Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Hakkesshu posted:

I didn't back it but I loved Lost Constellation and am almost upset the full game is not gonna be another piece of surreal folklore, but it still looks really great.

Didn't back it either because I don't even think I knew about KS back then but it's one of the most jaw-droppingly pretty games yet to be released, and the KS video is one of the few that I just go and watch every once in a while and it just does something for me. There's such an avalanche of teasers and trailers every day that it's so, so rare that a short animated thing like NITW's makes you go back to it time and time again to get instant goosebumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

ymgve posted:

Welp, Sethian beta is delayed because the dev is a Mac person and SDL turned out to be less crossplatform than he imagined. Are there any game devs with SDL experience that could lend him a hand?

Good to know that when I post about loving up on KS and pop up in this thread it's not "what a piece of poo poo", it's "can anybody help?" Someone sent me a message offering to help with porting it, but considering you have to install SDL to make it run on Mac anyway, I'm not sure it's worth continuing trying to get SDL working. You're definitely not supposed to have to do that, and a lot of games - Spacechem, just as an example - run on SDL without you having to install it. As far as I can tell, Apple just removed the functionality that made this possible - that is, creating an app bundle entirely in C++. Or at least, it seems like they don't want you to do it anymore, they want you to use their languages instead. I think picking up SDL was a mistake. I'm seriously considering just switching to Unity. I know there's a stigma, and it's going to be hard to learn - especially because I'm not making, you know, first-person indie horror game #9412 or a Minecraft clone asset flip like so many others - but it would solve my problems with distribution, with porting, and I wouldn't have to worry about tutorials and advice for using it being outdated, because compared with SDL, or SDL2 at least, it's so well-documented and widely used.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

gqul posted:

Good to know that when I post about loving up on KS and pop up in this thread it's not "what a piece of poo poo", it's "can anybody help?" Someone sent me a message offering to help with porting it, but considering you have to install SDL to make it run on Mac anyway, I'm not sure it's worth continuing trying to get SDL working. You're definitely not supposed to have to do that, and a lot of games - Spacechem, just as an example - run on SDL without you having to install it. As far as I can tell, Apple just removed the functionality that made this possible - that is, creating an app bundle entirely in C++. Or at least, it seems like they don't want you to do it anymore, they want you to use their languages instead. I think picking up SDL was a mistake. I'm seriously considering just switching to Unity. I know there's a stigma, and it's going to be hard to learn - especially because I'm not making, you know, first-person indie horror game #9412 or a Minecraft clone asset flip like so many others - but it would solve my problems with distribution, with porting, and I wouldn't have to worry about tutorials and advice for using it being outdated, because compared with SDL, or SDL2 at least, it's so well-documented and widely used.
Distributing native applications is always a bitch. :v: But there are many SDL games out there so that shouldn't be a showstopper. Usually you can just bundle / statically link SDL with the executable so there's no "installation" involved. SpaceChem is a special case since they use C#/Mono which distributes differently.

Unity is much easier to distribute and pretty common these days so I wouldn't worry about stigma, but rather about "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". Rewrites are always tempting late into a project, but there's no guarantee starting over and learning a new engine will offset the costs of the old one. Lots of KS jump engines late and it costs them a lot. I'd at least experiment with it first or save it for post-beta so your backers aren't left wondering where the game went. :shobon:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah, just as an example of something I downloaded recently, the Quake engine "Quakespasm" is an open-source crossplatform C application that uses SDL2. On Windows it's just distributed with an SDL DLL alongside the exe. On OS X there's an SDL framework included in the app package. No separate SDL installation in either case.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

Yeah, just as an example of something I downloaded recently, the Quake engine "Quakespasm" is an open-source crossplatform C application that uses SDL2. On Windows it's just distributed with an SDL DLL alongside the exe. On OS X there's an SDL framework included in the app package. No separate SDL installation in either case.
I'm kicking around a prototype in SDL under Windows and MacOS and this is what I'm doing. I hadn't written a makefile to make a Mac app bundle yet until I read about the Sethian issues and it really is a pain to set up to look for the framework in the right directory.

