Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Demicol posted:

Didn't see this mentioned, ctr+f'd "strike" the last 5 pages:

Same, but different word, different game.

Distance is a spiritual sequel to a very successful DigiPen project called Nitronic Rush. Imagine Trackmania crossed with SSX set in a Tron-inspired world.

If you don't know what Nitronic Rush is, give this video a look or download and play the game yourself - it's free and VERY fun. Of all the racing games that came out in 2011, I'd say I put more time into it than Dirt 3 and Trackmania 2 combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Things are looking grim for Distance. :( The new gameplay footage looks much more interesting, they really improved the feeling of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZEn4b69eM

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

It seems like they should have considered release dates. All the people that are interested in those kinds of games can go get brand new versions of Need for Speed or Forza right now. It should have happened 6 months ago or 6 months from now when people are tired of the normal driving mechanics/crashing and the flying mechanic looks like a cool and fun new spin on things.

Forza fans really aren't part of their market but I can definitely see your point. SCE Studio London shut down just a few months ago and I bet they coulda snagged a lot more disgruntled Wipeout fans by starting just a few days after. With the amount of work it looks like they've already put into Distance, that should have been a real possibility, too.

MikeJF posted:

So... distance is Wipeout without weapons?

Distance is Nitronic Rush with exploration mechanics and online multiplayer. A lot of what Wipeout does to look cool, Nitronic Rush expects you to do just to survive the course. The central mechanics are the rocket boosters, heat and downforce. You need downforce to keep going on the ceiling, and the best way to get it before your wheels get to sticking to the surface is boosting. The hind-booster heats you up, and the only two ways of getting rid of heat are passing a checkpoint and doing tricks in the air. This all comes together in challenge runs such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJWd-gHlH8s

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 2, 2012

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A slight adjustment, then: "You can't make the computer the DM for more than combat"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

And despite all these flaws, he got 80,000 in the first day.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:hawaaaafap:

The amount of procedural tech in this project is nigh-on unbelievable and I love how much work they put into dev tools just to improve workflow. Now if only they could make the sword swings not look like the guy's drunk.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orzo posted:

Anyway, can you elaborate more on point #1? What do you mean the science of playing games

He means behavioral psychology. Valve does a whole lot of testing with biometrics to drill into just how players react to certain parts of their games. Left 4 Dead was the result of one of their more extensive tests, and part of the data the AI director was made to recieve and use was biometrics calculated from mouse movements.

Tests and research into behavioral psychology is also ongoing, and the best way to test theories in the field is by having large amounts of people playing games with extensive biometrics. This data is also important for development of Serious Games, essentially bigger budget edutainment titles used for both schooling as well as employment training in fields such as medicine and flight.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Eh, I'm pretty sure GODUS will get through anyway. There's always that huge ramp-up in pledges in the last two days, and it looks like in this case it alone would be enough to fund the project.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

We'll just get Eoin Colfer to help instead! :downs:

:catstare:

You couldn't pick a worse fit if you tried.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shalinor posted:

Radio the Universe looks freaking fantastic. It had the perspective of a JRPG, but looks more like an exploration platformer... thing - with fantastic art.

The music really sells this one. The game itself kinda reminds me of Valkyrie by Namco, but the movement looks much more satisfying.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Come to think of it, I can't think of an ad campaign for the PSP that wasn't utter poo poo. There was also those racist cartoons that tried to appeal to "urban" (read: poor black) demographics, which came with terrible graffiti in neighbourhoods that didn't condone them and without mayoral consent.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

To be fair it looks absolutely terrible.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Same here.

Is it any relation to the Monsters Ate My Condo and Super Monsters Ate My Condo IOS games? The naming's very similar.

They're both references to a popular naming format for schlocky '50s horror films. So are Zombies Ate My Neighbours and Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Distance is coming along nicely. Though the backer updates aren't really as frequent as I'd hoped, they're still leaving a satisfying trickle of information on new developments in the process and some things they're experimenting with. The latest update was them putting up a video they'd previously shown at this year's GDC and it's looking pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCDJHfhBfIg

vvvvv It's basically a sequel to their DigiPen student project Nitronic Rush. Check it out, all the mechanics are there and remember: stunts make you cool.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 11, 2013

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The alpha for Distance got delayed by a month. Their basic idea is that the first public release of their game (even though it's limited) would get drowned out in the marketing storm for the Durango and GRID 2. On the one hand I'm kinda disappointed that I'll have to wait another month, but on the other I kinda get why they'd do it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

He mentions Castlevania SOTN, but did he ever play it? Because that game had crisp movement and tighter-than-an-altar-boy controls. This is pretty far removed from that. SOTN set the new standard for 2D control. I hope he gets a chance to turn it around.

SOTN controlled great, but its animations were weird as hell. Remember, it had a pre-run animation that ran a full second. The difference is, SOTN had artists AND game designers working on it, so the latter could keep the former in check.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Darkhold posted:

If they really want that sweet JRPG money they really need to have more anime girls that look 13 but are really 1,000 year old demon vampires or something.

I'm honestly hoping that they quit the mainstream industry precisely to avoid resorting to that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Also, Inafune is now a blue baseball cap. (Seriosly, 2 Player Productions, that was weirdly directed).

It's a reference to the ending to Mega Man 2. I may have played a bit too much of those games as a kid. Colour me psyched, it's great to see another Mega Man game in the making, especially from people who're that experienced.

