Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't forget this loving thing, which I believe was posted to their tumblr (though it looks like they took it down)

This image is the first time I heard of the Arkh Project. I legitimately thought it was a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Whack posted:

We're talking about people hearing mean things said to them while they play video games. Instead of asking for thousands of dollars to shed light on this non-issue, people should grow some thick skin and accept the fact that you're going to hear nasty comments when you're online.

It's tragic, I know.

I want to ram my gigantic cock down your throat and ram your tiny rear end in a top hat until it bleeds.

But I digress, I'm really looking forward to that video series.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 8, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Krenzo posted:

I'm surprised they're going with the Half-Life 2 engine for this, and it reminded me of this other HL2 Kickstarter project.

Source is really cheap to license, isn't it? You're not paying through the nose like you are with the Crysis Engine.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Archetypes and stereotypes are basically the same thing. Except archetypes don't negatively affect real people.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

http://www.indiegogo.com/misandryinvideogames?c=home

welp

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I feel like the dudes they chose to put in their pitch are actually pretty varied. Is that just me?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I see lots of burly bald white dudes.

Well I mean you have the sociopathic Kratos, generally good guy Isaac, and dude with a ton of inner conflict Niko. and the completely forgettable leader guy from GoW.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

And one for the Orks

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-sjAICwKg

Now they have a video. 2/3 funded so far

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

No, but you see, it's ~*~sandbox PVP~*~. It totally has a huge silent majority audience just teeming under the surface, waiting for the Right MMO. :allears:

What like All Points Bulletin? (Which I would've bought the poo poo out of it were it a normal single player game. That loving character creator was amazing)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

I feel rude intruding into the fartjar chat, but Stoic has received their physical prizes for The Banner Sage and going to be shipping them out soon. They have a new update up on Kickstarter and a video that shows off the chaos of managing thousands of prizes on your own. They also have this breakdown of how that $732,000 they raised is being used.

I really dislike that kickstarter has become more about the swag than the ideas that people want to get behind. Were I making some revolutionary indie game that would knock people's socks off, I would use all the funding I got on the game, the send out then fancy swag(If I chose to do any) afterwards, when the game makes a profit.

Or alternatively if I manage to come in under budget, that money would be used for the swaggening, if possible.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah there should be a contract that they're obligated to them eventually, even if the game doesn't finish.

That sounded less silly in my head.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So someone made a flash game where you could beat the poo poo out of Anita Sarkeesian

Stay classy internet

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 8, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Has Forge been mentioned? Looks like SMNC meets hard fantasy. Also looks like you can play as a bear. You can have a bear companion! Still, looks pretty cool.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 3, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Josh Lesnick, notable crazy person webcomicker, is making a roguelike crossed with Animal Crossing. Oh and it's going on android devices. They have the modest goal of 4000 bucks and they're already halfway there.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SuperHappy posted:

Yeah, we're... definitely aware of the reality of OUYA, but... we're tryin' to keep the Kickstarter positive and upbeat. We're pretty certain the iOS port will happen now too, though we do need to rack our brains to come up with some higher-tier rewards. Somehow it was easier to do that with my first Kickstarter project, where everything was at least $100.

Thanx for the plug, guys. Luv ya!

Put it on the PC and/or Mac? That's a huge market that might not be interested in a mobile game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Well it's better rendered than other boob shirts, I'll give it that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Orzo posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to 'art' games; I don't think I've ever played a good one. I follow gaming news and read gamasutra, and for the last year they've really been upping the amount of talks and conceptual bullshit handwaving and theorycrafting about what 'games' are and how games 'tell a story' etc etc blah blah blah, so it's a bit of a touchy area.

I'm also tired of the attitude that games must be innovating. They don't. Make a game fun first, and if it's innovative on top of that, great. But innovation without fun is nothing, something that indie developers don't seem to understand.

The best art games I feel are ones that don't make pretensions about it. Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, New Vegas, Portal 2, and Half Life 2. They didn't set out to create ~art~ when they started development, not exactly.

