Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think they lied about it when they said it was for realism, when the real answer is probably they didn't want to have to do all the extra work required for another playable character, when it wasn't really designed for more than one playable character.

This is honestly the most likely answer. A lot of the really stupid responses to stuff like this (including Ubisoft's) basically amount to someone saying something stupid to justify a much simpler answer that they think will make them look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

IIRC, they actually did say that they had a specific story in mind for a specific character, and that it didn't make sense for a woman to be that character/go through those things. Didn't make anyone happier.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The lead dev is kind of a whiny shitlord but not to the point where I won't buy the hell out of the game (probably). It's going to be interesting to see if they really keep it 'realistic' first person, because there's lot of perspective issues with first person melee games especially with regards to how things would look and how things are expected to look. I mean hell even with shooters you've got that "why is he holding the gun up to his face" thing

Also, That Which Sleeps hit it's last stretch goal, apparently "Human Culture" doesn't mean anything close to what I thought it meant though

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I played around with Kingdom Come for half an hour and I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

This is basically a test of NPCs, day/night cycles and basic moving about.
You have a small village, some open fields and a bit of forest to explore and it's absolutely beautiful already, which was also to be expected considering they are using the CryEngine.
There is only one small quest where you need to get a bow and you you have to interact with a few NPCs to get to get it. I didn't succeed at it before I had to shut down the game, as there is definitely some memory leaking going on right now which ended up slowing my PC down to a crawl.

But watching the farmers go out in the fields at dawn, then coming home at dusk and go to the inn, being served by a waitress who also cleans up afterwards, the lights coming on in the houses at night, the farm animals walking around. Hell, just something simple as the wind blowing the grass and trees looked really great.
And everything had a dirty and medieval look to it as well.

There are a lot of things to be worked on for sure: NPCs sitting in the air. Spoons being left hanging when the plates are removed, NPCs walking through walls, no facial animation when they are supposed to talk. But that is all to be expected.

What I'm most worried about is the melee combat, as RentACop also mentions. If they make it too "realistic", it could end up ruining the experience as it gets so complicated it almost ends up being a QWOP game experience, or if they make it too arcade-like, it could even be worse than Oblivion and the likes.
What would be my perfect solution would be some kind of difficulty level for combat where you could chose between the two.

And the devs also threw in this little teaser:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

EDIT: Unrelated, but the VGL Level 4 pitch spends so much time talking about how successful Level 3 was. If Level 3 was so successful, why the hell do they need to Kickstart Level 4? Just so Tallarico doesn't have to spend any of his own money?
It was so successful in that it just reached its goal. :v: I imagine Tallarico is just really proud of it much like he is about VGL as a whole (and given how many Kickstarters fail now, a success is always nice). I really doubt he's swimming in money given VGL itself is kind of an expensive niche and all the ticket money they get has to be funneled back into VGL, so all these side albums need Kickstarters just to pay for their costs.

FWIW I was a backer for VGL3 and I can vouch that the album is really good, and if you're a video game music afficionado the higher tiers are really worth it. :)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

One of the reasons I got bent out of shape about the female PC issue is that after making a pitch talking about Darklands and Mount & Blade it turns out they are making a "sandbox" in the manner of Mafia with all kinds of (probably terrible) story fu instead of a proper sandbox like the games they mentioned which is why they can't just swap the gender on the pc.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SupSuper posted:

It was so successful in that it just reached its goal. :v: I imagine Tallarico is just really proud of it much like he is about VGL as a whole (and given how many Kickstarters fail now, a success is always nice). I really doubt he's swimming in money given VGL itself is kind of an expensive niche and all the ticket money they get has to be funneled back into VGL, so all these side albums need Kickstarters just to pay for their costs.

FWIW I was a backer for VGL3 and I can vouch that the album is really good, and if you're a video game music afficionado the higher tiers are really worth it. :)

I backed 3 too, but I figured most money from post-Kickstarter sales would be able to go to the next one. I mean, if he runs it at that tight of a profit margin, more power to him, but it doesn't seem sustainable past the first couple times to run a Kickstarter every time he wants to do a new album.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FuzzySlippers posted:

One of the reasons I got bent out of shape about the female PC issue is that after making a pitch talking about Darklands and Mount & Blade it turns out they are making a "sandbox" in the manner of Mafia with all kinds of (probably terrible) story fu instead of a proper sandbox like the games they mentioned which is why they can't just swap the gender on the pc.

Yeah, although focusing on a single narrative could help pull back from the crazy unrealistic design goals towards something that can actually become a video game.

Also games like Skyrim tend to walk a nice balance between both; you have the fixed narrative there but there's still plenty of sandbox poo poo that can happen.

We'll have to see how it all works out.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

SupSuper posted:

Not to mention the cost of taking a full orchestra on the road for the tour is $$, so I agree that their ticket sales for the concerts are just barely covering their expenses (and maybe still not even). I am seeing them in the Palais des Congrès in Paris on the 5th; that place by itself must be insanely costly to book.

