Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fumaofthelake posted:

I just realized that I paid $40 for MN9, soundtrack and art book/strategy guide digitally.

In Target right now and they have physical copies with the art book/strategy guide and a poster for $30.

Feeling like I didn't get a real great value here but I'm actually really liking the game so far other than the sniper level. I guess it's cool they tried something different there but feel like they failed pretty hard.

The Backer artbook/strategy guide is ~100 pages and edited by Udon. It also has concept art and everything.
The retail "artbook" is just some of the official illustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I once backed a lovely pixel game and the ''art print'' I got as an extra was a cheap printed photo that looks like garbage. That's my story.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Fumaofthelake posted:

I just realized that I paid $40 for MN9, soundtrack and art book/strategy guide digitally.

In Target right now and they have physical copies with the art book/strategy guide and a poster for $30.

Feeling like I didn't get a real great value here but I'm actually really liking the game so far other than the sniper level. I guess it's cool they tried something different there but feel like they failed pretty hard.

I just realized I did as well. Where do you even download the The Backer artbook/strategy guide?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

BexGu posted:

I just realized I did as well. Where do you even download the The Backer artbook/strategy guide?

From Humble Bundle.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Lurking Haro posted:

The Backer artbook/strategy guide is ~100 pages and edited by Udon. It also has concept art and everything.
The retail "artbook" is just some of the official illustrations.

Oh cool.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

The Lord of Hats posted:

Was browsing KS, and found WIZARD OF LEGEND which looks pretty sweet, definitely going to back for a copy.

Wow, good pixel art and real proof of gameplay? That one's a keeper.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just found out that that Arcadia rpg game got funded, which I was hoping it would but wasn't confident about. Seems they got a big boost from Ken Levine, so Booker Dewitt is going to cameo in their fantasy sword and sorcery game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This one feels pretty niche, but maybe some of y'all are hardcore SEGA fans. There's a kickstarter for Mega Visions, a Sega-focused digital magazine. Kinda like Nintendo Power from the new age, and for a worse company.

Franchise retrospectives, retro reviews, talent spotlights, news and rumors, previews, etc. Apparently it won't be strictly about SEGA products, either, but also about games that started out on SEGA consoles or were exclusives, like Toejam and Earl. So if you miss 90s gaming magazines and love SEGA, consider backing it?

I'm just doing this cuz someone asked me nicely.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Love him or hate him, The Requiem will certainly let you know what he thinks. We've given him free reign in Mega Visions, so watch out!

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

khwarezm posted:

That Dinosaur survival game Saurian got funded for like four times its original goal.
Good for them. I'm not really one for survival games, but the fact that a game based around mind-bogglingly thorough scientific accuracy managed to gain so much steam is heartening to me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
dinosaurs are doomed to fail

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Was browsing KS, and found WIZARD OF LEGEND which looks pretty sweet, definitely going to back for a copy.

This looks really loving cool

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Lurdiak posted:

This one feels pretty niche, but maybe some of y'all are hardcore SEGA fans. There's a kickstarter for Mega Visions, a Sega-focused digital magazine. Kinda like Nintendo Power from the new age, and for a worse company.

Franchise retrospectives, retro reviews, talent spotlights, news and rumors, previews, etc. Apparently it won't be strictly about SEGA products, either, but also about games that started out on SEGA consoles or were exclusives, like Toejam and Earl. So if you miss 90s gaming magazines and love SEGA, consider backing it?

I'm just doing this cuz someone asked me nicely.

Hrm, I wonder if it will include full level layouts created by mosaics of photogtraphs of a tube TV though?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Good for them. I'm not really one for survival games, but the fact that a game based around mind-bogglingly thorough scientific accuracy managed to gain so much steam is heartening to me.

I'd really like that game to be good if only because its nice to see a more accurate portrayal of a Dromaeosaur as a sort of ground-bound eagle as opposed to Jurassic Park style plucked-Turkey-crossed-with-a-wolf. There certainly seems to be a lot of interest given the success of their campaign, so here's hoping they can make this work.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Reason posted:

Has anyone here been satisfied with something they kickstarted? I haven't. To be fair I have only kickstarted six or so things, but none of them turned out near the hype. Biggest disappointments(that at least released something) so far for me are probably Torment and Planetary Annihilation.

I've been pretty satisfied with my kick starters so far. Wasteland 2 and pillars had their problems but were totally worth the $20 I backed them for.

Darkest dungeon was great from day one and got even better when they started adding more stuff

Both the non-returns shadowrun games were fun for what they were

I haven't played torment and Barkley 2 was pushed back for like 3 years but they both look good so far.

The closest thing to a disappointment was massive chalice which was really dull to me. Maybe it's because I always just donate the lowest amount to get the game?

