Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

Kickstarter disaster Super Action Squad is back (aka Super Retro Squad, aka Super Mario Bros. Crossover w/different pixels), except now it's Operation Pyxel, and the SAS leader is making it by himself. It looks like poo poo, but he's going to save it with :pcgaming: DYNAMIC LIGHTING :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ycy2V91ZQ

And here I feel like a fool for thinking the answer was "money" or "level design".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Can't wait for the further adventures of Gokuman!

So I know he said he wasn't an artist but holy crap that placeholder art. I kinda feel sorry for his former team but at least they're free from this now.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

InShaneee posted:

And here I feel like a fool for thinking the answer was "money" or "level design".

Didn't they blow like $150k on the game the first time around? Like, they literally just had to re-do the art for his existing game and it would fulfill the requirements of the kickstarter except instead he bought a house and moved his girlfriend and some friends in and paid them as "team members"

I'm glad he's found a way to make hacky pixel art look even loving worse and amateurish than normal, though.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lighting doesn't exactly seem like the most important aspect of a goddamn 8-bit throwback game to show off, no. Maybe he's being thorough?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

Intellivision's trying to remake some of their games, and it's not looking too hot. To think, they once managed to swing a deal with Activision to publish a collection of their Intellivision games (although it was in 2001, which was probably before Actiuvision became all cunty).
Their remake of Astrosmash doesn't look too bad at being new and retro at the same time, although it's still about at the level of what you would expect for a decent free Flash game. Shark! Shark! and Night Stalker Gen2 look amazingly ugly though. Why are they remaking each individual game in a different style?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a chance to mess around with Serpent in the Staglands. It's pretty decent and it's really oldschool, for good and bad. Combat is pretty challenging and spells take forever to cast which means in most engagements you only get one or two spell cycles through. Line of sight exists so your ranged guys will walk into the melee if your guys are in the way, it doesn't re-check LOS though so if your ranged guys are already targeted and firing on a guy you can move melee characters inbetween them as you like. No mob collision annoys me since mobs will often wade right through my front line to get to the back and it's hard to disengage a wounded melee character which sucks because perma death.

That said a lot of the roleplaying stuff is really cool and it's very open to divergent paths. I like that the journal entries are manual so you have to write them yourself and the incantation system makes for some interesting spellcasting where you write your own spells. A linguistics score of 2 is enough to cast a few of the basic spells and they follow a structure of prefixes and action words. Maen Lumen is the lightspell for example, Maen is the prefix for a world changing spell and Lumen is light. You can also target some pretty powerful spells if you know a characters true name, I suspect this will be relevant for certain powerful entities later in the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shine posted:

Kickstarter disaster Super Action Squad is back (aka Super Retro Squad, aka Super Mario Bros. Crossover w/different pixels), except now it's Operation Pyxel, and the SAS leader is making it by himself. It looks like poo poo, but he's going to save it with :pcgaming: DYNAMIC LIGHTING :pcgaming:

Ahahaha, the art is so loving awful. No, sorry guy, but the lighting effects do not make your poo poo game look any better.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Didn't they blow like $150k on the game the first time around? Like, they literally just had to re-do the art for his existing game and it would fulfill the requirements of the kickstarter except instead he bought a house and moved his girlfriend and some friends in and paid them as "team members"

I'm glad he's found a way to make hacky pixel art look even loving worse and amateurish than normal, though.

I don't know how they managed to gently caress a game up that was literally just copy-pasting other NES games with slightly redrawn sprites. This one looks even more litigious!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sigma-X posted:

They bought a house, posted updates saying "things are happening!", and finally two years later produced this before the project melted down because the guy was incapable of keeping his project on track or paying his team.

BiggerJ posted:

Intellivision's trying to remake some of their games, and it's not looking too hot. To think, they once managed to swing a deal with Activision to publish a collection of their Intellivision games (although it was in 2001, which was probably before Actiuvision became all cunty).

As much as I love the Intellivision, these aren't games that need to be remade. They released emulated collections some years back and that's all I need. They're very simple action games whose prime appeal is nostalgia (that heartbeat sound in Night Stalker :allears:). Nowadays there are tons of games like Shark! Shark! where you eat smaller fish to get bigger, so an updated version will just feel like yet another one. If I'm gonna play that game, then I'll want to play it on an emulator collection so it's scratching a nostalgia itch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shine posted:

They bought a house, posted updates saying "things are happening!", and finally two years later produced this before the project melted down because the guy was incapable of keeping his project on track or paying his team.