While I am here, I am sad that No Pineapple Left Behind didn't meet its funding goal. I hope they rally back for another attempt with a demo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Whoever is doing the news letter for Bedlam really needs to tone it the hell down. I'm getting one, sometimes two emails every two days and it's all a clusterfuck of bold letters and multiple exclamation and question marks. It's like they're written by a teenager with ADD.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

a woman becoming so would be just as implausible and probably has as much actual historical precedent.

Joan of Arc.

I can dig out a bunch more examples that were even less figureheady, but they're all exceptions to the rule. There were significant numbers of females, when faced with starvation or prostitution, cut their hair and hefted something pointy. I agree with you generally, though.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

Whoever is doing the news letter for Bedlam really needs to tone it the hell down. I'm getting one, sometimes two emails every two days and it's all a clusterfuck of bold letters and multiple exclamation and question marks. It's like they're written by a teenager with ADD.
It's not really something new.
I've seen it plenty of times when a Kickstarter is very close to reaching it's goal within the last couple of days. They just push on and send out one mail a day, especially if they suddenly reach the goal and can see that stretch goals could also be reached.

You can just go in and disable all mails from the particular campaign and enable it later on.

It's definitely better to see some enthusiasm than a couple of Kickstarters I pledged to, where it was mostly silence all the way through and only a "Yay" a week after reaching the finish line.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wouldn't have been satisfied unless it accurately portrayed what it was like to have your period in medieval times.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I know eastern europeans can work on less

Czech Republic is not Eastern Europe :negative:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Czech Republic is not Eastern Europe :negative:
Berlin and the Eastern border of Finland mark Eastern Europe.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hey guys, remember this?

Notable Bizarro-Earthbound Lisa: The Painful RPG has a new trailer. It's, uh, certainly something.

edit: it looks really cool in some ways, but at the same time...just so weird.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 24, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hav posted:

Joan of Arc.

I can dig out a bunch more examples that were even less figureheady, but they're all exceptions to the rule. There were significant numbers of females, when faced with starvation or prostitution, cut their hair and hefted something pointy. I agree with you generally, though.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear but that was literally my point; which is why appealing to historical accuracy in this case is was such a ridiculous thing to do.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cicero posted:

Hey guys, remember this?

Notable Bizarro-Earthbound Lisa: The Painful RPG has a new trailer. It's, uh, certainly something.

This may be the scariest looking horror game I've ever seen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pavlov posted:

This may be the scariest looking horror game I've ever seen.

Ahaha *Beastborn tosses a deer*

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fart of Presto posted:

It's not really something new.
I've seen it plenty of times when a Kickstarter is very close to reaching it's goal within the last couple of days. They just push on and send out one mail a day, especially if they suddenly reach the goal and can see that stretch goals could also be reached.

You can just go in and disable all mails from the particular campaign and enable it later on.

It's definitely better to see some enthusiasm than a couple of Kickstarters I pledged to, where it was mostly silence all the way through and only a "Yay" a week after reaching the finish line.

They've actually been doing it for the majority of the campaign. I've gotten 29 updates from them since September 26th, which works out to a (current) average of 1 email per day.

While I certainly appreciate the communication, it is coming across as a bit much. On the bright side, it did finally motivate me to build some filtering rules so that KS updates can automatically go into their own area.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cicero posted:

Hey guys, remember this?

This looks loving sweet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It somehow has not made it through Greenlight yet: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=266349518

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

Hey guys, remember this?

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: :stonk:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I backed 3 too, but I figured most money from post-Kickstarter sales would be able to go to the next one. I mean, if he runs it at that tight of a profit margin, more power to him, but it doesn't seem sustainable past the first couple times to run a Kickstarter every time he wants to do a new album.

I can't imagine that the post-sales of the album are terribly high, most of the interested people probably already pledged for the KS. As it is, Tommy spent a ton of his own money for things like better quality recording studios and a massive launch party (which was free for anyone to join, you didn't have to pledge some overpriced tier). You can just tell he really loves what he does and I don't really think he's in it for the money. He also loves his fans and is always a really lively guy with interviews. Level 3 was also incredibly well run, he gave us plenty of updates and kept things on schedule, so the guy definitely knows what he's doing and isn't all talk.

I just can't help but fund his stuff with all the enthusiasm he has.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Bedlam ended its campaign today, making $166k and hitting almost all of it's listed stretch goals. I'm really looking forward to how this one turns out, because it's just got so much character.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Stonehearth seems to be making steady progress, watched the latest Alpha 5 video and it seems like its shaping up pretty darn neat.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Black The Fall has almost funded 2 days before the deadline. Might be because I've grown up in a post-communist industrial landscape, but this is seriously one of the most beautiful sidescrollers I've ever seen, both worldbuilding and graphics-wise

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone got any recollection as to what ended up happening with a game that was on Kickstarter a while back? I think there was goon involvement but I can't be certain. It involved a very evil flower and I think the mechanics were that you didn't kill things in the game, you said nice things and forgave them. There was a world and exploration ala Earthbound. I think there was maybe something regarding "love" or "kind" in the title.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
You're talking about the clown game I think

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

You're talking about the clown game I think

I don't recall a clown. I think there was a kid, there was an evil flower and some kind of mentor character that initially guided you around and pleaded with you to act 'nicely' towards things, rather than the typical RPG approach of killmurderkill.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Innerguard posted:

Has anyone got any recollection as to what ended up happening with a game that was on Kickstarter a while back? I think there was goon involvement but I can't be certain. It involved a very evil flower and I think the mechanics were that you didn't kill things in the game, you said nice things and forgave them. There was a world and exploration ala Earthbound. I think there was maybe something regarding "love" or "kind" in the title.

