Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, getting Android out to the wider world seems to be a thing now for sure....personally keeping tabs on this one that seems to be well in hand, though it is kinda the same thing as the one your linked:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv

About double the price though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Really bizarre on the AURO situation, though I shake my head at Burgun's odd tendency to stir things up completely at odds with whatever points in intentions to make----cringer after cringer tends to manifest on the Dinofarm blog that'd just be better off left unsaid as the whole "any publicity is good publicity" thing really doesn't work out for them.

All I can think is that they were aiming to recruit from a region with a low cost of living as opposed to the US or some such...but even then there had to be a much more chill way of going about this.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Latest pair of projects I'm really hoping for:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lucid-dreamers/empires-of-sorcery MoM-like d20 attempt after the disaster(s?) that were Stardock's Elemental I pre-ordered into? Yes please.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21693645/harmonia A freaky combo of online tactical RPG, Roguelike aspects, and a raging obsession with old school Shining Force.

Both aiming for modest, low 2 figure amounts as opposed to some 6 figure dream within a dream and neither seems to give off any vibes of being out of their gourd as far as stretch goals if they get that far.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Really don't know about that fighting game....crazed concepts are always welcome when decently executed, but really---Ron Paul as some sort of Wizard instead of an Alchemist after gold? Do your research lads!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Wow, Obsidian..!

Yeah, I hope both Fargoal and Project Eternity make it---so many shades of classics reviving or at least coming back into play is just maddeningly awesome.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I reckon Loot Drop's RPG to-be is mainly just a victim of them not thinking all the pitch details through as best as they should have given the numerous examples that came before them---should bounce back though as already the first update confirmed no-DRM outright and Linux support at 1.5 mil IIRC.

That said, I can't help but start unraveling a fanciful list in my mind of other dev outfits and otherwise that I might as well expect to see any day now since apparently the crowdfunding call has went far and wide. Flying Buffalo aiming to do it right this time with Tunnels & Trolls? Somebody doing the right thing and trying for a proper The Dark Eye RPG on IndieGoGo? Some kind of Platinum Box to gain on the old Gold Box games? There's still so many freaky corners to draw from such that it is just incredible---certainly wouldn't have seen this one coming either.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, for The Dark Eye there was the part where everything unraveled, to some degree as I understand it, to publisher-troubles and whatnot resulting in it not living up to full potential as well as it now just being leveraged on a hack n' slash.

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's interesting things that could be had still depending on what edition of the ruleset they draw from, at least roughly comparable to how very different the classic D&D rpgs round out within similar orientations. Besides, there was such a tremendous gap of time between the few modern titles and Realms of Arkania---though perhaps even the upcoming "less than RPG" titles for it will help stoke the embers back to something proper---if everybody can stop going bankrupt and other shenanigans...

Mainly though, it just jumps out to me as Kickstarter constituting a never-before-seen opportunity for P&P outfits to get leveraged into, say, a moderately budgeted 2D, maybe 3D if lots of clout, RPG and/or Roguelike'ish entity. There's seldom ever been a better way for a niche to communicate within itself and out to a broader audience visibily in terms of people with production talents and folks with money.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Bad news for Haunts: The Manse Macabre. Both programmers decided to stop working on it because they have other jobs, and because "getting online play working took three times longer than estimated (instead of the twice as long as estimated I’d been counting on)" the game is still unfinished. I don't know how you can estimate that something will take twice as long as you estimate it will take, but whatever. I didn't end up pledging for the game because I'm stingy with money and between Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 I had enough turn based stuff coming up to keep me busy for a while, but it's unfortunate to see this unique looking game in dire straits.

Reading further down they are still trying at it in terms of trying to get more people interested in commercial collaboration, and further still buried in the contents the ultimate fail-safe is opensourcing the entire lot of things. So...fairly dire, but it seems like there are some rays of hope beyond just a "Well, we failed and worked on other things, sorry folks!"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Don't think SHAKER would count as the worst on account of "effort" demonstrated on top of them pulling the plug before the conclusion---way I see it the window for Wildman to bow out passed in that first weekend or so when Taylor overtly courted that notion.

