Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just backed this, and noticed that between today and yesterday Kickstarter have upgraded their post-pledge screen; it's now blue, and has expandable text of the level you just pledged as well as an edit pledge button. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You guys can't keep doing this to me this'll mean I can't eat next month stop posting great kickstarters :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does this game have a ton of characters like the Suikoden games?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Not really sure which music tracks you guys are listening to in Americana Dawn, but all the ones I've clicked have been both painfully shrill and boring at the same time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly, that music is entirely unremarkable.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I hope Americana dawn gets released but I can't bring myself to throw money at a project that has already had a successful Kickstarter and isn't even projected to be released for 2 more years. Especially considering how often Kickstarter games get pushed back...

Also I think race relations in early America is a pretty... ambitious topic to be tackling in a JRPG and I can't imagine it being handled particularly gracefully

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 20, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Honestly, that music is entirely unremarkable.

Yeah. I mean, I like Shnabubula's work, but this isn't anything particularly special. They seem to have taken all the worst, most overcompressed instrumental approximations they used late in the SNES's life cycle rather than play to the generation's strength of nebulous but clean synths.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
rpg_town.mid has really opened my eyes. I'm putting down $1,000 on this JRPG's second Kickstarter right now.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah. I mean, I like Shnabubula's work, but this isn't anything particularly special. They seem to have taken all the worst, most overcompressed instrumental approximations they used late in the SNES's life cycle rather than play to the generation's strength of nebulous but clean synths.
This is why Genesis music still sounds :krad: while late SNES music just sounds :geno:

Oh! There's a new update out for Distance! They put together an Imgur album to work as a "visual changelog"

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 20, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Great Joe posted:

This is why Genesis music still sounds :krad: while late SNES music just sounds :geno:

Oh great, this old chestnut. I don't even know what it means considering several late SNES games like Terranigma had incredible music. As opposed to what in the earlier days? This actually reminds me a lot of the Quintet games in style, and that's pretty cool.

Not gonna back it 'cause I think it sounds like a shaky proposition, but I hope to play it when it's done.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Great Joe posted:

Actually, it's entirely dependent on the composer and the resources available to them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't even know what it means considering several late SNES games like Terranigma had incredible music. As opposed to what in the earlier days?

Listen to some music from the older SNES games, and then listen to the instruments found in ones like Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, or even Chrono Trigger. It does depend on the composer (for example, Uematsu, Ryuji Sasai, Kenji Ito, and a good number of no-name composers didn't this too much while Mitsuda, Sakimoto, and Shimomura did sometimes later in the SNES's life cycle, and then Sakuraba really loved it), but there's "SNES instruments" that are crisp but chippy, and then there are "real life instrument" approximations that are muffled and sound almost like when they put voice clips in SNES games--almost as if they recorded an actual instrument, but then sampled them waaaaay down.

The kickstarter explicitly states that they're going for that SNES sound, but then they take what is in my opinion the most unfortunate use of its sound chip and run with it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 20, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It is bounded by technical limitations, though. The Sega Genesis audio chip uses FM synthesis (think a Korg synthesizer), while the SPC-700 used by the SNES is fully sample-based, where you have up to 8 active samples at any time. The samples need to be pre-loaded, have a size limit, and are stored in a compressed format known as BRR which has really harsh quantization noise, giving it that "sounds like a phone line" quality. Not to mention that the standard tooling shipped by Nintendo on the SDK was quite poorly written and doesn't do any dithering on the input.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is bounded by technical limitations, though. The Sega Genesis audio chip uses FM synthesis (think a Korg synthesizer), while the SPC-700 used by the SNES is fully sample-based, where you have up to 8 active samples at any time. The samples need to be pre-loaded, have a size limit, and are stored in a compressed format known as BRR which has really harsh quantization noise, giving it that "sounds like a phone line" quality. Not to mention that the standard tooling shipped by Nintendo on the SDK was quite poorly written and doesn't do any dithering on the input.

