Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Woah, yet another point 'n click adventure. This time it's SnarfQuest Tales, which looks so familiar yet I can't place it. It's based on these comics by this old bearded guy that hams it up in the video pitch, Larry Elmore. I'm not a big comics guy so if he's someone that's real good and famous, apologies, I'm an ignoramus.

Game looks like this:

IDK, no matter how sweet the graphics are, I always feel 3d cheapens a point 'n click a little, but I know it's the old man I'm becoming thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mr Underhill posted:

Woah, yet another point 'n click adventure. This time it's SnarfQuest Tales, which looks so familiar yet I can't place it. It's based on these comics by this old bearded guy that hams it up in the video pitch, Larry Elmore. I'm not a big comics guy so if he's someone that's real good and famous, apologies, I'm an ignoramus.
He's mostly notable for his D&D work back in the day.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr Underhill posted:

I love Elmore's artwork (I backed both his Kickstarter books) and I love Snarfquest (backed both Kickstarters for that too), so of course I backed this as well.

That being said, the Alpha/Demo they posted for this game is really rough. Even if you give the animations, camera, and voices a pass since the KS pitch says they're going to be reworked, the writing in it is really lame. They seriously need to hit the 40k stretch goal to bring in another writer, hopefully one who won't make a "the cake is a lie" joke in TYOOL 2015.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

codo27 posted:

I was going to ask if there has actually been anything good come out after Road Redemption, Shadowgate and Carmageddon all leaving at least something to be desired. But then I seen Volgarr in the OP which is good. But then I seen Ouya in the OP....

Full Bore was kickstarted at something like 12,000 dollars and is seriously fantastic. I expect that It was a passion or side project for the developers, which would explain the low funding requirement (just going for enough money to maybe commission some good music or license a game engine rather than needing to pay an entire team salary). Still, it's one of the most satisfying tile-based puzzle games I've ever played, and the art and music is wonderful.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Nemo2342 posted:

I love Elmore's artwork (I backed both his Kickstarter books) and I love Snarfquest (backed both Kickstarters for that too), so of course I backed this as well.

That being said, the Alpha/Demo they posted for this game is really rough. Even if you give the animations, camera, and voices a pass since the KS pitch says they're going to be reworked, the writing in it is really lame. They seriously need to hit the 40k stretch goal to bring in another writer, hopefully one who won't make a "the cake is a lie" joke in TYOOL 2015.

Gave the demo a quick spin. Graphics-wise it's real good, animations are a little stiff, VA is placeholder, I think... Really what bothered me most, beside the writing, which could be OK since i feel this might be more geared towards kids, is how painfully long it takes for the character to start walking where you indicated, and how sluggish the mouse movement is. If they only fixed that it'd improve the demo quality tenfold.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda weird that the core gameplay is the one thing they decided not to be conservative about but it doesn't bother me too much.

Red Ash update: they finally decided to disclose the new purpose of the kickstarter and the ratio of Fuze-funded content to "stretch goals" - in a nutshell, Fuze is paying for the full prologue (as opposed to the full game...) as well as Japanese VA and some other unannounced stuff, and the "stretch goals" are little additions like a challenge dungeon or a new character. None of the "stretch goals" will be funded and completely changing the thrust of your campaign 5 days before the end is lunacy but I'm glad they finally worked out how to write a non-ambiguous update, if nothing else.

Seriously, can anyone think of another "should have been a slamdunk but wasn't" campaign that's gone as badly as Red Ash?

Everyone that would have backed Red Ash also backed the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter. It's most likely carrying the stink from No. 9's development history, which pissed off a lot of people that would have pledged for another Comcept game.

ymgve posted:

If the normal walking speed is so slow that the player has to dash constantly, why can't they just increase the walking speed?

It's a megaman speedrun. Of course there's going to be a lot of dashing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No. 9 looks really bland and ugly.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mr Underhill posted:

Gave the demo a quick spin. Graphics-wise it's real good, animations are a little stiff, VA is placeholder, I think... Really what bothered me most, beside the writing, which could be OK since i feel this might be more geared towards kids, is how painfully long it takes for the character to start walking where you indicated, and how sluggish the mouse movement is. If they only fixed that it'd improve the demo quality tenfold.

I felt like the graphics were decent, though not spectacular. Having read the comics, I'd have honestly prefered it to be 2D instead, but they were faithful enough that it wasn't a deal breaker (though Willie really should be sitting in a bowl of water). I did run into a pathfinding bug on my first playthrough and had to start over, but I wasn't able to reproduce it the next two times I tried.

The only other thing that bothered me was that some of the writing didn't mesh with the source material, but I'm really hoping that's just for the demo and not indicative of the rest of what they're planning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wendell posted:

Mighty Number 9 still looks boring to me, but I'd find any Megaman boring nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y
I'm glad that they focused on what Megaman fans really want in a game: lots of dialogue and cutscenes

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Snarfquest left the building over twenty five years ago. It has less cultural impact than Leisure Suit Larry, even for neckbeardy trad gamers. But eh.

