Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Fintilgin posted:

I guess some people might think that. I suppose they can't win.

To me it seems almost unprofessional (too strong a word really) to be asking for potentially millions of dollars and not have your campaign all planned out, art prepped, and ready to roll on demand as needed. It feels like they're just winging it.

It's not a big thing though, just sort of amusing/exasperating. :shobon:

They have planned it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

GRIP kickstarter got canceled because ??? and now they're doing flexible funding with early access?

I'm gonna buy it but this is weird.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Great Joe posted:

GRIP kickstarter got canceled because ??? and now they're doing flexible funding with early access?

I'm gonna buy it but this is weird.

Sadly, it was pretty blantantly obvious that they were going to miss their Kickstarter goal by quite a wide margin, so they're hoping to pull a Wreckfest and fund the game out of inital Early Access sales. Hopefully they don't follow Wreckfest in immediately getting stuck in development hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KoB posted:

People support good games???

they support bad ones too though. they also support games which show no promise besides a name with the highest funding the site has ever seen (more than once).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

In Indiegogo news, a rare finished game project has been spotted in the wild; Fran Bow is out after a couple years of development.

It's a point and click horror type game, which is very much my jam. It's got a really striking and unique art style. It was made by two people who never did games before, and it's kind of impressive they were supposedly able to work on it full time for about 2 years with only $28k USD. They live somewhere in the wilds of Sweden.

Oh god, this is the most unfortunate design for their protagonist.

Wendell posted:

A shack in Sweden seems like the perfect place to make a weird horror game, so this must be good.

This was probably the development environment for Year Walk and that worked out well.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Pavlov posted:

Wow I totally forgot OMORI got $200,000 for an RPGmaker game.

Last update on their site was in May.

I'm going to bring up Omori again because I just checked and literally one day after I posted this they posted an update. I guess they're not giving up at lease. :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I woulda had that game done in about a month if you gave me that much money and JPRGs are trash i hate

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So the Divinity II kickstarter had a bunch of $25 early bird rewards that sold out in a heartbeat. I signed up for the $30 tier, and having checked it today I see there's a $26 tier that's the same as the $25 one. I switched my pledge; I figure every offer they come out with is going to be 100% subscribed anyway, they don't need my extra $4!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Delusibeta posted:

Hopefully they don't follow WreckfestSpacebase DF-9 in immediately getting stuck in development hell.

Seriously isn't this basically what Doublefine did? Not to stir the poo poo again and get another ten pages of Doublefine talk, but selling early access and hoping to fund it entirely through that seems really dangerous. I can't imagine they'll somehow sell 500k dollars worth of early access to make up the difference in what they didn't get in the Kickstarter. If people wanted it they would have backed it already, so where are all these customers going to come from?

It seems like a move out of desperation and panic more than anything. Probably would have been better to get feedback, retune/rework features, make the game better, and just relaunch it on Kickstarter later or try and find a publisher.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

A lot of people dont check KS or keep up with news from it, yet a lot of people use steam. I guess they are hoping it will get more exposure there and get it funded.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Right in the childhood! Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs 3Ds and PC

Now I'll be singing this all week.

Not much about the game itself, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That game has been in development hell since the launch of the 3DS and I'm pretty sure this is the third or so iteration of the project. They don't even have Manfred Trenz on board anymore and that was the only selling point they had. Don't give them your money.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 28, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That game has been in development hell since the launch of the 3DS and I'm pretty sure this is the third or so iteration of the project. They don't even have Manford Trenz on board anymore and that was the only selling point they had. Don't give them your money.

Especially considering they're talking about an SNES and TG16 version of the game which, uh, definitely aren't compatible hardware and would require two separately developed games.

Also it's not reassuring when your "gameplay" is 2 seconds superimposed on a 3D rendering of a 3DS.

And they should probably clean up their youtube page. Is this the game they're making? I don't know, no gameplay is shown on the Kickstarter page.

Man, I can't remember the last KS that tried to appeal to nostalgia this hard. And it's not even popular nostalgia, it's this 80s anime that existed in the shadow of Voltron.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Welp, had no idea. I just really loved those cartoons when I was a kid. Should have known by that lowest of all low efforts pitch video.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

That

quote:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 aims to change the way we work with narrative in RPGs. We’ve invested heavily in our writing team, hiring new writers with extensive experience in everything from screenwriting and narrative design to role-playing and table-top RPGs.

is great news.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Well, I understand that -- I backed Torment: Numenera after all -- but in this particular instance, where they're pointing at the EE as a lot of work that goes towards making the sequel better, it just feels odd not to be able to evaluate those changes.

It's probably two different areas of expertise needed. Finishing the EE sounds like a more technical task; balancing combat, fixing bugs, ensuring scripts trigger correctly. The DOS2 work sound more like pre-production: writing the plot, scetching out companions, designing the feel and tone of areas. Not the same people doing those jobs, and it makes sense to launch the KS somewhat early in the process, so they know how much of it they will be able to do, and make sure the extra bits meshes with the "base" game they had in mind.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Delusibeta posted:

Sadly, it was pretty blantantly obvious that they were going to miss their Kickstarter goal by quite a wide margin, so they're hoping to pull a Wreckfest and fund the game out of inital Early Access sales. Hopefully they don't follow Wreckfest in immediately getting stuck in development hell.

Yeah, it's a bummer but a little predictable. Calling Rollcage a sleeper hit seems generous, and AFAIK most people aren't real familiar with it. It definitely feels like the kind of concept that could really use a demo to sell people on it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
DOS2's new stretch goals don't look too bad, though I'm not sure how I feel about this:

quote:

$850,000 Stretch Goal: Pick a Skill Tree, I

Divinity: Original Sin is rife with spectacular skills, and besides the many new ones we've already planned for Original Sin 2, we want to add even more unique skills to the repertoire. We have quite a list and will let our the backers pick a brand new skill tree, featuring at least 16 skills each, from among a host of new proposals when the campaign ends.

