Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mr Underhill posted:

Chris Crawford reflects on a Kicstarter gone wrong

Can't comment on it since I just started reading it. Feel bad for the dude, tho.

Why are you posting a three-year old article about an even older kickstarter, Mr Weird-Tim-Schafer-fanboy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

DoctorTristan posted:

Why are you posting a three-year old article about an even older kickstarter, Mr Weird-Tim-Schafer-fanboy?

Because it's a Kickstarter gaming thread, plus it seemed relevant given the fact that there are 32 hours to go on his other Kickstarter, Siboot, Dr. Labelson. And here's a 5 day old interview, too, hope it's fresh enough for you.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

khwarezm posted:

Surprised by that, the PC sections of gamestop or HMV here in Ireland have very slim pickings indeed.
It's probably because 1. local niches will favor physical over digital distribution and 2. bandwidth caps and crappy connections are still common in a lot of places.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Count Uvula posted:

The UK, Germany, Russia (if you count them as European), and Turkey all buy a lot of videogames. Most other places are negligible.

You forgot France,one of the biggest European markets.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

How did Legends of Eisenwald turn out?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

The Kins posted:

Probably by playing it in the Year Of Our Lord 2015.

I think most haters haven't played it for more than a couple hours or can't look past the American voice acting. It's a great series by the guy who created some of the most influential arcade games ever. Its Kickstarter success speaks for itself. The campaign certainly hasn't been run well.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 6, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shenmue is an interesting game but I don't think it's honestly particularly meaningful in this day and age. The 'daily life' elements are an interesting curiosity but otherwise it isn't particularly impressive in scale or concept. A lot of the little things it did made their way into games like Yakuza (also by Sega even!) or whatnot. I guess I'm not really sure what Shenmue can offer that is distinctive in this day and age, especially on a Kickstarter budget.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Continuation of an atmosphere and story thousands of people enjoyed, I guess. Yu Suzuki's credentials have also bought him a fair amount of good will, even if you're unconvinced Virtua Fighter, Outrun and Space Harrier made a meaningful contribution to video game history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turnip kid posted:

Continuation of an atmosphere and story thousands of people enjoyed, I guess. Yu Suzuki's credentials have also bought him a fair amount of good will, even if you're unconvinced Virtua Fighter, Outrun and Space Harrier made a meaningful contribution to video game history.

Those games are all certainly meaningful. Shenmue will have a legacy as long as the name Quick Time Event exists.

That doesn't mean much for it now though. Shenmue is interesting in that it was an early predecessor to the kind of games that are popular now. However stuff like Sleeping Dogs or Yakuza aim to do the same thing in very much the same way. What does Shenmue do unique in this regards? It can't be the plot because I've played through both Shenmue games and their plot is literally "evil kung fu man killed my master and stole his magic item." It's the plot of Ninja Gaiden except with more forklifts and arcade games.

"This franchise has an important legacy" is fine and unarguable but it doesn't really explain why a third game is something I should be excited about. How will it compare to Deadly Premonition or Way of the Samurai, if you want to go for smaller-budget games instead? What unique features or concepts will it have? What does it have going for it besides the name Shenmue?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 6, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

turnip kid posted:

Its Kickstarter success speaks for itself.

This is the worst metric for defending anything.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
It was run terribly and still managed to pretty much break all records. People have been waiting for the game for almost two decades. It's a big deal.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

turnip kid posted:

It was run terribly and still managed to pretty much break all records. People have been waiting for the game for almost two decades. It's a big deal.
It provides quite the contrast with the way Bloodstained's campaign was run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turnip kid posted:

It really isn't. While it still has time to go it's trending behind Mighty No 9, Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee in number of backers. It has high-interest doners but in terms of actual number of people interested, despite being shown on the stage at E3 by Sony, it has fewer people willing to put money in its favor than Mega Man or Castlevania fans.

You're allowing your fanboyism to make this a bigger thing than it is. I'm certain there are people who have been waiting for this game for nearly two decades. There are people who have been waiting for an Alex Kidd revival for two decades too. That doesn't make it significant.

Shenmue 3 is a big deal to Shenmue fans who never expected to get a sequel. However beyond that it is a question of 'what does Shenmue offer to people who are not already Shenmue fans?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 6, 2015

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Surprised by that, the PC sections of gamestop or HMV here in Ireland have very slim pickings indeed.

It's a fuckload cheaper to buy physical, throw away the disc, and use the Steam code than buy directly from Steam - see something like Fallout 4 where Game.co.uk are selling the physical version for £12 less than digital (though this appears to be caused by a loving dumb Valve policy that suggests £49.99 as an ideal pricepoint for $59.99 games)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

AnonSpore posted:

In any fighting game if you're at the level and mindset where you seriously think "memorizing long combos" is the barrier separating yourself and high level play, actually good players would easily clown on you just as hard with a single button and no combos

This is demonstrated by Divekick.

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, what's the advantage of Indiegogo exactly?

Smaller cut (7% vs 10% on Kickstarter, which can really add up on a big campaign), money is granted immediately on the conclusion of the campaign (vs Kickstarter taking six weeks to check and double check that all the money is present. Again, for a big project this is important) and (in the specific case of Indivisible) marketing support.

