Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Basic Chunnel posted:

Maybe out-in-the-open slugfests were never that great.

This is the phrase that needs to be emblazoned on the wall of every RPG developer's studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mycot posted:

Did the opinion on Wasteland 2 go sour really fast or something, because I've seen it mentioned as an example of an unsatisfying/disappointing KS game a few times now.

it turns out that what brian fargo was so vehemently and needlessly fighting against the Oh So Hated Publishers to make was a third-rate Fallout clone with boring characters grafted onto a third-rate X-COM clone with easy and boring combat combined with the most byzantine and pointlessly obtuse levelling system ever

there's literally no point in playing it when everything, everything it does another game does better. it isn't unique or distinguishing at all and on top of that it's kind of ugly

it's kind of mind-boggling to think that it's not even the best third-person top down turn-based strategy rpg funded on kickstarter that was released this year. not even the second-best if you consider shadowrun to have been released "This year" with dragonfall

Wasteland 2 redefines the word "mediocre". it's almost stunning how mediocre in every aspect it is

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All I got out of that is that you think it's "stunning".

Edit: "Wasteland 2... It's.. stunning..."
-Toxxupation

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Speaking of Harebrained Schemes and Shadowrun: HBS have just announced that they will return for a new Shadowrun Kickstarter in January 2015 - there are no details.

I am impressed, I think this is their fourth time going to this they try to Kickstart something, and while I did not back their two last campaigns, I might just do it this time. I do love me some Shadowrun.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, Dragonfall was really, really good, much better than the Seattle campaign they launched Shadowrun Returns with. I'm interested to see what they're going to do.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
"Shadowrun returns to Kickstarter January 2015"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/1085740

The image has the HBS logo in it, so it looks like a new game from them, not just a new Shadowrun property on Kickstarter. I'm stoked.

E:fb

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mimetic posted:

"Shadowrun returns to Kickstarter January 2015"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/1085740

The image has the HBS logo in it, so it looks like a new game from them, not just a new Shadowrun property on Kickstarter. I'm stoked.

E:fb

Harebrained Schemes is hiring a Unity 3D Environment Artist and a designer who can commit up to July 2015 with familiarity with the Shadowrun universe as a bonus.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, Dragonfall was really, really good, much better than the Seattle campaign they launched Shadowrun Returns with. I'm interested to see what they're going to do.

For serious. They released a Director's Cut of Dragonfall as a stand-alone released (and upgraded it if you already had it) and it's seriously amazing. If you're at all interested in the idea of a Shadowrun RPG, even if you hated Dead Man's Switch, you gotta try Dragonfall.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

it's kind of mind-boggling to think that it's not even the best third-person top down turn-based strategy rpg funded on kickstarter that was released this year. not even the second-best if you consider shadowrun to have been released "This year" with dragonfall

What was the best one, out of interest? I was enjoying Wasteland 2 quite a bit, but then I was mostly comparing the combat to Fallout's (which I hated), and I stopped when I realised they were releasing 2GB patches every couple of weeks and I'd have a much better time if I waited until they were done with it. I mostly wish I'd waited on Dragonfall as well, although I'll get to the director's cut eventually and am totally on board for their next thing if they're planning to take the next step on that path. Not too optimistic that they'll get a success on a par with the original Shadowrun kickstarter, but I'll give them a shot anyway.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ikaragu posted:

What was the best one, out of interest?

Divinity: Original Sin, presumably.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ikaragu posted:

What was the best one, out of interest? I was enjoying Wasteland 2 quite a bit, but then I was mostly comparing the combat to Fallout's (which I hated), and I stopped when I realised they were releasing 2GB patches every couple of weeks and I'd have a much better time if I waited until they were done with it. I mostly wish I'd waited on Dragonfall as well, although I'll get to the director's cut eventually and am totally on board for their next thing if they're planning to take the next step on that path. Not too optimistic that they'll get a success on a par with the original Shadowrun kickstarter, but I'll give them a shot anyway.

I think a lot of people prefer Divinity: Original Sin.

I like both and I'm not sure I could choose between them. Wasteland 2 is more traditional and more difficult, D:OS does a lot of interesting new things while still feeling familiar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Divinity Original Sin wasn't only funded by Kickstarter though, so its a bit of an unfair comparison in regards to quality and content, though I supposed inXile may have had some outside help they didn't disclose (or that I missed them disclosing). I'm not sure if Larian were only using the money they themselves have been getting from the sale of their past games or if they had some private investment as well but the $1 million or so they got from kickstarter wasn't even half of the entire budget, even before you take out Kickstarter/Amazon fees and pledge tier fulfillment.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
Ah, OK. Divinity rubbed me the wrong way early on due to a combination of the writing, the endless stream of collectible tat and the bland & oversized town you end up at towards the beginning. I definitely enjoyed Wasteland more from what I played, I need to give them both some more time though.

