Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Occupation posted:

And now with the KiF thing, it all feels...fake. It all feels like he's just calculating and saying the things that'll endear himself to the public so he can get more money. I just don't get a sense of passion or honesty from his pitches.

He feels to me like a 21st century snake oil salesman. That's the vibe I get from his Kickstarter.
Well, I haven't backed or followed project because I'm not really a huge fan of isometric RPGs, but honestly, even if he's being sleezy and douchey, if the end result is that some other kickstarter projects that have promise get funded from his profits, who gives a poo poo?

Even if he's being smug or something (I have no idea I don't know anything about the guy), it's not a bad idea, and if people don't like it they don't have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That video does set off my bullshit sensor with its infomercial quality, but that seems like something that could be very interesting if it were actually complex and had realistic negative outcomes instead of just being a souped up dating simulator. Basically, if it functioned as a criticism of the concept of the "american dream." I doubt this is the case.
There was a simulation game I remember playing a couple years ago called "Real Lives" that I think you'd be interested in. You can end up running someone who is born in a third world country who never gets to go to school and dies destitute from a preventable disease, or be amazingly rich when you start in a developed nation and the odds fall in your favor.

It's low on details though, I think this game is probably more along the lines of Alter Ego.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Valdis Story only has another two hours so now's the time to get in on it.

The Shadowrun one has less then two days left too.

I finally got a job so I'm gonna stop being a waffling jerk and pledge to it and some other ones I've been following.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2012 around 23:03

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, if the City Conquest game is a scam they put a lot of effort into it. There's a bunch of updates going into pretty good detail about the mechanics and whatnot. Over-reacted a little, I think. Still, someone out there seems to have kicked in like 8k for the game, so cheers to them I suppose. I'd get it myself, but it needs an iPad 2! Ah, well.
True but stuff like that makes me wonder if someone is like, trolling and plans to pull their pledge out at the last minute.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Quodio Stotes posted:

How much effort do you have to put into starting a kickstarter? I have a funny idea that I am going to set the goal at $100 and I will follow through with my promise to completion.
You have to at least make a video, so if you can't do that you can't make a kickstarter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Oh, and you have to live in America, right? Pretty sure that's a thing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, $20 for a rogue-like, and then he forces you to buy more if you buy in at alpha, I don't think he will make goal honestly, but I could be wrong of course.
In the description it says that if you only buy the alpha and then want to upgrade to the full version later, it's only going to charge you the difference between the two prices.

So you can pay ten bucks now to only get access to the alpha to see if you like the game, then pay another ten later to get the full version, or just pay 15 bucks for the full version now and save five bucks overall.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Spatial posted:

It's heartening to see the support for Sarkeesian's series. It's a subject which has been bothering me for a while now.

109K now. Kickstarter: From each according to his ability to each according to his need.
There's no way that kickstarter isn't going to smash past 2000% of its goal.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Shalinor posted:

The latest bid for big bucks goes up, and it's... a M.U.L.E re-boot.

Interesting-ish looking, though never played the original.
Well you totally can right this second! http://www.planetmule.com/

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Mq posted:

Ancient Domains of Mystery

http://www.indiegogo.com/resurrect-adom-development

Creator of ADOM (a classic roguelike) want to resume the development of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBYzELBqUE

It uses fixed funding which means it works exactly like Kickstarter so no excuses!
His tiers are kinda poo poo, but my absolute favorite part is the final one, which is such an audacious answer to the people who want him to release the source:

quote:

$50,000
Demigod

As above and receive the hard bound source code of ADOM for your personal perusal (that's probably something like 10 big tomes of source code). I personally will deliver the books to wherever you live and spend a weekend talking about ADOM, ADOM II, etc. with you if desired. Please understand that you will be required to sign an NDA with this collectors item to not distribute the content.

I like ADOM a lot but I don't think I can see myself donating for this, biskup hasn't worked on the game in what, ten years? And JADE took how long to materialize? He doesn't really have a proven track record. I don't doubt he'll make his goal though, I just doubt that we'll see anything worthwhile from it.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at Jul 2, 2012 around 20:18

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

This makes me wonder, has anyone ported any media servers like xbmc to android?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

zenintrude posted:

They will definitely be out of consoles at the reasonable level... at the time of this posting, they had 212 193 left.
I'm sure they'll just add an equally priced tier to sell more, they'd be stupid not to.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Antitonic posted:

Ouya is partnering with Square-Enix apparently, along with news that they're releasing FF3 outside Japan for !the first time ever! that's not on a DS or actually a different game. The original, Famicom version, except with graphics "updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail".

Admittedly, this does make it more interesting.
You mean the android port of FF3 that was released recently and is already on Google Play?

Square shits out so many lovely ports, even if this does happen all they'll do is add some button mappings to the game they already have out and scale it up.

loving poo poo, come on. Square would port Final Fantasy to anything if they thought they could make a profit on it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Thewittyname posted:

The Project Giana people just posted a new gameplay video. Looks pretty cool - like a mixture of Trine and Sonic.
You're not kidding. The level design just outright screams sonic the hedgehog. It looks really good.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Chef Boyardee posted:

I don't really know how to ask this. I'm working on a sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (it's not actually called that!! but it's a sequel) and I want to put it on Kickstarter. What is a realistic goal to shoot for? I think $25k is good but it's not nearly enough to do what I'd like to do with the game. On just the name/legacy/whatever alone, do you think I could ask for more? I'm not trying to sound greedy or anything, none of the actual money would go to me, I just want to know what would be a realistic goal to set for this Kickstarter.

Also, I don't have much to show now and I'd want to work on it for at least another month before I put anything up, but would a playable demo that does NOT include most of the features I'd like to be in the game and is not very representative of the overall experience a good idea? This would be like a proof of concept, that we're not just a bunch of dummies asking for cash but we're actually doing big things with it.