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 6, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

turnip kid posted:

I meant that nerds have bad taste and all of the best video game kickstarters made less than a million.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

turnip kid posted:

managed to pretty much break all records

so did Star Citizen

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Shenmue 3 is a big deal to Shenmue fans who never expected to get a sequel. However beyond that it is a question of 'what does Shenmue offer to people who are not already Shenmue fans?"

nothing you hosed up retard, and it doesn't need to

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Hakkesshu posted:

How did Legends of Eisenwald turn out?

someone please answer this

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shenmue 3 is literally just Yu Suzuki going "you wanted Shenmue 3, I want to make it, give me money" and then a bunch of people did. It's not trying to convince anyone who doesn't care about that series, and they don't need to justify it. It's noteworthy because it's a crazy thing that even die-hard fans never expected to happen and because it's making a lot of money, that's it really, it's entirely irrelevant how meaningful Shenmue is in a modern context.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

"This franchise has an important legacy" is fine and unarguable but it doesn't really explain why a third game is something I should be excited about. How will it compare to Deadly Premonition or Way of the Samurai, if you want to go for smaller-budget games instead? What unique features or concepts will it have? What does it have going for it besides the name Shenmue?

lmao who loving cares

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THE PENETRATOR posted:

nothing you hosed up retard, and it doesn't need to

Yeah the entire point of Kickstarter stuff in general is you're only after the money from people who care about whatever concept and are willing to back up their "oh yeah I would totally pay for that".

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah the entire point of Kickstarter stuff in general is you're only after the money from people who care about whatever concept and are willing to back up their "oh yeah I would totally pay for that".

Thank you. That should go in the op, if anyone even reads it.

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

Delusibeta posted:

Smaller cut (7% vs 10% on Kickstarter, which can really add up on a big campaign), money is granted immediately on the conclusion of the campaign (vs Kickstarter taking six weeks to check and double check that all the money is present. Again, for a big project this is important) and (in the specific case of Indivisible) marketing support.

That's pretty wild hyperbole. Kickstarter takes 5%, and in my case I lost another 3.8% to processing fees, so just 8.8%. And Kickstarter sent the money after two weeks (plus a few more days for my bank to process it).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

From what I understand, the time it takes for you to get the money after a Kickstarter varies based on how much and from how many people. And the processing fees varies based on your average pledge amount, because there's a per backer charge.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yu Suzuki is a legend but I'm not giving him my money.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yu Suzuki is a legend but I'm not giving him my money.

Ok.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

In other Kickstarter news, Defect released their demo on Steam.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

gqul posted:

That's pretty wild hyperbole. Kickstarter takes 5%, and in my case I lost another 3.8% to processing fees, so just 8.8%. And Kickstarter sent the money after two weeks (plus a few more days for my bank to process it).

I thought Amazon Payments also took 5%, or has that been reduced?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

DoctorTristan posted:

I thought Amazon Payments also took 5%, or has that been reduced?

Kickstarter doesn't use Amazon for payments any more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

But this is completely, demonstrably not the point of Shenmue or Bloodstained, the former being the subject of discussion. The money from kickstarter in both cases is in the minority share of their funding. I think it's going to be hilarious when Sony dump a truckload of money into Shenmue, and then the people that have already paid for the digital version end up being the only ones that want it at full price, and it ends up on Steam for $4.99 in eight months time. Bonus points for if Sony decide to use it as the launch "killer app" for whatever Uplay/Origin/Rockstar Social Club thing they decide to make to try and claw money away from Steam - not that I've heard anything of the sort, but it seems like the thing they would do.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

senrath posted:

In other Kickstarter news, Defect released their demo on Steam.

Haven't played the demo but this looks pretty drat cool.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Memento posted:

But this is completely, demonstrably not the point of Shenmue or Bloodstained, the former being the subject of discussion. The money from kickstarter in both cases is in the minority share of their funding. I think it's going to be hilarious when Sony dump a truckload of money into Shenmue

I don't know if you're being serious or not but Sony isn't giving much, if any, money to the actual development of Shenmue 3, just marketing. I'd actually love to be proven wrong and for Sony to suddenly pony up millions but it hasn't happened so far.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The world needs to know.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Haven't played the demo but this looks pretty drat cool.

I just played the demo for a bit and it's certainly drat cool. There's definitely the core of a solid game there, they just need to add more content and add polish.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mycot posted:

I don't know if you're being serious or not but Sony isn't giving much, if any, money to the actual development of Shenmue 3, just marketing. I'd actually love to be proven wrong and for Sony to suddenly pony up millions but it hasn't happened so far.

Gio Corso, Sony's Director of Third Party Production and Developer Relations posted:

Sony and PlayStation is definitely a partner in this game, and it’s going to be run through third-party production. We’re going to help Ys Net get the game done, we’re going to be partners on it the whole way, and we're really excited to see this thing come out in a couple of years

There's no actual dollar values attached to this quote, but it sounds like a fair bit more than "just marketing" to me.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Memento posted:

There's no actual dollar values attached to this quote, but it sounds like a fair bit more than "just marketing" to me.

Yeah I guess you could assign a dollar figure for the intern in charge of forwarding troubleshooting questions from Ys Net.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Memento posted:

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Update #13 posted:

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sony/Suzuki have put out a bunch of contradictory statements about Sony's level of involvement and they're not going to give a clear answer until long after the campaign ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

That bolded part is saying that Sony is involved in production, marketing, and publishing.