Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Scratch-O posted:

Give me 25 grand so I can buy toys!

He literally wants that much money to recreate Super Mario Bros. in Lego. I guarantee you that there are people in the GBS Lego thread who can and would do this for free.

I have considered doing this in HAMA beads. It would be quite smaller but a hell of a lot cheaper, I think. I think I'd go mad from doing it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Weren't the hookerbots only inlcuded to appease some troll in the comments? I seem to recall someone (jokingly, I hope) suggesting it and Barlett only grudgingly accepting the idea.

Now it seems like he's milking that idea for everything it's worth (Which is nothing).

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

With these adventure games and old licenses seemingly doing a comeback, I'm eagerly awaiting the return of the Discworld adventure games. I have so many fond memories of Discworld Noir and I'd love to play another game set on the Disc.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Palpek posted:

So are some gaming projects on indiegogo straight copies of kickstarters that some random person just stole to scam people out of money? Or are those the same studios looking for funds on both sites at the same time?

Like Yogventures for example.

I've written Hexadecimal Gnome (Hannah) about it. Hopefully that'll remove this before some unlucky dude (or a yognaught who's stolen his father's credit card) stumbles across it. It's one of those fund raisers where any money donated is transfered to the creator, regardless of the goal is reached or not.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

So, Leisure Suit Larry's Kickstarter just ended, on $655,182. That means there will be a new girl and more story in the game. That's pretty cool, I think.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgilq-ryLvo

Yogeventures posted another update and, honestly? I'm not regretting having sent them some money because even in this very early state it's got some of the base elements of the features they were talking about. It's miles away from being an actual game and it STILL bothers me that they're using the default Unity 3D third-person character controller and I almost want to send them the character controller I wrote myself with the license being "stop using the loving default character controller."

It's nice that there are constant updates about the progress though and it's shaping up nicely instead of like babby's first Unity game.

I sent them a question yesterday about platforms and distribution, and how I liked to see the updates, escpecially the ones that showed off the terrain deformation, and recieved a very polite answer only a few minutes afterwards.

It was a very nice thing and I'm also not regretting sinking 15 dollars into this project.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I'd only play it if it was like Theme Park, letting me control the attraction.

To re-create a certain scene from Problem Child 2?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Carmageddon is already at 100.000 dollars. I might have to contribute when I get home. The video was amusing and I'd like to drive fast and smash zombies/pedestrians in the process.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

TunaSpleen posted:

Project Fedora has begun! Less than an hour in and the Tex Murphy fans are emptying their wallets and cleaning out the couch cushions already!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/251414413/tex-murphy-project-fedora

Man, I'm sitting here thinking how much I can spare. This is fantastic!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

It's quite impressive! The Tex Murphy Kickstarter has reached around 76.000 dollars already, which is almost one sixth of the required amount, and there's still a month to go.
I really hope they make it :)

Edit: 77.000 dollars now.
Edit2: Now 80.000 dollars! I'm so pledging 115 bucks on this project :3:

Iacen fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 15, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

TunaSpleen posted:

Megazver, you can play any game independently of all the rest without needing any backstory from earlier titles, but I'd at least recommend Under A Killing Moon to introduce yourself to some characters, locations and recurring references and jokes. Or hell, just go on YouTube and watch the Let's Play videos if you don't want to spend :10bux:.

Under a Killing Moon is, even today, probably one of my favorite PC games. Sure, it looks dated by now, but it has a lot of fun moments, some really interesting puzzles, an engaging world (it's kinda like a Blade Runner-lite, if you get my meaning) and James Earl-Jones acting as The Great PI in the Sky.

Since I have only played an hour of the Martian Memorandum, and haven't yet played Overseer, did Earl-Jones return? Because I don't recall the line from the Kickstarter video, which makes me hope he returns for that role :3:

And the game has currently reached almost a third of the requested amount. I sure hope they make it!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I saw this at the Tex Murphy Kickstarter comments:

Tequila posted:

I have been forced to withdraw my pledges from your project due to the way Kickstarter handled the suspension and cancellation of Board & Card Games project Tentacle Bento. Kickstarter acted on pressure generated from two misinformed articles that misrepresented the project and were done in hopes to raise page hits and enough negative feedback for the project to be cancelled. I do not feel developer Soda Pop Miniatures and their project were treated fairly. As I do not condone censorship and the way Kickstarter handled the situation by taking a stand as some kind of moral enforcer of what is parody/satire/acceptable (without consulting the project founders or backers), I am forced to back out of any ongoing and future projects hosted at Kickstarter.
It makes me slightly sad. But mostly I'm annoyed, because there's nothing "satire" about that tentacle rape game. It's creepy no matter what you do with it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

synertia posted:

I really hope Tex makes it. My buddies and I played through them all in just a few days when GoG released them and were hungry for another one. They're just so goofy and fun to watch and comment on with a buddy. I kicked in 30 because that's the best I can do, but I really hope it shakes out.

We always talk like the guy from the Brew n' Stew "Hiya Moyph"

I've pledged 115 bucks, so I'm right with ya. The soundtracks was what made me jump up there and I would have like the books also, but 165 was just too much. I hope they might decide to release the books digitally later on (Kindle?), because I'd like to read them.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I looked at Kicktraq today, just so I could get an overview of Tex Murphy. If their predictions is right, the game stands to getting $1,541,174. I hope it continues like this, because I wish these guys all the luck they can get.

Also, if someone is interested, I asked them about if they had plans of publishing the books digitally, like on Amazon's Kindle or something. They answered that they hadn't considered it but would look into it. I'm getting both if it happens :3:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, I know that it's a trendline, the word just escaped me at that moment and I thought I could use prediction instead :downs:
Having english as a second language and all

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

macnbc posted:

I'm really hoping with all these adventure game kickstarters coming out of the woodwork (Tex Murphy, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.) that Cyan, the company that did the Myst games, puts together a campaign eventually.

And maybe Presto Studios with Journeyman Project, but I think there's only like 12 people out there who even know what that is, so that's not likely to get anywhere.

I'm hoping for a new Discworld adventure game, but know that I have a better chance of being hit by a rogue astroid :(

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

Isn't the Watch getting a TV series? If Game of Thrones got a game...

Yes, but it seems no one knows anything about it. A shame, really, as the Ankh-Morpork they set up for The Hogfather/Going Postal/The Colour of Magic is bang-on and I'd love to see a comedy-crime series set in that world.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Tzar posted:

You're all wrong, the obvious next Discworld game should be Singstar: Nana Ogg Editon.

I like the way you're thinking, even if I have trouble seeing who'll pay for a game with only a single song.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

The Tex Murphy kickstarter doesn't look too good, according to Kliktraq's graphs. I'm not sure whether an end-spike can save the day.

You're right, the graphs doesn't look pretty. But that doesn't detract from the fact that in a week, the Kickstarter has been pledge half the required amount. And by now articles about it has started popping up, so who knows?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

macnbc posted:

The Tex Murphy kickstarter has stretch goals up.

I'm hoping they hit $540k just so we can see who qualifies as "more recognizable actors" now.

If it was up to me, I'd splash the entire "famous actors" budget on getting James Earl-Jones to repeat his role as the PI in the Sky. That man's voice :allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Basically, you play as an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a neat concept and is certainly a diversion from the gritty FPS norm these days. The MOBA multiplayer mode in particular sounds like fun. The team behind this, Cadenza Interactive, created a game called Sol Survivor a couple years back, which itself was a fun little indie turret defense/strategy game.

Reading that, it reminded me of an old 1997 game called Virus: The Game with the same theme. Sadly it was quite poo poo, but I loved the idea of the game world being created out of files from your computer, like textures would be family photos and sound would be from your MP3 collection. Now I want those two games to have a baby!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, if I had 1000 bucks, I'd love a pillowl. I like those owls and a pillowl would own.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I know that video made me pledge $25 for the soundtrack level.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Some of my mates have launched a Kickstarter for their tactical roleplaying game, Expeditions: Conquistador

The game was previously, and due to lack of ressources, released on Windows Phone 7 and sold reasonably. Now they want to make a proper Windows version.

If anyone care about that, the game designer on Expeditions is Jonas Wæver, who was the lead designer on The Nameless Mod (an (in)famous Deus Ex mod, which is both praised for its gameplay and criticized for the setting and humor; the internet and such)
Truth be told, I haven't tried the game (seeing as I don't have a Windows 7 phone), but I think it looks kinda neat.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Man, I should have linked to that video in my post above. Then it would have been noticed :(

But it does look nice and I'm happy for these guys, that they've actually managed to get to this phase.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Renoistic posted:

In the latest update they said all backers will receive the Steam version for free if it gets greenlit, and if you pledge $25 you're getting any extra levels or expansions for free.

Now I feel even better about the 25 dollars I paid for the soundtrack :3:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Axegrinder posted:

Remember Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood?

Their creator, Doug Tennapel has just launched a Kickstarter for a hard-back compilation of his best sketches over the past few decades:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812253609/doug-tennapel-sketchbook-archives?ref=discover_pop

I had a dream something like this was going to happen.

Thank you! I just wish international shipping wasn't that much, because I'm quite tempted to pledge 50 dollars.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Kickstarter has, by the way, posted some common questions that's asked a lot.
Like this one:
Kickstarter announced that it's prohibiting product renderings in the Hardware and Product Design categories, but "rendering" can mean a lot of things. What does Kickstarter mean?

To clarify, we mean photorealistic renderings of a product concept. Technical drawings, CAD designs, sketches, and other parts of the design process will continue to be allowed. Seeing the guts of the creative process is important. We love that stuff. However renderings that could be mistaken for finished products are prohibited.

So as long you don't have a professional 3D max rendering (*cough*Like Ouya*cough*), you should be clear. Hopefully that also helps mutata from earlier on this page

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Well, obviously they might have it even easier to piss away money, when there aren't any evil publishers demanding "work disciplin", "progress" and "a functional game".

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

It seems like all the old game guys are just coming out the woodwork:
An Old-School RPG by Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall!

Being designed by Tom Hall is almost enough to get me to back it. Also, if you pledge 10.000 dollars, Tom Hall, Brenda Brathwaite and John Romero (yes, him) will hand over the game to you on a velvet pillow, and take you to Disney Land.

And if they reach 1.9 million instead of their goal of just 1 million, Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite will each design a game, giving you two games for the price of one.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

What do you get if you take the Ouya, remove the whole spiel about "Ouya store, killing the big three, gaming isn't dead", beef it up and then package it along side three matching vases?

The eSfere!:confuoot:

It comes in SEVEN different colours (with matching vases), and can be attached to a matching storage dock, which gives it 128GB of storage.

Yes, I'm taking the piss, but I honestly think it's more viable than the Ouya. Especially the controller, which doesn't require any extra coding, as far as I can see.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Since the fantastic Ouya thread went to the Goldmine, I figure this is the best place to post about it: OUYA developers share enthusiasm, reasons for support, and lack of piracy fears

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

The genre doesn't really speak to me, but those screens are gorgeous, goddamn!:allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Tom Hall has launched a new Kickstarter. This time he's making a game maker, and the KS is also for a launch title made using the tool, a "spiritual successor to Keen". It looks interesting, at least.

The concept appeals to me (mainly because I'm one of those people that buy various game makers and then never uses them), but holy hell those game characters are ugly. The whole eyes half open thing reminds me of Tim Buckley.

Still, tempted to pledge, if only because of Tom Hall.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

The art looks like it came from the Island of Misfit Office Assistants.

Oh, now I remember. The main character looks like it's from those Elephant Insurance ads!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Related to gaming (but not sure how good it is), Ashens, famous for looking at cheap tat on youtube, wants to do a movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoTZe6mcgic

He wants 50.000 dollars, and his campaign has already gotten 30.000.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'm kinda digging this. It's kinda like Gary's Mod meets Minecraft and its tech-based mods:

Build A World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNImu3n2_Go

quote:

Build A World combines the most beautiful graphics you could imagine with a sandbox construction game. You enter a brand new world with modern tools and with the ability to make modern machines, buildings and other constructions. An online game run by the new BAW engine. It's a modern game in a modern world.

The world comes ready with a huge amount of natural resources for you to find and collect: iron, rock, sand, copper, gold, coal, bauxite etc.

Your job as a world builder is to refine and manufacture these resources into building materials like wood, concrete, bricks, asphalt, steel, glass etc. for machines, houses and any other sorts of constructions, you can imagine.

Some of these machines and constructions already exist as blueprints in the game, and just need to be assembled, but a lot is up to your imagination. Can you build the next World Wonder?
I just think that they might have more luck if they lowered the initial pledge to 10 pounds, as 25 pounds is quite a bit for a (nicelooking) Minecraft clone.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Harlock posted:

It's pretty bad that I usually won't think about backing a game where the barrier of entry for a copy is above $20.

I wonder if it is a consequence of the company being European (Danish), where prices in general are higher. The same thing was seen in the Build a World kickstarter, where they wanted 25 pounds for the smallest pledge.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And now, for comedy: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

For some reason they thought it was a smart idea to ask for $1.35 million more when their own crowdfunding site so far has only raised 10% of their $1.5 million goal after a week's time.

It might only be me, but I like to look at the project starter, and how many (which) projects they've backed. Some projects only back a few, which is fine, other projects back tons, which is awesome. It gives the sense that they didn't just sign up for money, but also to give something back.

These guys haven't backed anyone. Like, at all. Not even a token Ouya backing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Sonofabitch! ^^
Well, I got a video of that project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1UPDog8CM