Kibayasu posted:

Divinity Original Sin wasn't only funded by Kickstarter though, so its a bit of an unfair comparison in regards to quality and content, though I supposed inXile may have had some outside help they didn't disclose (or that I missed them disclosing). I'm not sure if Larian were only using the money they themselves have been getting from the sale of their past games or if they had some private investment as well but the $1 million or so they got from kickstarter wasn't even half of the entire budget, even before you take out Kickstarter/Amazon fees and pledge tier fulfillment.

There'd have been the early access period, presumably. Speaking for myself I mostly consider how developers fund the games to be their business rather than mine though, if the end result is that the game funded outside of Kickstarter is better then the game funded outside of Kickstarter is better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ikaragu posted:

Divinity

Divinity has better gameplay (and at least some lively and interesting, if not necessarily good characters) and Shadowrun has a better setting, storytelling, characters, dialog, and art

Both had better levelling systems, which is the only outright Objectively Bad thing in Wasteland 2 (but holy poo poo is it fuckin bad)

The most damning thing I can say about Wasteland 2 is that it doesn't have anything worth criticizing because so much of it is so half-baked

I have a hard time coming up with bad things to say about Wasteland 2, because like 90% of it is just the most mediocre and bland stuff imaginable

It'd be like trying to criticize plain oatmeal. Wasteland 2 is the plain oatmeal of video games

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
On the other hand I really enjoyed Wasteland 2. It had flaws but it was not only what I expected when I backed it, but well worth the money I spent backing it based on how many hours of enjoyment I got out of it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
All this Wasteland 2 talk finally got me to put down Dragon Age: Inquisition and go back to W2. I was basically at the end, just had a few fights left to clean up. Finally closed it out with over 50 hours on the clock.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Quarex posted:

I think the responses you got are a pretty good subsection. "OMG BUT IT IS GREAT" "OMG BUT IT IS SO OUTDATED THERE IS NO POINT" "not OMG at all, just eh." 81% Metacritic, 7.3 average user score; sounds logical to me, critics are more likely to "see what they did there" and users are more likely to be like "I cannot help but notice this is not, in fact, Fallout 3 But In 1999."

I could certainly get more in-depth with whether you might like the game depending on what you liked about games like Fallout though.

Thanks for the offer, but I was mostly just curious since I'm only vaguely aware of the game and its release despite it being one of the bigger Kickstarter successes. And thanks to everyone who gave their opinion; I guess it either clicked with some people or not rather than being damningly bad in one area.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm just kind of frustrated with how many 90's throwback RPGs are being made and how none of them can seem to make turn-based combat as fun as I remember it being. Maybe out-in-the-open slugfests were never that great.

Yes what the hell is going on I thought everyone learned that cheap graphics and good gameplay/writing is better than mediocre graphics and poo poo everything.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

mycot posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I was mostly just curious since I'm only vaguely aware of the game and its release despite it being one of the bigger Kickstarter successes. And thanks to everyone who gave their opinion; I guess it either clicked with some people or not rather than being damningly bad in one area.
Sounds like it'd be a good sale price game for you, who knows when it will actually drop down to 50% or less, but I'd say give it a try if it does and you're even a little interested.

I'm kinda bummed I paid the full $40 for it. I didn't Kickstart it because I don't have any attachment to Wasteland, never having played it, so part of it may be I'm just not as invested as someone who backed it would be.

Is anyone else surprised at how much the Thimbleweed Park Kickstarter is making? I really didn't expect it to go that high, but looks like they've tapped into a pretty dedicated market. I think of myself as a point and click fan, but I'm a fair weather fan and just don't think going back to the stuff that started to kill adventure games sounds very appealing, so I skipped this one.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is anyone else surprised at how much the Thimbleweed Park Kickstarter is making? I really didn't expect it to go that high, but looks like they've tapped into a pretty dedicated market. I think of myself as a point and click fan, but I'm a fair weather fan and just don't think going back to the stuff that started to kill adventure games sounds very appealing, so I skipped this one.
I'm not into point and clicks as nearly as much as I was in the nineties but Thimbleweed Park hits the nostalgia spot pretty strong. These days it needs more than that to sway me but if this was my first year of Kickstarter backing I'd have jumped on this on day one. I'm glad to see it's doing well though, because if it works out and the game ends up decent I'll pick it up at launch.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
For all your KS adventure needs- at the moment there are 5 (five) point and click projects on Kickstarter. In order of relevancy:

Thimbleweed Park - 153% funded with 33 hours to go and looking real good, in all ways possible (except if you're not into 1987 graphics). I at least am 100% certain it'll come out in time and be great, it's Ron Gilbert after all.

Johnny Rocketfingers 3 - 22% funded with 32 days to go, trending towards 48% of goal. I'm skeptical it'll make it, the asking goal is huge for a flash game.

Viktor - 24% funded with 62 hours to go. It ain't looking good for the Austro-hungarian boar dude.

Absent 2 7% funded with 18 days to go, trending towards 52% of goal. Graphically I'm not convinced to say the least. Haven't played the previous game.

