Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i got the most respect for programmers because goddamn is that some dull work to make these games go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Thank you.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Eh, programming has its own merits. Although, it does suck to spend so much time writing scripts for your own game only for it to look like poo poo because the only artistic thing you know is slapping MSPaint textures on Unity prefabs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the other side you have artists who create these amazing animated mock ups of games-that-could-be but programming is a solid brick wall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

On the other side you have artists who create these amazing animated mock ups of games-that-could-be but programming is a solid brick wall.

There are no brick walls, just artists unwilling to work outside their areas of expertise :colbert:

Like, programmers who can't draw or write or compose, yeah I sympathize with you, there's only so much you can learn about a subject before you need more than just an education on it. I can't compose, I'm in a place where I know the principles of music but I just don't have any talent for it whatsoever beyond listening and playing. Subjective fields are weird. At least programming is, in its most basic form, purely objective logic and math, and anyone who is sufficiently determined can eventually grind it out.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 5, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sure, you can grind it out but will you be as efficient and organized as someone who can really think critically like its second nature? Art is a skill like programming but sure, you can narrow down 1s and 0s more than why your art or music isn't appealing.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I dont think it takes more than 10-12 years of being alive to figure out whether you can cover both sides of the spectrum. I've know a lot of artistically talented people, maybe 5% could have pulled off game programming if they put their mind to it, and I have a lot of admiration for them. Also, most of them eventually become architects. I don't think I could if my life depended on it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The White Dragon posted:

There are no brick walls, just artists unwilling to work outside their areas of expertise :colbert:

Like, programmers who can't draw or write or compose, yeah I sympathize with you, there's only so much you can learn about a subject before you need more than just an education on it. I can't compose, I'm in a place where I know the principles of music but I just don't have any talent for it whatsoever beyond listening and playing. Subjective fields are weird. At least programming is, in its most basic form, purely objective logic and math, and anyone who is sufficiently determined can eventually grind it out.

I would say this is only true for a solo project, where it's kind of okay being the bottleneck on programming, if for works it works even if it is a duct tape and hope affair.

Once you're talking about providing a platform for taking multiple artists'/designers' content and game logic to make it real, you need proper systems thinking and the art is in taking your specifications and working it down to a logical system. THAT'S the difference an experienced development team brings to the table, turning the swirling ether of ideas and decisions into a solid working system is challenging and requires a clear knack for turning the vague into the concrete. It's very difficult to fake that, and messing it up can result in deeply structural issues that are expensive to fix.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At least you can create a demo with 100% placeholder art. You can't create a demo with 100% placeholder code. (Though a kickstarter entirely made out of concept art is infinitely more likely to get funded than a kickstarter with a playable demo with lovely temporary art)

When it comes to which is most expensive and time consuming, art vs code - it's a bit like comparing apples and cars. Coding a game is a lot of work, but the amount of work is roughly the same independent of the size of the game world. Art scales more linearly - as the world size increases, so does the budget for content creation. For a lot of indies that are small in scope, programming costs will outweigh art costs, but for larger games, content creation dominates the budget.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only reason i could never make a vidya game is because programming is tedious and boring and hats off to all of you that grind that poo poo out day in day out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
We only hate ourselves a little bit!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yodzilla posted:

After drinking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I took a Pascal class in high school and Perl in college and that was enough to teach me I'm terrible at programming and went into other aspects of IT instead.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Everyone should play Fran Bow. That is all.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I would think with tools like Game Maker there would be less cases of artists + idea guys unwilling to actually make the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Don't worry, you're making games so your audience inherently hates you even more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lord Lambeth posted:

I would think with tools like Game Maker there would be less cases of artists + idea guys unwilling to actually make the game.

even UE4 and Unity are pretty decent for us lazy asses that can't program worth poo poo.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's a lot easier to think you have the great ideas if you never try to implement them.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

That would mean coming out of their comfort zone of talking about their giant woman fighting game.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not everyone can be Josh Tejada.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

Even with those tools shouldering so much of the load there's still a whole lot of stuff you have to do before you can see your big ideas on the screen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe "designer" should be deleted from all companies in the future and replaced with "design and implementation" to avoid this confusion. :spergin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

I took a Pascal class in high school and Perl in college and that was enough to teach me I'm terrible at programming and went into other aspects of IT instead.

Back in high school I learned basic programming, which means I know my way around various loops and syntax and how to do a bubblesort. Unfortunately I hang out around actual coders, to whom "basic programming" means something much more complex. Nothing like gaining a little bit of knowledge to make you feel stupid.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Oh lord, that Eco kickstarter I talked about before has been a bit of a bumpy ride.

quote:

In Eco, there are no monsters, it is humanity itself that is its own enemy. Throughout the campaign, backers have asked 'what about the trolls', as any online game is sure to attract them. The answer is that in Eco, they will serve a gameplay purpose; they are the villains of the game, the source of conflict that players supporting society must collaborate against, using government, laws and the criminal justice system. This tier gives those working against society additional tremendous power, and a new world threat that players must plan for.

To deflect the meteor, players must research and discover technology up to rockets and nuclear bombs, in order to generate enough force to push it out of a collapsing orbit. However, this technology is extremely dangerous, and if it falls into the hands of a nefarious individual, the world could be destroyed at the hand of a single player. Players who have backed the game at the 'Destroyer of Worlds' Tier will be able to do just that.

Once nuclear power is discovered, a special technology will be unlocked for a Doomsday Device, and only backers at the Destroyer of Worlds tier will be able to research it. Once researched, they can craft a device that, when completed, can be activated to destroy the world, before the meteor impact occurs. During this process of research and manufacturing, the server will be alerted that it is occurring, and players can develop alternate technology to halt it and prevent it (akin to developing technology to stop the meteor). Once in possession of a Doomsday Device, a player need only press a button to activate it (which can be rigged to a dead-man's switch), making it the ultimate bargaining chip.

Emphasis mine. They're setting up a new tier in the KS with 2 days left to try and get the worst griefers to chip in enough money to get to the next stretch goal, while giving them exclusive abilities to destroy servers. I don't know whether to giggle or sigh.

e: That said, it is disable-able on private servers, and the public servers are sure to be filled with crap anyway, so.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Red Mike posted:

Emphasis mine. They're setting up a new tier in the KS with 2 days left to try and get the worst griefers to chip in enough money to get to the next stretch goal, while giving them exclusive abilities to destroy servers. I don't know whether to giggle or sigh.

Yeah seems like a real desperation move, which I don't quite understand because it reached it's goal already. :confused:

Surely they could work on the similar upgrades after the game goes gold and starts making some income? It's not an all or nothing approach, is it? This seems like something a company would pull if they still had a few thousand to go, not at nearly 200% funded.

Also it is limited to only 50, which I suppose helps if the player base will be in the thousands.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Eco sounded like it might have been an interesting game if they managed to balance it just right. Choosing to hard bake griefing into the game at this early stage is a pretty good sign it isn't going to get to that point.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have they started implementing any of this? When I saw them at pax they had a decent pitch but gameplay wise it just looked like any other half built voxel engine. It was kinda funny hearing their big plans on ecology and full eco system modeling while watching a couple animal models awkwardly pathfind around a fairly empty block world.

I dig the idea of all this high school model UN crammed into Minecraft but I just see most of it actually working out poorly and having to be cut. Not sure how well that's gonna go if they have backer rewards tied into these big idea features.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
tiny & Tall: Gleipnir is a rather pretty point-and-clicker about two blacksmiths tasked to forge an unbreakable link to hold Fenrir. It's asking for 8k.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

tiny & Tall: Gleipnir is a rather pretty point-and-clicker about two blacksmiths tasked to forge an unbreakable link to hold Fenrir. It's asking for 8k.

Yes! Discovered them on twitter of all places. Art is good looking, ask is (too) low. I'm really digging the atmospheric backgrounds, animation could use a little more work, but hey it's a one man project.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Megazver posted:

I wonder what's with all the french point'n'clicks lately. Really digging the style though, will probably throw some money their way.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
France is the new Germany of adventure games.
A little off-topic, reminded me of the Coral Cave, looked up to see if they have anything new on youtube and I realized this gameplay video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MX2UowmwSE is exactly two years old. Hand painting and animating an adventure game is crazy time-consuming, mes amis.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Point and clicks have a decent following in France.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Point and clicks have a decent following in France.

Some people never got the memo that PC gaming has gone beyond the point and click adventure.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Some people never got the memo that PC gaming has gone beyond the point and click adventure.

point and click adventure is the apex of pc gaming, along with isometric rpg.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

point and click adventure is the apex of pc gaming, along with isometric rpg.

Most isometric RPGs would be improved if they went full adventure and just dumped the D20 combat, who wants to play planescape torment, Im in it to read it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Most isometric RPGs would be improved if they went full adventure and just dumped the D20 combat, who wants to play planescape torment, Im in it to read it.

I wouldn't say most but planescape as a sandbox visual novel would definitely work, yeah.

Keep an eye on Wadjet Eye Games' next title. Dave Gilbert is working on a sandbox urban fantasy adventure game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I'd say the same thing about adventure games and puzzles. The "walking simulators" go a little too far, there should be some interactivity, but when I take a shower in the morning I don't have to turn on my boiler using a wrench shaped monkey I lured into my house with a banana I picked up yesterday in a shopping cart that was guarded by a violent child who was easily distracted by the lollipop I picked up from the doctor who I couldn't visit until I caught the flu from the very child I was trying to distract.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I'd say the same thing about adventure games and puzzles. The "walking simulators" go a little too far, there should be some interactivity, but when I take a shower in the morning I don't have to turn on my boiler using a wrench shaped monkey I lured into my house with a banana I picked up yesterday in a shopping cart that was guarded by a violent child who was easily distracted by the lollipop I picked up from the doctor who I couldn't visit until I caught the flu from the very child I was trying to distract.

Your shower doesn't involve a fake cat hair moustache so I think your puzzle is too easy for advanced adventure gamers like myself.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

al-azad posted:

To be fair, those kinda of adventure games were the reason the genre died. My impression is that modern adventure games have learned that lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oasx posted:

To be fair, those kinda of adventure games were the reason the genre died. My impression is that modern adventure games have learned that lesson.

I'd say the only thing different now is that you can't die or get stuck. And what's frustrating is that the core adventure game audience still loves this stuff. Like Broken Age part 1 was pretty good, a little basic but a nice start. Then all the backers complained about it being too easy so Part 2 came out to remind everyone why adventure games fell out of mainstream.