Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I do not understand people thinking it is mediocre, outside of acknowledging the combat is clearly nothing to write home about. And that is even with me tempering my "OH MY GOD I AM HAVING NEW ADVENTURES IN MY FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAME WORLD" enthusiasm for virtually every single moment of the game. I mean, it is very well-written, looks "good enough," has good music/atmosphere, and fills a niche that is still RARELY filled, even if now it is finally once again beginning to BE filled.

I don't understand people who think it's mediocre, outside of the gameplay or the art or the setting or the writing or dialog

i mean it fulfills a 'niche' of three games that came out within the same calendar year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Seashell Salesman posted:

e: the one thing that was a disappointment was the (visual) character customization. It occupied a weird middle ground between old school "pick a portrait" and full customization in something like a TES game. Did not like.

I just picked out some custom-made portraits and used the ones I liked for my characters, since I rarely zoomed in close enough to see much of their 3D versions.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Quarex posted:

As someone who hates adventure games and was glad when the genre was declared dead, I backed Thimbleweed Park. Ron Gilbert is the designer that people should be excited about, not Tim Schafer :colbert: (Tim Schafer is not bad or anything though, just never got the love compared to Ron Gilbert who could basically do no wrong)

The Cave and Deathspank have proved that Gilbert can do very much wrong. The Cave especially, that was his huge lifetime passion project and it was just a terrible waste of time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

the black husserl posted:

The Cave and Deathspank have proved that Gilbert can do very much wrong. The Cave especially, that was his huge lifetime passion project and it was just a terrible waste of time.

I think Gilbert described The Cave as more of an idea he's had for a while, not something he's been waiting his whole life to make. If only there was a way to skip those interstitial sections if you wanted to because I actually liked the character specific areas.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

The hug pillow is where it's at.

I'd Kickstart a bad visual novel if I could get my own dakimakura out of it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I never really liked Wasteland, but I backed Wasteland 2 because I want to see something happen in the turn based RPG space. Was I disappointed? Not really, felt like playing Wasteland with updated graphics and more content. I don't see why you'd go in to something like that expecting totally different combat and environments.

People expected something different because so much of the hype focused on funding the spiritual sequel to Fallout and just generally referencing Fallout a whole bunch and getting noteworthy devs to talk about the influence Wasteland had on their own (much better) games. People weren't funding Wasteland 2, they were funding A Fevered Amalgam Of Every CRPG They Ever Enjoyed As A Kid 2.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

the black husserl posted:

When I played through the Cave I was very much left with the impression that something happened during development [either time or budget related] that left all that dead space between areas and also that the "the cave" as a character was supposed to have bunch more spoken dialogue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

, they were funding A Fevered Amalgam Of Every CRPG They Ever Enjoyed As A Kid 2.

That's kind of Kickstarter in a nutshell right there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the writing and art in The Cave, it's the game design I have a problem with. You can take 3 characters at a time but the game has 7 to choose from so even with two playthroughs you cannot see all the backstories and personal character areas. The unique abilities of each character also only see much use in their own areas. The story is where the game shines for me, because the game shows that all the characters are terrible people and their personal areas involve them doing reprehensible things to win.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People expected something different because so much of the hype focused on funding the spiritual sequel to Fallout and just generally referencing Fallout a whole bunch and getting noteworthy devs to talk about the influence Wasteland had on their own (much better) games. People weren't funding Wasteland 2, they were funding A Fevered Amalgam Of Every CRPG They Ever Enjoyed As A Kid 2.
I think Pillars of Eternity will turn out better. It involves all the other people responsible for making Fallout good, and they are aware that Infinity Engine games and D&D had a lot of issues they need to address in their game.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

You forgot to mention with The Cave that to get all the ending slides you have to do the entire game twice with each character, so six runs through the game, with all the little intermediate stages between the character stages being the exact same thing every time.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think rewarding people with different story content for multiple playthroughs is generally a good thing? I recognize the actual gameplay sucks but we have YouTube in 2014

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Wezlar posted:

I think rewarding people with different story content for multiple playthroughs is generally a good thing? I recognize the actual gameplay sucks but we have YouTube in 2014

If the best way to enjoy content from a game is a highlight reel on Youtube., then they did a bad job

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Wezlar posted:

Repeating content a minimum of two, up to six times does not sound like a well-designed game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wezlar posted:

If it's multiple playthroughs with enough differences between them, sure. But with The Cave, you can only do two unique playthroughs but it's not enough to show you everything. Doing another playthrough after that means that you have to repeat a lot of boring things.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If the best way to enjoy content from a game is a highlight reel on Youtube., then they did a bad job

I mean a lovely game is a lovely game :shrug: I'm just saying that getting extra content is good and if you want to see it without actually playing the game you can.

Edit: I guess my point is that I don't think this is a complaint you'd really see if the game was actually fun. So I don't think the problem is so much having to repeat things as it is that those thogs suck to begin with.

Edit: I'm just being stupid. Never mind this dumb derail.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 18, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I think Pillars of Eternity will turn out better. It involves all the other people responsible for making Fallout good, and they are aware that Infinity Engine games and D&D had a lot of issues they need to address in their game.

On one hand, sure. On the other hand, the whole point of PoE is to pander to the grogs who think IE games were absolutely perfect and the systems in the beta still haven't quite gelled yet. I temper my expectations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Quarex posted:

As someone who hates adventure games and was glad when the genre was declared dead, I backed Thimbleweed Park. Ron Gilbert is the designer that people should be excited about, not Tim Schafer :colbert: (Tim Schafer is not bad or anything though, just never got the love compared to Ron Gilbert who could basically do no wrong)
Personally I'm the opposite, I love adventure games and don't get why people would pine over Ron Gilbert. :shrug: Sure Monkey Island was good, but it was obviously lightning in a bottle since everything else he did was distinctively average, and in the meantime there were plenty of other good adventures to go around.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Didn't Ron Gilbert disappear making kids games for like 15 years? Seems the only traditional type games since then is Deathspank and The Cave.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AbstractNapper posted:

The Rocket Ranger Reloaded project is now about $2,000 short of its base goal with about 14 hours left.
I hope they make it, but it seems a bit difficult. It also looks like a considerable amount of extra in-game content was promised in the stretch goals, which are impossible to reach.

Rocket Ranger made it. 90,715 / 89,999. Good for them! I enjoyed the demo, great skybox & clouds, very nice color scheme, I would've liked some more animation in the Rocket Ranger's model.

SupSuper posted:

Personally I'm the opposite, I love adventure games and don't get why people would pine over Ron Gilbert. Sure Monkey Island was good, but it was obviously lightning in a bottle since everything else he did was distinctively average, and in the meantime there were plenty of other good adventures to go around

Ron & Tim = winning team. I'm still holding out hope on them teaming up some time in the future, that'd definitely result in an instant classic. Just no 1987 graphics for me - I never played MM back in the day, so nostalgia factor does nothing for me. I'm happy with jumping 10 years ahead and having CoMI graphics. One can only dream...

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Megazver posted:

On one hand, sure. On the other hand, the whole point of PoE is to pander to the grogs who think IE games were absolutely perfect and the systems in the beta still haven't quite gelled yet. I temper my expectations.
From what I've seen, those grogs have been supremely unhappy with a variety of things in the game so far.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Doesn't seem to be any adult content in the version they're kickstarting.

