Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Aralan posted:

I also really want to know how the guys behind the Class of Heroes kickstarter justify setting their goal to half a million dollars. Double Fine asked for $400,000 to make a game. These guys are asking for more than that to "expand the scope and depth of localization". This game already exists, and they've already licensed the series, they're just translating it and modifying some things and then, I guess, throwing it all in a box with some paper dolls you can play dress up with. I really want this project to fail hard because, honestly, this just feels like they're trying to take advantage of kickstarter and insult their audiences intelligence.

I'm also hoping this project failing will help stop this idea that kickstarters are glorified preorders. I want my money to go towards creating something, not adding a little to a project that will happen either way.

The guy behind the kickstarter is Victor Ireland, the guy who once ran Working Designs. He's batshit crazy, and I would say quite a few aspects of this come from the fact that somewhere in that brain of his, he think's he's up there with the likes of Tim Schafer.

The thing that gets me about the reward tiers is a lot of the stuff in the higher up, more expensive tiers are the things that WD used to put in their big box SEs.

The whole thing just seems misguided and bizarre. The sequel to a game that didn't do very well, on a system that's dead, on a format that won't play on the newest version of the hardware. OH! But the digital version that isn't part of this at all (but you're still kicking in cash to make the translation better apparently) will come out no matter what (PSP and PS3 versions supposedly). Oh, and they want 500,000. Also, it's god damned Victor Ireland, so the game as a whole probably won't be released for a good couple years anyway. It's just loving crazy and misguided. Then again, he drove his last company into the ground trying to talk Sony into okaying his port of a really bad sequel to a good series.

I love Kickstarter, but man there are some people who thought the Double Fine bump was a much bigger thing than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
They added a couple new tiers to the Gaijinworks Kickstarter. For the $20 tier, they added a downloadable version of the soundtrack. They also have a tier that has the downloadable PSN code included in the package! Oh hey, it's only for people who pay $100 or more... Seriously still feeling like they're pretty much the definition of "doing it wrong" with this Kickstarter so far. :/

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
It's kind of interesting watching Vic's posts kinda growing a bit more bitter and annoyed as the Kickstarter donations start to taper off. At one point he states they didn't put in the Kickstarter presentation that the 500k will be going for English dubbing because they believed the funding was a done deal, and it wasn't needed. Now that they're unsure about funding, they won't be doing any dubbing other than the opening song. Oh, and no Japanese company is going to want to work with them anymore if this doesn't go through, so all of their other plans will die. Just really... reactionary, increasingly bitter sounding stuff.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ah, I knew it was that horrible project, just didn't know where to look to find the bitching. I'm glad to see it's not doing that well (more money for better translation? really?).

Sorry, yeah it's the NeoGaf thread I was referring to. I should have been more specific. Looking at the Kickstarter for it again, it still amazes me that he's allowed to put the project up there, the primary reason for it being the CE of the game, and he pretty literally gives no details about what is going to be in the box. I mean the tiers have little trinkets that get added, but the base boxed CE, the central reason for the existence of this whole thing, is completely undefined. I'm kind of surprised that's allowed by Kickstarter itself.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

Another forum (not GAF) I read had a thread about this kickstarter, and it's some of the most battered-wife syndrome poo poo I've read in a long time.

Remember, this is the same kickstarter that

• Has no description of what the collector's edition actually entails
  • Has the lowest tiers of rewards be thank you emails
  • Includes as a "reward" your name in compile code, which is literally inaccessible in any way, shape, or form
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched at the ludicrous price of fifty-nine dollars, which doesn't seem so bad until you realize that it's a loving PSP game and, worse, it's on UMD, which the latest version of the PSP hardware doesn't even support
  • Has, as the first reward tier for the project that actually includes the project being pitched in a format the vast majority of PSP owners will be able to use at the even MORE insane price of one hundred loving dollars
  • Is attempting to fund the CE of a sequel to a poorly-received, poorly-selling Wizardry clone on PSP
  • Will have the game come out regardless of if the proposal succeeds or fails
  • Is holding a better localization hostage
  • The lowest possible tier to donate to just simply see your name in the credits, literally just a line saying "thanks for supporting the game", is at five hundred loving dollars

And yet still people were spending $100+ on this. Why? Because they were hoping that it'd influence Gaijinworks to bring over/provide CEs of games they actually wanted to play. Like, that was the reason they were donating. Most of the donators didn't even want the game, they just wanted Gaijinworks to localize some other, more desired japanese game. It's really the weirdest loving thing, talking to a backer for this project, since there's this real Stockholm Syndrome-esque "Oh, I know they're treating me terribly and this is a huge loving grift RIGHT NOW, but maybe in the future..."

Okay, to be fair, the Kickstarter was specifically for the UMD CE, so the only package they were planning for sale of the UMD was the CE box, so that tier makes sense (in context of the Kickstarter, not that the kickstarter itself makes much sense).

The rest of your complaints, I get you. Maybe not with the fervor you're throwing it out there with, but I agree with your points. It's weird, Working Designs sincerely has some of the most loyal fans out there. I loved them way back when no other companies were doing what they did, but over time they got to be pretty irrelevant, and their changes just stood out as being more aggravating than welcome. I really think Victor thought people's nostalgia for him and his old company (remember, this is a guy that used to talk frequently about a fan literally kneeling down and kissing his feet as he left a meeting at E3) was on the level of Tim Schafer/Wasteland. I kind of wonder what's going through his mind now after getting what, only around 10% of what he needs after several days.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Dixie Flatline posted:

Replay Games are a shovelware company who bought the rights and then got Al Lowe involved. It seems to me they're just hiding behind him for credibility. If Al Lowe really cared he'd be kickstarting that Sam Suede:Undercover exposure game he was designing but never got a publisher for.

As far as I can tell, four of their founders worked all worked for Sierra, one of which all the way back from the start, two of them had hands in the Gabriel Knight series, and one of them even worked for SirTech on the Wizardry series. If anything, it sounds like they brought on Al Lowe because they wanted to work on LSL, not just hiding behind him for credibility, since at least a couple people there were with Sierra longer than Lowe himself.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

So the hilarious trainwreck of failure that is the Class of Heroes 2 kickstarter finally received clarification on what, exactly, this kickstarter is meant to fund:

So...beyond the physical CE, most of the poo poo they're promising to include in the game is stuff Gaijinworks should've done in the first place. Like, as in, the game is gonna be noticeably worse if these features aren't funded. If it wasn't clear this project was an out-and-out threat from Vic Ireland to hobble a videogame unless its fans gave him money, it is now.

It's funny. Up until a few days ago Vic stated that if the Kickstarter didn't get funded, the opening and closing songs would be the only thing that DID have English VA in the game. Interesting to see how that's suddenly changed.

Honestly? I want to like this. I want to want it to succeed, but he just seems like he holds back or changes details every other day. It's also funny to see all the things that will be missing of the Kickstarter doesn't go through, yet still not have ANY idea of what will go in the deluxe box, what was at least originally supposed to be the main point of this thing in the first place.

I also kind of resent the guilt trip he has thrown up over at Gaf about not getting support from Japanese publishers if this doesn't go through. If he knew that from the start, he should have taken this niche game, put up the kickstarter with smaller, more realistic goals, and then once the good-will was established with a successful funding, when he had support for one of these mysterious bigger games, THEN he should have went all out with the CE. Instead, ego won out, and he tried to get massive funding for something his reputation couldn't remotely support anymore. Ugh.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

I think the worse thing is the gaf people who are enabling his bullshit. I know we all expect GAF to be a hive of horrible posters, but the sheer amount of people overzealously defending him to the point of outright flaming people who go "uh, hey, Ireland this is a really poorly thought out idea with a bad rewards system and confusing pitch" is insane. It's, in my opinion, a significant influence in why Ireland has become more and more threatening and passive-aggressive irt people supporting the kickstarter, because he has this constant strain of sycophants who are assuring him everything he's doing is brilliant and 100% correct.

I get the nostalgia, I really do. Working Designs put out a lot of stuff in an era when the genre got significantly less support. Despite my current distaste for Vic, I have some very major nostalgia for his stuff back in the TG16 days, especially Cosmic Fantasy 2. But honestly, you ask people what they remember most about Working Designs games, and a good majority of the time (I've personally heard/seen) is the swag, not the games, not the translations, not his improvements. I think he just figured that particular tendency would have carried this Kickstarter further. And then a second remake of LSL 1 bypassed Class of Heroes current support in around a day and a half. Man... even I think that's a shame.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

emoticon posted:

Holy poo poo, this is like a time machine back to the 90s. Al Lowe is every uncle you've ever had.

Haha, if you check the internet archive, that site has changed very little since '99, so you're not far off :D

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
To be fair to the guy, he knows why people bought their games at WD back in the day. I'll say it again, when you ask most Working Designs fans what they remember about games like Arc the Lad, and the Lunar games (on PS1) and they'll talk about the elaborate special editions, and all the stuff they came with. It was specifically that nostalgia from fans he was trying to tap into with the Kickstarter. He just did it with the wrong game, and started way WAY too large.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Occupation posted:

Yeah, quite honestly the needless rage and doom-and-glooming seem to be exactly the same as the needless rage and doom-and-glooming back when Steam was new.

Well, Steam didn't exactly launch well. From beta through the first year or so, it was more than a little bit of a mess.

As for the doom and glooming about this, I don't think it's a bad thing to talk about the problems of some of these projects. It can make an interesting conversation if people are able to actually convey their opinions in a rational, informed manner. Though yes, it's the internet, and that's not how it usually happens...

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
New interview with Victor Ireland today. Another game he apparently wants to kickstart is The Idolm@ster. Apparently the big way he wants to take the creep factor out of it, is to make them into boy and girl bands in the vein of N'Sync and such. Fantastic...
Here's the link to the new interview on RPGSite.

Edison Carter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

So first he wants to extort customers by essentially threatening to do a lovely job on a translation if they don't give him $500,000. Next, he wants to take another franchise and gently caress with the original when he ports it over? :v: This guy needs to gently caress right off.

Okay, I'm pretty critical of the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter too, but this is just a bit knee-jerk. He's not extorting money threatening a lovely translation. He's said several times it's just going to be a more literal localization, with no planned "upgrades" to the game, no english VA, no Japanese VA, etc. He's not going to half rear end the translation, he's just not going to go that extra mile to 'murican up the game like he wants to (and like he's essentially wanting to do to Idolmaster). The Kickstarter has plenty to be cynical about already without having to go all apeshit about it.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Furret Basket posted:

AFAIK Interplay still own the license so they would have to wrestle it out of their hands. Volition are under THQ's thumb so it wouldn't happen under their roof. Plus most of the people who were the driving forces behind Freespace have moved on.

I'd like to see a bunch of them all start a new studio with the express purpose of making FS3 happen via Kickstarter. I don't even want to guess how much money I would sink into it.

Yeah, unless someone bought the license and didn't tell anyone, it's still owned by Interplay. I still remember the batshit uproar a few years ago when Interplay was doing their IP firewall and Derek loving Smart ruminated publicly about picking up the Freespace license.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Did you know that Your World has a website? Because I didn't!

http://www.yourworldinc.com/

Jesus Christ... the picture at the top of the page... I'm so loving totally in for like $500 now (no I'm not).

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So Victor Ireland finally got around to posting a video of Class of Heroes 2 today on their kickstarter page. Funny thing is, it's video from the PS3 version. Oh, and about that too. Ya know how he said that regardless of the funding, the digital versions of the PSP and PS3 versions were going to come out? He poked his head out of its hidey hole again over at Neogaf, and when the subject of the PS3 version came up, his story is now "We'd like to (release the PS3 version), but we don't have Sony approval for the game." So yeah, another "definite" detail from him isn't, and the video representing the game is from the version on a different platform. Gotta love that Kickstarter.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Palpek posted:

To add to the most recent Grimrock example - it was actually occupying the 1st spot on the best selling list for 3 days and only now dropped to 2nd. I'd also say that a grid-based dungeon crawler developed by 4 guys is more niche than any JRPG. This happened this week so it might be a good idea for Vic to actually visit a platform he's disregarding at the time he's writing about it. What a joke.

EDIT: Actually I think his ego/lovely character is the problem in all those interviews and the kickstarter too - he's a guy that HAS TO have a fixed opinion on everything he's asked about regardless how much he knows about the subject. So if they ask him about Steam he says some utter bullshit and outright wrong information worded as fact just to voice what he thinks - instead of, you know, saying he hasn't researched the subject just like any normal person would say. Having outright no knowledge on any given topic doesn't help either. I hope this kickstarter will not only tank but will be the first in history to actually burn down.

He's just a guy who got lucky with a fledgling market back in the day. I mean look at the Kickstarter. He framed his kickstarter as one that he was hoping to bring JRPGS back into style with, a genre that he feels is being ignored in this day and age. And he's doing it on a platform that in the past couple years have been not only flooded with games from the genre, but a bunch of really well regarded ones too. He is stuck in the mid-90s completely.

As for him disregarding the PC market, I'm kind of confused. Was CoH2 released on the PC too? I mean in Japan, the Ys series has always been big on the PC too, and the current release was just a localization job. Unless CoH 2 was already released on the PC over there, you would be talking about a ton more work than what he was proposing. Not only that, but the guy can't even make changes to certain mechanics on an already existing game without loving the entire thing up, and throwing it out a window, do you really want to see his crazy, inept rear end actually try to port again to another system too?

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
What the crap O_O Okay, so... The Two Guys From Andromeda are officially back together and have started a new company... No mention of who they're working with yet, or what's going on with the funding, but yeah, there's no way this isn't another Kickstarter thing.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo Elwood wasn't kidding when he said he completely revamped the website: http://www.yourworldinc.com/ :pwn:

loving watch that video. According to what he said just now that crazy bitch just sent that to him out of the blue. Not that I don't believe him but...uh...

The video is amazing. "The storyline of an alien vasion is going to be epic!" Yep, gotta hate those god damned alien vasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Pinch me I must be dreaming, they even got Gary Owens back. :allears:

If they do start a Kickstarter I hope they at least wait a month, my wallet can't take all this nostalgia.

Honestly I'm kind of hoping that's why they didn't announce the game with this. I really hope they're going to give it at least a couple weeks, if not a month or so to launch their campaign. Someone has to have the common sense to realize all these games are, at least by a large %, appealing to similar groups of geeks. They have to allow for at least a good portion of us to have our bank accounts recover.