I'd really appreciate any advice you all could give. Thanks!
Holy poo poo

You make an awesome funny video, have a link to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, and a link to a neat demo for the new game (all of which I'm sure you can do easy because you are amazing) and I will throw fistfulls of money at you and tell everyone I know to do the same thing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Al! posted:

Isn't parody protected under fair use, even if it's for profit?
Yes

It's basically how Weird Al's career continues to exist.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

This is tangentially related, but fangamer is doing a reprint run of a bunch of their classic video game themed t-shirts. They're basically 20 bucks each, which is fair.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gamer-retrowear

It's already funded (after two goddamn days) so if you're into their stuff there's basically no downside.

If nothing else, their kickstarter page looks really good, fangamer knows how to design a web campaign.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2012 around 15:04

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Two Brothers just put their kickstarter out, the game looks really good from the videos I've watched so far. No way they're not gonna hit that 6k, anyway.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

The devs have said all the copies you buy from external sites come with Steam keys that'll work right now. The game is supposed to release on Steam sometime later today.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I just found Sealark. The video isn't informative but the text is. Looks like a fun adventure game and the goal is only 5k.

Game looks absolutely adorable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-adventure-game

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Yoya posted:

[its-happening-ron-paul.gif]

WARNING: The announcement you are about to read is canon.

http://www.talesofgames.com/2012/11...er-coming-soon/
I don't know if I could ever be ready for a world in which this game exists.

Day one pledge right here.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I can't wait until the Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter comes out.

In case anyone missed it from earlier: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

Look at those goddamn screenshots.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I got my Barkley 2 kickstarter reward today:

Its pretty awesome! I need a pillow for it though.
I really don't think I can handle how tsundre this pillow is.

This truly is the best kickstarter ever.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I searched the last few pages and didn't see this posted:

Pixel Pres: Draw Your Own Video Game.

You draw a level in some graph paper you print out, scan it with your phone/tablet, and the app turns it into a 8-bit-esque platformer level.
This is gonna make Shmorky poo poo a brick. Gonna send him this link right now.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Toffile posted:

I wonder how much of it will come out of the KS pool.
Probably none because kickstarter funds aren't revenue.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I think I'm gonna back the Boss Fight Books kickstarter that just came out.

I love reading about video games more than I like playing them I am some kinda huge weirdo.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

The stretch goal explicitly says hitting 20k unlocks the tier, not the game itself. It's not misleading, but it's kind of a dumb way to do it. It should have just been a tier to begin with.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Verdugo posted:

It sucks, because the book I want to read the most out of this series is ZZT, but I have lost all interest in the project.
A kickstarter making a tier you thought was handled badly is enough to stop you from spending five bucks on a pdf of a book you want?

I don't understand the standards in this thread sometimes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Toby should probably add some more slots to the custom monster tier. People love that poo poo.

I bet it won't be a couple days until someone grabs that 1k tier.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Grapplejack posted:

Can't you just switch reward tiers too? If youre one of the larger donators, I mean, you could just switch to this one.
Yes up until the kickstarter ends you can do whatever you want with your pledge. Change the size, switch tiers, remove it completely.

Undertale is all funded, not surprising. I hope it does really good Toby Fox is a cool dude.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Trapezium Dave posted:

This reads like a parody of an American McGee game idea. What is it with him and making grimdark versions of children's stories?
You don't gotta license poo poo that's in the public domain?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Original_Z posted:

The finalists for the fan-voted Boss Fight Book #6 have been revealed, they chose the most popular user-requests:

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy VI (Originally FF 3 in the U.S.)

3. Metroid (NES) / Super Metroid (SNES)

4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) / A Link to the Past (SNES)

Eh, to be honest none of them are really that appealing to me, although I'm not surprised there were so many votes for them. I'd rather they focus more on forgotten or obscure games like ZZT instead of some mega-popular JRPG that everyone's played and researched to death already.
Yeah I honestly think polling the backers was a mistake on this one, I figured the books were going to be interesting not just because of the games but because they were going to be about why these particular games are important to these particular writers. Everyone knows why Chrono loving Trigger is interesting and popular, not so much about ZZT.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

It's a neat game and I hope you can fulfill the American dream of diving into a vault of money Scrooge McDuck style.

I hope you have a ton of cool ideas on how to get through the game without murder when you start seeing enemies that refuse to stop fighting. Like that goddamn flower probably will.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

RadicalR posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-adventure-game

Is this the same Dropsy that's currently running in the GBS forums?
Yeah he posted in one of the updates but it really needs to get spread around a bit more.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Blackheart posted:

Oh, good to see this is still being discussed. I've been trying to find the answer but nothing so far, just how am I supposed to spare Vegetoids in the demo? I still have to get a 100% pacifist run.
Beat on them a bit and then try to spare them. Some enemies you just gotta beat the pacifism into.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Jesto posted:

Maybe someone could ask him if he intends to add that stuff post-release as DLC or free updates? Just because a stretch goal wasn't reached doesn't mean it anything but that it won't be in the initial release.

I hope.
From the wording in the kickstarter I got the notion that it was all stuff he wanted to add eventually but the stretch goals will let him make a more focused effort on adding those things, so it'd get added sooner.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I like the mirrored text on the space shuttle. Super attention to detail there.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I still haven't downloaded or watched a single part of the Doublefine documentary. Maybe I should get on that.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

I already have access I just never got around to watching any of it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007

Alcohol...
It's the water of life.

Just saw this in my game blogs feed:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...som-underground

Licensed sequel to River City Ransom. They actually went and got the licence to make this. And the video has GAMEPLAY.

«2 »