According to the comments they're kickstarting both, but you only get the all ages version out of kickstarter rewards. Sounds like a good way to claim nerd money twice.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Basic Chunnel posted:

From what I've seen, those grogs have been supremely unhappy with a variety of things in the game so far.
Grogs gonna grog. The only really solid misstep was the skill/talent linking thing they did awhile back and last I remember they were going to separate them again. Really there's no point in paying attention to 90% of the 'fans' of any genre/style of game as they are always impossible to please. They'll be pissed off at PoE just until the next game in the genre and everyone will talk about how that game is a disappointment compared to PoE. Until one day the genre will be totally dead and whatever game happens to be last will forever be known as the one that killed it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In other news, they're releasing a slightly polished up version of Outcast on Steam soon:

quote:

Outcast 1.1 has been recompiled from the original source code. It still using the original voxel technology but it comes with following enhancements: the voxel rendering is now multithreaded for higher performance, the software meshes benefit of bilinear filtering, part of the HUD have been redesigned, skies have been painted in high-resolution, it natively supports Xbox pad, it includes a user friendly Controller configurator, it works properly on various resolutions, up to 1080p, it works in fullscreen or windowed, it features a new launcher, and a significant number of bugs fixed.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Megazver posted:

In other news, they're releasing a slightly polished up version of Outcast on Steam soon:

"soon" meaning "in 3 hours"
http://store.steampowered.com/app/336610/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I am a little scared to see how well it aged, but back in the day this was pretty much the best game ever.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Megazver posted:

I am a little scared to see how well it aged, but back in the day this was pretty much the best game ever.

I guess it hasn't aged well at all. I think i might stay away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

it isn't unique or distinguishing at all and on top of that it's kind of ugly

I thought it was dumb they made it look "realistic" instead of trying to mimic the look of the original (I know it looked that way because of limitations of old computers but still).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Megazver posted:

"Story
In 2007, the U.S. government successfully sends a probe to an alien world in a parallel universe..."

:allears:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So I was wondering, what's the deal with most KSs being 30 days ones? I'm looking at Johnny Rocketfingers 3 and its longer funding period, and it seems to work out for them - they're sloooowly going up. How come no one goes for the longer, 50-60 days periods? Do they tend to lose momentum and peter out?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Mr Underhill posted:

So I was wondering, what's the deal with most KSs being 30 days ones? I'm looking at Johnny Rocketfingers 3 and its longer funding period, and it seems to work out for them - they're sloooowly going up. How come no one goes for the longer, 50-60 days periods? Do they tend to lose momentum and peter out?

Kickstarters make most of their money in the first two days and the last two days. Dragging it out over a longer period of time generally just results in a lot of days in the middle with very little movement.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dr Suntory posted:

I guess it hasn't aged well at all. I think i might stay away.

I'm honestly disappointed. They make a big deal about all the changes under the hood, but the original game ran like a dream on a midrange computer over a decade ago. In the first video on the Steam page, there's a few seconds where the top of a nearby building pops in and out of existence. That's just inexcusable.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I don't know if the castle story guys consider "completely rewrote three major systems" as a positive thing but it sure seems that way, to me it just says "look how much time we wasted!"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Finally redeemed my Shadowrun: Dragonfall DLC key and got the Director's Cut included. That was pretty great of them.

I abandoned my initial playthrough of the base game. Is it worth importing the first campaign into the Director's Cut or should I just play Dragonfall?

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Just play Dragonfall.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The base game is still fun, but not as fun as Dragonfall.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LIMBO KING posted:

Just play Dragonfall.
Not an emptyquote, no sir.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kennel posted:

"Story
In 2007, the U.S. government successfully sends a probe to an alien world in a parallel universe..."

:allears:

That's not the best part. The best part is "Former U.S. Navy SEAL Cutter Slade."

http://youtu.be/RFHlJ2voJHY

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

odiv posted:

Finally redeemed my Shadowrun: Dragonfall DLC key and got the Director's Cut included. That was pretty great of them.

Full game + full length expansion campaign + reboot into a whole new game, honestly its hard to find anybody who has done better by their KS backers

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LIMBO KING posted:

Just play Dragonfall.

It's also 50% off on Steam right now just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Didn't Ron Gilbert disappear making kids games for like 15 years? Seems the only traditional type games since then is Deathspank and The Cave.

Yes, Humongous Entertainment (which he sold for $$) and Hulabee (which never went anywhere I think.)