Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Yooka-Laylee devs have revealed their publisher: it's Team17, the Worms dudes.
well rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Yooka-Laylee devs have revealed their publisher: it's Team17, the Worms dudes.

That's unfortunate.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It is? They've been publishing other games recently, including at retail, and it seems to be doing well for them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, the only thing I think of when I think Team17 these days is low effort games and more Worms, but I guess they're ok publishers?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Not the Team17 monsters!!!

no problem with this whatsoever.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

British devs stick together.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They're doing a retail release for it too.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

From the update comments:

"Yes, this is for the prologue "The KalKanon Incident" only. The main story is for the future!"

:rip: RedAsh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, the only thing I think of when I think Team17 these days is low effort games and more Worms, but I guess they're ok publishers?
Yeah, they've handled publishing for a bunch of small-scale indie games... The Escapists seems to be the most prolific so far.

They've handled retail publishing in the recent past for The Escapists PS4 and their own games, so if they go that route there's experience at least.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

It is? They've been publishing other games recently, including at retail, and it seems to be doing well for them.

Too bad they aren't actually making other games. As an old Amiga fan it is a shame to see one of the top developers having lost all desire to create anything new, instead they just make endless variations of Worms.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Sounded more like they partnered up so Team 17 could do all the boring business stuff that comes with creating a game, while Playtonic focuses on the actual game. I don't think Team 17 will have any creative influence on the game.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

Sounded more like they partnered up so Team 17 could do all the boring business stuff that comes with creating a game, while Playtonic focuses on the actual game. I don't think Team 17 will have any creative influence on the game.
they're handling qa though

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Oasx posted:

Too bad they aren't actually making other games. As an old Amiga fan it is a shame to see one of the top developers having lost all desire to create anything new, instead they just make endless variations of Worms.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/260330/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

I hadn't seen that one, but i still think my point stands, since they made the original Worms, there have been 25 different versions of Worms, and a bunch of remakes and sequels to other games.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I kinda liked Worms 3D

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Who the hell would be trying to kickstart another 3d Larry game?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nobody. I'm just throwing that into the "this is what I think when I think Team 17" pile.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: Harebrained Schemes BattleTech

Rumours (ie Tweets) seem to be suggesting that they're working with PGI and using their art assets for the game. Which is interesting and saddening, mainly because PGI are terribad.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Uhm

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

moot point, they don't get the money if they don't hit the goal and it's not looking good for them right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's still astoundingly dumb and it's hard to believe they're still pulling boneheaded moves this far in.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Everything about Red Ash has screamed "astoundingly dumb" to me, but I'm admittedly not that invested in MML to begin with. I think it's funny that they are working on some ephemeral stretch goals for what amounts to a demo.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SupSuper posted:

British devs stick together.
:3:
edit:

Oasx posted:

Because their Alien Swarm clones sold great, and everybody wanted a sequel to their Leisure Suit Larry game.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hav posted:

Re: Harebrained Schemes BattleTech

Rumours (ie Tweets) seem to be suggesting that they're working with PGI and using their art assets for the game. Which is interesting and saddening, mainly because PGI are terribad.

MWO is a bad game, built if there is one thing PGI generally got right it was the visuals of the 'mechs. Even the old TRO3025 stuff looks great.

At least it all did when I stopped paying attention to the game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Levantine posted:

Everything about Red Ash has screamed "astoundingly dumb" to me, but I'm admittedly not that invested in MML to begin with. I think it's funny that they are working on some ephemeral stretch goals for what amounts to a demo.

Plenty of people who are/were fairly invested in MML think everything about Red Ash is "astoundingly dumb."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Considering the canceling of MML3 was what set them down the path of MN9, this is a dumb beyond dumb. They've burned out the copy of the game that got people mad enough to give money to 9.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

MWO is a bad game, built if there is one thing PGI generally got right it was the visuals of the 'mechs. Even the old TRO3025 stuff looks great.

At least it all did when I stopped paying attention to the game.

I bought a founders pack and ran out of time to play the game. By the time I logged in, Ghost Heat was a thing and it was poptart hell. I briefly logged in again after they dropped CW, but it was seriously loving unfun.

Number 19 is saying that PGI has a cross-licensing deal for the art, which is better. I've not entirely forgiven them for shutting down Living Legends. There's also that whole IGP debacle, which still makes me wonder. They actually collected money for MW:Tactics.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MWO is a perfect example of a company leadership that's used to being able to drop their current lovely project and move on to the next one, only to find that in the league they're now playing in that doesn't fly at all. The obvious use of MWO funds for the development of their escape attempt was depressing, but not surprising.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Great Joe posted:

Because their Alien Swarm clones sold great
Hahaha what

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

I don't know if the thread is burnt out on Shenmue already, but George Weidman just did a video on their Kickstarter and the Japanese agency that handled it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvy0yzgVWc

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Mighty Number 9 still looks boring to me, but I'd find any Megaman boring nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tangiers is almost done and it looks to be shaping up... well, I have no idea how, but it looks really nice at least. Here's the latest backer update.

Alex Harvey posted:

Release Dates

Release Dates Our Beta for Tangiers will launch on September 9th, 2015!
We will be coming to Retail on November 26th, 2015!

On the Beta, we will be getting in touch with the relevant backers two weeks beforehand to sort out signups and the like.
We'll also be going over our plans for retail launch, reward mailouts and so on at the same time.

With these dates we get 3 months, take a bit, before we move onto retail. Two months of this will be dedicated to backer feedback and bugfixes, the remainder on the handful of incomplete features.

