Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If hongkong is as good as dragon fall I'll back it too. I love me some mech games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Megazver posted:

TACTICAL ‘MECH COMBAT RETURNS TO THE PC.

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.​

This could be amazing. I expect they'll be using a lot of the stuff they made for Shadowrun.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh goddamn Harebrained, you've got my attention.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

To squeeze in some more pixel art talk, Dropsy is going to be out September 10!

AND related adventure game news, Indiegogo funded Fran Bow from a couple years back is out August 27.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Maybe this will lead to another FP 'mech game, though even a turn-based one is great. I didn't ever like MechWarrior online or any of the other mods that have come out in the last few years too much.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

RightClickSaveAs posted:

To squeeze in some more pixel art talk, Dropsy is going to be out September 10!

AND related adventure game news, Indiegogo funded Fran Bow from a couple years back is out August 27.

And we just released our trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA

It's so weird that this is actually a thing I made.
Thanks to everyone here who helped with the KS a few years ago. :)

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Congrats Gaspy! Looking forward to it, that was a lot of hard work, good to see you've pulled through, trailer looks great.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kenshin posted:

Oh goddamn Harebrained, you've got my attention.

This will be their FOURTH kickstarer, I think.

And I'm probably going to back even though I'm not into mech anything, they just do such a good job on everything I feel they deserve some money.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

No Gravitas posted:

This will be their FOURTH kickstarer, I think.

And I'm probably going to back even though I'm not into mech anything, they just do such a good job on everything I feel they deserve some money.

Did Golem Arcana end up going anywhere or did it fizzle and flop?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh hey September 10th is my birthday. Thanks Gaspy! :buddy:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GaistHeidegger posted:

It was a "goal met", but unimpressive kickstarter. Then it kinda grew a lot after a while.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm certainly satisfied with how things are going with it, at any rate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Megazver posted:

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.​

That sounds loving radical, but I'm a little sad it's not Mech Commander 3.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

GaistHeidegger posted:

It actually got released and I've seen it in stores before.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds loving radical, but I'm a little sad it's not Mech Commander 3.

I'm the opposite, Mech Commander was mainly a sort of tactical strategy game, with little to no RPG elements. Battletech is a RPG at its core, the combat is just...well, combat. I'm looking forward to role playing, interesting characters, and an engaging story (things Mech Commander never had, afaik).

The very fact it's Battletech instead of Mechwarrior makes me very happy and hopeful, I'll definitely be backing this one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

Harebrained Schemes, Kickstarter BATTLETECH. turn-based, PC open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management

Half of those words were enough to make me ready my wallet for another backing. Mercenaries-style alone would've done it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So it's a RPG about mechs, basically?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kurtofan posted:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/battletech-the-crescent-hawks-inception

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr E posted:

Maybe this will lead to another FP 'mech game, though even a turn-based one is great. I didn't ever like MechWarrior online or any of the other mods that have come out in the last few years too much.

Good news, you'll never see another FP/TP while PGI draws a breath. They even C&D'd Mechwarrior Living Legends (the Crysis Wars mod) even though it didn't really compete.

I'm not even sure about the licensing status of this one, but I'm assuming that the turn-based game that was launching at the same time as MWO has fallen through and reverted.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'm the opposite, Mech Commander was mainly a sort of tactical strategy game, with little to no RPG elements. Battletech is a RPG at its core, the combat is just...well, combat. I'm looking forward to role playing, interesting characters, and an engaging story (things Mech Commander never had, afaik).

They actually had some pretty awesome storylines, In the first game you were part of an invasion force attempting to liberate Port Arthur from the clan, but one of the battalions has gone missing. It leveraged the tinkering with the Mechs to magnificant effect and allowed you to make specific choices in actually running the missions.

The tactical choices were multivarious, and you couldn't simply blob up as you're both outgunned and behind enemy lines.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Boma Naraka Sura is another Metroidvania, the angle this being that it's done by an Indonesian developer and based on Indonesian culture.