If you've already got the beta running in SDL on the Mac then I'd definitely stick with porting it over first, no matter how annoying it is it's going to be much easier than moving to a new library or engine.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The thing to remember about Unity is that it's primarily a 3d engine. Yeah, there's a 2d framework, but if you're making a 2d game, I'd suggest Game Maker instead. But really:

SupSuper posted:

Unity is much easier to distribute and pretty common these days so I wouldn't worry about stigma, but rather about "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". Rewrites are always tempting late into a project, but there's no guarantee starting over and learning a new engine will offset the costs of the old one. Lots of KS jump engines late and it costs them a lot. I'd at least experiment with it first or save it for post-beta so your backers aren't left wondering where the game went. :shobon:

This. Switching engines or languages is going to just slow you down no matter what, since anything you choose is going to have strange quirks that might cause problems.

I know how frustrating it can be to try a million things and not get any of them to work, but there's got to be some solutions to the SDL problem (cursory searches suggest using frameworks, which you've probably seen). I kind of wonder what errors you're encountering on the Windows port. I do all my development on Windows, and I'm anticipating pain when I try to compile for the first time on another OS. Hell, it took a few days for me to be able to compile things again properly just on a fresh install of Windows.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

thedaian posted:

The thing to remember about Unity is that it's primarily a 3d engine. Yeah, there's a 2d framework, but if you're making a 2d game, I'd suggest Game Maker instead. But really:

The real question is, what's a good modern 2D engine anymore? XNA was okay, but Microsoft dumped it, and it had lovely arbitrary ram limits to accommodate the 360. Unity has the 2D plugins, so if hacky, you can kinda make it work. GameMaker sounds good on paper until you run into one of its many undocumented landmines, like size restrictions that make your game bug out spectacularly if you ever have more than 300mb of assets.

You gotta take what you can get, and Unity is the one that's still getting updated with the fewest unpleasant surprises.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

If it helps to know, I'm hacking together app bundles using Unix style makefiles without touching Xcode's IDE or using Objective C at all, so if it's simply a case of Xcode being pissy then this could be an alternative to try. Best of luck!

(The sticking point I got stuck on for hours and that most blogs leave out is that it seems Mac OS needs to be explicitly told where to look for frameworks in bundles even though it should be a standard, so you need to include that in a flag to the linker. It's easy to overlook because it will still run on your development machine as it's linked to the local copy there, only to fail when you distribute.)

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

It's been a long day, but I actually managed to get a working app bundle going. You can actually make them in Finder by just tacking on the .app extension to a folder. From there it's just understanding the subdirectories an app bundle uses, where an app keeps certain files, etc. I also managed to make the app so that you don't have to install SDL manually anymore. BUT, when I put it up on Steam, it breaks. This has to do with how Steam handles app bundles, which I'm still figuring out. Hopefully I'll be done with it soon.

edit: Looks like everything's working now. I'll have to check in with one of my testers tonight, but we should be all set on Mac. Now I just have to port the drat thing.

gqul fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 10, 2016

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Sebastian Frank is an indiegogo adventure game about stopping Hitler.

There's a demo you can check out here.

Voice acting ain't great but, well, it's a demo. I like the background art; characters not so much (that weird European faux-anime huge eyes style). Premise and setting are nice tho!

E: Demo got me stumped as gently caress.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

The White Dragon posted:

The real question is, what's a good modern 2D engine anymore? XNA was okay, but Microsoft dumped it, and it had lovely arbitrary ram limits to accommodate the 360. Unity has the 2D plugins, so if hacky, you can kinda make it work. GameMaker sounds good on paper until you run into one of its many undocumented landmines, like size restrictions that make your game bug out spectacularly if you ever have more than 300mb of assets.

You gotta take what you can get, and Unity is the one that's still getting updated with the fewest unpleasant surprises.

