Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Saoshyant posted:

I kid you not: I immediately pledged. Absolutely loved the video. Shame, though, it won't happen. It's impossible to reach that goal with so little time left and nobody knowing about this project. And this is why the Kickstarter fad for game development won't become a serious alternative to create games any time soon; unless you are a big name, the media won't tell people about your project and, without people knowing about your project, it won't get enough funding. There will be a few exceptions to this, but in the long run this will apply to nearly every project.

vvvvv not to mention it takes far more money to develop for every different, little Android model.

Check the Updates tab - the games will still be released.

That's gotten me thinking. Has any game Kickstarter ever threatened 'if this Kickstarter fails, this game you like will never be released/rereleased EVERRRRRRRRRRRR'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Der Shovel posted:

Me too, dude made loving Shadowgate and Deja Vu! I played those so much as a kid, plus I love Sherlock Holmes even if it's a cheesy second grade Sherlock Holmes. What a bummer it won't happen :(

Again: reading is fun and informative.

"The Sherlock Holmes Kickstarter's most recent update posted:

Q: If the campaign doesn't reach the goal, what is the fate of dear Dr. Watson?
A: I tried my best to be up front that this campaign was NOT about funding or kickstarting (heh) my company (I mean, $55,000 doesn't go very far). In fact, the amount wouldn't be enough to pay taxes on the pledges. It was about getting others involved and on the game team and getting the games released in a timely way. We will continue to work on these mysteries and release them as we are able.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/YenYurki

Huh.

Concerning one statement in their description: Captain Tying Knots.

Edit: Although that particular fundraiser doesn't mention it, how common is it for fund-raising developers to, as previously mentioned, have NO experience with hiring people to work on a game, and thus likely have no idea what to look for in a sound guy/graphics guy/etc., how much to pay, etc.?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 28, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Hostile Rabbi posted:

I want this to succeed because it seems really interesting, but I don't think the guy really has the production chops to see the thing through to completion. Hopefully he can team up with some known studio to make the game, but until then I think I'm out.

Actually, that's what exactly they're doing... sort of. Apart from pre-production and quality assurance, they're going to farm it out to Virtuos, a game production company with development centers in China.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'm mixed on Carmageddon. On the one hand, it was a loving amazing game when I was younger. On the other hand, so was Duke Nukem 3D and we all saw how Forever turned out. I know Duke Nukem Forever had its own set of problems but I have to wonder if this will feel as anachronistic as it did.

There probably won't be nearly as much of a problem with sexism. Max Damage is an equal opportunity murderer.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The second attempt at funding the 1986 Portal remake is up.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

TunaSpleen posted:

Wow, less than a day in and Tex Murphy is already over 25% funded and they've announced that the DLC (previously available to backers at the $150 tier and above) will be lowered to the $15 tier and above. I can't help but think about how whiny and self entitled people are when it comes to DLC--

"Wahhhh I'm only paying $15 for a complete PC game but I think I should get the same non-plot-relevant bonus snarky comments and easter eggs as someone who paid ten times more than me! I don't want to have to spend $5 to get it later and still only pay a third of what this game would sell for in a store!"

My own concern was that it would never be made generally available later for any price. Five dollars is okay. Infinity dollars, not so much.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 16, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Megazver posted:

So which games in the series would I need to play if I wanted to check out this Tex Murphy thing?

The first two (Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum) are acquired tastes. The next two, Under a Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, are the most popular. The fifth, Overseer, is not as famous and is an in-universe retelling by Tex of the first game. I'd say start with Under a Killing Moon, then go forward from there if you like it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I want an open-world Discworld RPG where you play members of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, with each character you have providing you with different skills and abilities in combat and conversations. Carrot and Angua can tank, use Detritus' Piecemaker to clear obstacles, use the Nobbs Sidle to sneak past enemies in the middle of combat, pilot pigeons as Wee Mad Arthur etc.

Isn't the Watch getting a TV series? If Game of Thrones got a game...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The Tex Murphy kickstarter doesn't look too good, according to Kliktraq's graphs. I'm not sure whether an end-spike can save the day.

Rhandhali posted:

Game of Thrones did get a game and it was AWFUL. There's an RPG that supposedly came out on the 15th, I haven't seen or heard anything about it though. It's the same crew that did Blood Bowl and the horrible game I just liked so it could go either way.

The one you know nothing about is the one I'm talking about. I know nothing about it either! TYPICAL INTERNET DISCUSSION.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 21, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

benzine posted:

Probably his own money to encourage backers.

It's been mentioned before that this is forbidden and, unless the person who does it is clever enough, detectable.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

There's another possibly infamous Kickstarter practice I've heard about. It's definitely a real practice, but I don't know how infamous it is. Is there a stigma against Kickstarters for projects that will still go ahead if the Kickstarter fails? Appearantly, some people were somewhat unhappy with the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Kickstarter's announcement that the rereleases would still come out even though the fundingraising failed.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Iacen posted:

You're right, the graphs doesn't look pretty. But that doesn't detract from the fact that in a week, the Kickstarter has been pledge half the required amount. And by now articles about it has started popping up, so who knows?

