Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They seem to be planning to make one of the blood thing and use it as a gimmicky way to get gamers to donate blood at blood drives rather than a commercial product.

EDIT: Still doesn't seem like a good idea but it's not an incredibly terrible one like it looks at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Don't get me wrong. I like that they want to convince people to donate more blood. That's a noble effort. But this is probably the worst way to do it, short of handing around a rusty syringe. Do blood banks even accept self filled bags? That seems quite insecure and probably unsanitary.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be performance art / an 'event' and not The Next Generation of Videogames.

I think it's amusing but I think their implementation is lame as gently caress because rumbles are used for a lot more than taking damage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Look, just because you don't have a medical professional doesn't mean you can't perform medical procedures! They're giving blood!... that nobody will want.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Everything is fine and dandy until someone encounters a continuous rumble glitch and dies on live stream. At which point everything becomes fantastic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

Everything is fine and dandy until someone encounters a continuous rumble glitch and dies on live stream. At which point everything becomes fantastic.

As a nuclear engineer I'm used to designing multiple layers of safety interlocks into everything.

These guys, though... :getin:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

My vote is on semi-elaborate hoax. Kickstart an obvious failure of an idea as a joke, set a high price mark, and if it succeeds by some miracle I guess they'll make the stupid things and just be rich.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Air is lava! posted:

Don't get me wrong. I like that they want to convince people to donate more blood. That's a noble effort. But this is probably the worst way to do it, short of handing around a rusty syringe. Do blood banks even accept self filled bags? That seems quite insecure and probably unsanitary.
The plan is apparently to make one to take to actual blood drives.

Still seems like a bad idea for reasons like say

Sigma-X posted:

I think it's amusing but I think their implementation is lame as gently caress because rumbles are used for a lot more than taking damage.
but criticizing it for things it's not doing, like random assholes filling up bags at home, and killing themselves becuase they drained all their blood because they're bad, since it-

Blood Sport posted:

WAIVER
Anyone who pledges to try blood sport must first sign an injury waiver on the day of, the same kind you'd sign if you were going skydiving or entering a karate tournament.
Wait what? :stonk:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
On second thought, it sounds like an efficient (and fun!) way to kill gamers. I'm for it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
*BOOM!*

"You'll never defeat Androooosssssssss!!!!!!!!"

*heart attack*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

So normally we can draw the blood we need in a couple minutes.

Lets drag that out into an entire gaming session, where the machine keeps turning the blood flow on and off, because that'll just be super.

Is this supposed to make you more willing to donate blood? Because I'd much rather just get it the gently caress over with.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be performance art / an 'event' and not The Next Generation of Videogames.

performance art is dumb :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Playing an action-packed video game is also going to send up your heart rate and blood pressure. That will probably cause difficulties with the collection process, as well as the4 issues of twitching with a needle in your arm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

On second thought, it sounds like an efficient (and fun!) way to kill gamers. I'm for it.
You know what, good point.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I don't think the thing stopping people from donating blood is it cutting into their gaming time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Someone could make a mod for Diablo 2 that makes the health orb the approximate amount of blood in a human body. The Ultimate Iron Man Mode.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

performance art is dumb :colbert:

Actually it's really entertaining, at least if the responses in this thread are any indication.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Playing an action-packed video game is also going to send up your heart rate and blood pressure. That will probably cause difficulties with the collection process, as well as the4 issues of twitching with a needle in your arm.

Well the heart rate and pressure issues would give you better blood collection, the moving around would make things a bit dicey.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't think the thing stopping people from donating blood is it cutting into their gaming time.

You would think, but when I go to donate blood, they always want to make small talk so I can't play phone games. Those blood donation people and their wanting to make sure I stay conscious...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

In which case, it's been done better before.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

quote:

It was retired in 2013 at Burning Man, where all the components were gathered into a pile and a piano was dropped on it.
I should really start saving money to attend one of those Burning Man's.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Blood Sport's campaign has been suspended.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Reminder that Epic Manager's campaign is ending this coming Friday and they're almost to their goal. I think it looks super fun and would really like to see it made, so if you haven't seen it then take a look.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Orzo posted:

Blood Sport's campaign has been suspended.