Beta is a little later than anticipated - I was aiming for an August 17th release to coincide with the anniversary of us getting funded.
Unfortunately, a few business commitments + a some release conflicts around the time meant that pushing it back was the wisest decision.
A few games coming out at that share a strong overlap of interest and/or backers. I don't want to tread on anyones feet or force anyone to split their precious weekend free time amongst multiple long awaited releases, so we're sidestepping to avoid them!
FREE SOUNDTRACK EP

To celebrate the announcement, we've put together a free soundtrack EP!

http://tangiers.bandcamp.com/
(Bandcamp says "pay what you want", just enter zero as the price).

This release is seperate against the soundtrack covered by our backer rewards.
With our musician, we thought it would be nice to make a couple of standalone remixes from the various components used to generate the ingame audio.
NEW WEBSITE

After a headache with the previous domain (billing info incorrect, unable to access details needed to change), we had to get hold of a new website: http://andalusiangames.com/

We have built a new one here! Going to be expanding this as time goes on - there's a few snippets of information on the world and setting to be found here (hidden amongst a design style that will be horribly dated by next year).
COMMUNITY

Last month I mentioned that we were finally sorting things out on our community front. We now have ourselves a proper community/PR person - Erik Scott.
Erik has worked on our UI design and fortuitously has relevant experience so took over the mantle.

Have already started posting regularly on the tumblr, with scheduling 3 weeks in advance to ensure that we are suitably reliant. Weekly devlogs, design thoughts, pretty images and so forth will be making their appearance! Erik will also be covering things on here from next week, so any comments and so forth will be attended to promptly from now on. We've already started posting on the
TRAILER

After a fairly rough past year, it's time to show how we've progressed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s3F2P-OMLQ

A few notes on the Trailer:

First, preempting any comments, view bob /is/ adjustable, and will probably be toned down by release ;).

Second, the trailer features a couple of two-way animations such as the takedowns. These are canned animations at the moment, control freezes while the sequence plays out.
We won't be doing this in the final game.
Instead, we have a simple little system that simulates a degree of physics and control, and blends that into the animation.
So for example, with the table drag, the sequence would adjust if the player is moving sideways when the AI grabs them, or if the player is moving against the AI's pulling force.
This isn't quite ready for public consumption yet so won't make it into beta, but it will make it into the final game to give us a bit more polish.

Third, the words mechanic is notably absent from the trailer! We avoided the words mechanic because, in the context of a short trailer, paying lipservice to that aspect of Tangiers has confused more than educated people.
We will be focusing on that in a dedicated video relatively soon.

Fourth, there aren't many of the dynamic actions available to the AI on display.
Mix of reasons for this!
The final animation set for these is still in production (one of our last items), so that limits what is suitable to display. From what /is/ suitable for display, we thought it best to avoid in the trailer.
In a 90 second context, having enemies vault over tables, throw furniture at the player & take up defensive positions goes against the "slow stealth" idea we were trying to communicate!

Lastly, the surreal is a little toned down here.
All the footage and content here comes from the Beta. As previously explained, the Beta acts as a prequel to the main storyline.
Things in Tangiers haven't quite reached fish-on-legs floaty buildings weird at this stage of the narrative. But they will ;).

The trailer is very pretty but lacks much of what he assures us will be important parts of normal gameplay and isn't quite as balls-to-the-wall insane as the game will apparently get. Still looking forward to playing it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wendell posted:

Mighty Number 9 still looks boring to me, but I'd find any Megaman boring nowadays.

The whole scoring thing seems like something that should be an extra mode and not the main part of the game. I'd rather have a simple satisfying platformer than this hyperactive speedrunning nightmare where the actual parts that resemble Mega Man's gameplay almost seem like an afterthought.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's kinda weird that the core gameplay is the one thing they decided not to be conservative about but it doesn't bother me too much.

Red Ash update: they finally decided to disclose the new purpose of the kickstarter and the ratio of Fuze-funded content to "stretch goals" - in a nutshell, Fuze is paying for the full prologue (as opposed to the full game...) as well as Japanese VA and some other unannounced stuff, and the "stretch goals" are little additions like a challenge dungeon or a new character. None of the "stretch goals" will be funded and completely changing the thrust of your campaign 5 days before the end is lunacy but I'm glad they finally worked out how to write a non-ambiguous update, if nothing else.

Seriously, can anyone think of another "should have been a slamdunk but wasn't" campaign that's gone as badly as Red Ash?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was going to ask if there has actually been anything good come out after Road Redemption, Shadowgate and Carmageddon all leaving at least something to be desired. But then I seen Volgarr in the OP which is good. But then I seen Ouya in the OP....

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

codo27 posted:

I was going to ask if there has actually been anything good come out after Road Redemption, Shadowgate and Carmageddon all leaving at least something to be desired. But then I seen Volgarr in the OP which is good. But then I seen Ouya in the OP....
Darkest Dungeon is still Early Access but is really solid already.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Define "good".

You mentioned Volgarr so you might wanna check out Odallus: The Dark Call - it's a Castlevania/Demon's Crest-style game from the team that made Oniken and it finally came out after being crowdfunded about two years ago.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Darkest Dungeon is still Early Access but is really solid already.

+1

Into the Stars isn't terrible. Still early, but they're responding to the community. It's FTL from the point of view of the bridge, and is a series of linked minigames intended to help you outrun the baddies and help your crew and passengers survive.

Sui Generis produced a little walking and fighting simulator on Steam called Examina. It was rough as all hell up to a couple of days ago, but he's working on a full revision after getting some feedback. Sui Generis is one of those that isn't going to be done quickly, and I can't recommend Examina at the moment. Reminds me a bit of Kenshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wendell posted:

If the normal walking speed is so slow that the player has to dash constantly, why can't they just increase the walking speed?