We're currently in what I consider to be the 'second wave' of Kickstarter comebacks. The first wave saw five successes: Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Leisure Suit Larry, Pinkerton Road and Shadowrun. Contenders for being second-run successes so far are Tex Murphy, the Two Guys From Andromeda, Carmageddon, Word Realms (from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing) and the Twilight Zone pinball sim. I'm keeping an eye on how many succeed.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

In a bizarre twist, Al Lowe has begun a second Kickstarter to bring back another of his properties - this time, a failed project to which he owns the rights (meaning this one won't be at the barely-existent mercy of Codemasters) - Sam Suede.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Huh, I didn't see that. I have no idea how this is going to end. I'm also not familiar enough with the American legal system to know how long the case will take. And I also don't know whether Kickstarter itself will take action.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Barudak posted:

And yet there she is sitting in a hot-tube with no sign of a swimsuit on the cover of Soft-Core Adventures.

In the manual for the Leisure Suit Larry collection, Roberta's face on the cover has been obscured, undoubtedly as a result of her own demand. Al Lowe's face was chosen to replace it.

That wasn't a joke I was making, by the way. If it were a joke, I still would have said it, or something similar, but nope.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 13, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Really surprised Tex Murphy ended up getting more than the Jane Jensen kickstarter. I figured that series was much lower on the totempole, but I'm not complaining. I can't believe we're actually getting a new FMV adventure game.

The actual game content was probably a factor. 2D broody psychic antique store owner vs. live-action hardboiled post-apocalyptic private dick; who's gonna win? The details of the former weren't even revealed until part-way through, before which there was only Jane Jensen's Gabriel Knight (2D/live-action broody bookstore owner with mysterious birthright/duty) series as a reference.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 16, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

cydereal posted:

Yeah, it's the game plus the beta and soundtrack. They actually won't let us change that text either. I'll FAQ it.

There actually is a way to change a backer reward by replacing it. Just change the erroneous reward's backer limit to the number of backers it currently has, so nobody will be able to select it any more. Then create a new backer reward level with the same price and updated text. It's kludgy and potentially confusing but it works.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 21, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: beaten.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Well, gently caress me. I would love to see more Broken Sword. I do hope they "fix" those voices used in the video, as they are terrible.

vvvv Runaway has always felt like a Broken Sword knock off; I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suit with a Kickstarter of their own.

Actually, they're using a different site to crowdfund their next project. (Edit: beaten)

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Voice Talk: Nico sounds very off to me, though I've only played the second game and it looks like her VA then only worked on that one.

She's had a different voice actress in every single game in the series. The only one they managed to get one to come back was the first, for the first game's remake. Ironically, George has always had the same voice actor, even in this new one.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 26, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

mutata posted:

And Gearbox owns the Duke Nukem IP now, I believe.

3D Realms claims to still own the IP. When Gearbox announced Forever, a rumor went around about how the DS game Duke Nukem Critical Mass had been canceled as a result. On Twitter, 3D Realms got all huffy and said that it hadn't been canceled and that they own the IP, and not some third party developer. Yes, that's pretty much how they phrased it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I've just realized something. Does anyone else think that the popularity of Kicstarter may have been a factor in the creation of Steam Greenlight? Valve may have realized that with all those well-known Kickstarter game projects succeeding, when those games are completed, they'd be submitted to Steam and several would probably turned down (without so much as an explanation, as per Valve's policy), resulting in grumbling and anger that Steam wouldn't be able to easily address. So, instead of potentially having to deal being seen as a faceless EA-esque corporate monster, they nipped the problem in the bud with Greenlight. Not only will preventing the big popular projects from being passed over allow them to avoid controversey, they'll also be able to reap the rewards to supporting them.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 29, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I guess I wasn't thinking. Sorry.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 29, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Hanlon's Razor applies here: never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Doing otherwise just makes people your enemies at worst and gives you stomach ulcers at best.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Zojoi Games have revealed to newsletter sumscribers that they're going a Shadowgate kickstarter soon. Hopefully, it'll fare better than their dismal Sherlock Holmes one.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 24, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

CrookedB posted:

Hopefully it's for a sequel and not a remake.

It's a remake with added rooms and puzzles.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I still think of Dreamfall's ending from time to time :smith:
Although, I wonder if the fanbase really is big enough to found a new game in the series?

If Ragnar's crowdfunding effort's description includes, "If this game does not get funded, the saga of The Longest Journey will never, ever, ever be finished," he will become richer than Google sooner than you can say, "Do numbers even go that high?"

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Chef Boyardee posted:

Occupation and Shalinor, thanks very much for the advice. This is all very helpful and we had an official CORPORATE MEETING (i cannot believe this) where we discussed it. We have two physical rewards that are accounted for in the budget and have stretch goals up to about 250% (we will be lucky if we make it past 100%), although I am very nervous that they are too technical and dry for most people - they are mostly about ports. Are people interested in Mac ports? Console ports? These are options available to us but I honestly don't know if they are what people would consider worthy of funding. I'll need to study stretch goals a little bit more before we finalize anything.

Like I said before, the thing I am most worried about is contacting the press about this. We were extremely lucky with the original game - it blew up on its own and we didn't contact anybody. I have no idea HOW to approach people about this without feeling like I'm begging for something. What do I say? We also will not have a demo ready in time for the press, although we are actively working toward a polished prototype for the middle of the Kickstarter and I'm afraid this will detract from our credibility. Of course there will be pictures, videos, music and other media (we have an ace up our sleeve!!) but I am afraid the fact that there won't be anything initially playable for either the public or the press is a big detractor. Is telling the press that we don't have anything initially playable, but giving them early access to pictures and information alright? How can I do this in a way that ensures press people will even care?

gaoierhgaoierha god i am so nervous i am sorry for being a big blubbering pile of jello

And thank you for your advice. It is very, very helpful.

Have you decided how you're going to manage the potential legal issues? For one, Shut Up and Jam's publisher in Europe was Sony Imagesoft.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Shalinor posted:

It is definitely not a Kickstarter yet, but Ragnar Tornquist just went independent, and got the rights to The Longest Journey back.

I would be very, very surprised if we didn't see a KS for the third game in the series soon. I am so freaking excited - the last game ended on a cliffhanger, and the writing has been fantastic throughout the series.

Can Kickstarters be started in whichever country Ragnar is currently in, or would he have to resort to Indiegogo, aka Shittyshitshit?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Occupation posted:

I must stress though: try to contact Andrew Hussie if you can and ask him to mention your KS in a blog update, especially because if you can tap even a tiny portion of MSPA fans you'll be good. They're...a very zealous group of people.

Homestuck is down due to Hurricane Sandy, and there's no telling when it'll be back up. Andrew has a Tumblr, though.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2012

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

That Greed Monger stuff is hilarious. It reminds me of Crimson Sword or whatever it was called.

It will probably be even worse than Mortal Online.

Crimoline Hats. Never not forget.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Guess what obscure upcoming Kickstarter I found official word of?

No-one knows what happens next
None know enough to say
But when Stauf's Kickstarter comes out...

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

How hard would it be to get actors (or, optionally, decent ones) for a third 7th Guest game? As Cemetery Gator and I posted concerning the Tex Murphy games:

Cemetry Gator posted:

For a lot of actors, it's an easy paycheck. If a job will pay them correctly, they'll take it, especially if it seems like something interesting or something fun. Also remember, a lot of actors don't have the luxury of just turning down roles because they might be a little hokey. They may have come to these actors during a slow period in their careers when they didn't have too many other projects, and hey, it might take off big, so what's the big risk?

Apparently, the actor who played Gran Moff Tarkin in the first Star Wars movie did so because he thought it would be fun for the kids. So sometimes there's also that feature too.

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder if this would apply to the new Tex Murphy game (which just hit its funding goal, woo!), or if times have changed too much for them to get anyone but returners, amateurs (including staff members, natch), starting-out actors and Q-grade established ones.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Dinictus posted:

Has Kickstarter ever looked at extending their available payment and backing options outside of credit cards? The only reason I could even back any projects was if they offered themselves any methods of backing via their own administration (usually covering at least Paypal or iDeal). Which is kind of a shame.

Paypal doesn't allow Kickstarter's 'payment only goes through if the fundraiser succeeds' model, and almost certainly never will. Kickstarter's FAQ once mentioned that Paypal was developing a compatible system, but that mention vanished without fanfare.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ClickerMonkey posted:

I agree, there are many games on KS that have nothing done, people rely entirely on imagination and story. I thought I was well placed because I have substantial game to show, I suppose with the type of game I'm making I do really need way more done - but that's the problem I lack the time and need KS to do this.

Maybe you could kickstart a Kicksta-- OH GOD gently caress IT RANDALL

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It seems to be implied to be a separate thing; possible a remake of TLJ, possibly something else. If it is standalone, they might find it worth Kickstarting seperately after Dreamfall Chapters is done.

I've sent them a question about whether they'll Kickstart it seperately if they don't get 2 mil. I'll post if they reply.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Your link seems to be a blank page with pixel art on, what exactly do you want feedback on?

On the idea as he described it, I'd expect.

Something similar has been done before, but I would like to see the concept explored further.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Have there been any crowdfunding attempts to get enough money to buy the rights to or license for an IP besides Homeworld? If so, how did they turn out?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 29, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Dominique Pamplemousse, the IndieGogo black-and-white claymation musical detective game, is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Unguided posted:

Didn't Sohmer take the money from his LICD animated series kickstarter and use it to buy something stupid or was that just a rumor? Either way, giving him money is a horrible idea.

You may be thinking of Jennifer Diane Reitz squandering her earnings form Happy Puppy.

We have finally come to the point where people are conflating internet hyper-egos.