Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Lotish posted:

If you got the beta on Steam, does the beta version just update to the full game, or do you have to go through more steps? I've been waiting on the game to come out before I go back to it because the growing pains of the beta were killing me.
It updates automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

SupSuper posted:

It updates automatically.

8 gig patch yay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Awesome, thanks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crash74 posted:

8 gig patch yay.

You could call it a patch, sure, or you can call it the last half of the game.

One way or another.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game is fun so far but, is it supposed to be so taxing on my GPU? It sounds like a drat jet engine and the temperature gets too high for my liking yet I more than exceed the requirements.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Pathologic, yeeeeeaaaah!

I usually really don't like the idea of remakes but this is THE one I'm really excited about. If they can do what they say in the description, update the game, add some more stuff while at the same time keeping what made it special... It's gonna rock.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Drifter posted:

You could call it a patch, sure, or you can call it the last half of the game.

One way or another.

Wait, how big is the whole game? I thought the Beta build was already some ridiculous number.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait, how big is the whole game? I thought the Beta build was already some ridiculous number.

The whole thing is 21 gigs.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm pretty sure their release trailer said 22 gigs. They're claiming 80 hours of content as well, curious to see how accurate that is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mimetic posted:

I'm pretty sure their release trailer said 22 gigs. They're claiming 80 hours of content as well, curious to see how accurate that is.

I spent about 10 hours doing the tutorial stuff and Ag Center, so I could totally see that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mimetic posted:

Probably includes all content which not everyone will see the first time because from what I've read its pretty much expected that you will lock yourself out of some content the game has one way or another.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

edit: wrong thread!

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 19, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Genocyber posted:

The whole thing is 21 gigs.

That seems like a shitload of a turn-based isometric RPG.

Ah well, I guess I don't really need it to be on my SSD or anything anyway.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game is fun so far but, is it supposed to be so taxing on my GPU? It sounds like a drat jet engine and the temperature gets too high for my liking yet I more than exceed the requirements.
Enable vertical sync.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
*Edit*

Never mind I was wrong about Wasteland's file size.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Looks like Kickstarter is updating their TOS to cover new countries and project standards: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/an-update-to-our-terms-of-use

Probably the biggest change is backing is now a legally-binding agreement between creator and backer (KS still don't get involved) that includes both fulfilling the project and rewards:

quote:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers.

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I think KS has always considering the whole act legally binding (KS has made mentioned of such on and off) but they're now officially saying it.

Edit: probably the biggest unstated rule spelled out is 'This is not a storefront.'

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 20, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well hot drat that sounds significant. I've yet to back a failed project, but I imagine this is going to change a few things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lotish posted:

Well hot drat that sounds significant. I've yet to back a failed project, but I imagine this is going to change a few things.

Maybe I'm wrong but, legally speaking, this seems exactly the same as their old ToS. They're just spelling it out much more clearly for the idiots out there that think Kickstarter can be free money for a pipedream.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, it really doesn't seem to change squat. The onus is still on the backers to seek legal action if things go pear shaped, and there's still the same squidgy grey area where a scam/not scam can claim to be a good faith effort. They've just wrapped it in more words.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, it really doesn't seem to change squat. The onus is still on the backers to seek legal action if things go pear shaped, and there's still the same squidgy grey area where a scam/not scam can claim to be a good faith effort. They've just wrapped it in more words.

I kind of get the sense that Kickstarter themselves are doing it in case they could somehow be held accountable in the future, but it really doesn't seem like backers have much anything to go on when things go wrong unless it was a real cut and dry case of them taking the money and running off.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

TheOrange posted:

I kind of get the sense that Kickstarter themselves are doing it in case they could somehow be held accountable in the future, but it really doesn't seem like backers have much anything to go on when things go wrong unless it was a real cut and dry case of them taking the money and running off.

Well without a direct written agreement theres nothing definite for a backer engaging in legal action, and that includes recovering legal costs even if you win. Without that guarantee only major backers have enough skin in the game to make it worthwhile, and even then they have to have cash to burn on top of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Personally I'm waiting for the day when a Kickstarter sends out an update that's just a picture of a middle finger that says "SEEYA SUCKERS!!!" at the top.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Personally I'm waiting for the day when a Kickstarter sends out an update that's just a picture of a middle finger that says "SEEYA SUCKERS!!!" at the top.

