Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Do they go for the actual level, though, or just pledge the money? I mean a corporation doesn't care about a resin statue and an invitation to a party for two people, right?
Every corporation I've ever worked at had people that just loved to go to whatever gathering they could to party and make connections. Also Obsidian/inXile are filled with people that love collectable crap and it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't somebody at more formal corporations wouldn't totally sneak that statue into a bag to bring home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Kick it forward is going to be interesting.

inXile said they'd consider 200k of sales to be a big hit so if you figure 200k x $40 x .05 you have $400,000 minus Steam or GOG cut that leaves what? $300k or so? I wonder what their plan would be? I imagine one or two really big donations to pet favourites and a bunch of smaller donations to whoever looked interesting to them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Kickstarter right now is just filling the mid-tier gap created by the blockbuster mentally publishers have. There's a real gap between ultra-cheap cobbled together by one person for $500 games and $20milion+ games. There's not much reaction because for now it's too small scale to have any real meaning. The whole 'sit on the shaft' deal you mentioned was exactly how they view it. It was only worth it if they kept the IP and the developer did all the kickstarter legwork.

It won't be too much longer (or probably already is happening) where a few publishers get wise and start to farm out old dead IPs to small studios and have them kickstart it so they can gauge the market, have none of the risk and keep all the IP/profits for themselves.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Carecat posted:

Is it enough? Kickstarter can reliably cover 2-5 million but that isn't a lot of medium budget money even for 15 years ago so they'd have to at least match it in private investment.
The thing is when you're not licensing the latest 3-D engine, paying for VA and have a cinematic department for cutscenes 2million is enough to make a pretty good game. Gameplay and story are dirt cheap to produce.

Look at how well Wasteland 2, Project Eternity and Shadowrun Returns gameplay videos were received. People know they're not going to get Blizzard/Bioware graphics and VA so the groups can just focus on what their particular fans want.

Also you have a case of Divinity Original Sin where they had enough money for the game but wanted more money for polish. I'm willing to bet that the next generation of kickstarter games will feature this a lot where inXile etc have the money but don't want to bet the company on each new game.

So as long as you have seasoned developers that understand the limitations 2-5million is definitely viable for mid-range games. The troubles are going to be around new game makers that underestimate their costs. They see they got 1million and go out and license the Unreal 5 engine and promise full VA and cutscenes and run out of money.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I got the X-pack for Defense Grid and theoretically I'll get the sequel if they ever make it.

on the wait list I have
Shadowrun in June
Dragon Commander in July
Wasteland in Oct
Original Sin in Nov
Project Eternity Spring next year
Torment 2015.

Shadowrun I'm least excited for and Project Eternity is the one I'm most excited for. I kinda wish I'd just flat forget my projects until closer to release. It'd be great just to have them show up one day.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 16, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Satanos posted:

My list is this sans Shadowrun. I just don't have enough faith in the Shadowrun guys not to gently caress it up.

Oh, but my list does include Shovel Knight. That game looks aces.
My entire experience with Shadowrun is the old Snes game so to me it's just a cyberpunk turned based RPG that cost me about £12. They'd have to gently caress it up pretty hard for me not to get my money's worth out of it.

I'm also pretty easygoing about game value in general anyway. Even if I dislike aspects of a game its rare I feel cheated or anything.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Lord Lambeth posted:

How is it a money grab if it's entirely free to play?
A lot of people were pissed they released a F2P multiplayer part of the game instead of focusing on the singleplayer and getting that out sooner.

The developers claimed it was to help balance the other aspects of the game and part of their design to begin with (though it turned into a bigger project as time went on). I haven't been following the game close though so maybe something else happened.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

InShaneee posted:

According to their update from about a week ago, yes.

Regarding the Shadowrun/DRM thing, have any of the bigger Kickstarters just flat out said "This is gonna be on Steam and nowhere else"? I see a lot of people frothing at the mouth about the evils of Steam in various project comments, but I can't imagine it'd actually keep a solid project down.
Thing is that unless you're already established with Steam getting onto Steam is a crapshoot. Indie developers have pretty much zero chance of getting a slot on Steam during their kickstarter phase. Offering a Steam only release is pretty much impossible and I'd honestly avoid any kickstarter that wasn't someone like Obsidian that made such promises because I'd know they were putting the cart before the horse already.

