Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

How does one come up with rewards for Kickstarter/IndieGoGo pledges? I've been looking into IndieGoGo as a way to finance the last leg of the development process for an iOS puzzle-platformer, but I honestly can't think of any decent rewards. I need to pay my texture artist and such and right now I'm in a position where self-financing won't cover that.

I feel like I'm going to end up chasing a duck while screaming a person's name for $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

I think iOS is tricky because if you give away the game in the pledges, then it makes it harder to make the sales charts, right? Star Command didn't give out their game for that reason. Check out their kickstarter for some ideas (also see how hilarious and awesome their pitch video is):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

Music, exclusive content, well-designed posters/physical stuff, incorporating the backers into the project somehow (as a character or even just a thanks in the credits) all works.

This has definitely pushed me in the right direction, thanks!

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dixie Flatline posted:

Did anyone even like Leisure Suit Larry or did we just feel naughty because most of us were children?

Yes. Before Big got the license, they were a series of pretty good adventure games with a more "adult but completely immature" bent. That said, there's really no place for the franchise in this era. Aside from adventure games being really niche, this doesn't really seem to fit a modern viewpoint of gaming and storytelling in games.

It's like an even more dated Duke Nukem Forever.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Azraelle posted:

I was thinking about what kind of low-effort newgrounds-quality game would have the most potential for getting people to open their wallets, and then I found this game.

Stay tuned for my kickstarter for a browser-based seasteading MMO using Bitcoin microtransactions.

That poster is loving shameful.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Where can I get some large wooden crates labelled "opium"? I need them for my kickstarter project.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

So looks like Jane Jensen (of Gabriel Knight fame) will be announcing that she has formed a new independent studio, and will be doing a kickstarter for $300,000 to help fund their first three games, and participants will choose which of these games they want developed first.

Gray Matter 2, Anglophile Adventure, and Moebius (No Gabriel Knight 4 as she doesn't own the rights).

Information gleaned from an accidental leak at the countdown site for the announcement Jane will be making tomorrow.

http://www.pinkertonroad.com/

$300,000 is pretty small. I'm interested to hear the reasoning behind choosing that price. I'm guessing they already have some funding already.

I loving swear, if I have to make a loving fake moustache out of some loving cat hair to impersonate some fuckface who doesn't even have a loving moustache I will loving scream.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

OK I know Roberta Williams is still alive, what's the ETA on her showing up on Kickstarter.

Let's hope never. Her games were the most terrible popular adventure games there were.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

seorin posted:

It's because he's pissing most of it away on the printing costs for a lavish deluxe edition full of a bunch of pointless junk, and he refuses to decouple the deluxe version from the actual in-game enhancements that the average person might actually care about. The reason he won't do a digital only tier is because he'll lose money on the deluxe pack if he has to do a small print run, and he doesn't want to risk the kickstarter succeeding if there's only demand for 2,000 deluxe copies.

That's right; he won't do a digital-only tier because he's afraid too many people will buy it and make his kickstarter succeed.

The last two revisions of the PSP don't even support UMDs anymore :psyduck:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kind of curious, given how finicky Steam can be with indie games, mainly how they reject indie games without much of a reason or even with any sort of consistent policy, how are all these Kickstarters so sure that they'll get on Steam? Do they actually talk it over with Valve or are they just optimistic?

mutata posted:

They're optimistic that since they're a kickstarter with buzz that they'll be more attractive to Steam. I mean, it's a sure thing that Double Fine Adventure will be accepted for those reasons. There's really no telling who will get accepted until they're accepted or denied, though.

Edit: Backed Shadowrun due to the great video. In the past, I was never really interested in turn-based strategy or turn-based rpgs, but I guess I'll be GETTING interested because I've backed like 3 of them now...

It's almost exactly this. Lots of initial buzz, coupled with (if possible) good pre-release reviews and gaming news coverage goes a long way to helping an indie game get on Steam. That's the hopes, at least.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

nessin posted:

Just saw this linked in the RPS article about Shadowrun, in case anyone else wants to part with more cash:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Following up "the game's style is photo real, gritty" with 90s era CGI was probably a poor choice.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tufty posted:

I have those same reservations but they're an established indie studio with a game under their belt already that's available on Steam and they've all associated their full names with the studio so that stopped me being worried about it being purposeful vapourware. I'm sceptical about them delivering what they're aiming for, and I'd like to see some videos too - supposedly there's one coming soon.