That's pretty much what this was:

Maksym Pashanin - July 26 posted:

Ok guys, what's the latest deets on the drama? 10/10, would squat again

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The Stomping Land, which hadn't been updated in months, finally came out with a new update the other day. The developer claims that he and a core group of others are still working and will continue to do so until the game is complete. Assuming that's true, that really need to do better with keeping lines of communication open.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I can't believe nobody's mentioned this but Paradigm loving exploded and will has almost broken 20K. GOOD. It looks like one of those good-and-completely-loving-crazy games that gets forgotten by history and lurks at the far edge of awareness as retro gaming's bugfuck mental secret.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hyper Light Drifter has a beta(ish) weekend starting the 26th. When I saw this on Polygon I realized I hadn't heard anythign about the project in a long while and shortly after that I discovered that I actually didn't back it even though I could have sworn I did. Hurrrr. :saddowns:

I was browsing by category the other day and found Reassembly, which I think looks kind of neat. Sort of a Starsector meets Minecraft sort of thing? You harvest stuff and lego-build custom ships out of a bunch of parts. Shades of Galaxy Trucker, if you're familiar with the board game (especially in the way that ships fall apart in chunks when under fire.) Single dev effort and there's what looks like a working game in place that needs a huge amount of polish, but it's pretty clearly going to hit its goal (it's at 22k of 28k with 12 days to go.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Has anyone linked CodeSpells yet? It's a third-person sandboxy type game where you get to define your own magic spells (in JavaScript, no less) instead of relying on what's predefined in the game.

It looks kinda neat, and it's doing really well on funding. It's not the most professional pitch video ever, but it has actual gameplay in it right from the start. And the game was originally thought up as a way to get kids into coding.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 21, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KozmoNaut posted:

Has anyone linked CodeSpells yet? It's a third-person sandboxy type game where you get to define your own magic spells (in JavaScript, no less) instead of relying on what's predefined in the game.

It looks kinda neat, and it's doing really well on funding. It's not the most professional pitch video ever, but it has actual gameplay in it right from the start. And the game was originally thought up as a way to get kids into coding.

Thanks for the link, I am totally into this.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Whatever happened to that "Learn to code in an FPS" one?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

chiefnewo posted:

I believe he took the money and ran.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I love the idea of programming-as-game-mechanic. A while ago I brainstormed my own version of the concept which was basically a Lemmings style game to get a percentage of characters past obstacles and to the exit but instead of a palette of tools you have to program. Cool Kickstarter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chiefnewo posted:

It turns out it's just about impossible to deliver on the promises of that one, so all that's available is a beta that's terribly unfun and obtuse to play. Because the whole "code gun" concept was based on the project leaders not really getting programming.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Not a kickstarter, but there's a site that does programming-as-game-mechanic that I've seen pop up on hacker news a few times: http://codecombat.com/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Oh man I just dug up the original Code Hero stuff and apparently it was actually meant to teach you how to code Unity games through the game. With the code gun stuff. For some reason I had remembered it touting itself as just teaching basic programming in general which would have been marginally achievable in its format but this... wow.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Sigma-X posted:

I seem to recall it was massive incompetence rather that maliciousness that sunk the code gun project.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sigma-X posted:

Was that the project that got funded that was aimed toward kids (but all audiences, really), where they would solve puzzles using an in-game designed scripting language? And then a couple of the (funded) stretch goals had modules for Python and JavaScript?

I hope not, that was cool as hell and at the time I regretted not backing it.

Cicero posted:

Not a kickstarter, but there's a site that does programming-as-game-mechanic that I've seen pop up on hacker news a few times: http://codecombat.com/

Oh man this look awesome, is it still being actively developed?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I want someone to make a modern take on Colobot.

It's an old-rear end game that taught you fake C++ as a way to automate the actions of little robots.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
This is more of a command-line thing than a programming thing, really. Still cool. It's also taking ages to come out :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fqvEG5E0jk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Again, not a Kickstarter but since we're on the subject of code games Hack and Slash just came out from Doublefine. It's a Zelda-ish game where your sword has a USB stick at the end and you can use it to rewrite lua scripts in game. You start off just modifying variables but it gets more intense as you go along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLCGfqjFA9E

It starts off at the tutorial stage but skip to 40:00 if you want to see some of the real meat.