[E] I have dodged some huge bullets though due to being broke when the campaign was up. I was definitely going to back MN9, project phoenix, space base df9,and confederate express

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yep, snagged me for a copy of the game. Looks like a ton of fun.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ikenfell is a pretty cute Paper Mario-ish magic school RPG.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Megazver posted:

Ikenfell is a pretty cute Paper Mario-ish magic school RPG.

wow that looks super-cute.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Skimming the page it sounds like an artist-driven project made by a single person, with risks and challenges like "well I might get sick or my computer could break". Might well be fine, but that's sending up a few red flags. :ssh:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Asimo posted:

Skimming the page it sounds like an artist-driven project made by a single person, with risks and challenges like "well I might get sick or my computer could break". Might well be fine, but that's sending up a few red flags. :ssh:

It's by Chevy Ray Johnston. He's an alright dude, he's the original creator of Flashpunk (and by extension Haxepunk) but I think that was really barebones before he made it open-source and stopped working on it.
The biggest red flag is that he's been suffering from severe depression, so back Ikenfell with that in mind.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He seems to have a lot of other indie devs plugging him, cause they're friends.

At the very least, he has a network and some reputation.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Ikenfell and Wizard Of Legend look awesome. Wish I could back them, even on graphics alone.

E: Spent 3 minutes in Wizard of Legend's demo. Spells and combat feel spot-on. But I'm so used to these games looking amazing in small-sized gifs that they just look really huge and chunky and low def on a full screen. Hard to adjust to that.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 24, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Shovel Knight devs put up an interest check poll to find out what people would like them to make next: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V6wPLSqNj88zuz0-Ms6RAtiBXXVoIlNnK-IjYcIeHGU/viewform?c=0&w=1

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Honestly, a Shovel Knight sequel wasn't even in my top 3 choices. I love the game and the DLC but there's no need for a sequel.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Honestly, a Shovel Knight sequel wasn't even in my top 3 choices. I love the game and the DLC but there's no need for a sequel.

:same:

I'd love to see them do a proper Megaman game, or a Metroid, or kart game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I'm shocked that Shovel Knight 64 isn't on the list.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
A Mode 7 Kart game, while fun, would be a waste compared to the other options.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Brother None posted:

It is not true. From the start our intent has been to adjust the Numenera system to what works best for our medium, and people who have been playing the beta have seen some of our changes to these systems as we continue to iterate and see what works best.

That's not the impression I got from the RPS interview - "...trying to make it as closely representative of the Numenera tabletop experience as possible." and all, and the things mentioned as being modified is mostly the parts where original system is too free-form - but those aren't the problematic parts, the things that are very much codified in the rules are (such as the absurd armor mechanics).

But if you're changing more now, that's good. Numenera needs it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somfin posted:

I'm shocked that Shovel Knight 64 isn't on the list.
They've said they're going to be using their existing engine for whatever they make here, Shovel Knight 64 would need an entirely new engine.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm surprised "A spelunky" was one of the options. That's not the kind of thing you bring up as a weekend project. The others pretty much have their basic mechanics cut out, randomized precision adventure requires making your own ideas and being very careful with them... :5:'d it anyway, even though I think that not even Yacht Club could pull it off.

I kind of think Yacht Club would be wasted on any type of RPG other than Mario, their gift is in level design though they are highly skill at everything else, and RPGs would not have any of that unless they have some idea on how to do things differently. Still :5:'d Mario RPG because I cannot resist (and I'm hoping against hope they can match the funky dreamlike feel of Mario RPG's graphics...)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Everyone better put a fuckin' 5 on "A Metroid".

Asimo posted:

Don't back this game. And I'm saying as someone who thinks this looks cool as hell and super fun, wait till it comes out before giving a single-dude run project with Noted Brain Problems money for a minimum two-year project.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd be down for most of the things on that list except the mode 7 kart game, the isometric game and the procedurally generated game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that there are people in this world who don't want to see a proper, Mode7 Knight Kart game is baffling.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that there are people in this world who don't want to see a proper, Mode7 Knight Kart game is baffling.

I can see why, personally.

I said 'very excited' to Zelda, Metroid and Mario RPG.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lemon-Lime posted:

Those were only tolerable when we had nothing better. I'd rather not have completely flat race tracks in any kart games these days.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah, the original Mario Kart has not aged very well. I'm all in for FF RPG/Mario RPG/Zelda/Metroid though.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

fishmech posted:

Those were only tolerable when we had nothing better. I'd rather not have completely flat race tracks in any kart games these days.

Yup, this. My number one choice was the Metroid, but the Mario RPG and Zelda got high marks as well.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK Mighty No 9 works now. I don't hate it but it's not overly exciting so far.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The System Shock 1 remake's Kickstarter is starting next week. They want $900k and will have a playable demo ready. It'll be interesting to see how they navigate around the current pessimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

The System Shock 1 remake's Kickstarter is starting next week. They want $900k and will have a playable demo ready. It'll be interesting to see how they navigate around the current pessimism.

That'll be a tough one for me to skip. That game was the dogs bollocks when it came out. One of the few games I ever played through to the end - twice. They introduced leaning round corners etc, drat they better not gently caress it up.