Apparently they have been working on it as a hobby for 6 months and the Kickstarter is it fund the next 6 months with them able to do more work on it than they had previously. At that point it will be in alpha and will then be using an alpha funding model. If it gets some good buzz, the videos are promising, and goons say it's shaping up to their promises then I'll definitely alpha fund it.

If they could put out a video, any sort of video, even one with big "PLACEHOLDER TEXTURE" signs on every wall, showing things like their procedurally generated world? I'd be all over this.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Edison Carter posted:

New interview with Victor Ireland today. Another game he apparently wants to kickstart is The Idolm@ster. Apparently the big way he wants to take the creep factor out of it, is to make them into boy and girl bands in the vein of N'Sync and such. Fantastic...
Here's the link to the new interview on RPGSite.

Okay, I know a lot more about Idolm@aster than I really should given how much I loving hate it but the ONLY people that game would really sell over here is to the people who would absolutely abhor any changes to the format. Changes to things boy/girl bands would just make it kinda target the 10-14 female demographic, who probably wouldn't be into the management aspects of the series. On top of that, I don't think he gets this, but any of those changes would basically make it so it'd be competing with just about every music personality shovelware title on the planet.

Short version? Idolm@ster would never work in North America like he thinks it would.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I really wish I knew anything about the localization process, acquiring multimedia rights and game distribution rights for a NA/Euro, knew some people who knew enough Japanese to translate something, had people with the technical skills to work on a PSP title, and had the capital to make a startup and had several localized games under my belt so that I could start up a company to localize Valkyria Chronicles 3 since Sega ain't touchin' that poo poo.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

MaverickEX posted:

I guess I'm a little late to the initial conversation, but I've been pretty pumped for Kickstarter as a funding platform for awhile now. It's nice to see it getting traction. I've only thrown in on Double Fine and the Banner Saga so far, but this megathread has been great about highlighting projects.

I've actually been putting together an idea of my own, but I'm pretty intimidated by all the awesome videos people are putting together. There's really some kind of crazy art to these Kickstarter pitch videos. It seems like some folks spend almost as much time planning the video as they do the project itself.

Yeah. You have to consider that this video is you trying to sell your idea to everyone, so you need to take special care to make it accessible, engaging, and informative. It also has to be really carefully balanced so you aren't too much of one and not enough of the others. You also have to be keenly aware of your target funding group and how to specify it to them.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

So what you're saying is that someone looked at the Your World kickstarter and thought "yeah, that looks pretty solid"?

A young millionaire who made almost all his money from the lottery did. You can draw a lot of conclusions from that.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

SparkTR posted:

Even more baffling is this abomination.

$22! Of a $1,500 goal? Even I'd have made a pity pledge to have bumped that up to $100 just so they wouldn't feel so bad.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Nooo don't do that. The last thing someone like that needs is encouragement.

They'd still feel bad, just not as bad. And they wouldn't have even come within 10% of their goal so I doubt they'd try again.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Megazver posted:

Looked around for more stuff to fund on Kickstarter. There's this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1424869054/tortured-hearts-or-how-i-saved-the-universe-again?ref=category

On one hand, it's a huge RPG by some unknowns. On the other hand, it seems that these unknowns have already done two really popular and highly-rated 100+ hour NWN modules. Have any of you tried these modules?

I like how it looks, it gives me a pretty cool Dark Cloud 2 vibe and that's always a good thing to me.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

IndieGoGo is an absolute wasteland. Is there any way I can use Kickstarter in Canada legally? Like some sort of company that is dedicated to this? Or is that not a thing?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

the black husserl posted:

After the insanity* of the Hardcore Tactical Shooter last day, how can you think this (or any big name) kickstarter will fail? They're already 1/6th of the way to the goal. It won't fail and neither will the Larry one.

*Its obvious that the developers/planned donators are standing by ready to donate big on the last day to scoop up what money they can

I never considered this and now that I do I realise how absofuckinglutely brilliant it is.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mutata posted:

If any of you are bummed by the Kickstarter hate in the other thread, you should go watch episode 1 of the Double Fine Adventure documentary and watch Kickstarter change a bunch of people's loving lives.

This would involve me having given them money when all I was told was that they were making a documentary that I'd only be able to watch if I donated and a game that is an adventure game. There was no detail on the game at all and a single piece of art that looked suspiciously like Psychonauts art.

I mean, yay, they're happy, good on them, but there wasn't a single reason for me to donate to that other than them telling me they were making a game in a genre. Even Shadowrun gave more details than that and their pitch was kinda weak.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

MaverickEX posted:

Oh hey, don't get me wrong - it's not a matter of not understanding. It's just kind of a wow factor combined with the thought that some folks are clearly spending a good amount of cash on a video that only may (or may not!) bring them a bigger amount of money. Considering Kickstarters aren't a sure thing, it just seems like a heck of a gamble to have an expensive video, though I guess it's pretty clear that it helps.