Probably Flash or an HTML5 based one since they seem to be the main 2D platforms in development these days? Or possibly one of the more obscure indie ones like MonkeyX or LoVE? Of course for mobile there's nice ones like Cocos2D and Metal..

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The people who made Descent are kickstarting a new Descent, only they can't call it Descent because some ex-starcitizen nobodies bought the name to kickstart a new Descent that is nothing like Descent at all a while ago.

Actual Descent is going to be called Overload and with kickstarter fatigue and them asking for a realistic goal ... odds aren't great.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010925172/overload-the-ultimate-six-degree-of-freedom-shoote

The gameplay looks amazing though, and when you see that the first 2 things the devs put in is classic Descent lasers and the Gauss Cannon you know they know what the game's about.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 10, 2016

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

DatonKallandor posted:

The people who made Descent are kickstarting a new Descent, only they can't call it Descent because some ex-starcitizen nobodies bought the name to kickstart a new Descent that is nothing like Descent at all a while ago.

Actual Descent is going to be called Overload and with kickstarter fatigue and them asking for a realistic goal ... odds aren't great.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010925172/overload-the-ultimate-six-degree-of-freedom-shoote

The gameplay looks amazing though, and when you see that the first 2 things the devs put in is classic Descent lasers and the Gauss Cannon you know they know what the game's about.

I thought someone already had a kickstarter for a not-Descent?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
So far we've had Descent Underground and Sublevel Zero as the most high-profile 6DOF games recently... I think both were kickstarted? There's been others too.

e: I guess SZ wasn't kickstarted.

Retrovirus had a failed Kickstarter. Sol Contingency is also out there doing their thing w/o Kickstarter yet.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 10, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

I really hope this can make it and then follow through. Retrovirus was okay but not that great, though I hadn't even heard of Sublevel Zero until now so maybe I need to check that out, so I really want a good Descent, and preferably one without the bullshit difficulty of the originals as a bonus :v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Having played all of the ones mentioned, except for Sol Contingency, Sublevel Zero comes closest to real Descent in terms of gameplay. It's really good - nails basically everything except for the enemy AI. But it turns out if you take Descent and you're only missing the varied AI it's still great (and they've got crafting and some RPG mechanics to make up for it).

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

hyphz posted:

Probably Flash or an HTML5 based one since they seem to be the main 2D platforms in development these days? Or possibly one of the more obscure indie ones like MonkeyX or LoVE? Of course for mobile there's nice ones like Cocos2D and Metal..

I know it'll never happen, but if the Ubisoft Rayman team releases their 2D engine, I'd be pretty drat happy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

Kulas was awesome to work for, Toschlog is a goon, I never worked with Claffin but Luke is an absolutely wonderful designer and programmer and in addition to working on a billion volition games he's also made about a million games under radiangames.com which is his solo venture.

There is literally no group of 4 guys I would give money to more readily.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Deliver Us The Moon looks like it could be pretty cool, and they have a demo area up to try out

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah, I think I should drop a couple of bucks on this one.

Sigma-X posted:

Toschlog is a goon

Seriously? Wonder if he ever posted in either of my threads, then.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 11, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DatonKallandor posted:

I haven't tried to shove money into my monitor this fast since the Obduction pitch. Critical hit right to the nostalgia.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You kids like some Fatal Fury?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1687341753/embers-fatal-fury-film?ref=video

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS

But I will stick with 2:

1) Are they really doing a live action version of the first Fatal Fury anime? I mean really?

2) Body pillows?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Star Man posted:

Yeah, I think I should drop a couple of bucks on this one.

Seriously? Wonder if he ever posted in either of my threads, then.

When I started at Volition like 9 years ago he PMed me. Not sure if he still is tbqh.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Zaa Boogie posted:

I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS

But I will stick with 2:

1) Are they really doing a live action version of the first Fatal Fury anime? I mean really?

2) Body pillows?

Having body pillows of real people seems kind of wrong.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

quote:

What about multiplayer?