Ahaha so he IS using Unity. I was looking at that Pyxel video and thinking it'd be amazing if he was using Unity and his shocking difference maker and unique feature, DYNAMIC LIGHTING, was literally the stock Unity lighting model.

And it looks like it is.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shine posted:

Don't forget that you can chip in to the guy's Patreon to help him make this!!!

It's honestly amazing to me that he somehow manages to keep making this project more and more embarrassing. I honestly didn't think he could top his passive-aggressive whinefest of a writeup where he essentially called all of his team members lazy pieces of poo poo, but releasing footage of that ugly pile of crap complete with an even shittier name and hoping people give him a monthly fee for it takes the cake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Youtube comments are surprisingly civil!

quote:

youre a visionary man, Im inspired by your dedication. A company or brand should be sponsoring you, their investments would be returned tenfold. There has to be a network that would value your skill set.

Good luck continuing development, Im excited to see what this turns into.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Rough is like a 2015 DIY Doom. It's very upfront about its influence(s). Take that as a serious understatement.

This is the only picture on the KS page. Check the pitch video.

And I love the unintentional humor of its tagline:

"ROUGH is a nervous horror FPS."

I'd be too if my game looked THAT much like Doom

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 29, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BiggerJ posted:

As a massive Intellivision fan (still have my uncle's and all his games) this doesn't look good at all. If you're going to remake something and turn it "modern" you have to really go for it, not just make the same game with some lame new graphics.

gently caress this just further makes me want to create a new White Water! myself.

Shine posted:

This looks like hot loving garbage and the dude sounds like an utterly broken person.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shine posted:

Still proud that I was one of the backers he quoted in his meltdown.

Edit: the new video is actually closer to what I thought I was getting for SRS so :shrug:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Peas and Rice posted:

Still proud that I was one of the backers he quoted in his meltdown.

Quoted in thanks or quoted in cursing?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Serpent in the Staglands is pretty cool so far; good questing, good writing, deadly combat. It does need a good amount of bugfixing though. I wonder why they didn't go with Early Access for a few weeks at least.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

BiggerJ posted:

Oh my god, I played so much Night Stalker when I was young. The fun part was starting at 80,000 points, you would face an invisible robot who would block your bullets, takes three hits to die, and destroy your cabin. And every six shots, your gun is empty and you have to get a new one.

Will put in $15 just for nostalgia.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dijon du jour posted:

What is that godawful filter he has over everything. :barf:

What in the gently caress is the appeal of this? And why is there so much parallax on a wall that should be like, 10' away at most?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr Underhill posted:

Rough is like a 2015 DIY Doom. It's very upfront about its influence(s). Take that as a serious understatement.

quote:

On the story side you play Barret, a badass soldier who killed a senator. Since the death penalty is illegal on earth, you are sent to a planet full of deamons in order to clean it.

What... like with a mop?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerJ posted:

Honestly like, maybe 33-35 years is just too long to go from original to first remake.

Mr Underhill posted:

That dude's game has way too much of "same floor height for a while with some objects bumping out" and "repetitive right angle only hallways and rooms".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If I were to expend the effort to make my own first person shooter is sure as hell be a little more creative with my weapons than pistol, shotgun, axe, :geno:

I mean I get they're doing it that way because that's what Doom had but at least make them look unique instead of something that fell out of a free assets pack.

e: boring weapons in shooter make me mad

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Quoted in thanks or quoted in cursing?

Cursing. He did not care for me saying that my $20 would be worth the entertainment value of watching a train wreck rather than receiving a game.

Then a few months later he tried to add me on LinkedIn with a profile picture that could double as a serial killer headshot.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Peas and Rice posted:

Cursing. He did not care for me saying that my $20 would be worth the entertainment value of watching a train wreck rather than receiving a game.

Then a few months later he tried to add me on LinkedIn with a profile picture that could double as a serial killer headshot.

Yes but why did you give him $20?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DoctorTristan posted:

Yes but why did you give him $20?

