Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For localization costs? I feel like this is a circular question loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As always, game development is probably much more expensive than you're assuming it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mycot posted:

For localization costs? I feel like this is a circular question loop.

No I understand that. It's that it already seemed absurd for actually developing those games so it'd be odd for me to assume it's for localization.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As always, game development is probably much more expensive than you're assuming it is.

The woman that did Cortana's voice was paid like 500 bucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Well then nevermind, you certainly sound like an expert.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm sure the no names voicing a niche VN command much higher pay than someone voicing the second most important character in one of the biggest game franchises.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm sure the no names voicing a niche VN command much higher pay than someone voicing the second most important character in one of the biggest game franchises.

They're Japanese VA's. They're bigger than any western VA, no question.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

The $500 figure is completely meaningless and can't be used in any real discussion on voice actor wages. Or do you actually believe that's what all professional voice actors get paid for major jobs?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The $500 figure is completely meaningless and can't be used in any real discussion on voice actor wages. Or do you actually believe that's what all professional voice actors get paid for major jobs?

Why the gently caress are you so desperate to defend some lovely games? It's loving weird man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

That is not actually what most VAs are paid.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Why the gently caress are you so desperate to defend some lovely games? It's loving weird man.

It isn't 'desperate to defend some lovely games' to point out that thinking video game voice acting is $500 for a complete job is kind of dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're a member of the union it's six hundred for a four hour session.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't 'desperate to defend some lovely games' to point out that thinking video game voice acting is $500 for a complete job is kind of dumb.

It started before that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I think it's safe to say the goonrage and furious handwringing over anime and anime games is at least as funny as the anime game itself.

Add to that blustering by people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about regarding the costs of translation and dubbing and it's even funnier still

seriouspost even text translation is incredibly expensive and difficult, and some 60 hour anime waifu simulator has a whole lot of text to be done

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 21, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I would say that the average person who follows Kickstarters closely has no idea how much money it actually takes to make or support a game because pretty much every Kickstarter also has no idea how much it takes to make or support a game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It started before that.

You have a strange perception of conversations since it started with localization costs. You know, what the conversation is about.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Megazver posted:

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine is a point-and-clicker about a crazy scientist who starts to screw with the past after his invention of the time machine doesn't get the recognition he felt it deserved and you, his well-meaning, if not-too-bright assistant who has to repair the timeline before IT'S TOO LATE.

Man this game is, like, brutally lacking in charisma.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cheekio posted:

Man this game is, like, brutally lacking in charisma.

None of the characters ever make eye contact with each other, its uncanny.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The concept art screams Psychonauts but the in-game animation has a severe case of CAD face. :U

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

It would explain why Nolan north is in everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Americana Dawn won't make it, which seems like a shame (on the assumption the game won't implode on itself anyway).

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Americana Dawn won't make it, which seems like a shame (on the assumption the game won't implode on itself anyway).

The sprite work looks very nice. :smith: 47 hours to go as of my post with 25,393/70,000

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm surprised at this, thought more people would be a sucker for decent 16-bit JRPG sprites.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Just for the record, the last page or so on this topic is pure stupidity.

Most voice talent will have what's called a "rate card" -- you charge varying rates depending on your voice's intended use. Is this going to be public-facing, or is it an internal thing? (Morale event things, corporate training, etc.) If it's public-facing, is it local or national or international? The intended use also affects the denominator for the rate -- namely, whether you're paid by the word or by the minute.

I'm curious what the source is for that $500 number. Jen Taylor was already established as the voice of Princess Peach before Halo, so I imagine her agent is quite aggressive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It should be noted that Cortana for Halo 1 was completed in a single 4-hour recording session.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Uncle Jam posted:

None of the characters ever make eye contact with each other, its uncanny.

Bad case of " we designed the characters without taking background art into consideration". The unwritten law of point and click states you always put you npcs at your main character's eye level, unless you have fancy headtracking (which 99% of 2d point aand clicks don't). On the other hand, with those bulging eyes and overall quirkiness it might even be a design decision.

I played the demo and found the ring altering solution pretty funny and ingenious. Then again, I thought the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2 was clever so I might be in the minority on this one.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

The first minute or so shows the very ugliest parts of the art, which has a boatload of inconsistencies. If they'd have just cut that part out, the game would come off a lot better.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cicero posted:

I'm surprised at this, thought more people would be a sucker for decent 16-bit JRPG sprites.

