Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sonic Kart is enough Kart for me, even if the Shovel Knight one is better there's only so much it can bring to the table. Especially if they make it look like mode 7 and thus godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Super Mario Kart was great, but it's also really easy to gently caress up, as evidenced by every single Super Mario Kart clone of the day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Racing games is one genre that has unambiguously improved with newer technology. Mode 7-style racers are thoroughly obsolete.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Although remaking SS1 may seem questionable, not only is it likely a ploy to reel in investors for SS3, you have to remember that compared to SS2, 1 is dogshit (so don't play 2 first if you ever intend to play the original verison of 1) Speaking of which, due to the delay of the rerelease of 1 (which required buying all the rights back), a lot of people have undoubtedly ended up playing 2 first, ruining Classic 1 for them forever.. And 3's devs can probably learn from the reception to the 1 remake.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

BiggerJ posted:

Although remaking SS1 may seem questionable, not only is it likely a ploy to reel in investors for SS3, you have to remember that compared to SS2, 1 is dogshit (so don't play 2 first if you ever intend to play the original verison of 1) Speaking of which, due to the delay of the rerelease of 1 (which required buying all the rights back), a lot of people have undoubtedly ended up playing 2 first, ruining Classic 1 for them forever.. And 3's devs can probably learn from the reception to the 1 remake.

I've only ever played SSI, is the sequel really that good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
System Shock 2 is incredible and still holds up as one of the best horror/sci-fi FPSes you can play. I would recommend a handful of mods but in general you can still easily go out and play it in 2016 as-is.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Worst thing about System Shock 1: Cyberspace.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

Worst thing about System Shock 1: Cyberspace.

I hope they just reuse Dystopia's cyberspace verbatim for the remake. :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
A System Shock remake I think would be absolutely worth it; it's a groundbreaking game in a lot of ways with some very clever ideas that's hobbled by an obnoxious interface and graphics that have aged very, very badly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A System Shock remake I think would be absolutely worth it; it's a groundbreaking game in a lot of ways with some very clever ideas that's hobbled by an obnoxious interface and graphics that have aged very, very badly.

On the other hand a modern remake will probably be Bioshock with space scifi paint.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Demiurge4 posted:

On the other hand a modern remake will probably be Bioshock with space scifi paint.

There are much worse things a game could be.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's unlikely that the sshock1 remake is going to be as shallow as Bioshock.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

they will have a demo so we will likely get an idea of that!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Racing games is one genre that has unambiguously improved with newer technology. Mode 7-style racers are thoroughly obsolete.

Yeah like I'm even ok with making the racers sprite based, you just got to have an actual 3D track for them to be on instead of one big flat mode 7 plane.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Yeah like I'm even ok with making the racers sprite based, you just got to have an actual 3D track for them to be on instead of one big flat mode 7 plane.

what about f zero

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

exploding mummy posted:

what about f zero

F Zero in 3D was wayyyyy loving better for playing and feeling fast.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

exploding mummy posted:

what about f zero

F-Zero X on the N64 is way better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyzUtJU4aoY

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
Shameless plug for a friend:

A friend of mine is one of the creators for Dire Vengeance, a retro 2D action platform game. There's a demo linked on their stream greenlight page: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690720831

And the kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1159861908/dire-vengeance

I've played a few versions of it and it's quite fun! The demo has, I believe, 3 levels in it, so there's a fair amount of content to see if you like it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Shameless plug for a friend:

A friend of mine is one of the creators for Dire Vengeance, a retro 2D action platform game. There's a demo linked on their stream greenlight page: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690720831

And the kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1159861908/dire-vengeance

I've played a few versions of it and it's quite fun! The demo has, I believe, 3 levels in it, so there's a fair amount of content to see if you like it.

This actually looks kind of interesting, but the particle effects are really bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Cross posing from Megaman thread

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATCCy1DBv0M

Here's noted streamer Slowbeef playing MN9 as it was gifted to him. It crashes twice in the first 30 minutes. It looks stunningly average. The story is meh. The VAs are bad. They animated the bodies, but not the lips moving. Some of the levels have really similar aesthetics to the point of sameiness.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Demiurge4 posted:

They released a video of the pre-alpha version a few months ago to give you an idea of what they're going for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

I think they'll be able to get $900k fairly easily, especially with a demo right at the start.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

That... looks like utter poo poo.