At the time it didn't seem like a bad idea. I mean, they had a working (flash) game already done proving the concept could work, a plan, and it was the during the early phase of kick starter games. Its just everything else after that went to poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yodzilla posted:

If I were to expend the effort to make my own first person shooter is sure as hell be a little more creative with my weapons than pistol, shotgun, axe, :geno:

I mean I get they're doing it that way because that's what Doom had but at least make them look unique instead of something that fell out of a free assets pack.

DOOM also had chaingun, a rocket launcher, future energy weapons too though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BexGu posted:

At the time it didn't seem like a bad idea. I mean, they had a working (flash) game already done proving the concept could work, a plan, and it was the during the early phase of kick starter games. Its just everything else after that went to poo poo.

This, and it was still kickstarter early days before I knew better.

I'm not saying it was a good idea. I'm rationalizing how I can turn it into entertainment. And now that he's back, viola!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Guy wants $81,796 to make a doom wad. I wonder how exactly he came up with that specific of a figure.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think I'll never get the Legend of Iya. The developer is giving out yet another unrelated game. I'm not even going to mention the title because that's what he wants to have happen.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Guy wants $81,796 to make a doom wad. I wonder how exactly he came up with that specific of a figure.

Currency conversion.

He's asking for 75,000 Euro.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

thedaian posted:

Currency conversion.

He's asking for 75,000 Euro.

:thejoke:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It wasn't. :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yodzilla posted:

I wouldn't worry about it - judging by the video they're just differently skinned ways of setting off the explosive barrels that actually deal damage.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Raspberry Pi is also terrible at actually teaching programming for the same reason as this though: it's an utterly weird architecture with little relevance to more common programming situations.

Did you genuinely just claim that ARM is an "utterly weird architecture with little relevance"?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you genuinely just claim that ARM is an "utterly weird architecture with little relevance"?

The original Pi uses an extremely out of date version of its that's also very slow, and a GPU type that's rarely used these days. It also doesn't support Android (or iOS or Windows Phone), and plain Linux on ARM is a very uncommon thing. The Pi 2 upgraded it to a more modern ARM cpu but still uses the same wonky GPU.

Something like the Pi that shipped with a Pentium II and a Voodoo II GPU clone and which for some reason couldn't run Windows would be similarly of little relevance in the modern world.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

plain Linux on ARM is a very uncommon thing
No it isn't - there are billions of devices out there using it. Congrats in showing off your PC-oriented worldview though I guess!
As for the graphics core - Samsung and Amazon use the same one heavily, so wrong there too.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
You're arguing with :fishmech: This will end in pedantry and tears.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

Congrats in showing off your PC-oriented worldview though I guess!

Did you really just type those words, in that order, and is that a thing you would have ever imagined yourself saying when you were ten years old

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ookiimarukochan posted:

No it isn't - there are billions of devices out there using it. Congrats in showing off your PC-oriented worldview though I guess!
As for the graphics core - Samsung and Amazon use the same one heavily, so wrong there too.

The world IS PC oriented. And in places where it isn't it's running other things the Pi can't (Android, iOS, or things like true embedded systems that aren't related to hacked up Debian distributions in the least). If you think learning to use the Pi is good for learning to program in general, well, you probably don't know dick about actual software. There's a reason actual education dudes prefer you just teach kids how to program with the computers a school already has.

The graphics core is nearly 9 years out of date, just like the CPU in the original Pi is now. This is why I brought up a hypothetical clone using a Pentium II and a Voodoo graphics card - both of them are things that were once relevant, and in the narrowest sense things based on them are still used, but if you program for it you're learning to deal with something almost entirely irrelevant to how the modern world works. They're also similarly distant, even though the Voodoo and P2 are much older, similarly old PC/Mac world things are very close to modern stuff while ARM and mobile graphics have advanced a ton from where they were in ~2005-2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In non-trainwreck news, someone is apparently making a Power-Stone-esque game for PC/Xbone/WiiU with online multiplayer, and why the hell did I not hear about it until today: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1518707381/combat-core-high-powered-4-player-arena-fighter :stare:

I'm slightly apprehensive about the online MP turning out to be something they later ditch, but I played a ton of Power Stone as a kid so I've backed it anyway. I found out about it through a backer update for Bloodstained, so hopefully it'll get the boost in funds it needs, because right now it's not looking like they're going to make their target.