I recognized some of those words!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
SNES music can be awesome. This whole soundtrack is beautiful and like nothing else I have heard on the SNES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ8Ehj50C1A#t=2327

I'd love a remake of this game one day.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yasunori Mitsuda sacrificed many babies to make the Chrono Trigger soundtrack sound that loving amazing.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

That's not The Spirit Chaser :colbert:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

AbstractNapper posted:

But if he is starting from ground up (or from the original SCUMM as a reference) and aiming support for multiple current platforms, then maybe AGS (being also open source and all) would be a better choice. I am not entirely sure about AGS' exact degree of support for platforms other than PC, though.
For reference, AGS isn't open-source and its platform support is fairly lacking.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yasunori Mitsuda sacrificed many babies to make the Chrono Trigger soundtrack sound that loving amazing.

No, but he did sacrifice himself.

Wikipedia posted:

Mitsuda was assigned as the sole composer for the game, in the end creating 54 tracks for the final release. Mitsuda drove himself to work hard on the score, frequently working until he passed out, and would awake with ideas for songs such as the ending theme for the game. He worked so hard that he developed stomach ulcers and had to be hospitalized, which led Nobuo Uematsu to offer to finish the remaining tracks for him; Uematsu ended up composing ten tracks, one of which he was assisted on by Noriko Matsueda.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, I appreciate that in a whole new way now.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cheez posted:

Actually, it's entirely dependent on the composer and the resources available to them.

Uh I think you'll find that sega does what nintendon't

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, Sega can do a lot of nasty robot farts. You just got owned, Nintendo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The two systems approach sounds from entirely different directions. With an approach tailored to a specific system's way of doing things, you can make either do amazing things that the other can't. The SNES sound system had an awful lot of advantages and abilities over the Genesis as well, and is technologically significantly more impressive. That said, it was also a lot easier to make sound mediocre.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 21, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Being easier to sound mediocre beats the poo poo out of "super easy to sound awful" like the Genesis and the default sound driver on it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine is a point-and-clicker about a crazy scientist who starts to screw with the past after his invention of the time machine doesn't get the recognition he felt it deserved and you, his well-meaning, if not-too-bright assistant who has to repair the timeline before IT'S TOO LATE.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Megazver posted:

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine is a point-and-clicker about a crazy scientist who starts to screw with the past after his invention of the time machine doesn't get the recognition he felt it deserved and you, his well-meaning, if not-too-bright assistant who has to repair the timeline before IT'S TOO LATE.

This is a retooling of Inspire Me!, which focused on the fact that the chapters are based around great inventors and creators and their inspirations. Its Kickstarter tanked, and this one's doing better.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How many babies did it take for Yoko Shimomura to create the Super Mario RPG soundtrack? It had to have been at least, like, a dozen. And they were probably orphans, too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

No Gravitas posted:

SNES music can be awesome.

There's a lot of woefully forgotten soundtracks from Konami SNES games.

Megazver posted:

Something about that mouth animation feels super-familiar, though I don't recognize the artist. It's really giving me some weird deja vu.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If you don't think Phantasy Star 3 is one of the best soundtracks in gaming you probably just don't appreciate music. Genesis owns

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
"Kickstarter Gaming - Where The Console Wars From 1991 Are Still Going On"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We're overdue for a kickstarter seeking to fund the spiritual sequel to Pong

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

NTRabbit posted:

We're overdue for a kickstarter seeking to fund the spiritual sequel to Pong
That game already came out and didn't need to be Kickstarted.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for posting this.

Also, retro music.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

signalnoise posted:

If you don't think Phantasy Star 3 is one of the best soundtracks in gaming you probably just don't appreciate music. Genesis owns

Ah yes, Farts: The Soundtrack truly was the best of music for the era.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

signalnoise posted:

:raise:

Did you mean 4?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

you're all wrong, sonic spinball shows off the genesis' musical muscle the best

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1601737664/melee-battlegrounds-spiritual-successor-to-the-crp/posts/1060141

Pretty much, as it says, it's made by the same guys who modded Mount and Blade: Warband into c-rpg. Standard first/third person sword fighting game with what seems like quite a bit of customization. You can also make your own maps as well which is pretty cool.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zereth posted:

:raise:

Did you mean 4?

No, 3. Phantasy Star 3: Baroque Electronic Fart Symphony

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Fart Symphony
Baroque wind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Buck & Miles Kickstarter launched a few days ago. It looks like it'll be a fun platformer, reminds me of Adventure Island and the Mario Land games.