It was unfair of me to compare this game to Blade Kitten and I'd like to formally apologize to Kroma Studios.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How did this thread become the sole bastion of unironic Blade Kitten fandom?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Besides cyberspace, I think the graphics in ss1 work really well, better than ss2 for me. I like the aliased textures in ss1 a lot more than ss2's muddy messes. Though its been a while since I played ss2 so might not remember what that game looked like and thinking of something else, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

That... looks like utter poo poo.

It was unfair of me to compare this game to Blade Kitten and I'd like to formally apologize to Kroma Studios.

I had to replay Mega Man Powered Up to remind myself that a 3D Mega Man on a 2D plane could be aesthetically pleasing and gently caress Capcom for not putting that game and Maverick Hunter X on PSN.

tinaun posted:

Besides cyberspace, I think the graphics in ss1 work really well, better than ss2 for me. I like the aliased textures in ss1 a lot more than ss2's muddy messes. Though its been a while since I played ss2 so might not remember what that game looked like and thinking of something else, though.

I love Cyberspace aesthetically. I like the early 90s CGI renditions of what the internet would look like and you can see the evolution of it in Shadowrun, Questworld, ReBoot, Johnny Mnemonic, and Hackers where the internet is a series of neon tubes connecting pyramid-like structures and geometrically shaped IC patrol the tiled wallpaper hallways connecting computer nodes together. I also have to stress that in a post-Doom but pre-3D acceleration world you have a 3D rendered first person game with full 360 degree movement.

I'm with you on the first System Shock looking good. It's very clean with bold use of colors and hi-res releases of the game make it look like modern pixel art. The second game carries much of the same visual flair in its environments with very simple geometrical shapes that give it a comic book look. But both games falter with enemy design. The enemy sprites of the first game or the 3D models of the second are both pretty ugly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

al-azad posted:

I had to replay Mega Man Powered Up to remind myself that a 3D Mega Man on a 2D plane could be aesthetically pleasing

Is this not aesthetically pleasing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
why does his hair look like that toy ball with the flat spikes from the 90s

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How did this thread become the sole bastion of unironic Blade Kitten fandom?

Dude, I did a whole LP, I will spread the gospel everywhere I go

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Blade Kitten is also on sale for 89 cents. Part 2 is $1.49.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Dude, I did a whole LP, I will spread the gospel everywhere I go

When is the part 2 LP going to happen? :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

When is the part 2 LP going to happen? :colbert:

realtalk: whenever I get off my rear end and set up video recording on this new PC there are about 5 projects I will probably blitz through. I just always hate that initial setup headache

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Xelkelvos posted:

I know a couple of people have defended it now as being mediocre or fun but holy poo poo I have to wonder what game they were playing. It finally unlocked in the UK and I swear I tried to play the game with an open mind but there's just nothing here to be excited about. The animations look terrible, the control while fine just doesn't feel right to me (I know super subjective there) and the levels are really really boring. Beat a fire stage and an ice stage filled with really dull enemies to fight. After the ice stage I just put the controller down. I assumed I'd play through the thing in a couple of setting just to see it through the end but I'm doubtful now.

This isn't a mediocre game it's a bad game. Not outrageously bad just kinda thumbs down move along way.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Whether it's bad or mediocre, it can't be hard to agree that No. 9 just does not bring enough new to the table that it can afford to be mediocre. It's following in the footsteps of a genre that still has eminently playable iterations to this day. No one is gonna play Megaman X, compare it to Mighty No. 9, and find No. 9 coming out on top in any aspect other than pixel count.

You can't afford to be mediocre in a genre swimming with playable alternatives, because you'll look worse than mediocre for the company.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

randombattle posted:

Shovel Knight and FTL are both fantastic games and kickstarter successes.

Also LISA.

Nate RFB posted:

System Shock 2 is incredible and still holds up as one of the best horror/sci-fi FPSes you can play. I would recommend a handful of mods but in general you can still easily go out and play it in 2016 as-is.