So it really makes sense to say 'DRM-Free looking into a Steam release' that way you get the anti-DRM people and the people that actually prefer the Steam platform.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Tying update emails to reward tiers has to be one of the dumbest kickstarter things I've heard about.

Not only is it just a good idea to keep the people that pre-ordered your game informed but good word of mouth will cause more excitement at launch anyway. Making people believe no progress is being made because they didn't give you enough money to bother keeping them updated it just flat stupid.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mordaedil posted:

If it wasn't done like that, you'd end up giving away alpha and beta codes and download links to people who did not pay for the tier to get in that early.
Why would this happen? Update email - Goes to everyone. Rewards - Go to people that paid for the rewards.

This can't be that hard to manage or they shouldn't be trying to make a game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

AG3 posted:

I'm a bit surprised that Larian are giving away Dragon Commander with all tiers above $95 (as well as 2000 copies at $65). Considering that it's a $40 game and not even out yet, it strikes me as cannibalising their sales since there's probably a decent overlap of people who would've bought it at full price and the people donating to the Kickstarter.
Well as they're self publishing any sales they have go to fund future games anyway...though I do agree they seem to be way too generous and hope it doesn't hurt them in the long run.

Also it's quite shocking how many of the tiers have Original Sin x 2 it'll be interesting to see how well the game sells considering how many people will probably end up with 2 copies and just give the second one away.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I know it wasn't a popular kickstarter but Defense Grid 2 just announced they have begun production and it will be released first half of next year.

And I personally have to say HELL YES! I loved DG and more than got my money out of that game. I kinda figured I wouldn't see DG2 for at least a couple of more years as the kickstarter never reached beyond the base Xpack funding level (one of the reasons it was a failure was they totally screwed their pitch up IMO).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

RottenK posted:

$65 is only there because they made a mistake. Stop fleecing Larian and add 30 bux you jerk :mad:

Congrats
I know you were joking but they even added an identical $80 tier voluntarily later so at worst an extra $15 to soothe his conscience.

This has been quite the engaging kickstarter for me. Plenty of gameplay videos and coverage. It's cleared the most important stretch goals though it doesn't look like it's going to hit the final 1mil goal but though I'm sure they could do interesting things with NPC schedules and weather patters effecting spells it's no big loss to the overall game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
An often overlooked bug for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was it only let you install to your default installation folder. Trying to change it during installation didn't do a thing. This was a hard coded bug they couldn't fix without hacking together a customer installer.

The installer still checked your default drive for space even after you selected the different drive and they said they'd never be able to change this. So if like me you had tons of room on a D: partition but only had windows on a small C: partition you were out of luck.

The only fix for this was changing the default install location in your registry install the game and change it back.

First time that installing a game was so hard that I had lost interest in playing the game by the time I figured out how to do it. This was a time where every game purchase was something I had to budget for. I still haven't played a single minute of that game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I do have to say Stonehearth looks really interesting. I would like a building sim that's a super casual Dwarf Fortress meets Minecraft. I just don't have the patience anymore to sit and hash through super complex menus just to figure out how to make a bedroom but I'd still like a sorta management/building sim that lets me dick around.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I've put money down on Stonehearth now. I really think the guys behind this seem to really have good ideas. The 2 hour mammoth building video really sold me on it.

I have to say this is the first kickstarter where I don't really give a crap about any of the stretch goals. I just want the base game I don't care about Co-Op and city raids. Just give me a deep city building sim/dwarf fortress that doesn't have a poo poo interface please.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Stonehenge looks really cool, but are there any actual gameplay videos of it, preferably with UI? It looks like a real minecraft-alike, which is fine, but I can't imagine playing it as an RTS.
Do you mean Stonehearth? If so there's no UI yet. If you go to here and skip to about 2:00 you can see pretty pre-alpha footage of them gathering wood and building a house. He comments at some point that they only have one action key working right now. If you're patient there's a couple of 2+ hour videos of them building characters and talking about the game in general. Worthwhile if you're interested in that kind of thing.

