Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Well I can understand it, Pathologic HD will actually be decipherable now while the remake will probably have improved gameplay changes that really sets it apart from the original. Plus the remake is pretty much going to have the same English script I assume, so why not make the most of it?

Yeah, the main effort here seems to have been the new localisation, which is obviously necessary for the remake. They've said that they've basically bugfixed the original and let it work on modern systems. From what they said regarding the new features the improved graphics are from basically new effects and filtering available to modern computers, the ability to do things like up the draw distance, and better texture resolution - and often game developers will originally have had better textures that they then downscaled to hit their performance target, so they might well have just pulled those out of the archives. The models themselves are stated to remain the same.

This is basically Myst Masterpiece as opposed to RealMyst.

Also, apparently, Ice Pick Lodge didn't do a great deal of the work. They provided the translation, General Arcade gave it a visual uplift and engine overhaul, and Gambitious handled the publishing.

EDIT:

original:

remaster:

Not a dramatic texture quality boost at all. They might've just given them a good filter and spruced up some of the more awful ones. The real improvement seems to be from decent antialiasing and fullscreen colour grading. Both simple enough to implement with modern system calls.

As for the quality of the actual remake, aside from pictures of assets:

(yes, it's deliberately designed to look like udders, this is Pathologic we're talking about)

the only real glimpse we've gotten of the full thing thus far is this:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
From what I can tell, the most dramatic change is that the remaster is browner.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How many creepy pedos are Reverge planning on hiring this time with $1.2 mil?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

From what I can tell, the most dramatic change is that the remaster is browner.

Other screenshots on steam show other more dramatic colour tints that the original game didn't have - sickly green shades in bad looking times, or healthy more realistic colours when things are clear. I think they've just hooked the weather and town health status into a full-screen colour grade effect as opposed to just the old lighting effects.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dudes, Memoranda looks rad and I really want it to be made. Could any of you, like, kidnap someone from RockPaperShotgun to write an article about it, plsktnx?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm under the impression that the pathologic remake will only barely resemble the original and contain a new script, many new features, more areas to explore, etc. Basically a brand new game within the same setting. I think it's disingenuous to call it an "HD update."

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 8, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm under the impression that the "pathologic" remake will only barely resemble the original and contain a new script, many new features, more areas to explore, etc. Basically a brand new game within the same setting. I think it's disingenuous to call it an "HD update."

It gets a little confusing when things share the same title.

Megazver posted:

Dudes, Memoranda looks rad and I really want it to be made. Could any of you, like, kidnap someone from RockPaperShotgun to write an article about it, plsktnx?

I got Mike Fahey from Kotaku by mistake, will that do?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Didn't that happen with a Serious Sam game?

Fans re-remade the First and Second Encounters and Croteam and Devolver Digital made the project official.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Hey Atarask, is there a digital only backer level? I don't live in America and I don't want stickers or a poster

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Burn the bag.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I sent RPS an email about it, definitely worth a shot. The guys at Skygoblin backed it so they'll probably help push it too. Here's to helping the Memoranda devs get the word out.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 8, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Accordion Man posted:

I sent RPS an email about it, definitely worth a shot. Here's to helping them get the word out.

Bug other sites as well - Destructoid, Polygon Kill Screen Daily, etc.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 8, 2015

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I think IPL should have just run a Kickstarter to give the original game a real translation. They would have hit their very low target really really fast.

I mean, that's all I really wanted going in, so whatever I guess it all works in the end.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I don't want to be a bummer but RPS at least specifically say chances are slim of them writing about something that isn't playable. Not that it didn't or won't ever happen, but they just have to be blown away by the graphics/video. Here's hoping their tastes match ours.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm under the impression that the pathologic remake will only barely resemble the original and contain a new script, many new features, more areas to explore, etc. Basically a brand new game within the same setting. I think it's disingenuous to call it an "HD update."

I was being slightly facetious (I'm a backer). One is an update, one is a remake. From their Kickstarter page:

quote:

So what exactly are we planning to do? We will keep the following untouched:

the atmosphere;
the setting;
the ideas that lie in the very core of the game;
the general storyline;
the characters;
the map, the general feel and the concept of the Town; it’s already an existing place for us, so we won’t change it, but rather add more detail to it.

But it's not a new game at all. They've said there'll be many differences and additions between the two versions, especially in terms of playability, but the main reason people backed this game in the first place was because it was an already cool game with an absolutely hosed translation.

