Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

Don't know if it matters all that much, but the Arkane fellows are finishing up on a little guy called 'Dishonored'.
SO there you go, I guess.
e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

Some info on Jane Jensens kickstarter, its a spiritual sequel to Gabriel Knight. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/16/jane-jensens-next-game-is-moebius/#more-104027

Also included, a video of her daughter walking through a barn.

How nice, her daughter's giving us a live action preview of the new game. :master:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PoisonedV posted:

Wow, this looks great, but, with Torchlight and Diablo 3 coming out, I don't think I can convince myself to buy it on Kickstarter. It's starting to bleed me dry.

If you like this type of game I totally think you should get in on the kickstarter. Every dollar that gets into it now will lead to a better game. I really do believe that. Crate is a couple of cool dudes who seem pretty drat passionate about making a god drat cool game.

Drop by the Grim Dawn thread and discuss random stuff. :blush:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 18, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

For what it's worth, I feel Titan Quest still stands as the best third-person ARPG ever made, and that includes Diablo 2 and Torchlight.

Why is that? What elements did it have that surpassed the other two big guys?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Saoshyant posted:

Well, bugger, I just put down money on Tortured Hearts. I really can't imagine it reaching its goal, but my Mother always told me to help a lady in need. The project doesn't look terrible or anything either.

I got to agree. Some of the flavor conversations look to be actually pretty well done. The whole thing seems interesting enough.

I didn't donate money (because I don't want my record to show I backed a failed project, I only pick winners thank you very much) but I did send her a nice message through kickstarter. :shobon:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a 16 year old girl posted:

Using a knock off version of the U.S. Airforce logo for a commercial project doesn't seem like such a brilliant idea either. But is this game going to have actual space physics like I-war had or is it going to stick with the way Wing Commander and X-wing handled flying in space?

And it doesn't surprise me that Tortured Hearts isn't really gaining that much support since pointing out that RPGs are full of clichés isn't really a new or interesting insight. A lot of gamers are probably already aware that RPGs are full of clichés and either still enjoy them because of those clichés or despite of them.

Maybe they have some brilliant concept for 'Discworld the Videogame' but the video pitch doesn't really tell me anything about the game, its setting, the characters or anything else that might be interesting besides the fact that they're going to make fun of RPG clichés and that they have uninteresting bullet points like the game has 200 areas, 500 NPCs, 100 quests etc...

gently caress. I didn't mean to reply at all to this thread. I will say, now that I'm forced to, that most of the kickstarter videos that spend time complaining for more than a sentence or two about specific states of industry or whatever just come off as being annoying. "ahhh bloo bloo bloo," is a good description of what they are saying. All the extended wasteland bits that had to do with Fargo getting rejected over and over again by publishers was kind of silly. Doublefine had a few sentences and then dropped it (from what I remember).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's cool. Where are your first two games, though?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rebel Blob posted:

It sounds like Dead State will be starting their Kickstarter sometime next month. They hold regular Q&A sessions in their forums, in which the lead developer says they are getting the game in shape to create a trailer from it and getting ready for a big press push alongside the Kickstarter.

If you haven't heard of Dead State it is a zombie survival RPG being developed by Brian Mitsoda (who has worked for Black Isle, Troika, & Obsidian) and his wife Annie Mitsoda (who worked for Obsidian). He is probably best known for being lead writer and character designer for VtM: Bloodlines. There is a large FAQ which gives a good idea of what they are going for. Basically after a zombie apocalypse the PC is a leader of a "shelter" which they manage, from which they have to explore, scavenge, recruit and manage allies, and deal with other survivor groups. Mitsoda has said that he intends it to be a serious examination of people in the midst of a world-changing disaster.

Jesus, this sounds interesting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

Please help fund Brian Fargo's "Publish It Forward" Kickstarter to start a publishing house that exclusively publishes Kickstarter games!

It'll be like The Breakfast Club, where the high school is all the indie games.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Iacen posted:

With these adventure games and old licenses seemingly doing a comeback, I'm eagerly awaiting the return of the Discworld adventure games. I have so many fond memories of Discworld Noir and I'd love to play another game set on the Disc.

I'd forget about that dream. For all that it might be a memorable setting for us, the author'd probably have a rough time conjuring up something worth reminiscing upon later on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how much was the system over how much was the writing. A good system definitely helps, but...

