Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if fig can't get its first and only project ever crowdfunded it's dead in the loving water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

It's so dumb in every way. For starters, Fig is a horrible loving name, I just spent like a minute trying to get to the site directly from Google and could only find news stories linking to it.

And adding to that horrible name, it isn't even a .com domain!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Prop Wash posted:

The modern crowdfunding framework is essentially to retain the publisher, retain the investors, and simply sell pre-orders to people before work has even started on the game. Why would anyone abandon that?
Because spergs get mad about it, presumably. Better a project live or die solely by a publisher's forecast on ROI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The opposite, they're co-founders of a new crowdfunding site which they intend to use for future crowdfund titles

The CEO isn't the company. Have they actually said that's going to happen? Much as is the case every other person on the board, there's no guarantee they'll actually be doing projects themselves, especially since it's probably going to be a failure as a service.

I thought I read on RPS that they weren't going to crowdfund an eventual sequel to PoE, maybe related to their PAX panel, but now I can't find it so oh well

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

The CEO isn't the company.

for all intents and purposes he basically is, especially if that company isn't publicly owned

quote:

Have they actually said that's going to happen?l

yes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hakkesshu posted:

The CEO isn't the company. Have they actually said that's going to happen?
Fargous (Fargo and Feargus) have both stated that their next games will be Fig-funded.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The plan was for the founders to use the site, but if it all goes tits up I'm sure they'll keep using Kickstarter. There's a reason the launch project wasn't one of theirs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Fargous (Fargo and Feargus) have both stated that their next games will be Fig-funded.

Well okay I guess I missed that memo! Never mind, then.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Modus Pwnens posted:

The plan was for the founders to use the site, but if it all goes tits up I'm sure they'll keep using Kickstarter. There's a reason the launch project wasn't one of theirs.

Neither of those two are Fig founders, as far as I know. They're only on an advisory panel that helps pick projects.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Great Rumbler posted:

Neither of those two are Fig founders, as far as I know. They're only on an advisory panel that helps pick projects.

The only founder is Justin Bailey. Everybody else involved (i.e. the Obsidian guy, the inXile guy, the DoubleFine guy, and the IndieFund guy are basically only involved to evaluate games and decide what gets looked at, including their own projects).

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Tower 57 has just been funded. There's a stretch goal for modding tools at $51k euros, which could be cool, but it's proceeded by a stretch goal for an Amiga port which is pretty meh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EricFate posted:

The only founder is Justin Bailey.

There are at least two founders, Bailey and Ippolito.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Crabtree posted:

And yet the Mysterious Cities of Gold game got funded and translated into several languages, however, that show was still going around the time of its funding and release. There could be a remote chance it gets the basic funds for the title down, but Saberrider seems to have been through too much trouble already before the KS even began that I'm not quite sure if even nostalgia can save it.

These devs have been trying to make this game since the GBA era and this isn't the first time they've turned to crowdfunding to make it - they raised over 10k EUR several years ago and I think they even got a government grant but pissed it all away on nothing.

I don't think they're counting on the nostalgia for this C-tier 80s cartoon to scam people, it's more that they're so in love with this cartoon that they're wasting their lives (and other peoples' money) trying to turn it into a game even though they're not the least bit competent.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Subjunctive posted:

There are at least two founders, Bailey and Ippolito.

Sure enough. Did they not put him in the press release or is he deliberately avoiding the press on this one? Until I took his name to google and found his twitter account, I had no clue who he was or where he came from.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

These devs have been trying to make this game since the GBA era and this isn't the first time they've turned to crowdfunding to make it - they raised over 10k EUR several years ago and I think they even got a government grant but pissed it all away on nothing.

I don't think they're counting on the nostalgia for this C-tier 80s cartoon to scam people, it's more that they're so in love with this cartoon that they're wasting their lives (and other peoples' money) trying to turn it into a game even though they're not the least bit competent.

C-tier??

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The opposite, they're co-founders of a new crowdfunding site which they intend to use for future crowdfund titles

I sincerely hope that works. Are they allowed to advertise their fig funding on their kickstarter update pages? That's about the only way I see them transferring most of their backers over.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It clearly has a bigger pull in Europe than elsewhere but it's no Robotech or Gigantor or whatever (or even a Bismarck). It reminds me of the guy who was pushing for a Boogerman revival - yeah, it wasn't terrible and a lot of people remember it but how many people actually want a new one?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 31, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah I thought he was being generous too.

