Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

Oh man this is too funny.
https://twitter.com/t_aizu/status/735652527450947584

This is the head of IntiCreates. It's like watching a parent getting ready to punish a child.

the best part of this tweet is everyone being unable to read and think "D*** *il***" somehow stands for "Dina Abou Karam"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The original idea was that you'd get abilities from individual enemies by dashing into them but they dropped that idea a long time ago and now you just dash into things just because. Bosses also do (did?) an annoying thing where you can't just shoot them until they die, you have to hit them with the dash every so often or they'll stop taking damage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

I will sew myself a fake real fruit hat and eat it with a side helping of delicious shoes.

so it is written and so too then shall it be :toxx:

:v:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

That Mighty No. 9 footage reminds me of indie games from a decade ago. Which might not be a problem except it also appears to be lacking soul. I hope it feels better when you play it because every video I've seen looks so flat and bland.

I'm starting to feel sorry for them, did something go wrong in development? :smith:
edit: I mean apart from the delays, which I already know about.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 26, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

That Mighty No. 9 footage reminds me of indie games from a decade ago. Which might not be a problem except it also appears to be lacking soul. I hope it feels better when you play it because every video I've seen looks so flat and bland.

I don't know, it might have ugly lighting but aesthetically, it looks like a MMX game, and gameplay-wise it doesn't look too far off. The actual second-to-second gameplay (shoot stuff then dash through to kill them) looks fun, but whether or not the game is good will probably depend on the level- and boss-design.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HGH posted:

Oh man this is too funny.
https://twitter.com/t_aizu/status/735652527450947584

This is the head of IntiCreates. It's like watching a parent getting ready to punish a child.

I can't believe the very first reply to that is someone celebrating the "deserved" bad publicity the game is getting because THEY HIRED A WOMAN COMMUNITY MANAGER 3 YEARS AGO >:O

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ironically the people who got told "We don't want your money!" are the winners here. Saved by bad PR.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 26, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know, it might have ugly lighting but aesthetically, it looks like a MMX game, and gameplay-wise it doesn't look too far off. The actual second-to-second gameplay (shoot stuff then dash through to kill them) looks fun, but whether or not the game is good will probably depend on the level- and boss-design.
Yeah it's probably the lighting more than anything that's triggering those particular neurons for me. I'm not a Mega Man fan but I've played a few indie titles over the years for PC and Xbox 360, and there's something about Mighty No. 9 that hits that era of 3D with coloured lighting that falls after nostalgia ends and before the slicker modern indie era begins.

I think the GUI doesn't help either, in particular all those flashing combo bonuses. It looks wrong, and it bugs me that I can't explain exactly why.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, an expert on bad reboots of classic franchises has chimed in:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/735638491636195328

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

the dashing through enemies mechanic looks horrible and the opposite of what you would want out of a mega man-esque game

yeah sure POINTS and COMBO MULTIPLIERS was the thing i always loved about mega man x

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, an expert on bad reboots of classic franchises has chimed in:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/735638491636195328

I don't think the twitter dude was responsible for those reboots.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You mean Sonic? Sonic the Hedgehog?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

HGH posted:

I have to assume they've given up on the original audience and are desperately attempting to appeal to gullible kids.
EDIT: You know, I think that's Matt Mercer's voice? Voicing that probably hurt.

It's actually Koltrane who used to be a big WoW podcaster. He also recently did the voiceover for Ratchet and Clank's movie trailer. He does voice work on the side as his actual job is cutting movie trailers.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, thanks for the info. Guess I really misheard there.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Ikari Worrier posted:

Since it hasn't been brought up in this thread, Mighty No. 9 released a new trailer and it's... uh... well it's something alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

All dash, all the time.

I never played the Mega Man games, but wasn't the main draw for them really solid platforming, and cool boss fights? Maybe the later games got into dashing, and somehow they think that was what everyone was hoping for.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thedaian posted:

I never played the Mega Man games, but wasn't the main draw for them really solid platforming, and cool boss fights? Maybe the later games got into dashing, and somehow they think that was what everyone was hoping for.