But yes, the overall dialog and system surrounding it was the best thing about AP.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh no, Absolutely. This was easily one of the best dialog systems that exist. As you said, the timing thing essentially made the dialog a part of the gameplay. It was an actually enjoyable way to present quicktime events. The flow was great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadley Puffin posted:

re: Portal, a Kickstarter project by Rob Swigart

I swear, Kickstarter is trying to bankrupt me. I loved loved loved the original Portal when I was a kid. It was a moody, lonely diamond-hard SF mystery novel wrapped in an interface that doled story out in non-linear chunks as you searched a proto-Net to find out What Went Wrong. More than Double Fine, more than Wasteland 2, this is the game revival I'd give my left eyeteeth and a kidney to see succeed and become an adventure game - desolate landscapes, decaying systems, actual hard SF. The idea of playing a game where you try to reconstruct the past by rescuing data from failing systems gives me an archivist stiffy.

The Venn diagram, though, of those who've played it and those who remember it is vanishingly small, and $900k is a steep-rear end hill to climb - probably too steep. Grrr.

One of you guys should put together a new thread for it. I'd post in it to help keep it visible for a few days. It's nicher than most things I've seen, and will definitely be overlooked in this thread alone. I checked it out and thought it looked pretty cool.

I found a super short youtube review of the game. There's also a free e-book novelization of the game written a few years later by the guy.
I'm definitely mildly interested. I wish I knew more about the guy or the game. It seems like the kickstarter would play as something similar to the Journeyman Project; would that be accurate?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Furret Basket posted:

There's also a BBC News article! Although they partly credit Reddit. :smith:

And FOX news'll credit 9gag. It's the way of the internet. :iiam:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
King Burgundy, yeah. hah. It really seems like something way unique for its' time.

seorin posted:

This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.

Oh man. That really does sound very interesting. I know I'd personally never use something like that to its fullest, but I could imagine many developers taking that path. I'd REALLY like to see it in action, like a twenty minute tutorial running through some basic processes.

Quarex, you could make your own magnum opus for Wasteland 2 using this tool.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Finally Mass Effect fans can get the ending they want, not the ending they deserve.
:liara:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadley Puffin posted:

One of the things that concerns me about the kickstarter, is that physical rewards enter into it as low as the $30 tier, with coins, medals and books all over the place. Spread so thin, low manufacturing runs of all those things can't help but chew into their budget something fierce. Still really really want to see it happen though. :science:

Edit: Did a head count. FOURTEEN different tchotchkes, eight to choose from at $30+ and a further six at $100+. Hope they get some discounts.

I'm almost positive those are all digital in nature. at the 30$ tier.
e: Holy poo poo, nope. gently caress. And the 5$ level gets you a mailed post card? Jesus, this ship is set to crash before it even gets built.

I'm with you on them making a smaller-scoped version first, to help build their brand and capital.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 2, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

InShaneee posted:

Oh no, that I get. I was more referring to the fact he seems to be kinda angry about the fact that she's a woman in the first place. I could be reading too much into it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, person. It seemed like that man just had very little regard for the games that woman was involved in, not that that woman was a woman.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Eisenwald updated to celebrate crossing 80%. They didn't post any new videos, but they did post some stuff about character creation, HUD, world map, party formation stuff. http://aterdux.com/archives/249

Looks kind of like a Mount And Blade unit upgrade system, which is cool by me. Infact the whole game looks like if Mount And Blade played like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, which just, drat.

That guy just seemed so happy when he tried to hand me that sword at the end. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, it's not done, but Grim Dawn has achieved it's funding goal and then some, with 8 more days to go still.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Occupation posted:

I knew it. I loving knew this stupid poo poo would happen once that pointless, ill-thought-out, dumb idea started getting traction.

Thanks a lot Fargo. You're an rear end.

I don't dislike the idea, per se. I do think that having it as some sort of condition for success is pretty annoying, in that a campaign should be judged on the product it is developing and not on some arbitrary promise towards future random funding.
It sounds like you have deeper insight (or at least a stronger reaction) into why the Kick it Forward business is not a good idea. I'm curious about hearing additional analysis regarding the negative aspects of Kick it Forward.
I also have a feeling this has been discussed before, but holy poo poo this is a lot of pages to read.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Occupation posted:

Here, I posted this like two months ago when the idea started catching:

Ahh, that's really great. Thanks, that was nicely thought out. I agree with everything but certain aspects your third point. Surely the devs would donatepledge to whomever they thought was deserving, rather than letting a monkey throw a dart at a list of names on a wall or have a trail of teardrops carve its way to their next pledge. I do agree with the fact that individuals should be the ones to continue exercising their own choices about who to support, rather than attempting to centralize that decision making process.

Anyway, I sent them a nice email detailing my concerns with the whole strongarming of Kicking it Forward and their adherence to its idea. Sure it won't do much, but what the hell, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

So EA will be waiving fees for Kickstarter games? Neat, I suppose. Considering how sparse Origin is they'll probably need it.