It's Undertale, and as far as I know it's still trudging along. I checked the kickstarter and there was an update at the end of August.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Epic Manager: Create your own Adventuring Agency

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1106152318/epic-manager-create-your-own-adventuring-agency

Let me quote:

quote:

The gameplay features the roster management & character progression of games like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics, narrative choices & consequences in the beloved tradition of gamebooks series such as Choose your own Adventure or Fighting Fantasy, the epic scope of a Dungeon & Dragons campaign or a Lord of the Rings novel, and the humoristic tone of the Princess Bride all in one awesome package!

Small team of developpers from Montreal, Canada. I'm not affiliated with them, I don't know them. But this sure looks fun! Minimal fee to get the game: 15$

Pre-Alpha Visuals:

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 29, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I want to throw some love to some local guys here in Dallas with a kickstarter called InnerSpace.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074789246/innerspace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9zpGUnbzo

kickstarter page posted:

InnerSpace is an exploration flying game being developed for PC, Mac, and Linux. Set in a world where physics are inverted, explore a setting of interconnected, inverted spheres. Each is an interior world of once-inhabited islands surrounded by water, where gravity pulls outwards, away from the center.

Piloting an agile craft, take the role of an unnamed cartographer to explore the various bubble-worlds, collect relics, and encounter each bubble’s unique patron deity- all in order to discover more about the universe, its history, and its future.

They are a bunch of college kids but they have so far shown off a really beautiful exploration game at the local game dev meetups as well as received some press from Kotaku and the like. It's definitely worth giving a look into if you're into these type of games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poemdexter posted:

I want to throw some love to some local guys here in Dallas with a kickstarter called InnerSpace.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074789246/innerspace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ9zpGUnbzo

They are a bunch of college kids but they have so far shown off a really beautiful exploration game at the local game dev meetups as well as received some press from Kotaku and the like. It's definitely worth giving a look into if you're into these type of games.

Richardson? Plano? They've gotta be... yep. UT Dallas.

Too bad they didn't have kickstarter when I was in college there :argh:

I'd seen that game before and it does seem pretty cool. They really need a new name though; it makes me think of the movie innerspace aka fantastic voyage, shrinking down and going into somebody's body, and that's not what its about at all. Also makes me think of inner space caverns, and it has nothing to do with spelunking.

Love their abstract art style though :3:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Richardson? Plano? They've gotta be... yep. UT Dallas.

Too bad they didn't have kickstarter when I was in college there :argh:

I'd seen that game before and it does seem pretty cool. They really need a new name though; it makes me think of the movie innerspace aka fantastic voyage, shrinking down and going into somebody's body, and that's not what its about at all. Also makes me think of inner space caverns, and it has nothing to do with spelunking.

Love their abstract art style though :3:

UT Dallas has the guildhall that has been pumping out some quality students as far as I've seen. A lot of them get picked up after college by local studios, Gearbox, ID, robot entertainment, etc. Are you in the Dallas area still? You should come kick it with us sometime.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poemdexter posted:

UT Dallas has the guildhall that has been pumping out some quality students as far as I've seen. A lot of them get picked up after college by local studios, Gearbox, ID, robot entertainment, etc. Are you in the Dallas area still? You should come kick it with us sometime.

I used to go to guildhall meetings :cheeky: Got to meet Randy Pitchford at one!

Sadly I graduated right as a bunch of studios closed down, so I had a hard time finding a gaming job. (Even with previous industry experience)

That said I got a kickass job doing regular programming, and they've been throwing raises at me so fast I haven't had time to think about getting back into games. Plus I'm tooling around on my own indie stuff in my free time, so that's cool.

Nah, I'm in Austin now. I've done the Austin -> Dallas drive a million times, but its just long enough I won't be popping in anytime soon.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Epic Manager: Create your own Adventuring Agency

*snip*

I've grown wary of games that make their pitch by invoking the names of other games, but oh man, I'm a sucker for anything described as "like Final Fantasy Tactics". I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mimetic posted:

I've grown wary of games that make their pitch by invoking the names of other games, but oh man, I'm a sucker for anything described as "like Final Fantasy Tactics". I'll have to keep an eye on it.

"roster job management like Final Fantasy Tactics". Seems boring to me, but if that's your thing... :shrug:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anything that should make me wary about the Black Glove kickstarter? It seems interesting to me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Other than it's dead in the water? Unless you have £300k to chuck in I don't think there's much to worry about.