It's closer to a DwarfFortress like than minecraft I'd say.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

The Gripper posted:

Yeah their business model is basically to make a chart that people pay attention to and that requires other people to spam advertise to actually benefit from. It's dumb and they should feel bad.
What? How is 'make something useful and make money from it' a bad idea? A hotlist that is tied to what their community is looking at is hardly unreasonable.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm still failing to see the problem. It's their 'hotlist' they can order it how they want? If other people are misunderstanding how it works they should put 'Kicktraq's Hotlist' on it or something but other than that it's not up to them to beat people over the head with it.

Also telling people that if they want to be part of their list they have to tell people how the list works is pretty straightforward. Though I admit that FAQ was pretty weird/lovely.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Comrade Flynn posted:

I grow increasingly happy I backed Stonehearth. They just seem to...get it.
I was getting worried that with all their stretch goals they were going to promise more than they could deliver considering how much funding they were getting. Newest update? 'We've already achieved a lot of stretch goals, which is incredible, but at the same time we don't want to bite off more than we can chew. So we're reducing the number of minor stretch goals to ensure that we can finish every goal in time for the game's release.'

Not overpromising I take as a really good sign. They've also dropped plenty of hints or outright stated that they plan to keep adding to the game as long as it's profitable so if they don't reach a goal they'll patch it in later which sounds like they're serious about post release support.

I didn't really care too much about most of their stretch goals to this point but I have to say the one they've added with three different kingdoms sounds good. I can see my wife and I picking different ones and seeing how well they work together in co-op.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SaltyJesus posted:

I have a question, how do the Stonehearth double packs work? I read the update where they explain it and came away confused. I'm in for $50 right now, I'd like to add another copy of the game preferably also with $50 tier perks. What should I do?
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here. At $50 you'd get 2 beta copies with the puppy/kitten add ons. From their phrasing the puppy/kittens will be tied to the beta copies so if you had just one beta you'd only end up with one copy of those but at $50 you should be good. I'm sure they wouldn't care if you shared the artbook between yourselves.

If you're saying you want to add a 3rd copy there doesn't seem to be a way. Maybe donate another $50 through paypal? You'd end up with an extra copy but I'm sure you could find someone willing to split the cost for the extra copy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Chairchucker posted:

That seems like a slightly different dynamic to a donation.
Eh if you donate to a charity that promises to build a poor house and send you a coffee mug I'm pretty sure they are required to attempt to build a house and send you a mug not just take your money and run. This is just a non-charity version of that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

If Stonehearth hits the $600k stretch goal, then I'll be excited enough to upgrade from the two copies tier to the two beta access passes tier, but right now it isn't looking great. They hit $400k four days ago and haven't made a full $50k since then.

Maybe they'll post some character art for the Engineer and Geomancer or something and that would help. They got a bump after the Magma Smith stuff went up.
I'm not sure why you're feeling pessimistic as they've been making 20kish a day for the last few days so $150 for the last five days is certainly reasonable with the end of the kickstarter surge that always happens.

Given their endless comments about after release support there's little doubt factions will be patched in later even if they don't make their stretch goal now.

Paypal totals: 19k

edited the heck out of this post to phrase things better.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 24, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Verdugo posted:

and kick it forward stupidity, which just eats up cash that could go to development anyway.
I don't know anything about this game but Kick It Forward comes from the profits after the game is released not development cash.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Dreylad posted:

No kidding, I was hoping that they'd just hit $400k for the coop multiplayer, but at this rate they may very well hit $600k before the end of the campaign.
Short of the world ending there's no way Stonehearth isn't going to hit their 600k goal. So factions are definitely going to be in. I'd say with their paypal totals they may even be over 600k already if not they're going to hit it today.

If anyone hasn't looked in awhile they pretty much have everything they wanted and then some. There's Co-Op, PVP (where a copy of your friend's city is imported in you don't actually lose your city and have to start over) and soon factions. It's going to be a pretty complete game and for the amount the creators have invested it's likely they'll keep adding more as time goes on.