I think it was for the first few months, after that they'd be getting their fees back in place. I agree, I think it is great to have a free-ish place to sell your new videogame and recoup your costs that much faster...even if it IS origin. :suicide:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jack Fool posted:

I really like the idea of RPS having a notes column for the current status on a number of kickstarters, it seems more appropriate than articles badgering people to donate.

Unless it's a game that I want to succeed. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

I'm really hoping with all these adventure game kickstarters coming out of the woodwork (Tex Murphy, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.) that Cyan, the company that did the Myst games, puts together a campaign eventually.

And maybe Presto Studios with Journeyman Project, but I think there's only like 12 people out there who even know what that is, so that's not likely to get anywhere.

I've only ever played Journeyman 3 way back as a kid, but holy poo poo that was a fun game. I liked it way better than MYST and junk because it had character interaction (instead of just one puzzle after another) and that robot thing was pretty drat funny.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shardok posted:

I would love to see another Discworld game, but I'm not that big on the straight adventure genre, still would play it even if it was, but I'd rather see a fully realized Discworld RPG.

Maybe a Final Fight-esque brawler starring the Wee Free Men for starters? The Mortal Kombat of smurf games.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Iacen posted:

I like the way you're thinking, even if I have trouble seeing who'll pay for a game with only a single song.

That hedgehog poo poo goes forever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RadicalR posted:

Uh, it was 500 dollars? Not 1k.

And I dig the studio. Who wouldn't?

And since we're answering questions, let me ask you - where does your avatar come from?

Monkey Island. The governess. Elaine Marley.

edit: wow. half hour too late. :sassargh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I realize this has probably been spoken about, but I also wish my voice to be heard. For some reason this just stuck with me in a VERY irrational way.

I find that I was actually inordinately frustrated by the Tom Hall/Brenda Brathwaite (who is from my understanding, a VERY respectable figure in videogame history, moreso than Hall by a long way) kickstarter. It was such a poor initial showing that despite my complete enjoyment of Anachronox and Wiz 8 (these are two of my literally favorite games from when I was younger) I find myself hoping it will fail. And will maybe rekick in a few months time, when things have actually been developed further.

It was such a haphazard and uninformative professional pitch that I was embarrassed and annoyed. The language they used in that video made it no different than any one of the thousands of late night tv infomercials that exist to scam you out of your money.

---haha, I was writing a bighuge post about why these guys wouldn't be able to pull off a decent game because they've only all been making social facebook app games for the past six years or more, but stopped partway through after doing some research while I was trying to find ways to lambast and weaken their position. I realized just because it's a social game doesn't make it a poor game (as I am usually prejudiced to think). I'll just leave this spergy, slightly misinformed, skippable extra bit right below because public shaming is a good thing every now and again. My above quality point still is valid to me, however. This game may simply not be for me until I can see a finished product. Doesn't mean other people shouldn't support it if they like.

I understand that the time allotment of a kickstarter allows you to constantly add to your pitch and whatnot, but the clear fact was that these people, from the pattern of behavior shown, are essentially brainstorming their idea right now. The difference between Doublefine's and this one has not only to do with the immediacy of pedigreed content but the fact that Doublefine from the beginning sold their campaign as a close look into the construction of a videogame, as well as, then, the finished game itself.

It differs from Obsidians' in again, immediate pedigree of produced games. Loot Drop, and both of their previous companies, have literally only made the same social networking games that have zero noticeable or standout qualities. Obsidian is quite the reverse in that regard - with consistently interesting and engaging qualities that help them stand out from their ilk. And they also a

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What makes you say this? Her work on Wiz 8 means more to me than Wolfenstein, Doom and Commander Keen, but I'm not sure "videogame history" sees it that way.

As for the rest of it, I'm starting to feel that way too. Something about the tone of their updates so far strikes me as hollow. Supposedly there's a big update coming this week, so we'll see how that goes.

Videogame history not as in not only what games she's made, but her role as a person within the industry. I suppose I was referring more to her activism than anything having to do with which of her games I enjoyed more.

But yes, I find myself hoping this particular kickstarter fails if only to serve as a gatekeeper to how the developers should be viewing and interacting with the kickstarter gaming public. They owe it to themselves, for respectability's sake, and to the general contributing public especially if they are going to be requesting money for a business proposition.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 8, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

The fact that they have stuff like this in them and chose the safe swords and sorcery path is why I can't bring myself to pledge for PE.