At least they're the ones providing the skill tree options, which is something, I guess.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

850k is already funded.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Comcept realized how their weird delay for Mighty No. 9 made them look, and are releasing a one-month "Trial Ver." beta to all backers on their original September 15th release date. It will contain the completed versions of four stages, six challenge stages, and a bunch of crap nobody cares about like cutscenes and voice acting.

Everyone who backed will also be getting a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt's Steam port, so at least something good will come of this.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Isn't there an Inafune livestream today?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really don't get why people think MN9 is going to be bad; Inti Creates are great, and everything shown so far about it looks pretty good. :shrug:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

HGH posted:

Isn't there an Inafune livestream today?

Yes, should start soon:
http://www.twitch.tv/pax2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really don't get why people think MN9 is going to be bad; Inti Creates are great, and everything shown so far about it looks pretty good. :shrug:

you're why terrible kickstarters get 5 million.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't think it looks outright bad, but it looks boring and soulless and misguided and I have no particular interest in playing it ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GhostBoy posted:

It's probably two different areas of expertise needed. Finishing the EE sounds like a more technical task; balancing combat, fixing bugs, ensuring scripts trigger correctly. The DOS2 work sound more like pre-production: writing the plot, scetching out companions, designing the feel and tone of areas. Not the same people doing those jobs, and it makes sense to launch the KS somewhat early in the process, so they know how much of it they will be able to do, and make sure the extra bits meshes with the "base" game they had in mind.

I think it's also a case of the Extended Edition coming to consoles and there's probably some deal in place to maintain parity. The game is probably done, ready to be pushed out, but they're twiddling their thumbs until the worldwide launch so why not get a head start on the next big thing knowing you have an established audience already.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't really get it either. It looks like Mega Man Powered up which I enjoyed. Voice acting and cutscenes take it or leave it, if they can be skipped and don't interrupt gameplay it's no big deal. The constant dashing is weird but mechanically I can't separate it from the slide in Mega Man so, whatever.

I'm not excited by it or anything but if it had any other name attached to it or less drama surrounding pre-release it wouldn't be anywhere near as demonized.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

The Kins posted:

Everyone who backed will also be getting a free copy of Mighty Gunvolt's Steam port, so at least something good will come of this.

Mighty Gunvolt is very bad, so no, nothing good has come of this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

I don't really get it either. It looks like Mega Man Powered up which I enjoyed.
MMPU was amazing and underrated, but it's almost a decade old and was released on the PSP. It's not exactly whining to think that a modern HD game should have slightly higher standards than that.

With that said I personally thing the graphics are alright? Not the best but it fits the game well. The bigger issues are how bland and boring the gameplay looks in what's been shown so far. The levels are horrible.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fig update: The first project still hasn't reached its goal.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a space game trying to crowdfund itself in the era of Star Citizen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Fig update: The first project still hasn't reached its goal.

It's so dumb in every way. For starters, Fig is a horrible loving name, I just spent like a minute trying to get to the site directly from Google and could only find news stories linking to it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Especially considering they're talking about an SNES and TG16 version of the game which, uh, definitely aren't compatible hardware and would require two separately developed games.

Also it's not reassuring when your "gameplay" is 2 seconds superimposed on a 3D rendering of a 3DS.

And they should probably clean up their youtube page. Is this the game they're making? I don't know, no gameplay is shown on the Kickstarter page.

Man, I can't remember the last KS that tried to appeal to nostalgia this hard. And it's not even popular nostalgia, it's this 80s anime that existed in the shadow of Voltron.

And yet the Mysterious Cities of Gold game got funded and translated into several languages, however, that show was still going around the time of its funding and release. There could be a remote chance it gets the basic funds for the title down, but Saberrider seems to have been through too much trouble already before the KS even began that I'm not quite sure if even nostalgia can save it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hakkesshu posted:

It's so dumb in every way. For starters, Fig is a horrible loving name, I just spent like a minute trying to get to the site directly from Google and could only find news stories linking to it.

I'd say the game itself (Outer Wilds) is stupid as poo poo too. It seems like a losing Awful Jams competition entry that had a Wacky Space Adventure theme.

Also it boasts that the alpha has been "downloaded nearly 90,000 times", yet there are only 548 supporters. Guess it didn't make that big of an impression on the other 89,452 players. :smug:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like figs, I like video games, it's the perfect combo

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Apparently from some PAX doings, Pillars of Eternity isn't primed for any further Expansions after they get done with Part 2---but they have strong seeming aims/plans for a fully wrought sequel. I suppose that may well be their own attempt at Fig instead of KS in the not horribly distant future then?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Did the Outer Wilds Fig page drop the mention of how much outsider funding it has? Last time I checked it said it had $50K with $500K of expressed interested, but I can't find that there today.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Apparently from some PAX doings, Pillars of Eternity isn't primed for any further Expansions after they get done with Part 2---but they have strong seeming aims/plans for a fully wrought sequel. I suppose that may well be their own attempt at Fig instead of KS in the not horribly distant future then?

Didn't they also say they were done crowdfunding stuff? I swear that came out recently.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Didn't they also say they were done crowdfunding stuff? I swear that came out recently.

The opposite, they're co-founders of a new crowdfunding site which they intend to use for future crowdfund titles

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hakkesshu posted:

You might be thinking of Larian that said they were probably not going to do another kickstarter, but they changed their mind anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The modern crowdfunding framework is essentially to retain the publisher, retain the investors, and simply sell pre-orders to people before work has even started on the game. Why would anyone abandon that?