Honestly, it's the relatively low ask and baffling inclusion of hundred-plus dollar add-on statuettes and poo poo that's really making me feel like I'm in a time warp... a warp back to pledge levels loaded with branded shirts, USB keys and bottle openers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm glad that they focused on what Megaman fans really want in a game: lots of dialogue and cutscenes

Isn't that precisely what the Megaman games had, at least after the SNES games?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Renoistic posted:

Isn't that precisely what the Megaman games had, at least after the SNES games?

Yeah and those games are all terrible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and those games are all terrible.

Well battle network, zero, and zx get praised for their gameplay but almost everyone agrees that the gameplay is the high point and they'd be better if they just focused on that.

E: and by gameplay I mean the shooty bits, sidescrolling megaman games kind of fell behind the times in other gameplay aspects like loving bizarre and limiting upgrade systems and keeping the lives system. Like locking upgrades behind pressure inducing performance grades or reploids on the field who can die permanently, or making your upgrades anthropomorphic chao like things you have to feed and raise and who die if you use them. they're highly debated by the megaman thread of course, as you've seen, but really I think that putting more thought into that and putting more content into the game instead of the near universally panned stories is something that could've saved things.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that until game 4 battle network was the best selling megaman series, and unlike zero it offered an insane amount of customization without punishing you for trying, did not have a lives system, and has a poo poo ton more content than just eight levels like an entire post game.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 31, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was more talking about the X series and Mega Man 8. Zero, while relatively plot-heavy, doesn't interrupt the gameplay that often with stupid plot bullshit, and there's very little voice acting and no FMVs.

Battle network is basically a JRPG so it'd be really weird if it didn't have a lot of talkin.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bieeardo posted:

Snarfquest left the building over twenty five years ago. It has less cultural impact than Leisure Suit Larry, even for neckbeardy trad gamers. But eh.

Honestly, it's the relatively low ask and baffling inclusion of hundred-plus dollar add-on statuettes and poo poo that's really making me feel like I'm in a time warp... a warp back to pledge levels loaded with branded shirts, USB keys and bottle openers.

To be fair, Snarfquest did just have its' 30th anniversary and Elmore just released a followup graphic novel, both on Kickstarter. So it's not like this is a shot in the dark trying to find backers, but it probably isn't going to (and isn't meant to) reach a huge swath of new fans. However based on the email Elmore send out to his previous backers, this campaign is supposed to start at GenCon and end at DragonCon, so I'm guessing they're going to try build some awareness among the neckbeardy trad gamers there.

In addition to the add-ons, the higher tiers themselves are laid out really weirdly. I think this is the first time I've seen a Kickstarter set up so that the top tiers don't include all of the lower tiers as well.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hope this doesn't raise the pixel art discussion from the grave, but yet ANOTHER point 'n click hit Kickstarter: Foxtail

I remember seeing this before somewhere, it's pretty as a picture...

...watch the pitch, the graphics are great and the mood they create is really something else, although there isn't any actual gameplay or info in it.

200 hundred locations. No, you read that right: TWO HUNDRED locations. I guess pixel art sure saves you a lot of location painting time...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

finally, this thread can have a discussion about pixel art and furries at the same time

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It's pretty.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's pretty; not the kind of pixel art I hate. But I don't care much for playing a game about some furry's original character do not steal

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mr Underhill posted:

Hope this doesn't raise the pixel art discussion from the grave, but yet ANOTHER point 'n click hit Kickstarter: Foxtail

It looks nice... but no information was conveyed about the game or story. The main character is Leah, it's a point-and-click adventure game and there are 200 locations. Great! Can you maybe try to convey some actual information? Thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would be less uncomfortable with the furry lady if she wasn't wearing hot pants.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I would be less uncomfortable with the furry lady if she wasn't wearing hot pants.

Don't forget being referred to as "beautiful" and "lovely" and them claiming that we will fall in love with her. The bolding there being theirs.

Oh and the comments say there's also an Indiegogo campaign for this running at the same time? That combined with the complete lack of gameplay or even a gameplay mockup gif smells suspicious to me. EDIT: Oh wait right, there's a video, I don't normally watch those unless the rest of the pitch has caught my interest. I guess at least she's been seen walking then.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've read through the author's blog/social media and I'm pretty sure it's not a scam.

I was the one who asked about Indiegogo. It does make some sense for them - they started on IGG, it stalled at peanuts money as every IGG project stalls, but it's flexible funding so they can keep that going for the people who don't want to use Kickstarter. Still, they do need to at least address this, I feel.