It doesn't have to be expensive, really, just well produced. My video budget is only going to be about $70, but I know how to cut corners to make certain things work. Just make sure your framerate isn't terrible, maybe read a guide on editing to avoid any common mistakes, never shoot with your back to a window, make sure your audio is clean, and above all else rehearse your lines. These are some of the most common things people mess up but they're nowhere near as hard to avoid as you'd think if you take care.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 6, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

ShinAli posted:

What could they say about an adventure game? As much I love the genre, they only have story and puzzles going for them, neither of which you'd want to know about before you play it other than it is well written/designed. The only way you can get anyone feasibly interested in the project without showing it before hand is if people know you can make a decent adventure game, which both Schafer and Gilbert are very well known for. I don't see it any better off than the Shadowrun kickstarter (which I've backed as well).

Give a rough idea of the genre of the narrative, maybe the art style too. Even the loving setting would have been nice. This is from the guy who brought us Grim Fandango, full-throttle, and was a co-writer on my two favourite Monkey Island games, so it's pretty clear there's a wide range of ways he can craft an adventure game. However, he revealed piss all about the project and basically asked for money on virtue of his name rather than that of the project.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I fairness, they didn't have an idea because, it seems to have been done almost as a 'why not try it' experimental lark to employ 2-3 people for a few months to make a short flash-quality adventure game. They had no idea it would become a phenomenon in the way it did. If Tim Schafer had realized he was, ultimately, pitching a full-fledged $3,000,000 'real' adventure game we probably would have seen a very different pitch.

If this was in any way true, they wouldn't have had the overfunding goals and they wouldn't have been making a documentary.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The original pitch was that they would consult the backers on everything. The doc wasn't about making a normal game, it was about developing a game with the constraints of a crowdfunded budget and user approved ideas. I don't think they had overfunding goals until after they got overfunded and realized it was going to be something totally different.

Also, I think we disagree about what's important because setting and art style are nowhere near as important to me as gameplay mechanics and trust that the people pitching can deliver something entertaining.

And they may deliver an absolutely hilarious tale of taking care of my crippled fish-brother in post-war France, but I wouldn't want to fund that.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why not? If it's genuinely funny and has good puzzles and does interesting things with the concept, which is what I trust they'd do with any concept they come up with, then I have no problem with that or anything else they'd reasonably come up with. I mean if you don't like adventure games fair enough, but a good game designer can turn even the most mundane idea into gold, while a mediocre one can turn even the most creative and exciting one into a mess.

I do like adventure games, but I want to know what I'm getting into before I throw money at something. This was little more than financing a name, which, frankly, bothers me.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But so are the other kickstarters. Shadowrun and Wasteland are just funding names too, it's just that those names include an IP and a setting. Turn based RPG says as much as adventure game in terms of actual content and design. None of those game pitches gives a real idea of scope or mechanics, confidence that they understand gameplay balance, or any of the dozens of things that I do wish these kickstarters addressed. I get what you're saying and I understand why it bothers you, it would be nice if these games were pitched with more concrete goals and it probably sets unrealistic expectations, but the fixation on setting just seems strange to me. I almost didn't play Full Throtle when it came out because "why the gently caress would I want to play a biker?" Glad I trusted Lucas Arts and did, though. $15 to see how this turns out is not a high price to pay.

And an IP and a setting is a great start! Especially when you do things like go "we realise that there were things done wrong with the IP. Here is what we are doing." I don't need a scope of the mechanics but I need something a lot more than "Tim Schafer."

"Turn-based RPG set in the Shadowrun universe" isn't a lot to go on, and until the pre-weekend update, I won't give them money either. But it's a hell of a lot more information about what's going on than Tim Schafer delivered. I am familiar with Shadowrun, so I know what to expect. I know how it works as an RPG, so it's easy to extrapolate how it would work in a turn based setting. I know Tim Schafer can make an adventure game, but I am pretty picky about those because a lot of them are complete poo poo, and Brutal Legend is enough to give me pause about Schafer to the point where I'm not giving him money for no information.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 6, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mutata posted:

If anyone thinks Kickstarter is anything but glorified charity drives, then I question their intelligence. Especially if their explanation if it involves the word "investing".

