Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Broke my Kickstarter hymen on Wildman. I know one of the guys that's working on it and his level of enthusiasm about this is the highest I've ever seen from somebody developing a game. I'm pretty harsh about Kickstarter myself, but after reading what's on there I finally decided to go in at the $45 level. I don't really understand how they're being dishonest, though. Maybe I just don't know enough about Kickstarter to be able to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Icept posted:

Got to be honest here, I'm not feeling the Wildman pitch. For me, I'll need to see them demo a prototype of the actual gameplay before I consider putting in money. Right now it feels a little too much like Chris Taylor's "Would Like to gently caress Around with $1M" and not like something concrete. It's pitched as an RPG-RTS... OK, so are we looking at something like DotA? They already made Demigod which was pretty rear end according to most accounts. If it shapes up into something solid, great, I'll jump on board but it's too vague at this point.

They're going to be releasing more and more information as the month goes along to keep people interested in the Kickstarter, from what I understand. You'll probably get your information.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 15, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Here's an article that came out today about Wildman:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/gas-powered-games-wildman-hits-kickstarter-chris-taylor-talks-warzones-and-200000-year-timeframes/

Something I thought was interesting:

quote:

That makes Wildman sound reminiscent of Brutal Legend, Double Fine’s so-so action-RTS, but again, what differentiates it is the timeline. You start a singleplayer session as a single wildman (or wildwoman) on an empire-building quest in a world that evolves around you as you pass along its timeline. The speed of your passage through history has yet to be determined, but theoretically you could explore the entirety of human history for the past 200,000 years, with the world map evolving around you. “Early on the dungeons are caves, but 100,000 years later, you’re finding brick and mortar dungeons, from medieval Europe or early Roman sewers.”

At that point I had a question about how far it would go, but apparently it's pretty far:

quote:

Win a battle and you’ll take any technology that the enemies had – whether that’s a rock on a stick, the ability to train archers, or a plasma rifle. Chris gives the example of soap as a tech you might get early on. “Soap is wonderful because in early men it was a great contributor to extending life by staying clean and healthy. It’s one of those Civilization-inspired abilities.”

Seems really, really ambitious. I wonder how much of that will actually be in the finished project, though. It's also nice to see that GPG intends on kind of a closed Bnet model approach when it comes to multiplayer.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Shalinor posted:

That sounds cool, but it also hits my "this is over-promising bullshit" alarm.

Civ 5 can't manage to do a terribly good smooth progression through that much history, and it only has to deal with tiny models of people, AND it had a massive budget. Yet they want to do that, from 3rd person, in an action RPG, with a tiny budget? Eeeeeeeh.

Well, the way I understand it, is that a plasma rifle for instance is just a bow with a different animation that does more damage. Civ 5's progression is on a much larger scale and I think factors in way more than the (probably, mostly) cosmetic changes that would be in Wildman. I imagine it being more akin to progressing through acts in Diablo 2/3 where the aesthetic change is the biggest thing, and that's mostly how it's been described so far. I'm not an artist so I don't know how it works, but I feel like Civ 5 does have a way more dynamic aspect to how everything changes.

EDIT: However, I do agree that they are bordering on over-promising with some of the features. Hopefully the list becomes more concise as time goes on.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 16, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just a question for people who have been following Kickstarters for a while: Is it typical for successful Kickstarters to get a ton of donations toward the end from wait-and-see types?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Well, to be fair it means he's paying them all of their owed vacation time and (it sounded like) a severance.

If he'd waited for the end of the month he wouldn't have been able to pay those and gone bankrupt.

This is true. I just talked to my friend (one of the people laid off) and he is receiving a severance.