Edit: Though quite long check out their Twitch Videos and listen to him talk. He's clearly got a good grip on what makes games fun and what makes things look interesting. Hopefully they'll be able to translate all that to in-game mechanics.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 27, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

signalnoise posted:

What's the over-under on Stonehearth being something I can play with my wife
My plan is to play it with my wife so I'm hoping pretty good.

It looks like a cute but deep city builder so how does your wife feel about management sims? With the level of modding they seem to want if your wife doesn't like an aspect of it I'm sure you could change it about.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Since hitting their 600k goal Stonehearth has been disappointingly silent. As Rivensteel noted it kinda feels like they were caught off guard by the final week surge. At this point 650k is a lock and 700k isn't out of the question depending on their paypal totals.

I hope they just go for 'more polish' stretch goals at this point. I'm not really sure what else they could add that won't start taking away from the game as a whole. I'd rather they have a small focused team instead of feature bloat.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They made a post earlier today in their comments section.
Thanks for that.

Man they sure do know the right things to say. Every time I've had a concern they say exactly what I want to hear. I really hope their design chops are up to their promises/philosophy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

DancingPenguin posted:

Edit: 650k almost seems like a guarantee with the rate it is going at, think it will go all the way to 700k?
I recall that they wrote somewhere that they wanted more ideas for stretch goals.
With their paypal totals (which haven't been updated in days) They're pretty much at 650k. 700k is looking more and more likely as the pledges continue to be quite brisk. I wouldn't say it was a certainty yet but I'd say its getting pretty likely.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rivensteel posted:

I'm a bit worried about the $1m SimCity stretch goal. It sounds really cool, but I have doubts that they can beat EA/Maxis at their own game with a fraction of the resources and manpower.
SimCity is bad because of their idiotic agent system, poor coding and the fact they tried to force it to be always online for a singleplayer game. I doubt Stonehearth will be making the same choices.

That said 1mil is pretty much a pipedream so it's not really anything we have to worry about.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wow that has to be some of the worst tiers I've ever seen. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to kick in for this one but if I do there's no way in hell I'd do anything but the $20 one.

Doesn't look like it's going to hurt their funding but man that's pretty cheap/shoddy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

As someone relatively new to Kickstarter, has the past month been relatively crazy with Stonehearth and Hex? Or are massive funding for "shut up and take my money" level projects getting consistently common?
I've gone from 'Kickstarter what a stupid idea.' to 'Kickstarter is now a part of my monthly gaming budget'.

Every month there's at least one project that I go from having a vague interest in to obsessively following and having to find reasons not to donate more.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

How many of those have paid off yet? My gaming budget for this month is absolutely blown now already ("I'm looking at this Grand King tier as an investment, honey. I'll totally resell the cards later.")

I'm not sure if bookmarking this thread was the best idea I've had all year or the worst.
Well if you're talking tangible rewards not many. I got an Xpack for Defense Grid and a free copy of The Bard's Tale. Also the sick obsession of following several projects (my wife keeps saying I get my money's worth out of just watching the kickstarters).

In theory I'll be getting
Shadowrun Returns next month.
Dragon Commander In July
Wasteland 2 in Oct
2 copies of Divinity Original Sin in Nov
Defense Grid 2 2014
Project Eternity 2014?
Torment 2015?
2 copies of Stonehearth 2014?

The few I wasn't sure about I paid the minimum because a game would have to be pretty awful not to get at least $15-$20 of fun out of it. On the ones where I was a little more confident I usually paid a bit more for extras that I typically didn't even care about just to give the developer more cash.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Ledenko posted:

Looks like Spintires is going to make it, it's trending to just about hitting the goal. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what trends signify, but I grew really excited for the project and I do hope they make it!
Trend is just the daily average * days left + current total. It's pretty much useless when it comes to predicting what a kickstarter will do though it's interesting to look at.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SupSuper posted:

If I had to ignore everything and everyone involved in some kind of "internet drama", I'd be living in a cave by now. :v:
Obviously everyone will have their own standards but there's a line between 'kinda a prick/troll' and 'crazy racist homophobe'

Edit: that may have come off harsher than I intended. Just to be clear I wouldn't stop myself from buying a game by say Phil Fish because of his online trolling. I wouldn't give money to TenNapel

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 31, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was really hoping this first update would sell me on the game but goddamn don't be so coy.