What, did someone find out that they'd have to get it registered with the FDA due to being a medical device?

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
I'm liking Armello's beta so far, though there's some bugs, some missing content, and some gameplay mechanisms to iron out.

Has anyone else had the chance to try it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Great Rumbler posted:

In the interest of returning to the thread's stated topic: Thimbleweed Park, the new adventure game from Ron Gilbert, is at $342k [91% of its goal] after just five days.
I have not been in this thread for two years but I came back just to see if anyone was talking about this. Pretty awesome stuff all around. If you are going to go retro, man, GO RETRO. I am pretty stoked to see how this turns out.

In the spirit of saying controversial things on those rare occasions when I can put all my heart and soul behind them, as someone who never understood the love for Tim Schafer and who thought Ron Gilbert was the greatest adventure game mind ever, I happily threw my support behind this despite the fact that I loathe adventure games as a genre. It helps that the Monkey Island games were the only adventure games I legitimately enjoyed rather than just angrily running through the whole thing with a walkthrough wondering why I yet again wasted my money.

OK Loom was cool too BUT THAT IS IT

I guess I also enjoyed Hero's Quest before it became Quest For Glory

hi

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

hi

:qfg:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Sketch Tales is, uh, a sandbox procedurally generated action RPG + Drawn to Life. It's developed by some more of the former STALKER devs and the lead apparently sold his apartment to finance the prototype. poo poo, hope it works out for him.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 25, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

I have not been in this thread for two years but I came back just to see if anyone was talking about this. Pretty awesome stuff all around. If you are going to go retro, man, GO RETRO. I am pretty stoked to see how this turns out.

In the spirit of saying controversial things on those rare occasions when I can put all my heart and soul behind them, as someone who never understood the love for Tim Schafer and who thought Ron Gilbert was the greatest adventure game mind ever, I happily threw my support behind this despite the fact that I loathe adventure games as a genre. It helps that the Monkey Island games were the only adventure games I legitimately enjoyed rather than just angrily running through the whole thing with a walkthrough wondering why I yet again wasted my money.

OK Loom was cool too BUT THAT IS IT

hi

Glad it's gotten funded by now, then. I hope they make it to at least a few translation goals by the end of all this. The rest of the money can be saved up for that Simon the Sorcerer kickstarter dropping, hopefully, any day now.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Megazver posted:

So Sketch Tales is, uh, a sandbox procedurally generated action RPG + Drawn to Life. It's developed by some more of the former STALKER devs and the lead apparently sold his appartment to finance the prototype. poo poo, hope it works out for him.

At first glance I thought this was Goblet Grotto

Probably won't be 1/10th as good, sadly.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Megazver posted:

So Sketch Tales is, uh, a sandbox procedurally generated action RPG + Drawn to Life. It's developed by some more of the former STALKER devs and the lead apparently sold his apartment to finance the prototype. poo poo, hope it works out for him.

I would say "don't quit your day job" and/or "don't sell your apartment" if I saw that but I guess it's too late for either :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I won't say there isn't potential there, but not $50.000 worth. There is a freeware game from a few years back with the exact same style and concept. I forget what it's called, but as I recall it actually looks better than that too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know Minecraft when I see it and that sir, is Minecraft. But somehow uglier.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Those kind of games were pretty cool at first, but the market is just so absolutely flooded with them right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I know Minecraft when I see it and that sir, is Minecraft. But somehow uglier.

I would have loved that style when I was 10, though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Are the graphics procedurally generated as well? Because they look like a dumb computer child drew them. They are ugly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They said "action RPG + Drawn to Life" which I assume means that you, sir, the very player, are the one drawing the graphics

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

They said "action RPG + Drawn to Life" which I assume means that you, sir, the very player, are the one drawing the graphics

Yeah, that was my description. Sorry. The whole point of the game is that you draw all that poo poo and it appears in the game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:woop: Open beta date for Distance confirmed! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AFXGzrhrs

It's pretty much complete already, so don't hesitate to go for it once it's out!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
gently caress yes I can't wait.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So Ashen Rift looks pretty rad: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1763303301/ashen-rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus, that makes Bioware's facial hair and animations tech look loving shameful