Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pochoclo posted:

Here's a question for American McGee's American McGee, presented by American McGee.

How does it feel to have an ego so loving large? I mean seriously, how do you live with yourself? I'm not being ironic, I'm honestly wondering how you manage. You're close to Derek Smart levels, except your games are a bit better I guess (except for Bad Day LA, which somehow is even worse than Battlecruiser 3000AD and this sentence should be impossible according to thermodynamics).

I didn't even like Alice that much, but it seems to be the only thing worth a drat this guy has created, since goons are always saying how good it was. Why is he famous again?

I've noticed that he thinks that his name is enough to carry the games he makes. I mean he was patting himself on the back years ago about how cheap it was to develop games in China, so I have a feeling that he's just hiring the cheapest people he can find rather than actual talent. Because he's AMERICAN MCGEE and that's all his games need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It would look a lot less sketchy if you just picked $3000 as a goal, without flexible funding. Even if it won't cover everything, you already said it will cover some licensing fees or whatever. That's definitely better than saying "throw some cash at us, or don't, I don't care."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

No gently caress-pillow? Nuts to that.

Yeah if the rewards offered gently caress-pillows and $10,000 tiers for adding your own self-insert character the game would probably easily make it. It worked for that dumb gender change game!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

miguelito posted:

I'm not related to the project in any way, but the Son of Nor guys are legit - they have long-running threads on several German-speaking dev boards and I think I've talked to them once on a Jam.
So, uh, legit here means they actually have a project running and not a big bag of vapor with some purchased art.

And the Air Dash thing just looks like something I'd never pledge to, all the while I have to admit I'm not a Smash Brothers player. I looked up the team and yes, they seem to have a South Korean artist. I'm sorry if this makes me a horrible racist, but my first thought when seeing those artworks was "Yup, that's some Korean MMO drawing style right there" - honed to technical perfection and excellently crafted, but so incredibly forgettable.
Look how on their main illustration they just smushed together any theme ever, as long as it looked gamey - punk, demons, machines, steampunk, furry, anime, western, belts'n'zippers, cyber parts, medieval weaponry, modern fashion, fetish gear, realistic, deformed, stylized, wacko Final Fantasy fashion, cartoon, Asian, Western, Wakfu, catgirls, loli, WoW... All without a coherent theme or any sort of message.

I know this sounds very damning, but you're trying to appeal to Smash fans here - and for that you better get some personality up in that game. Because while tournament nuts might want to play no-fun hardcore frame-counting matches, they all started playing it to be Fox McCloud with a laser going pew pew pew. And that hook doesn't seem to be present here, as far as I can see.

Yeah, I like Super Smash Brothers because I know who the characters are. That picture just made me wonder "why do I want to battle these characters again?"

Plus the guy who is "a cat wearing clothes. that's it" is such lazy design.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's sad is that even though Buckley is a terrible artist and a terrible person and there is all this legitimate criticism against him, diadem is just going to write it all off as "internet people having a dumb internet grudge." I'll be surprised if he responds in a way that isn't defensive.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Falcon2001 posted:

Hey whoa what the gently caress? I think that's a little beyond the pale there. Them contracting him for a single card art doesn't make them in any way accomplices to his lovely previous behavior. Seriously, what the gently caress, man?

Disregarding all other things, why pay him for card art when, next to all of the other artists, his work looks like amateur hour?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Falcon2001 posted:

I'd absolutely never hire the guy myself or let him near a project I worked on, but that doesn't mean that they deserve the quote I replied to.

I think I quoted the wrong post, sorry. In any case, his art is shameful next to the other art shown off by diadem that is being used in the project.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Moon Monster posted:

As someone who hasn't played Shantae, which I imagine is a lot of people, I can't really tell why it's supposed to be better than any other cartoony platformer. No shortage of those.

Well it's by people who are actually good at making cartoony platformers, and have a long list of past releases to prove it, as opposed to any number of random nobodies. I've played Shantae: Risky's Revenge and enjoyed it and will probably pick up the Shantae game that's coming out soon (not this one) but I don't really have any loyalty to the particular character. I just know that it's going to be solid regardless.