ImpAtom posted:

God, that would be incredible but I doubt a small team will be able to pull of something like that.
It's not that hard. Most sprite-based fighting games since 2005 actually used pre-rendered models. With today's tech, all you really need is just the right types of shaders and a really, really narrow FOV to make everything look flat.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 1, 2013

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Glad I'm not alone. Hyper Light Drifter seems to be getting a lot of hype because it's got a similar palette to Radio The Universe, and that's it. Radio The Universe looks really, legitimately fun and Hyper Light Drifter just doesn't.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Some guy got the license to the Vectrex and made a kinda cool emulator app thing that some people might've bought. Now he's got the license to the ColecoVision and a whole bunch of games for it and he wants your money to do the same sort of thing for it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jedit posted:

He wants a quarter of a million dollars to make an emulator that is available for free.

The emulator's free, but most of the games aren't, though you might get them at a lower price than for the physical cart.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but he has the licences already. We're not complaining about the individual per-user price, but rather the project target.

Honestly, I think replicating the ColecoVision of all things is kind of a silly idea, but it looks like they'll be putting a lot of detail into it. There's a modeled living room with lighting effects, achievements for every game and even video footage of ads for the games. Maybe it'd be better if they'd just dialed it back, put what they have now on sale and then use revenue from it to make those features possible.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

Some fighting game called Air Dash Online.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289882404/air-dash-online-the-competitive-platform-fighter

It says its inspired by the Smash community. Although I sorta question the $355,555 funding goal. Seems a little high to me, but then again, I really don't follow Kickstarter that much. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here!

Why would you make SSB without the characters? Wouldn't that defeat the point?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Who's to say I can't?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was this brought up: something about a ColecoVision app. I think it's an app? There's a bunch of 3D models showing a console, but they keep mentioning an app so I'm confused as to what exactly this is supposed to be. I don't even know what the market for this would be, as I'm assuming there isn't a huge market for pre-NES-era nostalgic gaming that isn't just an Atari 2600 clone.

Yeah, I brought it up. It's basically an emulator with a really fancy frontend and some cool extras.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Can't he just use one of the many CRT filters out there to fake it?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orzo posted:

I actually posted about this earlier this year, I was getting sick of all the stick legs. It was in response to this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jWYCXneCn8. There was a short discussion about it, some people agreed that it looks like poo poo and some people liked it.

That looks familiar.

Mind you, that's an award-winning ad for a bank.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orzo posted:

What are you referring to? I don't see anything that looks like that in the video I posted, did I miss something?

Mostly it's the preview image and the text at the end. It's pixel art through a really heavy filter.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Distance Alpha has been out for a while now and they even did a thing for halloween. It's not high-effort stuff, so I'm not seeing them wasting time on it they could have used on the game, proper. Still, what they have going now is fun, the most work I see ahead of them is making more tracks (and environment assets ARE being posted in the backer updates) and finalising the narrative for the game. There's videos out on Youtube of the alpha, nobody's under NDA and the devs so far have been really cool about users releasing footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Rgg8l9MW4

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 5, 2013

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why are the bullets almost invisible to the naked eye? Why does the jump look unwieldy? Why does moving around look so unsatisfying? Why have platforming when discerning your feet's position to the ground is next to impossible?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Coldrice posted:

If there's a mechanic of the game you dislike that's always up for debate. I'll be doing more fine tuning of these mechanics as the kickstarter continues. I've coded it to be fairly flexible and easy to adjust the run/jump/etc components. Feel free to post with me here about it I'm all for making the game better :)

At the same time though if you're unhappy about the art direction, which is what you posted about, that's cool. That part won't change though.

The jump starts too fast and decelerates too late, and the in-air sprite makes it look like the dude is falling all the time. As for the art direction, if you look at older platformers, the main characters usually had fat feet and for a good reason. Thanks to them, you could more easily tell when you'd fall off a platform, and time jumps off the edge of them. For just FTL-style ship management, thin feet are fine, but they're detrimental to platforming.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This video is great and you should feel great for making it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

So are these guys completely up their own asses or trying to take the piss out of people? I'm almost certain they were completely serious about their horrible game but now it's like they're just rolling with the punches.

They wanted to make a game you could laugh with as well as laugh at. Doing that while not being poo poo is surprisingly difficult, especially on a shoestring budget that got cut in half.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If it weren't being made for tablets, of all things, I'd be more excited.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Delusibeta posted:

the dog's presence made the presence of the woman worse for some reason.

Basically, it emphasizes the fact that the woman's role in the game world could just as well be fulfilled by a dumb animal.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm being optimistic. I think the script as it is probably has people acting and reacting to the player character in a way that relates to him being a guy, which would mean writing alternate scenarios for the female character where they react to her in a way that makes sense in her being a girl. Though, that begs the question of why they weren't going that way to begin with. The answer is probably a bit cynical.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I thought it was that the female character would have her own take on the same storyline as the male character, but in her campaign, the male character still exists and gets captured, as part of her prologue.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TheCoon posted:

It seems like a short series of quests at the beginning probably serving as a tutorial.

Aw. :smith:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:gizz:

This tickles the go-fast go-anywhere centres of my brain. But then it's an indie multiplayer-only game. :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Speaking of DigiPen projects, Distance has been in backer-only Alpha for a while now, and they released an update last month with a whole bunch of features, including a game mode called "Speed and Style" that lowers your time based on cool stunts you do. So far, they've been posting a lot on Kickstarter, but they've also set the game up to look up updates on their devblog. They've been doing updates about once a month, with a few brakes when they worked on less visible aspects of the game. Though, for some reason the update before that one broke XInput support for the Logitech F-series.