Yeah, I thought it was a sure thing too. I guess the feeling of, "American history?! BORING!!!" won out on this one.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

American history is kinda boring, which is why Jamestown put it into space.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's super boring.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cicero posted:

Not when they're attached to a JRPG. gently caress that poo poo.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Wendell posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a sure thing too. I guess the feeling of, "American history?! BORING!!!" won out on this one.

I think it was more "Already had a Kickstarter more than 2 years ago and still won't come out for 2.5-3 years."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More from the world of the skeevy: GSC Gameworld (STALKER series) recently reformed, and their spokesman did an interview with GamesIndustry.biz about a host of things. One of the things they touched on was West Games, a team that claimed to be ex-STALKER devs that have tried two shady-looking crowdfunded games: Areal and more recently, STALKER Apocalypse...

Valentine Yeltyshev posted:

I don't really know enough about them, but the story is quite funny. These guys were basically promoting themselves as being the STALKER team, that they were working on STALKER, but that's not true. When we were working on STALKER 2, we were also planning on releasing a browser game based on STALKER so we could keep the audience engaged until released.

That project was never finished. There were mistakes. But the guys at West Games, that was the STALKER project they were working on - a flash game. So when they promoted themselves as having worked on STALKER, I was quite surprised. We would definitely win the legal action against them, but we won't start it. They used a lot of the ideas from STALKER... I don't know what they were thinking, starting that. I haven't heard from them for quite a while.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's loving hilarious.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Voice acting seems like a really difficult to break into and underappreciated business

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Megazver posted:

Not when they're attached to a JRPG. gently caress that poo poo.

okay we're going to have a problem here

Also yeah I can't really bring myself to give a poo poo about 13 colonies history. Make an RPG about the 30 Years' War or something, not that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Kins posted:

More from the world of the skeevy: GSC Gameworld (STALKER series) recently reformed, and their spokesman did an interview with GamesIndustry.biz about a host of things. One of the things they touched on was West Games, a team that claimed to be ex-STALKER devs that have tried two shady-looking crowdfunded games: Areal and more recently, STALKER Apocalypse...

That is loving hilarious.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Harebrained Schemes just sent out a mailing about their upcoming Shadowrun kickstarter in January, and the image makes it pretty obvious that it is happening in Asia. Likely Hong Kong though I suppose Tokyo is a possibility.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kenshin posted:

Harebrained Schemes just sent out a mailing about their upcoming Shadowrun kickstarter in January, and the image makes it pretty obvious that it is happening in Asia. Likely Hong Kong though I suppose Tokyo is a possibility.

If I remember correctly, there was a 1% difference in the original Kickstarter's "Where should the DLC be set?" vote between Berlin and Hong Kong, so they know there's demand for a game set there.

Here's the image, for those interested:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kenshin posted:

I'm always wary of a company coming back to Kickstarter for only their second (or technically third I guess?) release. The Shadowrun games were great, Dragonfall obviously moreso, but it just feels a little bit strange to see a company come back that quickly. I don't know, still something I'm personally mulling over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cloud Potato posted:

If I remember correctly, there was a 1% difference in the original Kickstarter's "Where should the DLC be set?" vote between Berlin and Hong Kong, so they know there's demand for a game set there.

Here's the image, for those interested:

This is kinda cool but when you're already living in the sci-fi future, where everything's all cyberpunk, then there's not really any difference. Blade Runner set that up and everybody copied it. And it makes sense anyways, China is growing huge and Chinese culture is likely to spread more and more into the future (see Firefly).

How is cyber Hong Kong any different than where they are now? (Seriously I thought the existing Shadowrun was in Hong Kong already, but I haven't played it that much after launch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Well, Shadowrun is half cyber and half fantasy. The vanilla Shadowrun Returns campaign was set in the Seattle Metroplex. Dragonfall was set in the anarchist free state of Berlin. This is the way they described Shadowrun's version of Hong Kong in the backer survey:

quote:

Hong Kong finds itself now as an independent city/state in 2050. Both ancient and modern Hong Kong seems to be at peace on the same island. It’s corporate sponsored City Center rivals any in the world for splendor and corporate intrigue. All the megcorps are there as well as all smaller ones that love to think they can play with the big boys (and maybe even steal a secret or two). Yet, just outside the city center you will find ancient temples and shrines. Each one situated on the many dragon lines that cross the island. Dragon lines are mysterious and powerful paths of magic that the monks claim hold the secrets of the great dragons themselves. Protecting the monks and running the underworld are the mysterious syndicate called the Triads – gangs that control their island, protect their secret masters and really really hate the Yakuza.