Maybe we can get WayForward to revisit Sigma Star Saga next? I'd totally throw down money for that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sunning posted:

I checked out the names behind the game and they're most of them are legitimate. They seem to know their audience and have had a steady stream of backers. But if anyone feels that it's an awful kickstarter then I'll copy and paste in that thread.

Pretty much any game kickstarter that's producing masturbation material is an awful kickstarter, what is wrong with you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JordanKai posted:

Even if the original Myst was real-time instead of pre-rendered it would look worse than RealMyst.

e: Also, RealMyst most definitely did not look bad in the year 2000. :psyduck:

I looked up screenshots, never having seen it before, but it looks more on the level of Morrowind than Quake II.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

epitasis posted:

She wears a skirt because Megaman is bad garbage.

This isn't Mega Man, it's MegaMighty ManNumber 9 starring RockBeck and his sidekick RollCall, robots created by Dr. LightWhite who fight Dr. BlackwellWily's 8 Robot MastersMighty Numbers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's kind of weird to pull "realism" out when you're playing a heroic character. There were some pretty drat heroic women throughout history even though they had to contend with all sorts of enforced gender roles nonsense.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I honestly wouldn't have cared if the developers came out and said "we wanted to tell a story about this guy" rather than dragging out "realism" and political correctness gone mad or whatnot.

But I mean even if you did go with the (incorrect) line that women at that time were mostly property and stay at home childmakers in the medieval period (that's more an early/late modern thing because in the medieval period labour issues required men and women to do a lot of the same work) you have to keep in mind that you're playing a heroic character.

Yes, it may try to be a realistic, low fantasy setting, but if you were playing a typical blacksmith the game would be about making horseshoes, going to church, helping drag in the harvest, and probably dying a bit early from famine or disease after never having traveled more than a few hundred meters from your place of birth.

So with that in mind, you can go and find many examples of "heroic" women who travelled and fought as much as or more than men from their respective time periods. For instance, Joan of Arc, Mary Reid, Anne Bonny, Hua Mulan, just off the top of my head, plus this entire Wikipedia category that I have just discovered.

So yeah if you're going to be playing as this badass hero blacksmith who travels and fucks up trained fighters in hand to hand combat it would be just as realistic regardless of the character's sex.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm pretty sure things weren't actually as bad as they're commonly made out to be (records show things because far worse under the formation of capitalism where the granted privileges and allowances of the peasant class went straight out the window) but yeah, I'll buy and eat a hat if the plot isn't a pulp power fantasy with a coat of GRRM-esque paint.

There's a lot of misunderstanding out there about what the medieval period was. A lot of people (and honestly, me too before I took a European history course) think that it was some generalized time period between the fall of the Roman Empire and World War I or Napoleon or Pirates of the Carribean where people had castles I guess?

I mean the transition between medieval and early modern periods was pretty much characterized by widespread economic changes that, among many, many other things, allowed people for the first time (in Europe) to say "women aren't allowed to do jobs X, Y, and Z and have to stay home and be property because of their sex". Before then you wouldn't even think of saying such things unless you really wanted to starve.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Clocks posted:

As a girl who likes to play female characters, I always find it a bit off-putting when modern games don't have that option, unless the game is particularly character-based with a good story.

If they had straight out said, "this game follows such-and-such male character on his journey to..." or whatever, then fine. Or if they just flat out said it was due to budgetary constraints or something. But going on about political correctness or historical accuracy (which doesn't really hold water)? Sorry, but that kind of attitude doesn't cut it for me.

Yeah, that's what got it for me. No one said anything about a lack of female character choices in, for example, The Witcher because the developers were clear that you were playing a particular male character (though I guess it helps that The Witcher was an established property and Geralt was an established main character.) They could have just said "oh, we're telling a story and the main character is a man."

But nope, they just had to go on about "realism" and "political correctness."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Axegrinder posted:

I apologize for posting this, but I think this is actually a masterful troll, rather than a guaranteed disaster. Can anyone tell for sure?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/663271199/the-edge-of-extinction-online?ref=recently_launched

I think it's a troll. The screenshots of code are a pair of demo scripts from the Unity website. I don't think anyone is actually braindead enough to think that screenshots of them would make them look like a skilled programmer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oxygencult posted:

Those assets are found on the Unity asset store for 50 bucks. Stay Classy guys :)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4991

I guess it's possible that they downloaded Unity, bought some assets, followed some tutorials, and decided that they're ready to make the next zombie apocalypse heartbreaker.

