Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's the main reason I want Indivisible to succeed - setting up a stable network for producing new top-tier HD 2D games is difficult and time-consuming and if Lab Zero dies it'll be a long time before anyone can take their place.

Except Indivisible has that ugly 3d background thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Xrd looks fantastic but it still requires a lot of work (comparable to the amount of making a real 2D character, says ArkSys, although the amount of upfront work can be offset over time) as well as expertise that a company like Inti Creates simply doesn't have.

That's why I'm skeptical about Bloodstained - yeah, they have more money to spend across fewer platforms but they're still not adept at 3D visuals and handwaving it by saying "yea but Xrd!" doesn't really mean a whole lot coming from Inti.

Motto posted:

He probably means sprite-based 2D. Gunvolt uses sprites and it has better odds of becoming a franchise than MN9.

Well, putting aside the fact that their 2D people were busy with Gunvolt, there are lots of (younger) people who don't care for traditional pixel art and can't distinguish good pixel art from bad, so if you're making a game that you want to appeal to a contemporary audience, you go with 3D. (That ignores the fact that this was a nostalgia pitch from day one, but whatever).

I'm sure there were longer-term business reasons for doing what they did, too: if you want work from international clients you need to familiarise yourself with either UE or Unity, so they probably saw this as an opportunity to familiarise themselves with new tech. I don't know why they'd risk doing this on a crowdfunded project but whatever, it's their reputation.

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you mean in terms of people expecting 3d due to the amount raised? shovel knight is one of the biggest kickstarter success stories and it looked like an NES game.

I mean $4m simply doesn't go as far as people might expect when you're working with a traditional salaried studio and you have to account for a zillion SKUs, plus backer rewards and whatever else.

The other thing to remember about Shovel Knight is that, by their estimation, that pseudo-NES game would have cost ~$1.5m to make at a traditional salaried studio and the only reason it got made for ~350k was because they paid themselves a pittance and used the proceeds from the main game to pay for all their stretch goal content.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Small japanese dev that's never been great at 3D + relatively small budget split across 8 platforms with wildly varying specs, pretty much. They really should have gone the Shantae/Ducktales HD route of 2D characters on 3D environments, at the very least.
Yeah, Mighty No 9's got the problem that there are plenty of 2D platformers that have gone / are going through Kickstarter to release like Shantae that look gorgeous, so it's hard to see why they should be an exception.

Hopefully for them it plays decently on release. Have they been tweaking gameplay in the delay?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Bloodstained will be fine, because IGA actually gives a poo poo about making a good Metroidvania and has the experience while Inafune clearly just wanted to make a franchise in order to hock poo poo and not a good game first. Also that short early gameplay video that they showed during the campaign looked good.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I backed MN9 because at the time I thought "Awesome! Maybe they'll do a Mega Man Legends-like game one day if this gets funded!"

Ha.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Modus Pwnens posted:

Except Indivisible has that ugly 3d background thing going on.

I gave them a pass on that because it's a demo and I know they've done great backgrounds on skull girls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I backed MN9 because at the time I thought "Awesome! Maybe they'll do a Mega Man Legends-like game one day if this gets funded!"

Ha.

Hey, that actually did happen so you weren't wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I gave them a pass on that because it's a demo and I know they've done great backgrounds on skull girls.

They'll probably look better in the final game but the 3D environments are here to stay.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Those of us hoping for it to happen were expecting it sometime after the first kickstarter's game came out. And to not have an anime adaption being pitched at the same time.

:sigh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Motto posted:

He probably means sprite-based 2D. Gunvolt uses sprites and it has better odds of becoming a franchise than MN9.

Sprites are still way more expensive than simple 3D.

Groovelord Neato posted:

oh yeah i forgot about that slick 2D looking shading they do now.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

They'll probably look better in the final game but the 3D environments are here to stay.

