Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One Dreamer is one of them pixely platformer adventure deelios. It features a DEMO and a whole bunch of stick leg action everyone here loves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If you think Shenmue is going to happen on $5m or whatever the gently caress kickstarter brings in you are just straight goddamn naive, they will have funding from a bunch of other sources as well and it will dwarf the amount that kickstarter raises.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

The gameplay is also focused on building attack chains, which means that the levels themselves have to be long hallways full of enemies with no breaks or platforming segments, otherwise you'd lose your combo.
Except a "combo" starts and ends with a dash. The only measured quality is how many dudes you get in a single dash, and you don't even get much of a bonus for doing it either.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Are you agreeing with me? I can't tell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

But this is completely, demonstrably not the point of Shenmue or Bloodstained, the former being the subject of discussion. The money from kickstarter in both cases is in the minority share of their funding. I think it's going to be hilarious when Sony dump a truckload of money into Shenmue, and then the people that have already paid for the digital version end up being the only ones that want it at full price, and it ends up on Steam for $4.99 in eight months time. Bonus points for if Sony decide to use it as the launch "killer app" for whatever Uplay/Origin/Rockstar Social Club thing they decide to make to try and claw money away from Steam - not that I've heard anything of the sort, but it seems like the thing they would do.

What's "hilarious" about "how every other game works, only the full price is paid in advance and the price drop comes sooner after release"? I mean people have been preordering at full price for games for years...

Sigma-X posted:

If you think Shenmue is going to happen on $5m or whatever the gently caress kickstarter brings in you are just straight goddamn naive, they will have funding from a bunch of other sources as well and it will dwarf the amount that kickstarter raises.

On the other hand if they'd not hit the original 2 million goal, Sony was probably just gonna say "doesn't look like it would be popular enough, we're not moving forward with it."

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I always thought that Kickstarter was a funding system that gave the product to backers above a certain threshold as a bonus, not a preorder system. Like, even if a KS got funded, it'd be pretty bad if no non-backers bought the finished product.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Megazver posted:

One Dreamer is one of them pixely platformer adventure deelios. It features a DEMO and a whole bunch of stick leg action everyone here loves.

Looks cool and the prices are reasonable as heck, so I backed it at the 30$ level.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's "hilarious" about "how every other game works, only the full price is paid in advance and the price drop comes sooner after release"? I mean people have been preordering at full price for games for years...

That the majority of people who want the game have already bought it through kickstarter, yet there is more money being put into it by Sony for "assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well" in anticipation of a non-kickstarter audience that may not actually exist.

Also pre-ordering is the dumbest thing you can do as a person who enjoys video games in 2015. Pre-ordering AAA games gets you Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed: Unity and Halo: Master Chief Connection. Games that were unplayably broken on PC, hilariously unplayably broken on PC and had massive chunks of functionality missing on Xbone respectively. There are probably a dozen more high profile ones I can't remember off hand.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

That the majority of people who want the game have already bought it through kickstarter, yet there is more money being put into it by Sony for "assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well" in anticipation of a non-kickstarter audience that may not actually exist.

And what's hilarious about that? Seriously like, it's just not funny at all. It's boring business poo poo.

Motto posted:

I always thought that Kickstarter was a funding system that gave the product to backers above a certain threshold as a bonus, not a preorder system. Like, even if a KS got funded, it'd be pretty bad if no non-backers bought the finished product.

There's no "bonus" involved. You are free to run a kickstarter where nothing is provided as a reward, but you'll probably not make a lot of money, unless you're already famous. Also the funding received is at least supposed to be enough to cover all that was spent to make the thing, so while it would kinda suck if no one else bought it once it was an actual thing you could have someone review, tell you what was good/bad about it and so on, it shouldn't be a loss for the company.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Motto posted:

That was the original premise and is still how it works in some sections (art, theater, actual business proposals). The gaming sections tend to treat it as a preorder market.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Benly posted:

That was the original premise and is still how it works in some sections (art, theater, actual business proposals). The gaming sections tend to treat it as a preorder market.

Ya it's a shame honestly

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

And what's hilarious about that? Seriously like, it's just not funny at all. It's boring business poo poo.

