Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Master_Odin posted:

Guess the publishers were right in this case then.

It was a terrible pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Quest For Glory II posted:

I promise I'll be back with a whole bunch of terrible Kickstarters but I'm busy at the moment. In the meantime here is one of my favorite bad Kickstarters.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1531189219/bloodycastle?ref=search

Give candles to happy strutting skeletons! Make checkers bleed. Open the bonechest. You can even slide tiles!!!! It's so bad yet there's a weird earnestness to it.

Hahaha, checkers by way of these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhTYJGjc2g

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Pledged 25$ because I dig the reward and want to help out.

Also because I honestly don't think it'll make it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Also found Fist Puncher which looks like it might be a neat River City Ransom style game. Maybe. The reward tiers are a little weird though.

Man, that makes me incredibly nostalgic for 4 player Little Fighters 2 back in the day.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hahaha, Your World is 'kicking it forward'. :v:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaboobi posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/JustinMcElroy/statuses/186328300069715969

"Got a press release for "EA Team Up" where you pay to "jumpstart" games that interest you. EA matches player funding. #GROSS"

dying laughing, can't breathe

I really want this to be real, because it's really funny.

Also, don't think for a second that this wouldn't become a successful endeavor for them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blodskur posted:

Let's hope that the Kickstarter mods takedown those spam comments.

Oof.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Palpek posted:

"For $10,000, we’ll create a memory that will last a lunchtime. You will be flown (domestic airfare only) to Seattle to enjoy lunch, dinner, or a morning-after breakfast with Leisure Suit Larry’s Mommy’s Baby Daddy, Mr. Al Lowe himself." :getin:

I was gonna make a fat joke but when I tried to find an accompanying photo every picture of Al Lowe appears to have him filled with a child-like glee :unsmith:

(and lots of food)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Palpek posted:

There's gotta be some gif potential there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Palpek posted:

Holy crap. I think it, you make it :O

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

AxeManiac posted:

I donated since I worked on the two abortions called Larry at Vivendi, I owe him.

I must be really sleepy, because I read that as you having worked on the two abortions for Larry and Vivendi. Which I assume is the names given to the unborn fetuses? :stare: It's lateeeeee

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tsurupettan posted:

The problem with donating to this is that it is another Multiplayer-focused FPS which will likely die within a few months of release. :smith:

Whatever happened to bots, people! Whatever happened to bots!? :negative:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

r1ngwthszzors posted:

This isn't kickstarter, but RamBros looks like an awesome 80's throwback Metal Slug/Metroid game.

http://www.indiegogo.com/RamBros-Indie-Game

Yeah, I supported it yesterday. Because it looks cool and also, boxed copy.

In the world of DD I need tangible products.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah from a realistic standpoint it just sounds like too much to accomplish. And some of the backer comments are just sad:

"I am 13 and I pledged 500 I am pretty sure a lot of the yogscast viewers are not five and they can at least give a dollar for now after all the yogscast has done a lot for u guys and also when I am older I am definenty getting a computer before I get a TV."

Taking money from naive children. :(

i am 12 and what is this

Seriously, that's about as believable. I remember when I was 13 and had a credit card and 500 bucks to throw around. Good times.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
:siren: ATTENTION ALL GAMING KICKSTARTERS : STOP STARTING YOUR PITCH VIDEO WITH A GUY HAVING A FAKE PHONECALL:siren:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

randombattle posted:

The Wasteland 2 videos are all really funny.

Lies! The first one was amusing though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drifter posted:

How nice, her daughter's giving us a live action preview of the new game. :master:

Don't stroke yourself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rebel Blob posted:

So Mythic: The Story of Gods and Men, I guess it isn't really plagiarism, but they copied The Banner Saga's tiers and rewards almost word for word.

Hahaha, that poster.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Really, I just want a Limbo Of The Lost sequel Kickstarter.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's probably been mentioned already but I'm kinda sad that RamBros isn't doing very well.

It looks like a fun and fast side scrolling shooter from someone who already has several well done indie games under his wing.

I mean this looks like tons of fun.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

There's a reason for that. Not only is it in indiegogo which nobody knows about and the media offers no coverage of, but "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed" is the biggest POS and obstacle indiegogo is suffering from one day becoming a proper alternative to kickstarter.

Yes and yes. Completely agree. I just liked it well enough to contribute anyway.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

lordfrikk posted:

Hope Indiegogo gets it poo poo together and then gets media coverage because so many awesome games that would be funded in a blink on KS are not getting fully funded.

