Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Quarex posted:

When is there going to be a Kickstarter for an smart ocular implant :(
Google don't need to ask the general public for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Jack Fool posted:

I have a real conflict with this process outside of even the likelihood of scams: I don't trust preorders and stopped after getting screwed three games in a row (elemental, alpha protocol, civ5) and I see Kickstarter as an even riskier way to do preorders.
The problem with taking risks is occasionally you lose. If you take the most safe route possible, everyone with an idea which doesn't pay off 100% of the time and pay off big-time (like, say, Brian Fargo) gets screwed. The reason for using Kickstarter is so people willing to swallow the possibility of a loss can fund the game they want to see directly rather than relying on a publisher staring at their profit margin like it's a pin-up foldout to swallow the risk for them.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

The most beautiful part is that even after you buy a copy it's not F2P :allears:
Unless you pledge $500 or more, which means you need to anticipate playing it for more than eight years for that to be a good deal.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Wesley Crusher-era Wil Wheaton or modern-day beardy Wheaton?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

quote:

DO WHAT THE WOMAN IS ABOUT TO DO BUT FOR FREE
MAKE A FULL FEATURE DOCUMENTARY ABOUT WOMEN IN VIDEO GAMES FOR FREE
SHOW PEOPLE WHO PAID FOR THAT SLUT THAT YOU CAN DO IT FOR FREE

quote:

No. We're not doing this to ACTUALLY help women. gently caress women.

quote:

The key point is the majority of the money goes to a charity benefiting women. Thereby exposing Anita as the Jewess she is and forcing her to do the same. Thus depriving her of her jew gold.

quote:

Why the gently caress would you send the money to women? The charity should go towards a organization for single fathers or male rape victims. Women get WAY to much support anyway.

quote:

Women charities do NOT need money. Male ones do. Stop trying to be one-upping faggots.
Ahahahahahaha oh wow. :allears:

I'm going to start collecting pullquotes for a text file called privilege.txt, this poo poo is nauseating.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I'm amused that they're using Indiegogo. "We're asking for X thousand... but we'll still keep the five hundred you guys send to us instead!"
In fairness, they're using fixed-funding which is the same model as Kickstarter.

At the same time... they're blatantly not going to reach their goal, and I wouldn't be surprised if Indiegogo lets you silently flip the switch from "fixed funding" to "cash grab".

e:

quote:

Men as sex symbols
ahahahahahahahah yeah let's see you pull that rabbit out of your hat

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

Have any of you guys actually used an iControlPad 1? How does it feel? How's the build quality?
The iControlPad is nice - the build quality is good, and the swing arm it uses to hold your phone works surprisingly well, but it's clearly a 1.0 product. The iControlPad 2 is very much worth your money if you feel like contributing.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

A friend of mine has just started an Indiegogo campaign for the game they're working on, Species. (They can't use Kickstarter because they're in Australia.) If you were excited about Spore and disappointed by the final result, you'll probably be interested in it.

One downside - it's flexible funding. I brought up that people on the whole tend to look down on flexible-funding when Jade told me the Indiegogo page was up, and the response Quasar gave was that he didn't choose fixed funding because it locks out a payment mechanism.

I don't know anything about Indiegogoing so someone more knowledgeable than me will need to say whether that's a reasonable objection. If enough people say they won't donate until it changes to fixed funding then I can pass that feedback on and influence his decision.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Apparently if you use fixed funding the only payment method is PayPal.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

miguelito posted:

the so-called Speccy (actual name unknown)
Are you being facetious, or do you genuinely not know it? I can't tell and I don't want to look stupid if you're just making a joke about these things being obscure twenty to twenty-five years down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

What's the big deal? He's not exploiting anyone, I'm sure the game will actually come out, and people who pledged will get their money's worth.
The big deal is that Kickstartering game development got big on the promise that it allowed the consumer to be more discerning about what games were worth funding and what games weren't, rather than leaving that choice to companies like Activision-Blizzard who would rather churn out iterations of a known-successful formula than accept any risk at all.

Peter Molyneux releasing a god game is about as risky as jumping off a log - he's an established name doing something he's established a reputation for, he could get funding from Microsoft in the blink of an eye. Him using Kickstarter implies it's just a way to get credulous gamers (but I repeat myself) to further accept losses by preordering before development even begins.