowing that we made it is an awesome feeling. =D

Congrats!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Nefarious needs another $10k in the next 8 hours and I don't think it's going to happen. It's a shame, the concept is pretty cool and the music and visuals are really awesome.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

EricFate posted:

Must be something to do with the fact that they actually know how to write endings rather than leave everything hanging.

Neal Stephenson always writes endings. They nicely wrap up 1,000 pages of preliminary threads in the final 10-15 or so XD.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Correnth posted:

Congratulations!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5CB2lnZ7c

The Pathologic remake has a new trailer. I want this thing done so much and I hope they can hit at least the first two stretch goals.

Do please consider pledging on their KS. You can even pick a copy for one of your silly, expensive new consoles (PS4 or Bone).

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5CB2lnZ7c

The Pathologic remake has a new trailer. I want this thing done so much and I hope they can hit at least the first two stretch goals.

Do please consider pledging on their KS. You can even pick a copy for one of your silly, expensive new consoles (PS4 or Bone).

I'm so glad I backed Pathologic.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wasteland 2 is out.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm so glad I backed Pathologic.

Goddamnit, that Lucid Dreaming sounds so interesting.

:negative:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Great Joe posted:

Wasteland 2 is out.

If you got the beta on Steam, does the beta version just update to the full game, or do you have to go through more steps? I've been waiting on the game to come out before I go back to it because the growing pains of the beta were killing me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately that Pathologic trailer is just all of the CGI scenes they had in their pitch video. Nothing new, but it is nice to have that all in one place.

I'm considering upping my pledge again, I really want to see them make lots of money. Unfortunately, while they have the best mindset possible about stretchgoals in terms of not ruining the end product to shove in a bunch of poorly thought out and ill-fitting features, it is a little hard to get worked up over "we'll add more content to The Town"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think the new trailer is useful for gaming sites and such -- it'd be weird to see a Kickstarter pitch video on Giant Bomb or something, so this one fits in better even if it doesn't have anything new. I doubt any of it is in-game anyway, the animation and stuff gives the impression of something akin to a storyboard. Producing more would be a bit of a waste of time, since it's just for advertising (though I guess that might bump up pledges but who knows.)

I still jumped up to $55 for the extra in-game scene. Why the hell not. I can say for sure that this is not a game I'm interested in Beta access for.

I love IPL's music. The first little snippet of coming through the door and talking to the lady is incredibly reminiscent of The Void (which is amazing but very slow and rock hard.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately the dude who made the original Pathologic music no longer works at Ice-Pick Lodge.

As for how that will affect the game itself, I believe in the comments IPL's position on it was "we'll see if our current composer can emulate the old guy's style to our liking. If he can, there might be some new tracks, and if not, it'll just stay the same. Either way there won't be any big changes."