I'm not complaining about it, it's just really weird, most companies would just ditch the older version.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 8, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, does he have toenails for the pliers?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr Underhill posted:

I don't want to be a bummer but RPS at least specifically say chances are slim of them writing about something that isn't playable. Not that it didn't or won't ever happen, but they just have to be blown away by the graphics/video. Here's hoping their tastes match ours.
They told me they're working on the demo and I told RPS that, so we'll see.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bring back moo2 ripoff but totally not ripping off moo somehow so please dont compare unfavourably to the moo2 we're ripping off promise because it's completely different we're doing a different take on it I promise discussion.

Mostly I just like pretending it's actually people doing their best cow impression.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

moo

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Bring back moo2 ripoff but totally not ripping off moo somehow so please dont compare unfavourably to the moo2 we're ripping off promise because it's completely different we're doing a different take on it I promise discussion.

Mostly I just like pretending it's actually people doing their best cow impression.

See also civilization beyond earth. Totally not alpha centauri but we're going to mention alpha centauri at anyway.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

See also civilization beyond earth. Totally not alpha centauri but we're going to mention alpha centauri at anyway.

And like many MOO-wannabes, that minute of nostalgia you got thinking about alpha centauri was the best part of the game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Demiurge4 posted:

It's not really comparable since the only reason they don't call it Alpha Centauri is they don't own the name anymore. And also it seems to have no intention of actually trying to be a successor to Alpha Centauri.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Didn't remember this until today, but apparently the Elysian Shadow guy's buddy cut and ran with a year's worth of money.

He's not happy about it, of course

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

So is this, like, a sad story about a good kickstarter or a funny story about a bad kickstarter? I need to know before I badmouth someone who's just tryna make game.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I dunno, I don't really follow KSes enough to form an opinion unless it's something awful like that one guy who tried to twitter war me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Reading the updates it seems like... They were a good kickstarter, and now maybe are not? The guy seems a bit unhinged and I don't get how you neglect gameplay for a year and don't notice, but poo poo happens and this seems like more of a sad story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Reading the updates it seems like... They were a good kickstarter, and now maybe are not? The guy seems a bit unhinged and I don't get how you neglect gameplay for a year and don't notice, but poo poo happens and this seems like more of a sad story.

I've read some arguments that it's a marketing ploy as the guy has a long series of really off the wall making-of videos and as you say he's a bit eccentric.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I don't know much about how Elysian Shadows went after funding, but looking at the campaign page it appears to be a pixel art game trying to sell itself with over-abuse of lighting and shadow effects, which is a huge red flag because that is (almost always) done by third party tools (and also because IMO it looks quite ugly).

edit: Also, OUYA is in the title of the kickstarter.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

I don't know much about how Elysian Shadows went after funding, but looking at the campaign page it appears to be a pixel art game trying to sell itself with over-abuse of lighting and shadow effects, which is a huge red flag because that is (almost always) done by third party tools (and also because IMO it looks quite ugly).

Yeah it's a pretty rear end-ugly game and lighting ALWAYS ALWAYS looks better with pixel art when it's drawn as part of the actual artwork. The only pixel art game that looks remotely good with light/shadow effects handled by shader poo poo is Legend of Dungeon. And this is because it plays with scenery geometry (the actual "pixel art" bits—characters, etc—aren't really all that impressive or good looking)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's not just that it was ugly. I can admire ugly games if they are trying to do something else that is impressive. It's that it is using its ugliness as a main selling point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Elysian Shadows is the Dreamcast JRPG, right? If so, it got backed because it's a Dreamcast JRPG, it's that simple. Pandering to retro console fans is like shooting fish in a barrel, they'll pay for any old garbage.

RE: pixel art with great lighting, go check out Brigador.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Anything pixelly not using spritelamp or similar stuff looks...weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

It's not really comparable since the only reason they don't call it Alpha Centauri is they don't own the name anymore. And also it seems to have no intention of actually trying to be a successor to Alpha Centauri.

it's also not like AC at all and is bad unlike AC.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh hey cool a pyramid scheme trying to take advantage of people who run Kickstarters http://www.crowdfundingbackers.com

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
star citizen's stream has started and all they have to show is a clock that hasn't updated in 10 minutes

http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Suspicious Dish posted:

star citizen's stream has started and all they have to show is a clock that hasn't updated in 10 minutes

Sounds metaphorical.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I don't know, goons, if I wasn't aware of all the shenanigans re: Star Citizen and was just watching this blind I would have to say it looks kinda cool :unsmith:.

Still not paying money for spaceships, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Just utter SJW and see them circlejerking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...Well now I feel goddamn wary.

The Aurion kickstarter has been getting a bit of a PR push the last few days, and it was nice to see it slowly push up the daily average to a point that might see it start to reach its goal... And then I look again and its suddenly spiked by about 7000 euros. None of the pledge tiers above 1000 euros have been claimed. That feels dubious as poo poo.