You spend a ton of time dashing in the X games and even more in the Zero series and onwards. Also, the dashing in those games feels good and is fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They were looking for a new mechanic to differentiate it from previous MM/Inti games but the original idea (dash into enemies, temporarily copy their abilities) got watered down into what you see before you, ie a tedious scoring gimmick that's rarely fun but can't be entirely ignored.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Could be worse. Apparently this is the new Megaman from the rebooted cartoon:

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 26, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

ah yes i remember in mmx how literally everything was in a giant closed factory hallway

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How did he fire a Launch Octopus missile and then have time to jump backwards and fully charge a buster shot as well before it landed, and don't tell me he fired it in advance because then the auto targeting would have had it homed in on the woodcutter instead

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Alright, in hopefully-not-lovely-kickstarter news Empires of the Undergrowth met its goal and then some quite comfortably. I'm very happy about this since It seems like they learned all the right lessons from their previous failed kickstarter (reduced the scope and concentrated on core goals, made a playable demo, showed genuine improvements in visuals and such since last time) and they made more money than the first kickstarter goal. This was always the kind of game idea I thought was super cool, but one odd thing was the way they handled their stretch goals. They only trickled them out very slowly after the previous ones had already been reached ages ago, its like they were coming up with them from scratch as the campaign was ongoing, which I find extremely unusual.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

ah yes i remember in mmx how literally everything was in a giant closed factory hallway

oh god where even are the boundaries in that water pit, where would i stand to be at the edge of it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is this from a later MMX or something? The art style looks like the first one but it's obviously way too detailed/not pixelated.

edit: \/\/\/ that's correct, at least for the ones I've played (1 - 3).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lemon-Lime posted:

You spend a ton of time dashing in the X games and even more in the Zero series and onwards. Also, the dashing in those games feels good and is fun.

I haven't played the much later X games or any of the Zero games but I thought in Mega Man games the dash was just a fast way to move around or a way to make otherwise impossible jumps, not the only way to finish off enemies.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cicero posted:

Is this from a later MMX or something? The art style looks like the first one but it's obviously way too detailed/not pixelated.

edit: \/\/\/ that's correct, at least for the ones I've played (1 - 3).

It's an artist's reimagining of Sting Chameleon's stage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't played the much later X games or any of the Zero games but I thought in Mega Man games the dash was just a fast way to move around or a way to make otherwise impossible jumps, not the only way to finish off enemies.

That's correct, but you still spend a lot of time dashing.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

A game that looks like this making fun of anime fans is the greatest thing.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Suspicious Dish posted:

You could at least not pretend that the thing that they show is the entire game.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They were looking for a new mechanic to differentiate it from previous MM/Inti games but the original idea (dash into enemies, temporarily copy their abilities) got watered down into what you see before you, ie a tedious scoring gimmick that's rarely fun but can't be entirely ignored.

According to the trailer, it doesn't seem like that's entirely true, but don't we have yet to see the whole robot master kind of deal? The actual game was supposed to have you take abilities from the bosses and I don't recall so much being said about the basic enemies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's his little robocodpiece for his little robojunk that kills me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

You could at least not pretend that the thing that they show is the entire game.

the demo they released and all trailers have only showed the same hallway and the same boring enemies

if thats not the entire game and theres actually something exciting in there they did a bad job at showing it

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cheez posted:

According to the trailer, it doesn't seem like that's entirely true, but don't we have yet to see the whole robot master kind of deal? The actual game was supposed to have you take abilities from the bosses and I don't recall so much being said about the basic enemies.

The backer demo (at least the first one, I only played that, not the later one) had rather underwhelming powerups to gain from dashing through basic enemies.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

That actually looks better, from technical perspective. How old is that again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cheez posted:

There is some kind of (basically unshown) power-up system but the regular enemies just give you either a damage, speed buff or I think defense buff that lasts for a brief period of time with the idea being that you're chaining the buffs together to make your speedrunnin' faster.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Six years old. It's probably a better game than MN9 will be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Litany Unheard posted:

Dinosaurs with feathers are cool and good and fun to look at.

actually, it's possibly the worst scientific discovery ever.

also is lemon-lime insane or blind.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 28, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DatonKallandor posted:

Came out in 2010 I think.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Came out in 2010 I think.

Yep, and the final levels were last year, after reforming post-Atari collapse and failure of the company.

They lost the entire game to a failing publisher, got hosed by Microsoft, and still never had to crowdfund or ended up as much a debacle as MN9. Blade Kitten is a story about heart.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey want to see what Mighty No. 9 would have looked if it released in 2015? Because someone leaked the entire 2015 build of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFadjYHkXsmTSUop8_dnTKg/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cheez posted:

There are weapons you get from the robot masters and they do sorta "transform" the character but not to the extent they were describing in their initial plans (which is fine but they've been less than communicative about that aspect of the game in general. Maybe they don't want to spoil them, maybe they're just bad at marketing.)

The "one-time powers from enemies" thing turned into a buff system - you dash through enemies to get colour-coded buffs which display above Beck and you can extend the duration of your buffs by chaining dash kills. It's functional and interesting in its own way but it's not very exciting nor is it intuitive.