Dog Business - 47% funded with 43 days to go. Then again, its goal is a hundred bucks and there are no graphics, no updates, no comments, no nuffin.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The Rocket Ranger Reloaded project is now about $2,000 short of its base goal with about 14 hours left.
I hope they make it, but it seems a bit difficult. It also looks like a considerable amount of extra in-game content was promised in the stretch goals, which are impossible to reach.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Hollow Knight made it!

Congrats, guys. Well deserved!

Thanks man! I was terrified we wouldn't make it, but we hit it and know we've even achieved a few stretch goals! Noice! I think we may even have a (slight) chance of hitting the Wii U stretch goal, if Miyamoto blesses us with luck.

Here are some celebratory GIFs!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

George Lazenby posted:

Thanks man! I was terrified we wouldn't make it, but we hit it and know we've even achieved a few stretch goals! Noice! I think we may even have a (slight) chance of hitting the Wii U stretch goal, if Miyamoto blesses us with luck.

Congratulations!

So your game isn't all purple after all, huh? Heh. Nice.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I didn't back Shadowrun kickstarted but I really liked dead mans switch and thought Dragonfall was one of the best games this year and would back a new kickstarted from them.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Another Japanese VN got Kickstarted, by blasting through it's $160k goal in the first day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/the-grisaia-trilogy-three-huge-visual-novels-for-p

This time it's the entire Grisaia trilogy, which also has an anime adaptation airing.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Edit: Sorry, double post.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but it is a nukige?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Congratulations!

So your game isn't all purple after all, huh? Heh. Nice.

Not that I paid a lot of attention to it to begin with, but those GIFs just now are the first time I've seen the game not be monochrome.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Great Rumbler posted:

Another Japanese VN got Kickstarted, by blasting through it's $160k goal in the first day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/the-grisaia-trilogy-three-huge-visual-novels-for-p

This time it's the entire Grisaia trilogy, which also has an anime adaptation airing.

Just don't look at the rewards tier. Should've expected that for a VN...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, but it is a nukige?

Doesn't seem to be any adult content in the version they're kickstarting.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Finally hit a, basically, gamebreaking bug in Dead State. Zombies have started glitching through walls and walking off during each other's turns. Gonna suspend my campaign until further patches and play NEO Scavenger instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RadicalR posted:

Just don't look at the rewards tier. Should've expected that for a VN...

...and a bedsheet. With the difference between tiers, a $65 bedsheet at that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The hug pillow is where it's at.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Doesn't seem to be any adult content in the version they're kickstarting.

Honestly? Don't bet against the physical edition being the R-18 version.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Finally hit a, basically, gamebreaking bug in Dead State. Zombies have started glitching through walls and walking off during each other's turns. Gonna suspend my campaign until further patches and play NEO Scavenger instead.

I saw that NEO Scavenger is officially out now. Did they add any more story content to it? When I played, there wasn't anything to do once you got the hang of survival and made it to the city.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Mimetic posted:

I saw that NEO Scavenger is officially out now. Did they add any more story content to it? When I played, there wasn't anything to do once you got the hang of survival and made it to the city.

I think there is more storyline stuff now but I haven't reached it yet. The thread on our fourms has lots of info and the developer posts there when his name is invoked.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mimetic posted:

Supposedly there's a whole big quest after that, at least according to a wiki I found. As in on the other side of the map with several stages that may kill you dead.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toxxupation posted:

it turns out that ... brian fargo ... was ... fighting against ... everything ... ugly.

the best third-person top down turn-based strategy rpg funded on kickstarter that was released

Wasteland 2 redefines the word ... stunning

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm kinda bummed I paid the full $40 for it. I didn't Kickstart it because I don't have any attachment to Wasteland, never having played it, so part of it may be I'm just not as invested as someone who backed it would be.
Yeah, I do not understand people thinking it is mediocre, outside of acknowledging the combat is clearly nothing to write home about. And that is even with me tempering my "OH MY GOD I AM HAVING NEW ADVENTURES IN MY FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME WORLD" enthusiasm for virtually every single moment of the game. I mean, it is very well-written, looks "good enough," has good music/atmosphere, and fills a niche that is still RARELY filled, even if now it is finally once again beginning to BE filled.

Actually I also understand the criticism of the dialogue system; for someone used to the somewhat standard "multiple-choice options" (and particularly if hoping for "different dialogue for low intelligence") it is surely jarring to have "just click through the options, type something in if you can think of something else, move along."

RightClickSaveAs posted:

As someone who hates adventure games and was glad when the genre was declared dead, I backed Thimbleweed Park. Ron Gilbert is the designer that people should be excited about, not Tim Schafer :colbert: (Tim Schafer is not bad or anything though, just never got the love compared to Ron Gilbert who could basically do no wrong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

I never really liked Wasteland, but I backed Wasteland 2 because I want to see something happen in the turn based RPG space. Was I disappointed? Not really, felt like playing Wasteland with updated graphics and more content. I don't see why you'd go in to something like that expecting totally different combat and environments.

e: the one thing that was a disappointment was the (visual) character customization. It occupied a weird middle ground between old school "pick a portrait" and full customization in something like a TES game. Did not like.