Thinking about the kickstarters I followed and enjoyed I've always been more about a strong vision than a bunch of loose ideas. I feel this one is all about ideas with no vision behind it (if that makes sense). It almost annoys me that they're getting so much money when much better kickstarters struggled so much to get funded.

Maybe future updates will bring some clarity. Not that they have to worry about winning my $20 over or anything.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I also think that some projects are better suited to stretch goals than others. In the case of the recent wave of cRPGs the people making them had a lot of experience in the genre and assuming your initial budget covers the main quest the game concept is modular enough that you can easily "bolt on" stretch goals like additional playable races/classes or side-quest dungeons.
Yeah it's a pretty silly attitude to have by a game designer that should know better. Of course there's going to be things on a 'would be nice if' list in addition to core features.

Things like extra companions, more areas, more creatures, crafting, strongholds etc etc all make sense for certain genres. In fact I'd be hard pressed to think of many games that wouldn't have something (even cosmetic) that could be added to the game experience without disrupting the core idea but unneeded for the base game to be fully fleshed out.

Even less solid goals like 'increase the game size by 50%' which are a bit hard to define still let the people know where you think the budget is.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Infinitum posted:

What's the success/failure rate like on IndieGoGo? I feel like he's shooting himself in the foot by not running a Kickstarter campaign.

Also I beat Zelda 2 when I was 6 years old :colbert:
Now it's super loving hard :negative:
Tell me about it. I remember beating it as a kid without too much trouble. Couple of years ago I got it on a Gameboy or something got to the final level and just gave up. Oddly something like Contra I can beat now no problem but I was never able to do it without the 30 lives cheat when I was a kid.

I'm kinda glad kickstarter has gone quiet. Let me play the games I already own and pay money for games that are already finished. Don't tempt me with all your fairy dust promises for awhile.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Great Rumbler posted:

Once more from American McGee and Spicy Horse:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spicyhorse/ozombie

Yeah...I just don't know about this. Alice 2 looked really great, but the actually gameplay just really wasn't there. Akaneiro didn't do anything for me at all, art or gameplay.

quote:

Support offline single-player mode, though you'll need to complete a one-time online registration when you first start.

Contain NO form of DRM.
uhh...I don't think they understand what 'no form of DRM' means.

I always was curious about McGee so I ended up with Alice 2 and it went on the backlog pretty quickly. The gameplay just didn't feel right somehow though the world looked interesting.

Edit: also I keep reading that as 'Oh, Zombie' and not 'OZ Ombie' or whatever they are going for. The second just sounds so stupid.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Spiky Ooze posted:

I don't know if it's fair to target Doug Tennapel's jerky personal views. I mean if you expect it to be a part of the product he makes, sure. But if not, why do we have to be all zero tolerance about a human being? Everyone's got flaws.
Obviously you're free to do whatever you like with your money but this isn't some guy that once said a few off color things.

He makes Aids jokes is openly against equal rights uses the old 'you're the one who's intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance' argument. He's a real shitbag of a human being.

quote:

21st: "Lastly, i'm at least thankful you're not equating gays to pedophiles or zoophiles. That's more respectful than some."

DTN: Give me some time all I'll see what I can do. You realize this conversation is going to be used by your people to justify a permanent boycott of my work. They would probably use this argument to justify me not being able to visit anyone in any hospital while they're at it. THis argument isn't about laws and marriage, it's about cultural witch hunts. THere are a lot worse things than not being able to marry your same sex.

21st: "Right now, some states are, in fact, fighting to remove rights from people. Is that right?"

DTN: America has thousands of people's rights taken away every day. Take a number.
He responds to 'at least you're not a total rear end in a top hat' with 'well you just haven't given me time enough yet' and the lovely ending shot of 'oh boohoo you're going to lose rights. So are other people' which doesn't even make sense.

Anyway as I said people are free to do whatever they want with their money and I'm not trying to make any kind of moral argument here just know this guy is scum and people that want to see him fail have good reason to.