That's 100% what they are and I love it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

On top of all this, if these projects succeed financially after funding, it may show publishers that genres thought dead still have a place in the modern market.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

dvorak posted:

I'm pretty sure that's something we'd all like to see happen. So for better or worse, or even if every single one of these games totally blow, publishers will try to make more of these kinds of games again to gain market share. More games like the ones we like gives us a better chance of getting awesome games.

It's really a win for us all the way around.

There's another win:

It shows indie devs that there's a viable funding option for games outside of trying to take out massive loans if they're willing to show something for it. Kickstarter loving owns.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Smol posted:

This really won't affect the AAA market, as it's not really a question of whether or not there is an opportunity for profit — there just won't be enough profit for the likes of EA or Ubisoft. But hopefully some of the smaller publisher will jump on the bandwagon and start funding games like this again.

Nobody's saying it'll affect the AAA market, but larger publishers do publish games outside of the AAA market already. What this could possibly do is show that things like adventure games, turn-based RPGs, and other games that can be made for a low budget (and $400,000 - $2,000,000 is a very low modern game development budget) can turn a profit in this day and age.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Occupation posted:

It's also not a charity because Kickstarter has made it clear in their mission statement, site description, and various interviews that they are not a charity.

They emphasize when submitting a project to make the reward tiers a quid pro quo type deal, wherein backers feel like they've received an equivalent reward per dollars invested.

They also (as far as I know) do NOT allow charity projects or any projects that do not produce a product on the site.

They don't allow charities because that opens up a whole bunch of legal issues for them. Kickstarter, however, is basically a charity reward-drive like you see on poo poo like PBS.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

But in the case of games it's pre-ordering. Not too different from pre-ordering something like Skyrim. Hell, you can preorder the next SimCity now from EA and it won't be out until 2013 sometime. Just like Wasteland!

Also, it's a good thing nobody needs to understand Kickstarter in order for it to work! :xd:

Not all games come with a pre-order:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

If you're making a game that's going to cost $2-$5, giving it away on Kickstarter is going to murder your iOS sales numbers.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Miijhal posted:

Oh god, Ron Paul: The Game.

And it's met its goal. That is potentially going to be released onto the world.

The level of irony here is absolutely astounding.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Cracky posted:

The Yogscast video is just poor taste.
They had a big twitter bitchfight with Notch over some bullshit that happened at Minecon and from time to time they still sneakily try to shoe in some jokes at his expense. Nothing wrong with trying to monetize your youtube views, but their announcement could use a bit more subtlety.

There wasn't a Twitter bitchfight at all. Notch went on Twitter and called them ungrateful jackasses. The Yogscast held their tongues until they released an official statement like four days later while their site was pretty much continually DDoS'd by Notch's fans who had only heard his side of the story, which was things like "THEY SWORD AT KIDS" and "THEY EXPECTED TO GET PAID."

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

dvorak posted:

I watch the Yogscast videos from time to time when they check out something unusual, like this crazy Korean MMO they have been playing lately. I've got no idea what this game they are trying to make even is, though.

Yeah, and that's a definite problem. I hope they make another video, preferably updated to provide more information for people who aren't fans of their various Minecraft videos. Maybe include that with stuff that points out that they're working with a studio and not on their own, since right now it looks like just them trying to make a game if you only watch the video.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I posted this in the Minecraft thread, but Notch has weighed in on the Yogscast kickstarter.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So is it press then?

Yes.

More accurately, it's exposure, which comes from marketing, which comes from knowing how to sell an idea. If you want anyone, ANYONE to notice this, you're going to have to actually put yourself out there and get every possible person you can looking at the project and then interested in it. This is nothing new at all and is a fundamental part of marketing, which these people will have to do to make sure people play the games after they get made as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's odd they'd put themselves up as competent managers of this though, having never produced or designed games.

Except that's not really what's going on here. They're not even presenting themselves as managers at all, but rather as characters. Not as in in the game, but as in the characters they are when doing SoI and pretty much all their other youtube vids. They're presenting themselves as marketers and marketing material, which is 100% where there strengths lie.

quote:

And then to basically propose a clone game no less of Minecraft... seems like a waste of a project.

Which it... isn't? Nothing that is being proposed there is outside the realm of feasibility with the engine being used, especially with anyone who has done any development work at all. Yes, procedural content is hard. No, Notch isn't some sort of super genius who managed to find a novel way of doing things. Almost the opposite, in fact.

What's being proposed here is more everything Minecraft isn't, which is to say a way of providing things like adventure maps and adventure map content without having to fight some pretty severe game limitations.

quote:

It will end up being a novelty product with their avatars in it.

Nothing in the video says otherwise.