This a thousand times over. So many great projects that either don't get anywhere close to their incredibly reasonable goals or barely making it, when it clearly would do way better on KS.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

If you claim you can make a game if you reach at the very minimum an X amount of money, how do you keep making that game if you don't reach X? What will the money be used for, then? Make half a game? A third of a game?

You don't have a guarantee with kickstarter that if a project hits its fund goal that you'll get a finished product out of it as promised. It's a risk, but a calculated one. Bad projects don't reach their goals most of the time. You don't have this basic protection with indiegogo's way of doing business.

The whole flexible thing is complete bullshit, but I don't mind in this case because the guy has a solid track record when it comes to his indie games so if it goes into the game as he promises than I'm fine with him not making his goal.

But yeah, I'd fault no one in saying 'gently caress this' even in this case.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How is getting big name VAs a high priority at this point anyway?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Fake. Phone. Call.

It's tradition.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Al! posted:

At least it's better than.

"Hello, I've been watching you. I've always been watching you."

Nah, that would actually be entertaining.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Rebel Blob posted:

They did release this work-in-progress version of their poster and another song from the soundtrack today.

That dude is hosed.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo Doug Tennapel's Mothman movie was actually completed and released? That dude was working on that thing for over a drat decade.

Maybe he'll Kickstart a sequel to Sockbaby instead. :v: Or Boom Bots.

I could never give Doug Tennapel's my money. He's quite the piece of poo poo.

Neverhood was brilliant though, and I didn't even known he had anything to do with it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Haha what's wrong with Doug Tennapel? I've never heard about him personally one way or the other but I loved Neverhood and Skullmonkeys.

quote:

21st: Do you honestly believe that every country save for yours is some repressive autocracy devoid of freedom?"

DTN: Just compared to ours. We kick rear end.

21st:"Christianity: 78.5%"

DTN: Again, why we kick rear end.

21st: "You know, if you don't have will and die right now, your wife would inherit your stuff."

DTN: Neither could my gardener, but I shouldn't have to marry him to work those details out. I don't have a problem with anyone visiting anyone in the hospital... but we both know this isn't about hospital visits.

21st: "What argument do you have specifically against letting two adult men who love each other marry?"

DTN: The same argument I have against letting a man take a dump in the ladies room. And office appropriate for one sex isn't automatically appropriate for another, no matter how much a man loves taking a dump in the ladies room.

21st: "Lastly, i'm at least thankful you're not equating gays to pedophiles or zoophiles. That's more respectful than some."

DTN: Give me some time all I'll see what I can do. You realize this conversation is going to be used by your people to justify a permanent boycott of my work. They would probably use this argument to justify me not being able to visit anyone in any hospital while they're at it. THis argument isn't about laws and marriage, it's about cultural witch hunts. THere are a lot worse things than not being able to marry your same sex.

21st: "Right now, some states are, in fact, fighting to remove rights from people. Is that right?"

DTN: America has thousands of people's rights taken away every day. Take a number.

There was way more in the thread this was from (which has been taken down) but he said some pretty loving awful things about gay people and LIEberals and EUROTRASH and IMMIGRANTS AND THEIR HANDOUTS :byodood:

The above was all I could find of that thread, but I read it in its entirety way back and it was incredibly awful. This was in the beginning of the argument but it kept getting worse and worse and he just lashed out harder and harder.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pyromancer posted:

They should really put carmageddons 1 and 2 on GOG to remind people what it is all about and score some extra cash.
Surprisingly carmageddon 1 doesn't even look that bad if you use 3dfx version in DosBox - pixelated movies and menus will make you cry but race part is upscaled nicely with nGlide.

Yeah, people having been asking/saying this in every comment section of the Kickstarter and it's not addressed but just ignored. They really don't want to, for some reason.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Maybe they only got the rights to make new games but not distribution rights to the old ones.

Not sure. Apparently they are condoning pirating the original games on their forums though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mq posted:

Malevolence got funded. They released stretch goals which go up to $20,000. Unfortunately, since the game is set to release this year they won't be able to put that stuff into the game, so the extra money will go towards an expansion. I guess the expansion will make it even more infinite?

And in indiegogo news...