We understand that multiplayer is hugely important to some players, but we made the decision to focus on creating a rich and full single-player experience.

yea :rip:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Honestly, that's music to my ears. After the aforementioned ex-star citizen nobodies decided the correct approach to Descent single player is "Uh... sure, eventually, we guess", having Actual Descent be the polar opposite sounds fantastic.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Focusing on multiplayer with likely microtransactions is why everyone got pissed off about the Descent Underground Kickstarter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand, a game I can't play with friends might as well not exist. My friends time is limited enough, I'm not going to waste it on things I can't play with them.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Meanwhile I've pretty much sworn off multiplayer games aside from the occasional coop session, so games I can only play with other people might as well not exist to me. In that sense it's good that there's been this explosion of people trying to make Descent clones. With some luck, there'll be a good one for each of us.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, agree.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
kickstarter games with fully networked multiplayer are scams. kickstarter games with couch coop multiplayer are only very likely to be scams

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Has there been a multiplayer kickstarter game that has managed to sustain a decent population for more than a couple weeks? I mean there could be some but most of my nostalgia is related to being a shut-in loser when I played these games so I give them money based purely on the single player experience I remember. Even if Descent Underground was presented as a completely vanilla multiplayer experience from 1995 (arena, no unlocks, no ranks, etc) I still wouldn't have backed it because that's not what I played in Descent.

Edit: Elite Dangerous I guess? Even though that's not technically the multiplayer most people mean when they say it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent/posts/1487017?ref=dash

quote:

Dear backers,

As promised, we'd like to introduce you all to our new programmer, Mr Daniel Dressler. He has just started working at our studio in Tokyo yesterday, although we intended to do this update yesterday, setting up all the hardware and project file took our focus away so we apologise for the delay.

Here's a message from Daniel, please make him feel welcome!

Hello Everyone! My name is Daniel Dressler, I am a software engineer living and working in Tokyo. At my prior company I programmed the game logic for a popular Japanese Hearthstone-like game. Now I am excited to join CIA and help make Project Phoenix a reality!

Two years ago Hiro convinced me along with you guys, my fellow backers. Then late last year he did it again and convinced me to join up.

This surprised even me but Project Phoenix is far from a 0% codebase. Pascal did substantial work and has left us with codebase I am proud to work upon. Once Hiro gave me access to the existing UE4 source code the general quality of the code surprised me. Pascal did not cut corners when he laid the foundation of Project Phoenix. We may be looking towards another 2.5 years of development but honestly I look forward to spending that time realizing the full potential of Project Phoenix.

In the coming weeks, we'll look at the setup even closer and give you all a heads up on the much awaited milestones.

Thanks again for your patience, and we look forward to sending more updates in the near future!

Director / Producer of Project Phoenix
Hiroaki Yura

Project Phoenix has a programmer. Only another 2.5 years to go! :toot:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I give him three months on the job and then he's gonna bolt.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Woah... When was this kickstarted?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Woah... When was this kickstarted?

20...12?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Welp, sealark is officially dead and offering refunds. Not that I expected anything else after the past year or so of updates, but it's still disappointing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Has there been a multiplayer kickstarter game that has managed to sustain a decent population for more than a couple weeks? I mean there could be some but most of my nostalgia is related to being a shut-in loser when I played these games so I give them money based purely on the single player experience I remember. Even if Descent Underground was presented as a completely vanilla multiplayer experience from 1995 (arena, no unlocks, no ranks, etc) I still wouldn't have backed it because that's not what I played in Descent.

Edit: Elite Dangerous I guess? Even though that's not technically the multiplayer most people mean when they say it.

Planetary Annihilation still has a decent number of people in multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

the issue isn't player retention, it's the difficulty of networking code. multiplayer is typically offered as a stretch goal only 10-100k over the previous incentive, which is biting off more than any brand new developer or established-but-low-budget team can chew. if its being offered, then the team lead is too inexperienced with game development finance to be trusted with your money