It'd be nice to see it make it, even if that happens in a Sword of Fargoal II fashion, but it is a tall order at this point.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The more dev outfits that can properly utilize KS, regardless of their size, so much the better as it takes the whole "Split IP" angle out of the equation. Looking back at the last Golden Era or so, seeing how many are lost in a stagnation of Rights' Hell such that we can't even hope for an aging old dev out of their attic to take another crack at it, and how prior to KS there was little chance of otherwise in the cycle repeating---real simple.

I guess another way of looking at it is just the long view of hoping for a better distant future where GoG doesn't have to work nearly as hard ala the SS2 release of late in order to preserve and make timeless classics available for all to enjoy and continue stoking the embers.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I want to believe in WoM, but it seems like a cursed notion of sorts as I could've sworn there was another attempt at a MoM d20 based successor on Kickstarter some months back, yet in 2D form, but I don't have the link handy anymore as it was a failed one---ringing any bells? I want to even think it looked more cohesive than this, which would be baffling as I can't imagine it hadn't already been noted by the devs on this one...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Right, I'm just dense and oddly piqued by things, I dug around a bit this morning was right that there was another D20 WoM-ish KS project awhile back---turns out it was the same folks under a different guise in Empires of Sorcery: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lucid-dreamers/empires-of-sorcery

So, this actually makes me pay more attention to Worlds of Magic, in that this is the first KS I can think of that decided to try to go bigger and bolder on all fronts, to say nothing of jumping out of USD into another currency, after the initial modest round didn't work out as opposed to trying to streamline and niche target even moreso.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I fear Balrum is going to go down to the wire like Sword of Fargoal II did---greater still is the fear that they won't quite make it unless they can get a lot of people to upgrade their pledge or land some big spenders outright.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The thing that gets me with Project Phoenix is that it just doesn't seem like they did any research at all in terms of stretch goals, how to handle updates, etc in terms of the successful early runners on the western RPG front---all that potential slipping through like sand in the hands to the likes of a freaking poster come $800K and whatnot. I'm totally baffled on the massive stretch listing at the tail end as well unless it is their attempt at some sort of tipping of the hat as to what their post-release dev roadmap is inclined towards.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Shalinor posted:

:Escape Velocity Nova hopes:

I'm really surprised no one has yet. It's a super easy sell to any gamers over 25-30ish, and it's one of those genres that almost all programmers start in (ie. "2D ship that I can spin and fly around and shoot stuff with"). Yet the only thing remotely close that we've seen was that crappy tower defense one.

Well, the most closely aligned would be naev http://code.google.com/p/naev/

They've an ancient Greenlight page with about as long since a public release, and I don't know if their rules with respect to money/license thinking would flex to allow for a KS attempt---but if anybody is going to do it I'd think they've got far and away the biggest head start.

There's just nothing else beyond sort of Drox Operative + Expansion from Soldak Entertainment, the elder Lost in Flatspace IIk Edition via Mark Sheeky, and the first upcoming commercial expansion to the now free/opensource and also rather old Transcendence.

What even happened with the team/folks behind EV: Nova proper anyways?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Quite odd to see Worlds of Magic doing a 3rd Kickstarter venture, even with their explanation towards the bottom that at least acknowledges this being their 2nd round at a successful crack at it.

That splash image is absolutely terrible quality though and bizarrely calling out to Minecraft---thick comic outlines AND needlessly insane pixelation does not a happy mix make. They really do need that art money thrown at somebody far more capable than whoever whipped that together while half blind...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I see the issue as more of a transitional one likely to perhaps indirectly sort itself out via Kickstarters---sort of like the whole Brash Spriter thing that, as I understand it, is making steady progress after their own successful KS campaign such as to tidy up the dev tools landscape on the full-blown 2D'ish animation angle that, for small outfits at least, hasn't been incredibly approachable beyond Flash wranglings especially if you have some sort of bloodlust for Vanillaware fare and their secret inhouse pipeline.