Dragons!
http://www.indiegogo.com/dragons

Graphics could be better and they don't even have a website yet but the game looks interesting. Basically you create a dragon, get dropped into a randomly generated world and start loving poo poo up and stealing gold for your treasure pile. There are different factions like wizards, knights and orcs you can do missions for or destroy. You also get some followers you can use to build defenses and traps around your treasure pile as dudes will try to steal it. Once you get strong enough dragon hunters will start coming after you. Could be alright.

Goal: $4,000
You get the game at: $10 drm-free, $20 also all future expansions
Time left: 23 days, $0 raised so far :(

This looks interesting.

Flexible Funding

Oh. :smith:
No thanks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Axegrinder posted:

Remember Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood?

Their creator, Doug Tennapel has just launched a Kickstarter for a hard-back compilation of his best sketches over the past few decades:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812253609/doug-tennapel-sketchbook-archives?ref=discover_pop

I had a dream something like this was going to happen.

He's a piece of poo poo though. He's not getting a penny out of me, regardless of my love for The Neverhood and Earthworm Jim. And his friendship with Mike Nelson.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What a broken person. Was going to happily pay for his sketchbook, too.

I had read through the entire thing before it was deleted (I'm pretty sure it was) and the stuff on GayGamer is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dude is a terrible person.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mug posted:

I don't really think anyone else should feel bad for wanting the book bad enough to pay for it, but I personally want to see the guy covered in bees.

This. I won't hold it against anyone for buying the book; the art is great and lovely. But I was in that thread when it was still up and it was way worse than that article on gaygamer or whatever leads you to believe.

Way worse.

So he ain't getting my money.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Shalinor posted:

Wow. A Hat In Time has made 5x its goal so far, and still has a week left. (Mario 64/Banjooie-esque collect-a-thon 3D platformer)

I really need to get with the times or something, because I wanted to back this but seeing as the 'physical copy' is just a box with junk instead of... you know, the game on a DRM free disc I'm withholding.

It looks so drat good but, and I'm fully aware at how trite and played out this sounds, I really want something I can hold in my hand and can install whenever and wherever I want instead of using something like Steam.

Honestly, if you're going to do the whole box thing why not get a disc based copy in there and actually print out that PDF booklet you're providing. Now it's just a box with buttons in it, as far as I can tell.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kyrosiris posted:

Armikrog may not make it. Yay. :unsmith: (91k needed with 30 hours to go.)

Sadly, I'm pretty confident the last hours boost will push it over the edge.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The guy who is tauted as a big draw and part of the project ("Armikrog! From Doug TenNapel!") is a really, really lousy person.

Some people don't mind. I'd like to see projects involving people who continuously and publicly spout hatred to fail.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, not wanting to support Armikrog is reasonable, but actually wanting it to fail leading to quite a few people being out of a job because of the opinions of one guy involved in the project? That seems short-sighted if not outright spiteful.

Not to mention the press already had a field day with it, so it's not like TenNapel isn't aware Armikrog could have done much better were he not a bigot.

You're making a project. You're throwing out a large placard saying, "WE GOT DOUG TENNAPEL! PLEASE GIVE US MONEY!". Doug goes to any website he can mentioning his bigotry and connection to the project and continues to be a completely awful human being.

So yeah, I say gently caress that guy and gently caress any project willing to use him as a draw to get money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Shortest Path posted:

Except the part where he's not. He has strong religious and political beliefs against homosexuals, and while that's certainly a negative aspect to his character from a lot of perspectives including my own, to judge the entire sum of his character from those beliefs, and to then judge his completely unrelated works on those beliefs as well, is just as lovely as those who judge homosexual people solely on their sexuality.

He has significantly contributed to several very good games, and is doing so again. The quality of one aspect of his person has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the product he produces.

Hell, you could probably look into most things you consume on a regular basis, whether it be other entertainment, or food products (like that Chic-fil-a fiasco), or medical care, or whatever else, and find people with similarly distasteful opinions on certain things, from your point of view, contributing to the creation of those products. None of that is relevant, because what you're paying for is the product that you are consuming. The argument "but I don't want my money to go towards a cause I don't agree with" is ridiculous because a large portion of the money people spend already does that through other means, they just don't know about it.

Yeah, no. I was there reading the depraved poo poo he had to say about gays, transgendered and liberals before he deleted the entire thing. The widely circulated GayGamer article wasn't even the tip of the iceberg.

He's a terrible person who considers some people less than human beings.

And yes, when I find out that there are vocal and hateful people behind a product, I stop using those products if at all possible and would suggest others do the same.