Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I only watched few of the Yogscast videos and generally like them, but that video was terrible and if it's any indication of the final game, then dear god. Also "In your face Notch!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Megazver posted:

I think Craftstudio has more chance of accomplishing this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/craftstudio

I have high hopes for this. It's also funded already which is great (backed it anyway, though).

e: vvvvvvvv I know, I meant I hope it turns out great in the future. Same for their game they're making with it. vvvvvvvvv

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 7, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I finally got to watch Jane Jensen's Kickstarter video and it was... weird. I wonder if she can come up with something good, I only played Gray Matter and it was fun, but I can see how someone can hate the end of the game. Also loved the music.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

That loving Sned posted:

I know that if the project doesn't reach the target in the time limit, all the backers are refunded, but what happens if the project is cancelled after that, during development?

As far as Kickstarter is concerned, nothing. It's stated during the pledging process that there are no guarantees.

"Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. The claims and responsibilities of this project are solely its creator's."

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Seriously, that's about as believable. I remember when I was 13 and had a credit card and 500 bucks to throw around. Good times.

My thoughts exactly. I don't expect their parents to let them use their credit card to pay for a non-existent game. 500 bucks no less, haha.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yep, and if he needs to hire a guy who knows who to hire how can you ever know if he's even smart enough to know if the guy he hired is not just a dumbass like him so it's like recruiting himself :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Eh, I just watched the Republique pitch video and it looks all kinds of amazing, but only Apple devices, no PC? :negative:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
And if it's at least half as good as it looks it's going to own. I loved both Arx Fatalis and DMoM&M so seeing them make another game is :flashfap:.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Didn't see it posted before, but Yogsventures is 100% funded. Now we'll just have to wait and see what comes out of it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I know this is petty but I wouldn't donate to a guy who's head is literally the shape of an egg :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Oh you mean the one that didn't even had Kate Archer in it and wasn't even named No One Lives Forever? That's a spin-off, not a sequel. It's also lovely.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It technically classifies as a sequel in the scope of this discussion

No, it doesn't. Spin-off is a spin-off, but I agree and understand that's why they stopped making more NOLF games, although maybe they should've took the hints and stopped making lovely spin-offs and get back Kate Archer and all we liked about the previous games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I didn't really think it will get that far, I was just trying to make a point :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Hope Indiegogo gets it poo poo together and then gets media coverage because so many awesome games that would be funded in a blink on KS are not getting fully funded.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I thought they already had a VA for the main female protagonist, are they just going to oust her or something? The other option is to put Hale to some minor role in which case it's a total waste of money and talent.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Are there any news at all regarding Takedown or has it gone totally silent?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Harlock posted:

If you missed out on the Kickstarter, they'll accepting $15 over Paypal for a copy of the game and access to the documentary/forums/whatever.

http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/

I am probably dumb but where exactly do I click to pay? Or does it work in a different way?

e: for some reason, Firefox doesn't display the bottom part with the PayPal button so I had to use Chrome

VVVVV yeah, found out about that...

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 12, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I agree that there's a lot of zombie games, but there sure as hell ain't enough or even too much of good zombie games. Project Zomboid is shaping up to be a good game, Dead State might be good, Left 4 Dead games are solid co-op fun, Dead Island kinda sucked but I think it did the zombie thing very well. I have yet to play Day Z because I am striving really hard to persuade myself to shell out 20 euros just because of a mod. I played some other but they were largely forgettable as you might guess by the very fact I do not remember them...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The girl in the Carmageddon update video really reminds me of my friend as far as the voice is concerned. Scary stuff when she wants to :ohdear:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I am still amazed how can someone navigate and play the levels in Cloudberry Kingdom. It's like those videos of Guitar Hero when poo poo is flying in at light speed and the player manages to press the right buttons perfectly anyway. It makes my head :psyduck:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Huh? What? I've been playing Cloudberry Kingdom, mostly Escalation mode(because as of right now that's the only way to use a hero with custom physics), and it seems totally reasonable. It doesn't even get difficult until like level 30+ on Escalation. Even then it's not totally insanely hard like Super Meat Boy or anything. I'm sure it could be if you cranked everything up to the hardest possible settings but cloudberry kingdom is a game with a high difficulty ceiling AND a low difficulty floor.

Also, I can vouch that Cloudberry Kingdom is pretty fun if you like platformers. A word of warning though I find that the default heroes control a little weirdly but if you make your own guy and tweak the physics it's great, very responsive.

I meant the levels in the videos on their KS page. I am not aware of the actual playable levels.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yes, Sim is the one singing the trololol song during the GOG announcement and appears in most of their updates. I suppose she's a regular employee at SS but I didn't really do any research on that. She seems to be pretty chill, as is nobby, the main guy.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Occupation posted:

Fine, but either they should provide coverage of all gaming KSes (I'm not even arguing for equal coverage; just any coverage at all), barring ones that are scams/illegal in some way, or none of them. It's not like they have the scarcity of news inches that plagues traditional news media.

Basically there's no reason to not keep their readership as informed as possible. Plus, it brings into question their obvious editorial bias (as seen with Republique).

Why should they cover all of them? :psyduck: We get it, you hate RPS, but what the gently caress. They should cover just whatever the hell they want to...

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Let's face it, if a woman so much as looks at a video game on a shelf that isn't Diner Dash, a very large and vocal amount of people on the internet will jump down her throat.

What, why? :psyduck: Pardon me if I'm totally ignorant of an apparently big problem.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I understand the admins not wanting the forum to be overrun by random people promoting their scam kickstarters but stuff like Dead State that is very much legit and the thread wasn't even posted by the dev? Seems weird.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

buttopticor posted:

Personally, this thread has given me all the updates about Kickstarters I might want, that aren't contained in the individual Kickstarter pages. I figure if a game hasn't come out yet, then all the information we have comes from the Kickstarter page itself, and if there's something really special that warrants its own thread for more discussion than goes on here, I imagine the Games mods would allow the thread.

Updates, sure, but not specific discussion. Every project doesn't warrant its own thread but as Megazver said, notable ones do, I feel. I can't even imagine what horror would it be to discuss Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and other stuff in a single thread. It would be a mess.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Overemotional Robot posted:

If anybody else likes pinball and the Twilight Zone there's this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts/243165?ref=activity

They just added a Star Trek: TNG pinball machine as a stretch goal which is pretty rad. This thread originally pointed me toward them and I'm really excited for this.

I didn't know such a thing even existed, but that is some impressive stuff. From what I've gleaned it doesn't exist for PC, will it ever? I'd love to play it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

illiniguy01 posted:

implying roguelikes aren't games

Boy, do I have some news for you.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 13, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Star Guarded posted:

Thanks for the post. I realize this was a massive funding source, but it's insane that the video has 146,000 views yet only 187 people pledged from it.

I assume they are taking their data from referers and those are very unreliable, because people might outright disable them, thus the user will be thrown on the "unknown source" heap.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Verdugo posted:

Cydereal, for what it's worth,

is the reason I didn't pledge. I find TotalBiscuit so totally annoying that I won't support anything he covers.

This is the stupidest thing I've read whole week, bravo. What if he starts to cover every game that comes out, you won't play anything until the rest of your life?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Sigma-X posted:

You'd think for a game that raised a few million dollars they could afford a senior artist at $70k-$80k a year instead of a junior at $40k a year.

If I can look at the game for hours without giving me a headache that's enough for me as long as the rest is great.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Hakkesshu posted:

If that happens, I'd almost like it to not have any combat at all. I'd really like to see what Obsidian could do with an adventure game.

I agree wholeheartedly. Not that I didn't enjoy the original game but I'd like to see this very much.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Shalinor posted:

My purse just kind of opened in a blur, and then there was a credit card, and now I'll finally have a proper new isometric RPG :neckbeard:

This just happened to me, so very strange!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Chunjee posted:

Am I the only one a little disgusted that Project: Eternity got $1,100,000+ with zero game footage? They have an impressive resume and I really need an RPG to recover from Diablo III but come on.

First I've ever heard of Ouya and I can't wait to watch this trainwreck.

Without the money no game will be made - of course there is no footage. You think that by having alpha footage the project would be protected from failure? On Kickstarter there are both games which need the cash to pull them through the major stage of development and they can showcase a demo. Then there are promises, ideas, whatever you call it, and those won't happen without the money.

Am I disgusted? More like thrilled! Ff this is going to be a trainwreck I'll be very surprised considering their track record.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
But, mom! Old-school games killed my dog!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Tangentially related, I just randomly happened to land on the Dominique Pamplemousse demo page (it had Indiegogo campaign) and I wasn't prepared for... that. It's kinda awesome.

What I really wanted to know, though, what music genre or style are the loops playing in the background and/or whether anyone knows of something that's buyable and similar to this because it rocks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

One Eye Open posted:

It sounds like a mixture of 40s film noir soundtrack with a hint of dark cabaret. Depending how you look at it, it is very good soundtrack music, considering she plays it all herself!

Thanks! If anyone got tips on this kind of music I'm all ears!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Megazver posted:

You could just ask her on her blog.

Yep, I did and she didn't address that point, unfortunately.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Occupation posted:

That's because it's an Obsidian project and being an Obsidian fan demands myopia and staunch, vitriolic defense of any slight against the company, real or imagined, and a tacit refusal to acknowledge the reality that Obsidian makes mistakes and is sometimes Bad at Things.

No? How does being a fan prevent any of these? People never said that Alpha Protocol or Planescape: Torment were perfect games. It's the writing, choices and consequences, etc. that get the praise but combat and gameplay lag behind.

If you think about it they could have a) went for something extravagant and not so overdone and maybe/probably? failed to reach the goal b) went with the classic, reach the goal and more, probably make a great game out of it and with the cash they make out of it keep making games set in different settings.

Of course it might all go wrong but it's definitely looking more solid than a) which would be quite hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

miguelito posted:

- Are zombies in it?

The zombie genre suffers the "Minecraft clone syndrome" - too many of them but 99% are in development, forever in limbo, slapped onto something completely unfitting or never move beyond "but!! zombies". You wouldn't even need all fingers of one hand to count the good zombie games.