Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

LumberingTroll posted:

So, we have been working on our Kickstarter layout, as mentioned, figure I will share what we are planning and try to get some feedback. It's not finished and this is the first draft.

Kinetic Kickstarter

Are you guys sure you can handle (rather, want to) having no limit on the number of crew members that you'll have to populate with backers? (Unless I've misunderstood -- tier 4). Probably not an issue for a sandboxy game with names generated randomly, but thought I'd ask since other game projects on kickstarter have limited that kind of contribution sometimes.

People love seeing their names in credits, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Occupation posted:

Fair point, but my objection with the whole KiF thing is mostly moral, not financial.

To be fair, the whole Kicking it Forward thing is, if anything, a very good PR campaign for Brian Fargo.

I guess overall I'm just pissed off because Fargo comes off, to me, as a smug douche who got his success on Kickstarter mostly by bitching and capitulation from a "moral high ground"- publishers suck, waaaah! I never got to make Wasteland 2, my dream game, waaah! Here, let me imply that the Fallout series is, as a whole, a failure of MY VISION to draw in the legally insane NMA crowd, waaah! etc.

And now with the KiF thing, it all feels...fake. It all feels like he's just calculating and saying the things that'll endear himself to the public so he can get more money. I just don't get a sense of passion or honesty from his pitches.

He feels to me like a 21st century snake oil salesman. That's the vibe I get from his Kickstarter.

You have very strong opinions (several posts at this point, enough that I recognize your name) on Brian Fargo's secret evil plans that require a lot of mind reading. I didn't even get any implication that Fallout was a failure in his eyes, just different. His video is pretty obviously trying to be funny (and fails on several levels -- humor is difficult).

KIF is heavily flawed (edit: no teeth) , but it's not like it's codified in kickstarter. Someone could do better. He's just trying to say 'hey, when there's some runaway success like minecraft that was helped by the community (I'm well aware that MC was not kickstarter funded), let's perpetuate that to keep self/crowd funded games going'.

They easily were on their way (made?) to making their funding goal before KIF was even a 'thing'.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 29, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

the black husserl posted:

Except that publishers really do suck and wouldn't fund Wasteland 2 so I don't see where your problem is with his statements on the subject?
Exactly. Maybe his problem was repetition. I guess he could have done less repetition but yeah.

Occupation posted:

After, when he started courting NMA's vote
... somehow I can't find myself arguing against this, though.