Also, they need an update about the specifics of the story. Looking charitably at it, writing a story and pitching it are two different skills and writers usually hatehateHATE blurbing their own works. From what I can tell, the story is about her going to visit her grandma who lives in a magical Ghibliesque forest and then gets entangled when things get complicated.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 31, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Please don't foxkinkshame.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Welp, they're not going to make it. It's a shame. The artist/designer guy seems quite talented.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
General story pitch and demo are almost requirements nowadays, someone should've advised them - especially when you obviously have a lot of work put into it already. Maybe no programmers yet?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

To be fair if I was going to do a kickstarter scam it would totally be a furry pixel art game with a bunch of gifs

With a 10000 stretch goal to put a oc in the game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In more "lol inafune" news, Mighty No. 9 has likely been delayed to next year, judging by a placeholder release date change for the retail version in Gamestop's systems...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda weird that the core gameplay is the one thing they decided not to be conservative about but it doesn't bother me too much.

Red Ash update: they finally decided to disclose the new purpose of the kickstarter and the ratio of Fuze-funded content to "stretch goals" - in a nutshell, Fuze is paying for the full prologue (as opposed to the full game...) as well as Japanese VA and some other unannounced stuff, and the "stretch goals" are little additions like a challenge dungeon or a new character. None of the "stretch goals" will be funded and completely changing the thrust of your campaign 5 days before the end is lunacy but I'm glad they finally worked out how to write a non-ambiguous update, if nothing else.

Seriously, can anyone think of another "should have been a slamdunk but wasn't" campaign that's gone as badly as Red Ash?
Presumably in response to that news, the Red Ash daily funding sunk to new lows:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Kins posted:

In more "lol inafune" news, Mighty No. 9 has likely been delayed to next year, judging by a placeholder release date change for the retail version in Gamestop's systems...
Maybe they can fix the game now

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

DrManiac posted:

To be fair if I was going to do a kickstarter scam it would totally be a furry pixel art game with a bunch of gifs

With a 10000 stretch goal to put a oc in the game

So the MDE pony thing?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Hat Thoughts posted:

So the MDE pony thing?

I wonder what would have happened if it had been funded. In the campaign's description, they said any of the content could change at any time during development. So they could have farted out a joke game - a dating sim where you're a brony who gets friendzoned, with options for suicide and failed rape - and make it clear that what they did was perfectly legal. I wonder what the result of that would have been.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 1, 2015

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder what would have happened if it had been funded. In the campaign's description, they said any of the content could change at any time during development. So they quickly fart out a joke game - a dating sim where you're a brony who gets friendzoned, with options for suicide and failed rape - and make it clear that what they did was perfectly legal. I wonder what the result of that would have been.

If someone's mad enough to sue that sounds like a clause that gets laughed out of court.

Bad faith is a great way to get the book thrown at you.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair, Snarfquest did just have its' 30th anniversary and Elmore just released a followup graphic novel, both on Kickstarter. So it's not like this is a shot in the dark trying to find backers, but it probably isn't going to (and isn't meant to) reach a huge swath of new fans. However based on the email Elmore send out to his previous backers, this campaign is supposed to start at GenCon and end at DragonCon, so I'm guessing they're going to try build some awareness among the neckbeardy trad gamers there.

In addition to the add-ons, the higher tiers themselves are laid out really weirdly. I think this is the first time I've seen a Kickstarter set up so that the top tiers don't include all of the lower tiers as well.

Oh! That would explain, I hadn't heard about that. My D&D career pretty much began with the old Red Box and Larry Elmore's art, and I still have a soft spot for him. I definitely wish him well if he's trying to reach new audiences. That makes a lot more sense than a random nostalgia flash.

The lead dev seems to have a good pedigree, even if the pledge drive feels weird in spots, so here's hoping it works out for everyone involved.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I've seen it a few times in traditional games kickstarters, but mostly for stuff like miniatures where the tiers are basically for separate products or specific armies or whatever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder what would have happened if it had been funded. In the campaign's description, they said any of the content could change at any time during development. So they could have farted out a joke game - a dating sim where you're a brony who gets friendzoned, with options for suicide and failed rape - and make it clear that what they did was perfectly legal. I wonder what the result of that would have been.

Yeah they always insisted it would've been a real thing if it got funded but there's no way it would've been a straight visual novel.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Kins posted:

That's fine. If it needs that time to get good, let it stew for a bit. Or release stuff like the challenge modes later on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Asimo posted:

I've seen it a few times in traditional games kickstarters, but mostly for stuff like miniatures where the tiers are basically for separate products or specific armies or whatever.

Well, I can understand why say the "Executive Producer" tier doesn't include the "Original Box Artwork" tier, since there's only one piece of artwork, but why doesn't it include your name in the game, your picture in the game, or a npc made out of your image?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I knew this was coming in April when they announced Deep Silver was publishing the retail copy. Broken Age was delayed several months for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

The Kins posted:

It was mentioned in another thread but apparently this is just an error and the game actually isn't going to be delayed.

http://www.vgstations.com/en/news/item/4359-might-no-9-not-delayed-still-on-track-for-next-month.html