Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JonOlick posted:

Do you trust some dude in a moderator chair at some company who wants to ban you because you stole his friend's prized magic sword? Do you trust him to not accidentally some files? Personally speaking, I want to set up a system where you don't have to make a value judgement about the integrity of moderators. I'd rather have honesty and integrity built into the system itself. Solve the problem at the root.
I don't know a single person who wouldn't rather be dicked over by a person that they can appeal against than be hosed by a cold machine that won't even give a reacharound.

I'm thinking I'll kick you :10bux: just so I can be aware of the exact moment players figure out the reporting threshold that automatically bans people from playing with anybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phase 2: Start an Indiegogo to support Kickstarter habit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

If I were to expend the effort to make my own first person shooter is sure as hell be a little more creative with my weapons than pistol, shotgun, axe, :geno:

I mean I get they're doing it that way because that's what Doom had but at least make them look unique instead of something that fell out of a free assets pack.

e: boring weapons in shooter make me mad
I wouldn't worry about it - judging by the video they're just differently skinned ways of setting off the explosive barrels that actually deal damage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

And, at the heart of it, you're selling the third installment of an episodic game whose last release was over a decade ago, with the only way to 'catch up' being to watch hours of Ryo asking people if they know about the Chinese on youtube or hunt down discontinued hardware.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Excuse me, I'm looking for someone who knows about Chinese people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The main problem with Shenmue 3 is going to be that none of the stretch goals are the inclusion of Virtua Fighter or Afterburner as arcade games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shenmue itself was reportedly so expensive every Dreamcast owner would've had to buy it twice to make it profitable, but most of its budget was spent on doing developing things that nobody else was doing at the time but are now commonplace, as well as on assets for the future installments, to the point that the entire second game was basically complete barring the event scripting and voicework. That and Dreamcast sold very poorly. And it all took place prior to the rise of AAA gaming - all up it cost less than the marketing budget for a Call of Duty.

It was a "commercial disaster" because it didn't overcome the fact that the Dreamcast was dead in the water, but the amount of poo poo it did that was incredibly new and unprecedented was amazing. Nobody today would bat an eyelid at a minigame having online leaderboards, but it blew my mind at the time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

it's not even a point of it just being a pixel game, it's a point of that hideous abject failure to add shading or even the slightest details to make something look interesting. it's not even that hard to do. even just adding a single shade or learning how to dither or SOMETHING would help.

These games look WORSE than what they attempt to emulate. that's the issue.
How is that the issue when, as responses point out, they aren't trying to emulate anything.

The answer to your original legitimate question (when amended with your complaint about the actual quality of the art rather than the type of it) is: never. People will never stop making ugly games, regardless of the medium, style, or engine they do it in. Even if they do, it will not be permanently, as aesthetics evolve. Such is design.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hav posted:

He's conflating pixel art with 8-bit revivals. God help him if anyone starts emulating the ZX Spectrum in seriousness.

"One color? This is just lazy, there are literally tens of colors available!"
Why bother with emulation? They literally went back into production last week - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega#/story

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's basically just a vanity collectible thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Memento posted:

Well, apart from Shenmue, it appears he has made a bunch of racing games and fighting games. And he has spent the last 15 years making mobile and arcade games. I understand that people like to hold up the accomplishments of their heroes as evidence they can do well again, but you also have to take the big fat pile of meh that they have done in the last decade-plus into account when you're evaluating them.
He also spent the 15 years before Shenmue making arcade games. That's how he made his name in the industry and got into a position where he could make Shenmue in the first place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It isn't. Why do you think Sony ain't saying poo poo about how much they're willing to put in?
Because large companies do not, in general, discuss their finances when not required by law, and they especially don't discuss the details of their contracts with other companies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:suicide:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As somebody who was a Dreamcast fan and has a huge stack of Dreamcast games, I just find it a bit surreal. I just can't envision a situation in which this doesn't all crash and burn in some sense. There was a window in which a Shenmue 3 would have been groundbreaking, but it wouldn't have made money. Now maybe the money is coming together, but I can't see a Shenmue sequel as actually being a good game compared to its modern AAA peers. It's a catch-22 and maybe I'll be surprised, but my money'd be against it. (And it is, I'm not backing.)

There are all sorts of games from the Dreamcast era that would be great to see return, but Shenmue? That was a disaster the first time and second time, but somehow I guess the third time will turn out different! Somehow. If you believe enough.
I agree that it's a really weird choice - but from kind of a different angle. The first and second were disasters because they were building a lot of new stuff for a dead-in-the-water console exclusive. The third is a weird concept because the industry is at the point where it could probably just be done as a total conversion mod for GTA V. Everything that made Shenmue an experience is now mundane, and outside of that it's just an adventure game with a storyline that it won't even conclude. It doesn't have the scope to be the disaster it was, but it also doesn't have much to offer beyond being the final step necessary before Shenmue 4.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes thank you industry captain, obviously there would be licensing issues if you were to actually do that thing instead of take it as an example of how well-trod the FREE path is by now. :fishmech:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Because their Alien Swarm clones sold great
Hahaha what

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SuicideSnowman posted:

That game already exists. It's called ... Star Citizen.
:yeah:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Something that is bad enough to delay the release of your product is literally the definition of a "showstopper" bug.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

Allegedly CIG only have 8 million left in the bank and are blowing through 3.5 million a month

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

senrath posted:

It's almost like a VN with Mechas in it is a completely different game from a tactics game with Mecha in it, and that the two fanbases don't necessarily have much overlap! They've raised nearly $700k at the time of this post and they have 34 days left to go. Muv-Luv launched earlier and hasn't yet hit $500k.
What is joke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

See also civilization beyond earth. Totally not alpha centauri but we're going to mention alpha centauri at anyway.
It's not really comparable since the only reason they don't call it Alpha Centauri is they don't own the name anymore. And also it seems to have no intention of actually trying to be a successor to Alpha Centauri.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The best part of the Dragon's Lair pitch is the caricature reward with example image copyright 1983.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

Anime titties killed my father.

This but ironically.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RentACop posted:

Quick, someone justify buying CDs in a haughty tone
I'm doing my part to keep a rich culture of pan flute music alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Except online gambling is perfectly legal in most/all EU countries and it's also OK to advertise about it.

Watch any football game live on TV today, and at least 3 betting companies have huge commercials before, during and after the game.

It seems to me, the EU is pretty cool with gambling which is pretty drat sad.
I don't even watch TV and I'm still inundated by US gambling advertisements disguised as perfectly legal fantasy sports leagues.