But PE is something they CLEARLY had a desire to do. Sure it's a safer bet, but they weren't also expecting the groundswell of support. Even if you don't help Kickstart PE, you should still at least check it out upon release, so hopefully they are able to build a reputation of independent success and continue/begin to bring NEW and ORIGINAL IPs out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Urdnot Fire posted:

That pulp sci-fi game Jack Houston and the Necronauts had one of its $10,000 pledges fall through, putting it under-budget. They're currently trying to raise the remaining money through Paypal here.

Haha, yeah. It's definitely a thing that can happen and it sucks, but it's a bit disingenuous to speak of that instance as though it were happening currently.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fits posted:

If you backed it, the first wave of invites for The Banner Saga multiplayer beta starts tomorrow :allears:

Oh god, please be good please be goodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So Interstellar Marines has a kickstarter. I REALLY enjoyed that video. I have to say it was very nicely done. Bravo, Zero Point Software.

I saw an article on this game a while back...or maybe I just saw it up on Steam's Greenlight, either way. The land-space sharks caught my eye initially, but holy drat if the thing doesn't legitimately look pretty drat interesting.

I was also reading an article the other day(this is an interesting read, actually, on the nature of AAA games and their push to attract new markets and the extreme forms that usually takes the developers down when they create their games, and it was nice to hear these devs kinda push that away for a moment. But any game who as their models of inspiration attribute System Shock 2, Raven Shield and Half Life, and with this much work already put in, :10bux: seems like an easy thing to help support them with, win or lose.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the black husserl posted:

Some of us have been waiting six years so that TSW could be an obvious flop and Tornquist would come back. Don't spoil the moment.

I realize that in the back of my head, I was thinking this too. Not really hoping, but just thinking it.

Man.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yoya posted:

[its-happening-ron-paul.gif]

WARNING: The announcement you are about to read is canon.

http://www.talesofgames.com/2012/11/barkley-2-announcement-kickstarter-coming-soon/

I am stoked. I can imagine it being tens of times greater if he's actually getting paid to do it. Day one pledge, because I believe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

It's made by Chris Roberts, who is inexplicably remembered for the two brilliant games he made in the early 90s and not for the lengthy series of failures and disappointments that his career has consisted of since.

Yesssss. haha.

Admit it. You'd totally kickstart a Peter Molyneux game based off his success with Dungeon Keeper or whatever... :smith:

(there aren't sarcasm tags here big enough)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

macnbc posted:

How does that not count? Pretty much all other major Kickstarters have taken Paypal donations on their own site and added it to their Kickstarter total when discussing stretch goals and such. (Project Eternity, Leisure Suit Larry, Project Fedora, Broken Sword, etc.)

Star Citizen just inverted it with their site being the "primary" focus of the campaign and Kickstarter being the "secondary".

The record mentioned is two different things.

Apples and oranges. They both count, I guess, if you're keeping track of stuff like that, just not when compared to each other. They're incorporated together when it comes to pledge gifts and stretch goals and whatnot, but you can't say someone broke a kickstarter record when they didn't, just as you can't say someone broke a crowdsourcing record, when they didn't.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 17, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

NmareBfly posted:

This is a pretty silly semantic argument. He never said anything about a Kickstarter record. Here is what he said:

Since he referred to 'total pledges' in the first part, not 'pledges on Kickstarter' it is safe to assume that it is the overall funding record in question. PE made $4,163,208, SC has $4,236,571 as of now. SC wins! :toot:
:catstare:

I was simply pointing out the shift in conversation as to why Dragonrah said it didn't count. The initial topic of conversation was regarding Kickstarter. All of the records being discussed have used the Kickstarter as their metric when talking about records prior.

Either way, it still seems to be two separate things, even though they've become disingeniously synonymous. I think Kickstarter as a metric people find useful for "records" because there is a definitive, public timeline regarding amounts of money raised, not to mention it was where these large crowdfunding this made a name for themselves. From a quick glance the website of Star Citizen it seems like they were taking money before they started a kickstarter program but their personal server wasn't enough to handle the stress of so many people pre-ordering/pledging and so they moved to a second solution through Kickstarter.

I'm not saying Star Citizen is an unworthy game or anything, I'm just saying why it seems to me many people find it easier and more intuitive to keep track of these things via the kickstarter numbers. But yes, it certainly seems that Star Citizen has raised the most money through crowdfunding.

Now, since Kickstarter has expanded out to do the whole Europe thing, does that make Paypal a no longer necessary viable complement (barring lower fees or whatever) or are there still significant inroads to be made in order to have everyone be able to pledge through Kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:catstare:
Calling in old debts to fill a zero balance bank account in order to buy videogames just seems.... I'm laughing, but I feel kinda bad, too.