It's almost like humour is relative. I find amusement in the possibility that Sony will pour millions of dollars into a game that might be incredibly niche and have a very limited audience, all of whom already paid for it, thus costing Sony a lot of money. I realise it's taking joy in the misfortune of others, and also that large projects like this on KS actually benefit small projects, but it still amuses me. If this scenario plays out, it also means there is effectively zero chance for a Shenmue III, but honestly the game sounds like boring crap anyway. Who gives a poo poo what someone has in the drawers in their house, I can look inside drawers all I want in the real world.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

It's almost like humour is relative. I find amusement in the possibility that Sony will pour millions of dollars into a game that might be incredibly niche and have a very limited audience, all of whom already paid for it, thus costing Sony a lot of money. I realise it's taking joy in the misfortune of others, and also that large projects like this on KS actually benefit small projects, but it still amuses me. If this scenario plays out, it also means there is effectively zero chance for a Shenmue III, but honestly the game sounds like boring crap anyway. Who gives a poo poo what someone has in the drawers in their house, I can look inside drawers all I want in the real world.

So you find accounting funny. That's nice for you.

I also don't see how there will be zero chance of a Shenmue III when they have the money and Sany behind them? Did you hit your head recently?

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya it's a shame honestly

Not really a shame though. Like, since games are the sort of thing you can give me for fractions of a penny of bandwidth and hosting costs, why shouldn't I get the game if I'm giving you money to make the game. Tons of the music projects will kick you the album or song, movie/video projects also usually give you a digital copy. Hell, I kickstarted some random student's on-stage production thing with like a combo of art and music and I at least got a copy of a CD of the music.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Memento posted:

Kickstarter: reminding goons just how tiny their niches are when contrasted to slightly larger niches.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Memento posted:

Who gives a poo poo what someone has in the drawers in their house, I can look inside drawers all I want in the real world.

:ohdear: Just how many people are going through my drawers when I'm not around?!

edit: Also, does this mean there's a potential genre of home snooping for VR?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm already working on Panty Peepers HD. If you preorder you get the bonus Tighty Whitey skin pack.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you find accounting funny. That's nice for you.

I also don't see how there will be zero chance of a Shenmue III when they have the money and Sany behind them? Did you hit your head recently?

Sorry, I mean Shenmue IV. That is a definite error of judgement on my part that you would consider someone to have brain damage to have made, and not a typo. Indeed.

It's not accounting, it's megacorporations trying to leverage grassroots crowdfunding to do their loving jobs for them and getting bitten in the arse.

I don't know why I have attracted the ire of the almighty fishmech so I will withdraw from this line of questioning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

Sorry, I mean Shenmue IV. That is a definite error of judgement on my part that you would consider someone to have brain damage to have made, and not a typo. Indeed.

It's not accounting, it's megacorporations trying to leverage grassroots crowdfunding to do their loving jobs for them and getting bitten in the arse.

I don't know why I have attracted the ire of the almighty fishmech so I will withdraw from this line of questioning.

It seemed just as stupid as everything else you've typed on the subject on Shenmue III and I've already seen several chicken littles elsewhere online who believe "something something Sony's just going to keep all the money".

And what job is that? How is Sony getting "bitten on the rear end" by getting free money to cut down their own costs? You're really not making any sense at all. None of the people behind the kickstarter lose out at this stage of the game.. they might have if it flopped but it didn't because they hit their goal less than a week in.

Because you described arcane business accounting details as "hillarious", dude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

It seemed just as stupid as everything else you've typed on the subject on Shenmue III and I've already seen several chicken littles elsewhere online who believe "something something Sony's just going to keep all the money".

And what job is that? How is Sony getting "bitten on the rear end" by getting free money to cut down their own costs? You're really not making any sense at all. None of the people behind the kickstarter lose out at this stage of the game.. they might have if it flopped but it didn't because they hit their goal less than a week in.

Because you described arcane business accounting details as "hillarious", dude.

Sony is paying additional money into a game that has possibly taken in all of the money it's going to get via kickstarter. The money Sony is putting in is more than the money that has come in from kickstarter. No more money will come in from that game. Sony loses money. This amuses me, because I am amused by the misfortunes of others.

The job of corporations is to produce products and market those products. I guess using kickstarter to do that for them, for free, is a creative way of getting other people to do your job for you, but it doesn't make it any less cynical.

I never said I think Sony is going to keep all of the money. I said Sony is paying money to help make a game that may have already taken all of the money it's ever going to get, said money which has gone to Ys. So Sony paying for production, marketing and publishing is money it may simply lose, having incorrectly taken the sample of "people who backed Shenmue III on Kickstarter" as representative of the market population as a whole.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

Sony is paying additional money into a game that has possibly taken in all of the money it's going to get via kickstarter. The money Sony is putting in is more than the money that has come in from kickstarter. No more money will come in from that game. Sony loses money.

I never said I think Sony is going to keep all of the money. I said Sony is paying money to help make a game that has already taken all of the money it's ever going to get, which has gone to Ys. So Sony paying for production, marketing and publishing is money it will lose.