Anyway, listening to pen ward geek out about QWOP and other things convinced me to donate.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure someone has already done the concept of "which ancient warrior would win in a fight". And I think it was with actual physical cards.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shalinor posted:

EDiT: VV I will, just, not with Gravitaz. Once Jones On Fire is out and I see how it does, there's another project in the pipe I intend to Kickstart. Gravitaz would still cost too much to get over the art/polish hump.

oh god that game looks adorable

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

This was great and one really should watch this with an open mind. It's probably easy to get frustrated at first since she critically analyzes the Mario and Zelda franchises, which is quite literally burned into peoples subconscious and might cause some defensive trigger feelings.

But as she says at the end, it doesn't make the games bad, but it's important to still criticize what they do wrong and hopefully we'll get some variety in these games in the future.

I'd personally love a Zelda game where you play as Zelda.

There was one, but it was one of those CD-i games that no one speaks of.

edit: looking them up there were actually two. huh.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There have been half a dozen remakes of Double Dragon. The most recent one, Double Dragon Neon, redid the whole game in 3D.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cicero posted:

Yeah that makes sense. And out of the other major kickstarted games that come to mind, they mostly either have a choice of gender for your character(s) (CRPGs like Project Eternity, Shadowrun, Wasteland, Torment) or they don't really have a protagonist (At the Gates). I think we may have more female protagonist leads in the kickstarted game space than male ones.
A lot of times games default to male protagonist because they're(publishers) are worried it won't sell as well otherwise. Marketing towards the lowest common denominator and all that. With that hurdle removed I'm not surprised we're seeing more female protagonists.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought the male PC was gonna look like that statue they have in the $2000 reward tier.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I finally got a good, long look at the Torment Kickstarter and I have to ask: is George Ziets going to be the 2.5m stretch goal of every Kickstarter Project? If so I can totally get behind that.

I imagine Project Awakening would have succeeded if they had George Ziets as a stretch goal.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shalinor posted:

It would seem Kickstarters are starting to take that stupid "people trust campaigns that use US dollars more" thing seriously. He even explains that they converted it in the video.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Bad, I guess, that people are bad at math / incapable of basic currency conversion?

When it comes right down to it america will always have a bigger market, therefore it will be seen as more likely to succeed.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

He did say this in the comments though

quote:

Thanks (NOT!) for the sensational headline! While I appreciate those of you who read the whole thing, to see better the whole context, even still, this article is skewed to make a sensationalist slant. My point was, that game design is the hardest, but also the most valuable skill to build in the industry. That every company lives and dies based on the talent of its game design team, and that as an industry we are not doing so well creating the talent we need in this industry, because educational systems have not caught up in this area as well as programming and art. I was not trying to toot my own horn, rather state that game design is hard. Ah well. :)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wonder how many are pledging just to say "this kickstarter sucks" and then they'll skedaddle near the end.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That Pinkerton Studio was kickstarted for a pithy 400k, so I'm not really surprised.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

One of these days I gotta make my way through Divinity 2

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doublefine's Broken Age is supposedly coming out in the second quarter this year. Which in normal non-financial speak is sometime in the next 3 months.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Well, that's actually what I want to find out. I know those people exist(Notch is one of them, so of course they do) but I want to find out if the 10 grand backers are mostly that kind of person.

That steve dengler dude basically invests in video games as a job now since he made all of his money in the dot com bubble.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Consortium is about 200 dollars away from complete funding so I suppose you can call it now.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

A person I run in the same circles as put up a pretty interesting Kickstarter for a documentary called GTFO. It basically deals with the harassment that female gamers often face from online gaming communities. It's a topic that I would be inherently interested in, but I'm intrigued by how she is really approaching this from an outsider's perspective. I think right now, the pitch feels a bit unfocused, but I'm optimistic that it just means she'll be developing her thesis as she does her research.

If it adds any credibility to the project, she actually works in TV Production, currently on Anthony Bordain's new show.

If Anita Sarkeesian's kickstarter is anything to go by, you should advertise this on the MRA reddit.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

How is it a money grab if it's entirely free to play?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Jim Sterling has gotten a bit better lately and less trolling in his ramblings.

I suspect this is because he realize the industry is doing it for him at this juncture.

That specific quote they decided to use is pretty bad though. Foreskin puts me off of video games somehow.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dudes behind Death Inc are closing their doors

Bummer, I would have loved to play it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Color me mildly interested. Would help if there was a video.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I would just frame it and put it above the fireplace.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Will there be an ipad version for Bitcrobes? I don't know how hard that would be to port.