I played SS1 and 2 for the first time recently. SS1 is interesting but there's really no need to actually play it.

SS2 is a lot like Deus Ex. It's Very, VERY dated but it's also just so well made that you should really give it a shot anyways.

However it does have some big problems. Without going into spoilers, for one, balance is a joke. Like, you can get towards the end of the game and find out none of the weapons you spent all your points on except the default starting melee weapon can even damage the enemies you're fighting. There's a mechanic (research) that if you want to use, you have to back track a LOT for. Enemies respawn forever, and in some conditions do so so fast that they [i]pop into existence and kill you in your line of sight[i]. Character generation really isn't explained too well so it's possible to get a basically useless character at the start.

That said the core gameplay is fairly fun, the writing's good, and it managed to scare me from time to time even today.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 26, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Whether it's bad or mediocre, it can't be hard to agree that No. 9 just does not bring enough new to the table that it can afford to be mediocre. It's following in the footsteps of a genre that still has eminently playable iterations to this day. No one is gonna play Megaman X, compare it to Mighty No. 9, and find No. 9 coming out on top in any aspect other than pixel count.

You can't afford to be mediocre in a genre swimming with playable alternatives, because you'll look worse than mediocre for the company.

You just condemned like 99% of platformers.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lurdiak posted:

You just condemned like 99% of platformers.

It's pretty obvious he means megaman clones, which has a lot of better games that can exist alongside Megaman/Megaman X because they bring new poo poo to the table without being really boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Count Uvula posted:

It's pretty obvious he means megaman clones, which has a lot of better games that can exist alongside Megaman/Megaman X because they bring new poo poo to the table without being really boring.

All right fair enough, but I really don't think that's a subgenre with such high saturation that mediocrity is unacceptable. It's not like we're talking about arcade beat-em-ups.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Anatharon posted:

Also LISA.

I played SS1 and 2 for the first time recently. SS1 is interesting but there's really no need to actually play it.

SS2 is a lot like Deus Ex. It's Very, VERY dated but it's also just so well made that you should really give it a shot anyways.

However it does have some big problems. Without going into spoilers, for one, balance is a joke. Like, you can get towards the end of the game and find out none of the weapons you spent all your points on except the default starting melee weapon can even damage the enemies you're fighting. There's a mechanic (research) that if you want to use, you have to back track a LOT for. Enemies respawn forever, and in some conditions do so so fast that they [i]pop into existence and kill you in your line of sight[i]. Character generation really isn't explained too well so it's possible to get a basically useless character at the start.

That said the core gameplay is fairly fun, the writing's good, and it managed to scare me from time to time even today.
I basically have only ever played with Standard weapons as my main focus, which is apparently the most overall useful and fun in general.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I never finished SS2, the respawning killed it for me. SS1 was amazing when it came out. The plot really sucked you in and the atmosphere was terrific. SS2 was a lot prettier of course coming so much later as it did but it just wasn't the same. If they remake SS1 but pretty it up, I'll be a happy man. Just no respawns thanks, that poo poo is just dumb - if I visit every location on a level of a space station which is by definition a finite area, I do not expect to come back later and find it repopulated.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Count Uvula posted:

Yeah, more or less. The problem is this is a genre where if the single player content (level design, abilities, bosses) is boring why the gently caress would you bother playing this new instalment of the genre. That's sort of the whole point of playing the next Megaman.

It doesn't help mediocrity's case when the whole marketing spiel was based on the game being people's only hope of getting a new good Megaman game.

I mean, they may decide to have another shot with a sequel, but the people who trusted them have no reason to open their wallets a second time unless they self fund for round 2. The well of Kickstarter hasn't been poisoned for all projects, but it sure has been for the Mighty No. 9 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blade Kitten is also on sale for 89 cents. Part 2 is $1.49.

Does part 2 actually conclude the game, or are we still waiting for some mythical part 3 that will take the better part of a century to come out?

Anatharon posted:

Neither of those are very dated at all. :confused:

But yes, in both sschock2 and Deus Ex's case, you shouldn't play them unmodded.