The gameplay seems a little generic, but I'm not a Metroidvania fan, so they all blur together for me, but it's to have an original theme. Hope we get more games from different third world devs like this. THERE IS A DEMO AVAILABLE.

GaistHeidegger posted:

I just checked it out and its main page and its Boardgame geek page seem active enough. I guess at the very least they're not losing money on it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Presumably it will be like Shadowrun with mechs, either using two different combat systems and scales or maybe it will be mission based with all RPG interaction taking place between missions.

Either way it's really cool as someone who has zero interest in any multiplayer/F2P Mechwarrior game. I'd rather want a big expensive Mechwarrior 5, but this is definitely the next best thing, Harebrained Schemes can do little wrong in my book, and the very nature of it being a mech game automatically makes the character dynamic very different from most RPGs.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Veib posted:

I went in almost completely blind on Shadowrun Returns knowing nothing beyond the very basics of the universe and loved the games, here I've at least played Mechwarrior 2. Definitely backing that.

Is Mechwarrior part of the Battletech universe? I thought that series was Microsoft's own IP that kind of emulated it

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Is Mechwarrior part of the Battletech universe? I thought that series was Microsoft's own IP that kind of emulated it

The MechWarrior series are set in the BattleTech universe, yes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Nope. Battledroids was the first boardgame, and that became BattleTech because of a copyright dispute (Lucasfilm and 'Droid'). A few years later Mechwarrior the RPG was released.

All the same universe, just beset with various licensing and copyright issues. For instance, the front cover of Mechwarrior was a glorious rendition of a Rifleman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KiddieGrinder posted:

The very fact it's Battletech instead of Mechwarrior makes me very happy and hopeful, I'll definitely be backing this one.

I get you, I just really loved commanding a batallion of mechs through complicated strategic missions and having to balance my budget and salvage enemy parts.

I'm probably backing this.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Hav posted:

Nope. Battledroids was the first boardgame, and that became BattleTech because of a copyright dispute (Lucasfilm and 'Droid'). A few years later Mechwarrior the RPG was released.

All the same universe, just beset with various licensing and copyright issues. For instance, the front cover of Mechwarrior was a glorious rendition of a Rifleman.

Having only memories of playing Mechwarrior 2 and not paying attention to anything I always had the mistaken notion that Mechwarrior was the name of the universe IP, so this is all very educational. The Kickstarter pitch seems good, hopefully the combat's a bit better than Shadowrun.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Combat will no doubt be a bigger focus in this game than in Shadowrun due to its nature as a tactical wargame. Maybe they'll just adapt the actual rules of whatever edition is the newest?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Also to add to what previous posters said, the only MechWarrior game Microsoft ever published was 4. They did however also publish the two MechAssault games on the original Xbox, were you maybe thinking of those? They're also set in the Battletech universe.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hay guiz remember Red Ash?? Well guess what it's happening regardless of if the Kickstarter succeeds! Thanks for the money dudes we'll be sure to develop some rad "extras" now :wink: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1308824

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well they aren't getting any money from Kickstarter cause it aint reaching its goal and now people will pull their money anyway

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

This is the company behind Red Ash's funding. gently caress, man.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sounds like a perfect match

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah! Take that, Ouya!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah "low configuration" was the problem with the OUYA. :psylon:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Haha holy poo poo. I honestly can't believe they didn't rip Minecraft screenshots too.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Can' t believe
this can be called "game
console" , ! ! !

e: Forums unfucked the formatting. Poor performance !

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Gaspy Conana posted:

And we just released our trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjByXbenA

It's so weird that this is actually a thing I made.
Thanks to everyone here who helped with the KS a few years ago. :)

Excellent to see you have a release date!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yodzilla posted:

Haha holy poo poo. I honestly can't believe they didn't rip Minecraft screenshots too.

allow me to sweeten the pot

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=288101783

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ah, yes. Halo, a well known OUYA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Yooka-Laylee devs have revealed their publisher: it's Team17, the Worms dudes.