It's only "possibly" that if you know nothing of how things work. It's also still got 11 days to go so it's going to probably rack up more millions, especially with last day lollygaggers. Sony won't lose money.

So you said something factually wrong. Got it. There has already been more money for that game from the time you wrote that post, you silly little man, and your doomsday scenario of them putting it on steam sale for $5 also gets it a lot more money - I sure hope you understand by now that games don't cost $60 because that's what they actually cost to make!

Memento posted:

The job of corporations is to produce products and market those products. I guess using kickstarter to do that for them, for free, is a creative way of getting other people to do your job for you, but it doesn't make it any less cynical.

They are producing and marketing a product with a third party involved, just like Sony does when they hire ad agencies... you really don't seem to understand business at all. And Kickstarter ain't doing it for free, Kickstarter gets a healthy cut. If what you're truly upset about is SOny of all people being cynical then I think the adult world just isn't for you.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I didn't believe it either but apparently the person who posted the tumblr post worked for whatpumpkin (the merch house for homestuck and thus would have better access to internal documents like that), radiation (a guy who's worked for hussie directly and is currently developing a game) retweeted it, and when asked hussie did a "refuse to comment" non comment over an outright denial or assertion that what happened was false

Also the tumblr post has already been deleted

All that combines into a fairly compelling case that what happened was at worst exaggerated and more than likely true, especially considering that what specifically happened within it isn't even specifically a revolutionary concept; gearbox did literally the same thing when developing aliens colonial marines/borderlands 2 with the money they were given from sega

Also there's the fact that hussie took a nearly year-long break with no explanation for why, and drawn out legal proceedings because the dev you contracted embezzled the money makes the timeline make more sense

I was skeptical too but it's too neat of an explanation that has a bunch of circumstantial evidence supporting it that makes it seem plausible and even logical to be an outright falsehood

It's a super lovely thing and I hope the settlement has at least enough money to compensate for the money lost and spent by TOG as well as for time spent. I'd imagine the legal proceedings might've gone okay for Hussie, but it would've taken a lot more time and money out of both that neither wanted to spend.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's only "possibly" that if you know nothing of how things work. It's also still got 11 days to go so it's going to probably rack up more millions, especially with last day lollygaggers. Sony won't lose money.

So you said something factually wrong. Got it. There has already been more money for that game from the time you wrote that post, you silly little man, and your doomsday scenario of them putting it on steam sale for $5 also gets it a lot more money - I sure hope you understand by now that games don't cost $60 because that's what they actually cost to make!

And all of that KS money goes to Ys, which is what I said. I don't know where you're getting the idea of Sony taking the money from, because I never said that.

You've enlightened me on how things work, and I appreciate that, thank you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

And all of that KS money goes to Ys, which is what I said. I don't know where you're getting the idea of Sony taking the money from, because I never said that.

The more money YS NET gets, the less money Sony pays. This is, to Sony, effectively the same as them (Sony) getting extra money.since they were already prepared to pay X amount and now need to pay X minus whatever the Kickstarter finalizes over the goal. Since the goal was 2 million and Sony was probably only expecting a successful kickstarter to raise a little over that to be worth it to them, we can assume something like $2.1 million is where Sony starts having to pay less money then originally budgeted after kickstarter fees on that amount, so they're up like $2.3 million minus kickstarter fees by now.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Motto posted:

Ideally, the Kickstarter would generate enough funds to pay the salaries of the developers, which is the exact same deal they'd get with a publisher. Getting more sales afterwards just means extra money for the developers, which is always nice, but not selling a single copy outside of Kickstarter shouldn't really be a problem, because the developers already got theirs, and the backers wouldn't be looking to or even able to profit monetarily like a publisher would.

Publishers giving millions of dollars of support to these larger Kickstarter projects actually seems like a horrible idea on the part of those publishers. There's no way in hell games like Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9 are going to make back all this money from people who didn't pledge to the Kickstarter, and this trend of KS+publisher is going to die off immediately.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yooka-Laylee has external funding, but I don't think they've talked much about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

The more money YS NET gets, the less money Sony pays. This is, to Sony, effectively the same as them (Sony) getting extra money.since they were already prepared to pay X amount and now need to pay X minus whatever the Kickstarter finalizes over the goal. Since the goal was 2 million and Sony was probably only expecting a successful kickstarter to raise a little over that to be worth it to them, we can assume something like $2.1 million is where Sony starts having to pay less money then originally budgeted after kickstarter fees on that amount, so they're up like $2.3 million minus kickstarter fees by now.