I mean when I was in elementary school my buddies and I wanted to make the next Doom and we got so pumped and when I got home I opened up QBasic and typed 10 PRINT "DOOM" and then just started at it for a while since I didn't know what to do next. These guys could be like that except that they're art of the Kickstarter generation so their Kickstarter comes before the "uhhhhhh" part.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's a really gross art style. Is that really what's "in" right now?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MikeJF posted:

It was a huge hit with Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, which did it extremely well and took the style mainstream, and since then there's been loads of people trying to rip it off.

I know it's all a matter of taste but I've found my new least-favourite video game art style. It's like an attempt at "retro" that completely misses the point that sprites in old video games had much more going on then being low-resolution.

I mean back in the day when people had limited sprite sizes to work with they found all sorts of tricks to make the sprites pop out of the background and have distinct and recognizable features. This just looks like muddy stick figures, if you can even see them to begin with when they're overlaid on top of the background.

Edit: The backgrounds in that look amazing but I find the character sprites to be gag-inducing

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 20, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nition posted:

Sick of Left 4 Dead, Day Z, World War Z (sorry, "Infestation: Survivor Stories") and Rust? Looking for a ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME? HAVE I GOT THE GAME FOR YOU!

NO DAYZ LATER

That's a repost of an earlier one with a new name. Also, Shayden 18 years of age. is a new member.

The screenshot of the script taken directly from Unity's website being used as proof of how good at programming their programmer is is old though.

Edit: I went through my history in the thread to locate the original: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/663271199/the-edge-of-extinction-online?ref=recently_launched

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's one of those things where it's hard to tell if they're inept or if they're inept scammers.

I mean, it could be that a bunch of kids downloaded Unity and some tutorials and dropped a bit of cash on the asset store and think they're ready to make the next zombie apocalypse heartbreaker. Or, some scammers who don't understand programming and game development tried really hard to make it look genuine but also wacky at the same time.

Edit: The $110k of fake pledges makes me lean towards the latter

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 24, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The fake pledges have been rapidly dropping off. I checked earlier and it was at $90k, now it's at $30k.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommissarMega posted:

I don't think it's them- I was on 4chan just now (a man has his vices, after all), and apparently they caught sight of the KS and decided to gently caress around with it.

Oh, that is most certainly the case.

And the project was deleted (for the third time) but this time the creator deleted his account. Is this the last we'll see of James K. Merrill???

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My favourite part about Gunscape is that you can tell exactly which FPS the different graphics were inspired by without them being direct ripoffs. I just can't believe how good it looks, especially after the last few years of people thinking that old games looked like Minecraft or GLSL demos.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Drifter posted:

Aside from my most favorite Wizardry 8, where else could I go looking for similar?

If you have a Nintendo DS or 3DS there's the Etrian Odyssey series if the Japanese styling doesn't bother you. They're the same kind of deal and are balls to the wall hard.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Where the gently caress are these fake screen shots and why was I not informed we were making them? I want in!

The official screenshots look fake enough. Seriously who designs a UI like that? It looks like promotional material where there should be a quick character bio and some bulletpoint facts, but instead is dialogue and responses. It would drive me nuts playing a game that looked like that (not even gonna talk about the hideous pony beast characters)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wait, the game was fake? That was a lot of effort for a fake.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jay O posted:

I do think the video is genuine to some extent: I think they were going to make a lovely game that starts off normal and does something within twenty minutes or so to, in their minds, ~gloriously troll~ the bronies and make fun of them for wanting to gently caress horses. (There are so many other more deeply nested things to mock bronies for, and calling them "gay horse-fuckers" isn't really very accurate nor funny nor does it make the ones making the jokes look like anything but bullies.) Probably assuming they couldn't really get sued for that, and to be fair, they might not, something like that was probably their plan.

When it started going sour because even bronies (and the people who hate them, goons, tumblr, etc., also attracted to the kickstarter,) aren't that stupid, they might have been able to save face, but they blew their "wanting to troll gay horsefuckers" load everywhere and well, that ends that.

Buncha fucksticks. Apparently the only thing more depressing than brony culture is youtube "personality" culture, but that's not really breaking news.

