Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Who's The Legendary Commander Cain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Underhill posted:

So that screenshot's for real? Glad I never gave them any money, and now I never will.

It's a player posting bullshit. If a that's is your reason to not give money to Star Citizen, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. There's plenty really good reasons, but I don't see how a random forum post would be one.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, I was really hopeful for Star Citizen at the beginning but the feature bloat just makes it look like a goddamn mess. I just want a modern take on Freelancer/Wingcommander with the eventual option to walk around with my player character without all the weird "features" that Chris Roberts seems hellbent on adding :(

Yeah, no poo poo. I pledged for freelancer2/wingcommander17 in 2012, now it's q3 2015 and there's still nothing playable they have to show. At least there was money to be made.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Truga posted:

It's a player posting bullshit. If a that's is your reason to not give money to Star Citizen, then I honestly don't know what to tell you. There's plenty really good reasons, but I don't see how a random forum post would be one.

The post made it seem like it was from the creator, come on. I don't know enough about the game to be that info-savvy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be honest, you're right. This is the Kickstarter thread, and we've seen even more hilarious posts from actual game developers here. I'm sorry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chairchucker posted:

Who's The Legendary Commander Cain?

Atlus Shrugged

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen is, essentially, Zybourne Clock with a budget.

Imagine four modules on the edge of development. Say a direct copy of the module nearest to being developed is sent to the back of the line of modules and takes the place of the first module. The formerly first module becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth gets delayed indefinitely. Chris Roberts works the same way.

quakster fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 1, 2015

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Mr Underhill posted:

The post made it seem like it was from the creator, come on. I don't know enough about the game to be that info-savvy.
Eh, really? It was obviously posted by an actually-mentally-ill person. Sure, some game developers are assholes, but not even the shittiest devs of the 90s would post something that inane.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aardark posted:

Eh, really? It was obviously posted by an actually-mentally-ill person. Sure, some game developers are assholes, but not even the shittiest devs of the 90s would post something that inane.

Hmmmm, Battlecruiser 3000AD was developed in the 90s, wasn't it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Chairchucker posted:

Hmmmm, Battlecruiser 3000AD was developed in the 90s, wasn't it?

Speaking of which.

A well known developer comments on Star Citizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chest-beating and self-promotion aside, he makes a good point or two.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Aardark posted:

Yeah, for some reason I took that as something the dev wrote. I guess it was a combination of the post being somewhat equivocal and the assumption that when you've made 85 mil from crowdfunding you're taking "gently caress you money" literally. Glad to see that's not the case.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

quote:

So after four years, that game is still very much in development and we’re threatening to release it by year’s end.

At least he's aware of his reputation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm glad that it's the year 2015 and Derek Smart is still this looming specter posting in the comments sections of various gaming sites because that's the most exposure he could ever hope for.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
On the whole, Derek Smart really is a ton more competent and able to deliver a working game than like a ton of kickstarter game devs. Kinda sad for them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

On the whole, Derek Smart really is a ton more competent and able to deliver a working game than like a ton of kickstarter game devs. Kinda sad for them.
I want to disagree with this but I can't and it makes me sad

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the hero indies deserve

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Derek Smart owns.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is there a thread for the Bard's Tale IV? Because I want to know if it's just a graphical upgrade to the first three games, or if there's something more to it. Is it just going to be somewhat like a turn-based Legend of Grimrock?

Also, in other news, Regalia - Of Men and Monarchs is in their final 41 hours and is on track to comfortably meet all their stretch goals.

We Happy Few has just met its sandbox mode stretch goal.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 2, 2015

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is there a thread for the Bard's Tale IV? Because I want to know if it's just a graphical upgrade to the first three games, or if there's something more to it. Is it just going to be somewhat like a turn-based Legend of Grimrock?

Also, in other news, Regalia - Of Men and Monarchs is in their final 41 hours and is on track to comfortably meet all their stretch goals.
It looks pretty good, but you know, I kind of wish that they'd switch around the last two stretch goals since I'm far more interested in more game content than voice acting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Sylphosaurus posted:

It looks pretty good, but you know, I kind of wish that they'd switch around the last two stretch goals since I'm far more interested in more game content than voice acting.

Same, given the sample of voice acting they put out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Sylphosaurus posted:

Well, that final stretch goal is only 5,326 away from being achieved so it'll probably be met anyway. It seems to me more like a catchall goal along the lines of "any further funds will go towards improving the game".

senrath posted:

Same, given the sample of voice acting they put out.

That wasn't meant to be at "final quality" levels, it was just a sample quickly put together.

Pixelated Milk posted:

quote:

Would be great to see all that voice acting implemented. should solidify the experience overall. the example video is kool, a lil stiff and the timing needs tweaking, but for a slapped together example, it works. :) I always loved all the cutscenes in disgaea so having this fleshed out will be amazing.

Yeah, it's just a simple proof of concept. We'll be workingon the voices and the scenes themselves as we go into a full production mode. We are using some really neat tools, which allow us to tweak our cutscenes very quickly and easily.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That wasn't meant to be at "final quality" levels, it was just a sample quickly put together.

And? I don't think I claimed it was. I just felt that it wasn't very good and I'm not the only one who thought that in this thread, and if the proof of concept makes me think 'eh, I'll pass' then I don't exactly have high hopes for the final thing. It also doesn't help that I'm not usually a huge fan of voice acting in games anyway.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Reverence is ambitious, with mechanics a' la Die By The Sword, but man oh man are those models, animations and draw distance crappy. This guy needs a helping hand on everything 3d, he's got a good concept. And you can control the game with an actual banana. Yes, the fruit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_IQyNUIUA8

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't think that guy has ever seen an actual person.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Keiji Inafune ran out of ideas in 1998 (if we're being generous), but still needs to make the last payments on his house, so gently caress it, Comcept's unveiling this on July 4th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbGmrySQLIg

Worth noting: "Red Ash" is a slight punctuation shuffle away from "Re-Dash". The Japanese title for Megaman Legends was Rockman Dash. Did I mention that subtlety is dead?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

He just has to stick it to Capcom.
It's also an Anime produced by Studio 4°C. I hope it goes better than Kaioh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'm going to kickstart a spiritual successor to Karnov.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
With every update I'm falling more and more in love with Pathologic. drat.

This is becoming the game I'm most excited for.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Include a stretch goal for a spiritual successor to Dance Dance Karnov and I'm in

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I'm going to Pozible a spiritual successor to Dance Dance Karnov. Checkmate.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Lurking Haro posted:

He just has to stick it to Capcom.
It's also an Anime produced by Studio 4°C. I hope it goes better than Kaioh.
Studio 4°C are one of the best studios out there. Even if anime is not your stuff, if you haven't seen their movie Mind Game... you don't know what you're missing. I wonder if they're going to own this in their unique way and if Yuasa is involved.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Gravitas posted:

With every update I'm falling more and more in love with Pathologic. drat.

This is becoming the game I'm most excited for.

You should have fallen in love with it years ago :colbert:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp posted:

You should have fallen in love with it years ago :colbert:

I tried, it was crashing too much.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

former kickstarter game legends of eisenwald just came out of early access, has anyone played it yet?

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm glad that it's the year 2015 and Derek Smart is still this looming specter posting in the comments sections of various gaming sites because that's the most exposure he could ever hope for.

As someone who's old enough to remember usenet and his presence there, it feels both Right and Appropriate for him to be still commenting like this in TYOOL 2015.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Gravitas posted:

I tried, it was crashing too much.

That's never stopped my relationships

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pomp posted:

That's never stopped my relationships

- ;-* Hi, honey. Can you buy some milk on the way home?

- :unsmith: Yes, of course. I love you! I cannot wait to get home and give you a big loving hug.

- ;-* Great. Also ERROR GET THE gently caress OUT THE HOUSE YOU MOTHERFUCKER I HATE YOU rear end in a top hat gently caress YOU DIE IN A DITCH please get me some more tea from the corner store.

- :smith: Yes, dearest.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Someone from the Regalia team was posting here, right? Good job guy!

I don't understand the console thing, though. The $25 tier is for "additional console key," aka PC + Console. Does the $15 tier come with a console key by itself? Just checking.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

The $15 is PC only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lab Zero (Skullgirls) just announced their next game - "Indivisible":

quote:

Indivisible is a new action/RPG IP, starring Ajna (AHZH-na), a girl who sets out on a globe-spanning journey to discover the truth behind her mysterious powers. On her quest she’ll be joined by a variety of unique heroes and gain new abilities to traverse the environments and defeat the enemies they’ll encounter along the way.

Indivisible is inspired by classics like Valkyrie Profile and Super Metroid, but with the unique characters and gameplay depth Lab Zero is known for. In addition to a fresh spin on action/RPG gameplay, Indivisible features a deep storyline inspired by southeast Asian and other world mythologies, Lab Zero’s trademark feature-quality 2D hand-drawn animation, and a lush soundtrack from legendary Secret of Mana composer Hiroki Kikuta.

The crowdfunding campaign (with playable prototype) won't start for several weeks, no date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLtNAKTjhw