Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

emoticon posted:

If someone tells you his very first game is going to be exactly like a famous best-selling game, but better, run for the hills. Chances are poor that it will be anything resembling good.

This is not it at all. I was going to be confused by people not getting what they're trying to do with this game but I guess it's explained pretty terribly and only makes sense if you've played Minecraft and watched lots of their videos.

Anyway, it's not going for the minecraft approach at all. It's trying to be a "game creator" of sorts, where people create little, 1 to two hour adventures with simple tools (this is where the minecraft comes in, the interface for this would be similar), and other people play them. Then the gameplay in them would be like an action RPG lite, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114022296/multi-platform-video-game-release

I'm not quite sure if this is a joke or not, but it's pretty funny regardless.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Multi-Platform Video Game Release got canceled. :(

Here's an article about it! http://www.giantbomb.com/news/a-lesson-in-kickstarter-naivety/4137/

Surprisingly, the guy seems to be a reasonable human being.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, this was unexpected:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero posted:

W-A-R-N-I-N-G-! Tie down your inner fanboy… We’re pleased to announce that Mega Man developer Inti Creates is working on Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! If you’re not familiar with Inti Creates, they’re the studio behind Mega Man 9 & 10, the Mega Man Zero Series on Game Boy Advance, and Mega Man ZX and ZX Advent....and now Mighty No. 9!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/600876

Maybe they could have a big bump in backers now, please? They're never gonna reach those strech goals otherwise.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

WayForward are a group of pretty cool dudes and you can watch them play through Shantae (and a bunch of other games) for the final 24 hrs of their kickstarter right here: http://www.twitch.tv/wayforwardtv

You should do it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rivensteel posted:

Just saw this, love the pixel art. They have some in-engine footage as well, though not a ton of gameplay besides whacking some trees in a forest and a cave. Buy-in at $10 for the first 1800 (!) backers seems pretty reasonable.

Man, I'm getting tired of this exact artstyle. Pixel art is fine, I love pixel art. But, this loving almost-SNES style every-rpg-ever pixel art should just go die in a fire. Pixels are not an artstyle and using them will not excuse you from having actual art direction. Like, look:

I'm sure you sprited that forest all by yourself but what is there that distinguises it

from the three

thousand other forests

from other similar indie games?

It's just so super sterile. But of course it is still better than just straight up Bad Art and it doesn't really distract from the game, so I can't really complain too much.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

A good poster posted:

Heart Forth, Alicia got funded, like, fuckin' immediately.

These guys should really be commended for not starting the campaign with stretch goals to the millions like loving everybody seems to do. Nothing deflates a nice kickstarter like seeing "At the base goal, we can bring you this bare-bones, simple thing, but if you give us ten times more money..." I guess I understand wanting to get at least some money out of the campaign instead of failing outright because of a too high goal, but something about the attitude really bugs me, seeing as originally stretch goals happened because people got so much money they wanted to expand the scope of the project, not the other way around.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gaspy Conana posted:

Nothing wrong with it functionally. The risk is losing lazy potential backers who don't wanna mess with anything other than good ol' :911: $$$.

I've been wondering about this: Is there some sort of actual problem here with exchange rates, relating to how kickstarter doesn't actually take your money until it's over? Or is it literally just "I don't want to spend two minutes figuring out how much money this means".

I mean, me and the rest of europe have to back in $$ all the time anyway so if such a problem exists I can't see it being very problematic.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWUJfIotfU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I kind of love how much the game is literally Banjo-Kazooie. I expected something similar, 3D platforming, collecting, etc. But they just decided to do a Mighty N.9 and just swap everything for something almost, but not entirely, similar and call it a day. The bat is even female just to drive it home!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Pokemon MMO is something fans have been demanding for ages, that actually makes me more excited.

They haven't done it not because they hate money but because the idea you have in your head about what it would be like will never actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's a fun game but it's like dark souls in that everybody secretly checks the wiki but doesn't admit to it.

There's currently a really good guide on steam that focuses on giving hints to the puzzle solutions before just giving the answer. It's ideal to keep open alongside the game because sometimes you really do only need that tiny push and then still get to feel like you solved a puzzle, instead of the defeated mood you get when you have to look up the solution to something.

And there's bound to be at least a few puzzles in the game that fundamentally disagree with your brain. Hopefully this is one aspect the sequel improves on.