Oh well that's quite a bit more sad and pathetic than the dating sim would have been if it was made unironically.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whoa, that's really cool. After I first got the wall merging power in A Link Between Worlds I thought "oh great this is a really dumb gimmick" but Nintendo handled it so well that it didn't take me long to think it was the coolest part of the game.

I think that if this is handled well it could be really fun. A new era in wall-based puzzle-adventure games???

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Unity is incredible at certain kinds of games (especially first/third person shooter/platformers or physics games) but requires some serious wrangling to do some other things well, or at least a lot of gross hacks.

I feel like some developers should do more research before leaping on it. It may be an attractive option because it's so easy to use on the surface and is kind of trendy right now but making a snap choice on those grounds can really bite you in the rear end later on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

There's this polish Fps kickstarter, Superhot, where time progresses when you move: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375798653/superhot

Someone should make a Doom mod that does that because good custom Doom maps are almost like bullet hell games as it is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No Gravitas posted:

How is this not doing better? Maybe I'm a sucker for pixel art and time travel, but...

It needs crafting obviously.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

All of this looks really cool minus the player character.

That's because the player character was the only thing in those shots that wasn't redrawn from something good :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shalinor posted:

American McGee takes a lot of poo poo, but he didn't outsource - what he did was move to China (IIRC), and form his studio there. He took the "move somewhere cheap before founding your business" strategy to its logical extreme, and in the process moved somewhere i gather he wanted to move anyways. His team's solid, too - he didn't recruit poo poo talent - it just so happens that the games on a whole haven't been very interesting. Most of that can probably be laid at the feet of "superstar designer founder that maybe needs more oversight / isn't actually a superstar designer," as usually happens with old names.

EDIT: Oh, weird, I guess they're going full-on browser F2P portal now. Makes sense, given where they're based, though I wish stuff like Akaneiro had had a shot as a normal $15 title. :(

He outsourced... himself :2bong:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shalinor posted:

At last, someone has created a helpful rating system for Kickstarter risk. Though I feel like "is it an MMO" should be a whole other risk factor on its own.

"Is it an MMO (or promise persistent multiplayer with larger numbers of players than most games)?"

"4: Star Citizen"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shalinor posted:

So FUNNY STORY. I found out about this thanks to Derek Smart. He's a friend of a friend on Facebook or something. He was denouncing Chris Roberts / talking about how absurd the money was, because hey, he's ALSO making giant stupd-huge scope space games, and gets by on way the hell less.

When your budget/project/scope is so absurd that Derek Smart comes out against it, you've reached a truly special place. :allears:

It makes me wonder if Derek Smart would be able to pull of Star Citizen if he had the money and was willing to hire a bigger team than he usually gets by with. He's been making big space games for decades and probably has the sense to trim down the features list a little.

Edit: It would still have that Derek Smart quality we've come to expect but at least it would get done

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 7, 2014

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I can't believe there are people complaining about Steam's DRM in this Year of Our Luigi 2014 when it's one of the best things to happen to gaming and has largely done away with poo poo like Starforce.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

macnbc posted:

Saying "Why complain about Steam when we used to have Starforce?" is like saying "Why complain that the bread is stale when we used to have it moldy?"
It's still DRM, even if it's a less obnoxious and obtrusive version.

Some people just don't like DRM in any way shape or form. That's OK. That's why there's alternatives like GOG out there.
Some people are fine with Steam DRM. That's OK too. There's not a wrong answer between the two.

It's irrational because Steam's DRM is essentially invisible and completely unintrusive so people who complain about it are just doing so on ideological grounds rather than practical ones. The industry isn't going to give up DRM for new releases so they may as well use one that you don't even know is there unless someone tells you it is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The White Dragon posted:

Everything is fine and dandy until someone encounters a continuous rumble glitch and dies on live stream. At which point everything becomes fantastic.

As a nuclear engineer I'm used to designing multiple layers of safety interlocks into everything.

These guys, though... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Megazver posted:

So Sketch Tales is, uh, a sandbox procedurally generated action RPG + Drawn to Life. It's developed by some more of the former STALKER devs and the lead apparently sold his apartment to finance the prototype. poo poo, hope it works out for him.

I would say "don't quit your day job" and/or "don't sell your apartment" if I saw that but I guess it's too late for either :v: