Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It has to be a troll/prank just from the goal. $7,500 is nothing.

It could be just the final push, distribution and poo poo. If you're not trying to do physical, 7.5k would be enough to put together a halfassed trailer and host it on some cheap webserver. But more likely they just don't have the slightest loving clue what things cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Note: I purposefully went for hyperbole. If anyone's actually using puppies as suicide bombers I don't want to know.

The Soviets tried it. It didn't go very well.

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vqoOZ4m-M8

Mighty #9 is looking pretty cool. That video is just Inafune playing over a tiny bit of it and looking things over/kinda critiquing stuff.

MN9's movement looks more X-y than I'd imagined, but that's not going to ruin the game by any means.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Well, as expected, Super Retro Squad just completely imploded.

I'm not remotely surprised, but I am kinda saddened, because SMBC is fun, and they were proposing 16-bit-style graphics, which really needs to shove out 8-bit stuff... but I digress. I'm amused that they felt the need to use Unity. Because trying to force it to do 2d games when you're only used to flash is so, SO much harder than using Adobe's tools specifically designed to let Flash developers target smartphones. I mean hell, there's even documentation using it to target Ouya, apparently the Ouya people managed to shut up the voices in their heads long enough to do that much.

As for my learning experiences, so far I've dodged any truly awful ones. Just Double Fine Adventure (which was Double Fine, so if you didn't expect it to take forever you're delusional) and Chuck's Challenge 3D (which took forever and is very obviously NOT designed for a mouse and keyboard, but it's playable.)

Keiya fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Christian Knudsen posted:

I actually can't believe they didn't build a simple prototype in Unity before doing the kickstarter. No way I'd be comfortable launching a kickstarter to build a game in an engine I'd never used before. That YouTube devlog from early March is like the minimal thing I would've had to have running before I'd even consider a kickstarter.

I know. I've considered doing a kickstarter project at one point. A clone of the old MTG Shandalar game. I sat down and figured out what I could do in my spare time, with a friend who has his spare time assisting with the TCG design and development (in the paper TCG sense). I determined that I'd be able have a near-final engine for the TCG part with stick figures and crap from PDClipart.org for card art, and a working prototype of the overworld part that would probably have to be thrown out to get non-poo poo art working with it. Kickstarter would be paying for an artist and maybe a Mac Mini to be able to actually test an OS X port.

That's further than I expect most people to take it - I have copious free time, very low expenses, and a tendency to get bored with projects before I get to that point - but going to kickstarter with just an idea boggles me.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I'll completely admit that I'd play a Night Trap remake, but I'm sure as heck not going to fund one.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Honestly, The Sims-style space ship decorating, while incredibly stupid, sounds kind of fun...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

As opposed to Elite, which is about flying around a bunch of cargo with not enough weapons, trying to avoid pirates.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Tippis posted:

Hey, that's unfair.
Elite is also about not being able to afford a docking computer and then mismatching your rotation with a space station and slamming side-first into the back wall of the docking bay.

Docking's not that hard, once you've done it a few times. Unless E:D made it harder, I've only played the classic one and the Oolite third-party remake.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Shalinor posted:

It's because they're optimizing for animation over controls. They have big drawn out landing and jumping animations, a big drawn-out run animation, etc. Makes for charming footage, but it means the actual controls will be somewhere in the neighborhood of dogshit. It's most common when you let artists or graphics programmers do your gameplay code / when you implement art first, controls second.

Anyone remember that Metroidvania ages ago, pixel art, that was being done by a solo artist, female protagonist? Same issue as there. Looks great, controls not so great.

Iji? Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils? Holdover? That's just off the top of my head. Iji's not quite metroidvania and I haven't played BMD though.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

Everyone should play the new Shadowgate.

I'm still in therapy for what that game did to me in childhood.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

quote:

Stretch Goals?
NONE. We want to make one, excellent game. Stretch goals run the risk of over-scoping the game and causing financial problems. We've decided against them after researching successful projects.

That makes sense, but will probably turn off a lot of prospective people...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The answer is to never use it.

Anyways, I really like what I saw of Parkitect. Reminds me of Sim Theme Park, or rather, it reminds me of my memories of Sim Theme Park. Looking at videos and screens of Sim Theme Park make me wonder why I loved that game so much. I notice someone mentioned just playing Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, why not 3? I've never played any of them.

2 is basically a straight upgrade from 1, but 3 redid it with a 3d engine and a lot of things... just didn't work as well there. It's still fun, from what I hear, but it doesn't quite reach that same peak of near-perfection as RCT/2.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

That's sort of implying that Earthbound wasn't already a creepy acid trip.

Yeah, it looks like these guys just had a slightly creepier trip than the Earthbound guys. ... Slightly.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

mutata posted:

Because art costs money but they don't want to pay for it but they want to profit from it.

So, paying for all the other music, but running a contest to have a fan's work be one of the random songs a jukebox can play or something like that is "not wanting to pay for it"? That seems more like 'hey, let's have some fun and drum up some interest in our game' than 'let's exploit people who don't know better'.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every MMO in production: "Totally not WoW you guys!"
Every MMO upon release: "Yeah it's basically just WoW"

The fact that they are talking about "classic gameplay" at all is a huge red flag. He is either talking about Everquest/Asheron's Call era or WoW era. And since more than one person has attempted to make an MMO based on the EQ/AC era (rip Vanguard) and failed, I'm going to assume it's just going to be WoW.

Classic gameplay? They're secretly attempting to kickstart a MUD :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I could probably write a better script for that with my eyes closed. (Granted, I can touchtype reasonably well, so that's not saying much.) Of course, mine would end with the protagonist spiraling into dysphoria and depression and probably committing suicide, sarcastic yay!