Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sankis posted:

The Carmageddon dudes should really have put limits on some of the reward tiers. I'd hate to see them blow a ton of money just printing up t-shirts and card games.

By the looks of it 90-95% of backers will put in less than 100$ and won't get anything REAL PHYSICAL so I wouldn't worry about that getting them broke.
Carmageddon got good support, probably it will reach 400k goal in less than a week and total with 2 million or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kyrosiris posted:

I know all the prediction modeling and what have you has Carmageddon making it, but... I still can't help being nervous. :ohdear:

They should really put carmageddons 1 and 2 on GOG to remind people what it is all about and score some extra cash.
Surprisingly carmageddon 1 doesn't even look that bad if you use 3dfx version in DosBox - pixelated movies and menus will make you cry but race part is upscaled nicely with nGlide.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Burning Mustache posted:

What? No, it hasn't. It's still $67,000 until it reaches its goal of $400k and Linux and OSX support will come at $600k.

Although with 13 days and just $67,000 left I'm quite glad that they will make their goal pretty drat sure now.

The new reward is in - original Carmageddon+Splat Pack will be sold at gog.com for :10bux: and all pledgers of 25$ or more will get it for free. The total jumped quite a bit already, looks like mostly from people upping their pledges from 15$ tier

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just don't get it. Why zombies in the first place? Why not literally anything else? The issue isn't that you fail to stand out. The issue is that it's the most uncreative choice imaginable. Romantic comedy themes in a video game is a novel idea and I'd like to see somebody do that right, but ugh, zombies. It just makes no sense to me.

It's always zombies, pirates, ninjas, aliens or robots. Current trend is zombies, that'll change to one of the other four next year :)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Cicero posted:

He's not saying that realism automatically makes a game more fun. He's just a swordfighting nerd that is disappointed that there aren't any games around with swordfighting that even attempts to come close to reality. I mean I'm sure he believes it will be more fun for him, but that's different from just saying that it will be more fun in general.

Reality can be useful to draw on though if you want to add depth to gameplay, because it's never simple, and everything tends to have inherent strengths and weaknesses. That seems to be what he's going for here; making deeper, more nuanced swordfighting by mimicking reality to the extent that it is possible in a video game.

Well, he has a point that it is lacking, most games where swords are involved won't even let you choose direction of your strike just execute predefined animation of 1,2 or 3 on targeted bad guy. Personally, I don't think realistic sword control will be fun, swinging and blocking manually was a bit of annoyance in Daggerfall and Mount & Blade and that with only basic direction control.
Most duels with realistic control will end in first strike kill or accidentally cutting off some body part of your own. :)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 11, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Knock-knock got some wallpapers, and you don't even have to back them to get those, although you should, I mean just look at this poo poo

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock/posts/287271
Ice pick lodge clearly got new supply of whatever they smoked while making The Void instead of what they used during Cargo! Quest for gravity.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Did you just put up a game on Greenlight that still needs funding, while registering on these forums to solely promote your game? :ughh:

:ohdear: is becoming a thing now?

Boiled Water posted:

It would make sense if it was though, I've been through all 400 of the current entries and beyond the obviously fake ones half aren't actually finished or even show anything final. It's just crap.
There are legitimately good things in there, but less than 5% by the looks of it.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 31, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

I think they'll retry to take your money automatically again in couple of days, fix your amazon card details and it should get through.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

macnbc posted:

Yo dawg, I made a product to gauge interest in a campaign to gauge interest in a product.

It's like the Inception of game design.

He should go deeper and make a kickstarter for this

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

I am super pumped about a new Elite, but then I played the original way back in the day. I'm kinda worried that the Kickstarter presentation is too wordy and spartan to sway the huge number of people needed to get £1,25 million.

Elite owned hard, but £1,25 million target and £20 to get the game seems steep, especially with nothing to show.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Have anyone been following Death inc? It looks intriguing at first glance but is it good or bad? Doesn't look like it'll make it to goal in its remaining 12 days though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

SupSuper posted:

The core of his code seems to be one massive Python file. So about standard for indie game devs. :v:
I'm not a big Python dude so I can't really analyze it, but somehow I doubt anyone's gonna want to take a stab at that.

It's like early 90s game, except in python instead of C; everything is hard-coded right in that python file, if you'll want to ever change anything at all, even something like a spelling mistake, you'll have to sift through this file to do it. :ohdear:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Coldrice posted:

Hey guys I just launched my kickstarter fort game, Interstellaria

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coldricegames/interstellaria

Looks like it's retro styled for retro style's sake, why obviously jagged diagonals, why does the interface take that much of the screen with empty grey panels, why use the font straight out of DOS era?
Retro is fine, but some retro things are better left in the past, where they belong.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Tufty posted:

I would legitimately play your game if it was about raising pokemons or dragons instead of horses. Can your wife draw dragons? There's a whole other (mostly) untapped market of crazy dragon people - have you ever seen those legions of forum signatures that have wee dragons in them that grow when they get clicked enough times? :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

There are also bronies - even less of a change required to rake in the money from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

What do you think about https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1672987132/space-pioneer ? A space sim with gimmick that real cosmonauts are on the team, but with nothing to show but concept art and big ambitions. Does it have chances?