Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I have been after a game like this for ages, arcade racers are my favourite thing. If this had multiplayer in it's base goal I would be donating - without that it is a lot less attractive. The graphics are really, really polished and authentic to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So did Haxel start out as a demake of halo? I see halo maps (that was hang em high or whatever, right?), halo gun (plasma rifle at the start of the vid) and model lookalikes, and even the hud looks extremely similar. The name sounds like 'halo' and 'voxel' crammed together.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

ClickerMonkey posted:

Yes it started out as a remake, so the initial release will have many maps from Halo (people like familiar things). Following releases will have new themes and new map packs I hope.

Are you aware of IP and copyright laws regarding stuff like this? I don't know enough to say whether it covers maps or not, but they look really, really similar to the originals (as much as they could in voxels).

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I think the biggest problem with all these metroidvania games I see on kickstarter is that all of them seem to have a... cutesy pixel art style I guess? None of them seem to have the atmosphere that helped Super Metroid and Castlevania so great.

I agree - I think gothic tropes are more important to this subgenre than most people realise (not just talking visually); they really contribute to the overall sense of the sublime.