I'm fine with the above forest scene wrangling as well as most other throwback styles so long as it makes sense for the target in question and is actually workable---so long as the soul and spirit of the thing shines through.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm still just sitting here in disbelief that an even half-assed attempt at a revival for Boogerman, of all things, is actually happening. I expect a remake of The Ooze with Oculus Rift support by year's end at the rate we're going if this holds.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Good lord---that's one of the top as far as Bad Kickstarter Ends goes right up there with Manse Macabre and CultRL, and even those derailed off into the wastes with something sort of tangible.

I can only hope other folks looking to start up future ventures add this to the list of studying as far as what not to do.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
How...how do these terrible MMO-hopeful Kickstarter projects keep happening? I mean, I can understand under-budgeted nigh unto anything else, since there are at least some success stories you can live vicariously through until it all comes crashing down around you---but as far as I know there are slim to none of these things that have ever gotten any real traction.

I'd respect them far more if they were all just stubborn hopefuls angling for a True Resurrection Next Gen of MUDs or something, but not like this...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Charlotte Seeker seems promising---while it isn't listed outright on the list of games influenced, I definitely get a strong Engage to Jabberwock vibe from the screens and animation styling. Hopefully you folks can make it as it was quite some time ago that landed and this one seems to have more RPG elements, which are always nice in the mix.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

Unsung Story

If this isn't the most tacticsriffic thing

No one can stop me :homebrew:

Speak from the heart: It was the Orderman(s) that sealed the deal wasn't it?

Really do hope this thing makes it---there's been stranger bounce backs at the last few days in KS-land.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/199630513/zaharia Zaharia

OK, even aside from the premise of a detailed, turn-based, Middle-Eastern/Asian RPG with a sensible and seemingly attainable goal: I have never before been so tempted on a project solely from the sample from the original score for it whereby THEN I started to read through all the little bullet points saying all the right things. Endlessly looping it while checking for updates will be most enjoyable...

They just got started today it seems---talk about a bolt from the blue project suddenly becoming ever so compelling.

Aside from all that, I really think La Mulana has a good chance to get a big surge here at the end to knock out some stretch goals---that demo build has got to help, right?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

One Eye Open posted:

That shouldn't be too hard as there's a YM2612 emulator VST that can be plugged into the audio pipeline to get that sound.

Better still, there are even more lively and robust projects than that particular one---I figure it is only a matter of time/more overt Kickstarter support for Japan all things considered as far as historically talented folks before we can get a glorious Genesis resurgence(Outside of Watermelon...) and maybe even The Saturn Times That Never Were:

http://www.delek.com.ar/deflemask
http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

Until then though, well, the closest thing we have is this...which if I recall my earlier thread drama correctly, was an unintended consequence of the Legend of Iya Kickstarter going off into the weeds.

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/ultionus-a-soundtrack-of-petty-revenge

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
While I fear the Zaharia campaign stands next to no chance of making their initial goal barring some manner of amazing updates and coverage out the wazoo, I can at least now also place some irrational hopes on the charmingly intentional janky-stylings of Subterranea:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jmab/subterranea-a-3d-fantasy-role-playing-game

D&D OGL-based cRPG games don't have the best of historical fates somehow or another, so now is as good a time as any to swing for deliberately short fences for one on Kickstarter to see if that somehow breaks the curse proper outside of Knights of the Chalice.

Nowhere near as high concept as Zaharia, but for only a fraction of the starting total, all else theoretically equal presuming actually making it proper---surely the odds have to be a bit better?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, Dragon Fin Soup enters into the "Roguelike/RPG" fray:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimmbros/dragon-fin-soup

The pitch video goes all sorts of places---from generally good ideas/sentiments, to cringing namedrops, cats, to questionable (genre fusion mode?) bits and elsewhere.