Weren't the Skullgirls backgrounds at least partially 3d models? They're underrated imo, they're not literally 2D looking but not jarring and really atmospheric.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

ImpAtom posted:

Straight-up monkey paw bullshit. :sigh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

Weren't the Skullgirls backgrounds at least partially 3d models? They're underrated imo, they're not literally 2D looking but not jarring and really atmospheric.

Probably. IIRC the engine is 3D but is cleverly arranged to look 2D.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, there are true 3D elements that are replaced with 2D bitmaps for the lower-spec settings and the arcade port.

I don't mind 2D-on-3D all that much and it's certainly preferable to 3D-on-2D.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013
I don't know if anyone here remembers "Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines" and how CCP was supposed to make a WoD MMO, but then they bailed. Apparently a bunch of fan developers put together a kickstarter (complete with a working prototype with some gameplay shown) for a indie Vampire MMO with focus on social stuff (read backstabbing your pubbie 'friends' and hopefully being able to drain them of their blood, take all their powers and perma kill their character) and things like permadeath. I would love it if it actually made it through the gate, though I imagine people are pretty cynical about kickstarters by now.

It's here if anyone's interested in it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prelude/dogma-eternal-night/description

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't know if I'm cynical about kickstarters, but to say that I'm cynical about hobbyist developers making an MMO would be an extreme understatement. I don't trust hobby developers to make an ASCII roguelike

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cetea posted:

I don't know if anyone here remembers "Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines" and how CCP was supposed to make a WoD MMO, but then they bailed. Apparently a bunch of fan developers put together a kickstarter (complete with a working prototype with some gameplay shown) for a indie Vampire MMO with focus on social stuff (read backstabbing your pubbie 'friends' and hopefully being able to drain them of their blood, take all their powers and perma kill their character) and things like permadeath. I would love it if it actually made it through the gate, though I imagine people are pretty cynical about kickstarters by now.

Why not just wait for Paradox to do something with the license?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cetea posted:

Assuming it's not a scam by some Russians claiming to be operating out of the 100-population town of Elmore, Alabama, it's still an incredibly blatant ripoff of an established and copyrighted IP. Also nobody has ever wanted a game driven by character-focused social exchanges combined with a permadeath system except for the few thousand sociopaths still jonesing for their post-UO fix.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013
I imagine Paradox will probably just make an RPG with the licence first, as it's pretty much guaranteed that it will sell well giving it's solid fan base. While I'd definitely buy that too, I've wanted something that isn't EvE to scratch the social MMO phantom itch that I've been having after WoD got cancelled. If Paradox does decide to continue development on the WoD MMO though, I'd be a very happy person indeed! CK2 Metagame with Bloodlines like main gameplay anyone?

Still, I've looked at the updates and the existing stuff for the Dogma kickstarter though, and it looks promising, seeing as they already have fleshed out ideas and actual videos of in game footage, which is more than what Elite: Dangerous had at this stage in development, so you could say that I'm being cautiously optimistic about the project.

Prop Wash posted:

Assuming it's not a scam by some Russians claiming to be operating out of the 100-population town of Elmore, Alabama, it's still an incredibly blatant ripoff of an established and copyrighted IP. Also nobody has ever wanted a game driven by character-focused social exchanges combined with a permadeath system except for the few thousand sociopaths still jonesing for their post-UO fix.

And if it is a scam, they've certainly done a lot of work on it, considering that they have a main site that has been running ever since WoD was cancelled with dev videos on early builds and ideas. I think it's been in development for almost two years now, so I'm not worried about people taking the money and running away with it. Oh and if you read the dev blogs, you pretty much have to choose to be able to be perma-killed before you can actually be killed for good, risk/reward and all that.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 1, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Given all that's been written about the WoD MMO, continued development seems like an impossibility, more or less

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I wonder how much failed Kickstarters have poisoned the pool, and how much that poison is diluted by the hype for Kickstarters that went really well and delivered solidly. I see nothing but a lot of cynicism and doubt for nearly every project these days, and rightfully so when so many projects have failed or are delivered to the table as barely working garbage.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If anyone says they're going to make an MMO and their team has less than 100 people on it you should probably wait before throwing your money away.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Indie MMO sounds like an oxymoron imo. I can't think of a MMO that did not have the backing of a big publisher. Except MUDs I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or Eve.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
How's that city of heroes MMO revival project going?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Black August posted:

I wonder how much failed Kickstarters have poisoned the pool, and how much that poison is diluted by the hype for Kickstarters that went really well and delivered solidly. I see nothing but a lot of cynicism and doubt for nearly every project these days, and rightfully so when so many projects have failed or are delivered to the table as barely working garbage.

We are way past the gold rush, so to survive and get funded you either need to be humble about your scope and promises or hire dedicated managers to handle your campaign.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

Indie MMO sounds like an oxymoron imo. I can't think of a MMO that did not have the backing of a big publisher. Except MUDs I guess.

What happened to Jane Austen Online? Last time I checked it was still getting regular updates. (I'll admit I want it to succeed because of the absurdity of the premise.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Crowfall is doing okay so far, from what I can tell without being in their alpha. They started out with a very reasonable concept and budget for it.

Camelot Unchained's backers don't seem to be revolting yet either.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Trove, maybe? To the 'MMO Without publisher backing'. Trion Worlds self published.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Trion Worlds is kind of a big MMO publisher on their own, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Save your breath, dude, MMO kickstarters get very short shrift in this thread and for good reason.

There's a Dogmat thread in the HMO. You'll have a much better time preaching to the choir.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Megazver posted:

Crowfall is doing okay so far, from what I can tell without being in their alpha. They started out with a very reasonable concept and budget for it.

Camelot Unchained's backers don't seem to be revolting yet either.

Neither of those are real games yet though.

As someone who's shitposted in the threads for both of those, they also have some big warning signs. Crowfall turned their forums pay-to-post, and didn't look amazingly well managed before that. Unchained has so many loose ends and weird design bits that it looks hard for it not to be a broken mess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Was just about to post this. Xrd does a loving ton with clever shading and an orthographic (quasi-2D) projection, and I'd still bet that it took them way less effort than animating each character by hand.

Xrd requires a lot of tweaking to get the models right - a lot of the shading has to be done by hand, for example. It may seem simple in theory but it's actually a lot of painstaking work to maintain that faux-animation look.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, there's not a whole lot in the way of unique custom-made tech in Xrd - it's "just" a lot of hard work utilizing tech that has mostly existed for years, just not combined in that way.

Here's a GDC video that details their workflow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

On the topic of 2D engines, I remember Michel Ancel saying that he wanted the engine that was used for Rayman Legends/Origins to be made more available to outside developers. In a perfect world that would have already happened. :allears:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Lord Lambeth posted:

On the topic of 2D engines, I remember Michel Ancel saying that he wanted the engine that was used for Rayman Legends/Origins to be made more available to outside developers. In a perfect world that would have already happened. :allears:
Originally Ubisoft was all set to milk the UbiArt framework, since Rayman Origins was a highly risky project and they weren't expecting it to pay off. But it did :v: so they kept the engine to themselves and took all the marketing material down.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Litany Unheard posted:

If anyone says they're going to make an MMO and their team has less than 100 people on it you should probably wait before throwing your money away.

isn't project gorgon one guy and that's the best mmo of the past decade.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Indivisible is at 1.4mil with 3 days to go, so odds are it will probably make it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SupSuper posted:

Originally Ubisoft was all set to milk the UbiArt framework, since Rayman Origins was a highly risky project and they weren't expecting it to pay off. But it did :v: so they kept the engine to themselves and took all the marketing material down.

I mean... kinda? The game reviewed well but neither game sold well out of the gate; they had to hit bargain bins before people would buy them.

I'm still shocked they still haven't announced a Prince of Persia UbiArt game, but I guess that makes too much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I just came across this game on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eotu/empires-of-the-undergrowth

Ant battles sounds cool and anything that promotes insects is good by me. They aren't asking much either.