I loved that show as a kid, but it's not even a little bit famous anywhere that matters

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Stasis launches tomorrow on Steam and GOG, and it looks like Steam keys have been mailed out to KS backers.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Distance has the best loving booth at PAX. It's like a tiny rave.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

gtrmp posted:

Stasis launches tomorrow on Steam and GOG, and it looks like Steam keys have been mailed out to KS backers.

Really looking forward to playing this [when I'm not swamped with other games].

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Tsioque is 5 days away from the deadline with 29k out of 35 needed. 865 backers amounted to 29k - seems like a hell of a lot of backers to me, and maybe selling the game too cheap at 8 dollars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

evilmiera posted:

Are they allowed to advertise their fig funding on their kickstarter update pages?

hopefully not

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

hopefully not

I've already seen a few updates mention Outer Wilds and give a link.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Megazver posted:

I've already seen a few updates mention Outer Wilds and give a link.

Well, That's Cool

hopefully kickstarter shuts down this poo poo the same way they shut down that dumbass kick it forward bullshit

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Toxxupation posted:

Well, That's Cool

hopefully kickstarter shuts down this poo poo the same way they shut down that dumbass kick it forward bullshit

I'd forgotten all about that, out of curiosity what did Kickstarter do about the kick it forward business?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GaistHeidegger posted:

I'd forgotten all about that, out of curiosity what did Kickstarter do about the kick it forward business?

they shut it down because it was the worst idea ever and brian fargo's transparently obvious and disingenuous attempt to promote his bullshit more behind the auspices of "community support", since he's basically a huckster

also it was hilarious because the kick it forward initiative in both its name and logo design looked like an Official Kickstarter Thing but fargo didn't let ANYONE at ks hq know about it before he announced it, good stuff

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You need to relax...

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

GaistHeidegger posted:

They just told people making kickstarters they're not allowed to promote it on kickstarter anymore, but it's still going http://kickingitforward.org/

edit: wait, some kickstarters are still mentioning kickingitforward, kickstarter has only said they'll do something

Blister fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 31, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It is a good idea imo

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Hat Thoughts posted:

You need to relax...

No, you don't understand, Brian Fargo is literally THE WORST PERSON EVER for wanting successful crowd-funding projects to put a little money back into the crowd-funding ecosystem because he is a huckster scam artist.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Great Rumbler posted:

put a little money back into the crowd-funding ecosystem

The crowd-funding ecosystem is the crowd. Paying money 'back into it' sounds like lobbying from inside.

'Fig' kinda confirms it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Hat Thoughts posted:

It is a good idea imo

It led to polygon, rps, et. al. going "hey, kickstarter gaming project X isn't kicking it forward, so go harass them and demand to know why", which is exactly what everyone predicted would happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EricFate posted:

Sure enough. Did they not put him in the press release or is he deliberately avoiding the press on this one? Until I took his name to google and found his twitter account, I had no clue who he was or where he came from.

I don't remember the press release, but I don't think he's interested in doing the press circuit. He founded MochiMedia and ran it with Jameson through their acquisition by I-forget-who, then was at a couple places including Facebook for a bit. Founded the Mission Bit stuff, and I think is a great fit for what Fig needs to do technically.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

DoctorTristan posted:

It led to polygon, rps, et. al. going "hey, kickstarter gaming project X isn't kicking it forward, so go harass them and demand to know why", which is exactly what everyone predicted would happen.

Do you have links that show examples of this?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

they shut it down because it was the worst idea ever and brian fargo's transparently obvious and disingenuous attempt to promote his bullshit more behind the auspices of "community support", since he's basically a huckster

also it was hilarious because the kick it forward initiative in both its name and logo design looked like an Official Kickstarter Thing but fargo didn't let ANYONE at ks hq know about it before he announced it, good stuff

It's kind of weird that you used your own made up reason for Kickstarter telling them not to use it any more then added the actual reason afterwards as if it was some kind of minor thing.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Oasx posted:

Do you have links that show examples of this?

Searching polygon's site is a pain, but from rps barely days after Fargo announced it:

"And you can also note that almost all of them aren’t pledging to Kick It Forward, which completely sucks, so you should get in touch with them all and yell at them."

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 31, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

I don't care, I still think it's a good idea.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I kinda want the whole thing to crash and burn, mainly because I think it'd be funny if Interplay 2's strategy of making the exact same games as its predecessor ends up the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Stasis getting major praise on Rock Paper Shotgun! Kind of unbelievable The Brotherhood consists of pretty much two brothers. I really hope it sells, too.

Also, fantasy tactical rpg from King Art called The Dwarves just launched.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 1, 2015