So how does that work with promised stretch goal features in this sort of arrangement? Would Sony have budgeted to support them regardless, or would they have a cost matrix for the things they want that has trigger points where (x) funding pushes them over the limit for (y) stretch goal, even though that's more money Sony needs to put in? Or would stretch stuff be budgeted strictly from KS funds?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not really a shame though. Like, since games are the sort of thing you can give me for fractions of a penny of bandwidth and hosting costs, why shouldn't I get the game if I'm giving you money to make the game. Tons of the music projects will kick you the album or song, movie/video projects also usually give you a digital copy. Hell, I kickstarted some random student's on-stage production thing with like a combo of art and music and I at least got a copy of a CD of the music.
I don't care that it's pre-orders I care that the main things that get funded are projects (often backed by large companies) and not neat stuff for the sake of neat stuff!!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

thisg ame looks like poop

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A good poster posted:

Ideally, the Kickstarter would generate enough funds to pay the salaries of the developers, which is the exact same deal they'd get with a publisher. Getting more sales afterwards just means extra money for the developers, which is always nice, but not selling a single copy outside of Kickstarter shouldn't really be a problem, because the developers already got theirs, and the backers wouldn't be looking to or even able to profit monetarily like a publisher would.

Publishers giving millions of dollars of support to these larger Kickstarter projects actually seems like a horrible idea on the part of those publishers. There's no way in hell games like Yooka-Laylee and Mighty No. 9 are going to make back all this money from people who didn't pledge to the Kickstarter, and this trend of KS+publisher is going to die off immediately.

Ah, right. I actually managed to forget that developing through kickstarter means that they aren't beholden to a publisher that needs to see profits from their investment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress the stick leg haters, this one looks lovely.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

stick legs 4 lyfe

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Memento posted:

Sony is paying additional money into a game that has possibly taken in all of the money it's going to get via kickstarter.
It might have an audience. Dreamcasts weren't owned by that many people, but Shenmue still has a lot of fans even today.....! WHY do they still remember the game a decade later, you ask? It's not just because of the immersive graphics based on the full reactive eyes entertainment (FREE) engine, I can tell you that. It's just a special game for special people. If it gels with you, it really gels with you! There is nothing else quite like it, so it might have great success! Maybe it won't. All business decisions involve some risk. Welp.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Memento posted:

Sony is paying additional money into a game that has possibly taken in all of the money it's going to get via kickstarter. The money Sony is putting in is more than the money that has come in from kickstarter. No more money will come in from that game. Sony loses money. This amuses me, because I am amused by the misfortunes of others.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710941&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This is amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Memento posted:

So how does that work with promised stretch goal features in this sort of arrangement? Would Sony have budgeted to support them regardless, or would they have a cost matrix for the things they want that has trigger points where (x) funding pushes them over the limit for (y) stretch goal, even though that's more money Sony needs to put in? Or would stretch stuff be budgeted strictly from KS funds?

Yes, the stretch stuff would be budgeted from the kickstarter funds (and if they do it like many other big projects, also from the ongoing paypal stuff they'll surely set up). This is the reason no one involved is saying how much Sony is putting in - that won't actually be known til a while after the ks closes.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i guess i have to hold up the stick leg hater side of the tug of war because woof that is some terrible art direction

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nintendo Kid posted:

What? This is incredibly dumb. By this logic, at the point you think Sony (or whoever) would start reducing what they'd chip in to fund the game, YSNet would be better served by asking people to stop giving to the Kickstarter entirely, so that they can instead get money directly from Sony without having to lose ~10% of that money to Kickstarter's processing fees. And why would they keep adding stretch goals if meeting those goals wouldn't actually make them any more money to pay for those goals? This thing you wrote here makes no sense at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gtrmp posted:

What? This is incredibly dumb.

It isn't. Why do you think Sony ain't saying poo poo about how much they're willing to put in?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

gtrmp posted:

so that they can instead get money directly from Sony without having to lose ~10% of that money to Kickstarter's processing fees. And why would they keep adding stretch goals if meeting those goals wouldn't actually make them any more money to pay for those goals?

wouldn't the percentage of sony's involvement come out of their net (or gross) profits?

Sony's not giving them free money like the kickstarter. The kickstarter rewards have a finite value. Sony's gonna take a cut forever of everything.

You would prefer to never take investment money when you can take relatively obligation free money at a 10% loss. If your take is 5m from sony, 5m from Kickstarter, you can reasonably assume Sony's gonna take maybe half your net. They're doing it as an investment, Kickstarter people are doing it for trinkets.

You always want to pay out in trinkets. They're way cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nintendo Kid posted:

It isn't. Why do you think Sony ain't saying poo poo about how much they're willing to put in?
Because large companies do not, in general, discuss their finances when not required by law, and they especially don't discuss the details of their contracts with other companies.