The stretch goals scale up to $350K versus their initial target of $24K despite just launching today---I know it is more common to go ahead and list goals outright lately, but I can't help but raise an eyebrow when there is such a wide gulf as opposed to something more granular. Perhaps they expect a massive surge of backers for some reason.

I sort of want to believe though? I think they've been working on it for awhile now, and they seem genuine if a bit out there.

Definitely a far different approach versus Darkest Dungeon at the very least.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Graywalkers is taking another shot at it with a lower goal, though I'd imagine they still really hope to light up some big numbers as per last time as they were really hoping to ride the then RPG wave but were unable to do so.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreamlordsdigital/graywalkers-purgatory-turn-based-post-apocalyptic

I reckon they have a shot, though hard to say if it is a better one or not in terms of the times on KS since they first tried---maybe the new combat demo still to come will give them a push. That they already managed to get Greenlit in the interim of the last bid for funding has got to help as well.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Wow Bedlam looks stellar---really cool of the Banner Saga folks to license some of their tech out!

Between that, Battle Chef Brigade, That Which Sleeps, and so on...it almost feels like some kind of Fall rush is finally kicking in on KS after a not-incredibly-active summer period. I want to believe that more Big Time projects can have a shot again now that at least Wasteland 2 and Divinity are out/successful and fresh in the minds of folks in terms of, "Hey, this crowdfunding thing can turn out decent at least some of the time!"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, Voxel Quest is at least up there on the crazy ambition front: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavan/voxel-quest

That said...have to give it credit for a relatively low total even with it being a roughly Alpha target, no stretch goals, no physical rewards, and even acknowledging the existence of the year 2017 versus most other Kickstarters whose crystal ball extends only to 2015 at the most. It also helps that the "voxel" style is a bit beyond the norm, such that there is such a thing at least.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Voxel Quest dude apparently has an AMA of sorts going on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/2iqu84/voxel_quest_kickstarter_is_live_ama/

The fact that he's apparently keen on the source code being out there and the licensing being rather non-dramatic is also pretty cool as opposed to him getting some kind of a One Ring Complex considering he's apparently been tinkering at this for like a decade.

Also links a technical writeup on his engine tech via the game's homepage proper---definitely not a blend of old Java/dreams/duct tape:

http://www.voxelquest.com/news/how-does-it-work

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
How could anybody be so inept as to have "means of communication" so derelict that, of all people centric to your writing-heavy project, you don't manage to get ahold of said writer(s) for months at a time and then discover they've done precisely nothing and left? Skype, phones, email, IM clients---really, you couldn't reckon any of those ahead of time...while clearly being "with it" enough to run and manage a Kickstarter?

I don't understand how there can still be projects screwing up so badly here in 2014, though I guess this is something of a new level of screwing up versus most previously blundered projects.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I like to imagine a shocking twist/80's Feel Good ending for exploding kittens whereby they reveal an arbitrary stretch goal that has already been reached in the course of the funding frenzy right at the end that results in them taking the outstanding majority of their massive, superfluous profits to then play kingmaker/notch/that one other rich guy on KS for the next great while on real deal projects as a lark on the whole Kicking It Forward initiative.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Not a super encouraging indicator that the first update for Seven Dragon Saga included, of all potentially exciting things, the likes of confirming what platforms they were intending to release the game on---but still, they've yet to really hit any of the big sites like RPS so hopefully today will fare much better.

I'm keen to see how their underdog cRPG compatriot Dungeons of Aledorn will do on KS likewise---they have pretty well opposite problems in the grand scheme of things, but drat it all if these folks don't tap into the "old" KS notion of reaching for crazy ambitions while coming across as charmingly awkward in a good, scrappy way.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1153206899/dungeons-of-aledorn-old-school-hardcore-rpg/description

Plus, you know, the bitterness that runs deep on what ultimately become of the Realms of Arkania "enhanced remake" and this looks like perhaps the closest spiritual successor the world may ever get and then some unless Guido Henkel finds the courage/cash to try yet again to get something afoot...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The thing about that one which struck me as odd was that they were asking for $60,000 to find production until Feb 2017, and that doesn't seem like much to sustain a 12-person team for almost 2 years.

I'm also wary of their goal "maximum emphasis is placed on realism". That sounds like code for "a lot of unfun busywork", so I guess I'm not their target audience.

I think they are going the whole "funding supplements it/faster alongside our own side jobs this past while" route---granted they are in an area where that kind of cash will travel further than usual.

They have a shot at getting a bump in the last couple days here, though I really don't know what else they can do outside of praying for media coverage at last as there's surely no way they can manage a third meaningful update to their demo and all that is left is lore and more mechanics to expound upon.

I think the realism thing just goes back to Realms of Arkania as opposed to busywork---less deus ex machina compared to most games and moreso getting your hands dirty in order to get things happening. The last thing a niche RPG needs is to venture off into the weeds of 4X Spreadsheet'ing as only madness and regret lies there.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Bard's Tale IV will be fine so long as they get an at least somewhat decent final hours surge that mirrors a portion of what they've done up to now or at least the first week or so. Might not hit every stretch goal, but they might do a trickle funding campaign after the fact on paypal or some such.

Dragons of the Rip launching on KS from Burger Becky in the near future as a spiritual successor to Dragon Wars, which itself was something of a ill-fated successor attempt to the original Bard's Tale Trilogy back in the day? THAT is what is going to be a real reach of a project that will need every hook it can get as the "classic" audience is orders of magnitude smaller.

Otherwise, ever wondered what a Vanillaware game would look like quite a bit zoomed out? An answer to this timeless question may yet avail from Indonesia~

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anantarupastudios/boma-naraka-sura/description

I do like the emphasis on, coincidentally, a mythos that Vanilllaware has (not) yet made a game for.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There is also XO, another thing aiming to eat from the big table with FTL---though probably in a different and fancier sense than FTL. Unique among the many contenders to that throne, I think, is this one is out of the SquareEnix Collective side of things:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jumpdrive/xo-a-retro-sci-fi-strategy-game-for-pc-mac-linux/description

The goal isn't outlandish, and they seem to be taking cues from how the Bloodstained KS went as opposed to the "record breaking" Shenmue III---so that bodes well!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It would perhaps be nifty if this Satellite Rush project squeaked by on funding and actually turned out to be a good game, if only for the fact that history went awry and we never got anything approaching a good crop of Smash TV successors over the many years:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/680602475/satellite-rush-sci-fi-roguelike-shooter/description

They really should up the visceral senses of impact and over the top gore factor to be more authentic though.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Just like everybody should want infinite Shadowrun games beget from infinite Kickstarters until the end of time, so too has Larian proven themselves immensely competent and deserving of taking another crack at KS at the very least.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Well, I place a high competence value on polish after the fact/post-release support as a means of ongoing realization of their vision---so Shadowrun's Dragonfall Director's Cut, Larian's forthcoming Enhanced Edition for Divinity: OS, and so on really strike me as the best sort of example for other prospective Kickstarting outfits to aspire to.

I guess earnest intent by hook or crook trumps the strange expectation for "perfection" that I've seen some clamor for with Kickstarter in particular for some inscrutable reason---it is a great thing to see scrappy dev outfits with a lot of heart do their level best to actually deliver a lot of game even if it takes all the myriad pieces getting polished and assembled over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Honestly, between this surprise from Larian and BattleTech at roughly the same time---this is going to almost certainly be the next big instance of projects jockeying back and forth to raise some big money and profile.

BattleTech is probably/hopefully going to raise insane money though---as the fans have essentially been wandering hungry in the desert for so long now. Totally worth disrupting the 1 Shadowrun Campaign a Year trend if that's what it takes! I still elect to greedily hope for both.