Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys, what'd you think of the Charles Dexter Ward kickstarter not making what it should?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/h-p-lovecrafts-the-case-of-charles-dexter-ward

Looks like a great project to me. I'd chalk it up to asking too much, and the public not willing to fork over cash before their first kickstarter, Asylum, is completed.

It's a little worrying to me since I'm actually in pre-production on a Lovecraftian-spoofing adventure we'd love to kickstart, and I really want all good things Lovecraft to succeed, and it looks like Charley Ward ain't gonna make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Peas and Rice posted:

Some bullshit about "officially licensed Lovecraft" when Lovecraft's works are in the public domain.

Yeah, that was a little unnerving given how encouraging Lovecraft was about people using his characters everywhere. I actually stayed up an entire night to research what you can and cannot get away with using of his work and I'm still baffled. What's 100% sure is that the phrase Call Of Cthulhu is trademarked/copyrighted, as weird and hosed up as that is, and - on the brighter side - copyright on all his stuff in the EU at least has expired and it's all in the public domain. Being from Europe and planning to make a Lovecraft spoof (but using American kickstarter), I really, really hope we're in the clear. By the way, they actually copyrighted HIS NAME! So you can't say HP Lovecraft's yadda yadda without paying a license fee, which you really wouldn't want to do anyway, but hey.

Eruonen posted:

I hate to say it but people are getting tired of boring Lovecraft games, so unless you have a really good game (and pitch!) planned you'll have a challenging time.

I'm hoping the "not serious tentacle stuff but poking fun at it" angle will add a little freshness. Like, I haven't had the time to play Cthulhu saves the world,which was also kickstarted, but I love the idea of the game and how it looks. I would've gladly thrown 10 bucks at it had I known about KS at the moment.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lovecraft's great-grandfather's great-great-great-grandson, Robert C. Harrall, seemingly has managed to become the executor of to manage Lovecraft's estate under the title "Lovecraft Properties, LLC", which is what they're referencing. Harrall claims to have the copyrights to Lovecraft's post-1926 work (Charles Dexter Ward was published in 1941), but there's no solid evidence for this. From what little information I would find, all Harrall seems to be interested in is ensuring Lovecraft's legacy is well-treated, but I can't find any sign of him putting out any legal threats. Rumor has it he's looking to make sure the estate gets a cut if there was a big-budget adaptation of one of Lovecraft's works. Otherwise he seems to give permission freely; you just have to ask.

Granted, Harrall would have to be able to prove his assertions if he ever took things to court. Once again, there's no evidence so far that the copyright for Charles Dexter Ward was ever renewed, but it's probably safer for an indie publisher just to cover their rear end.

Wow, I thought I'd scoured the internet and I never came up on that info. Thanks for that! Man, Lovecraft would be PISSED at this whole license deal, lemme tell you that.

And also pissed about the black president, too, probably.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
How old are these people again?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I kinda feel bad for his wife, but then the stacks of money comment comes back to mind aaaand gently caress'm.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Sorry if this has already been posted - did you guys play the Dog Mendonca demo?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/942343365/the-interactive-adventures-of-dog-mendonca-and-piz/posts/1024079#comments

I've been following adventure game kickstarters lately and it's a real shame about this particular one - it looks amazing, apparently based on a successful comic book. Unfortunately, I guess the IP is largely unknown in the US, and as pretty as the game is - and it's REAL pretty, it has things going against it like for example the NAME. It's Dog Mendonca. In the game, he's Dog Mendoza. Every time I searched for it on KS or KT I came up with zero results. It really, really is a shame, it's rare to see and adventure game with so much hard work and awesomeness poured into its art. I'll be backing this as soon as payday's here.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 22, 2014

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

pisshead posted:

He deserves to fail for such misuse of the word 'vintage'.

The devs are Argentinian,some slack could be cut.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

pisshead posted:

Well then they deserve to fail for invading the Falklands. In all seriousness, Charles Dexter Ward doesn't sound like an Argentine name.

You probably wouldn't know, but hearing people tell you you should stick with stuff related to your culture is jarring as hell, and it encourages stereotyping and lack of diversity. I'd love to see a Lovecraftian game made by innuites, if only just to see what they come up with. E.g. I'm from Transylvania, but I'll flip my poo poo if someone tells me I should make something Dracula related one more time.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
gently caress Austro-Hungary. They enslaved my people for a hundred years, don't make a game about it, for gently caress's sake.

Seriously though, I'm not feeling the graphics, they seem phoned in.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Megazver posted:

Yes, but the game is about one of your people getting tired of AH's poo poo and deciding to take it over! Says so right in the demo.

In that case, I approve of it. The graphics I still have a problem with. They look like Machinarium knock-offs. Then again, I'm very particular with graphics.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Well, he should've been clear about how feedback on his game works from the get-go. I can tell mr. Molyneux doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I still greatly respect him as a designer, and frankly it's sad to see he's relegated to mobile gaming. Not hating on mobile gaming, it's just that this guy should work on greater things. And maybe learn some modesty when talking up his own games. But you know what - I'm convinced that comes from a very sincere place, he always looked so enthusiastic about (his) game ideas... And I'm glad his kickstarter was funded, I had no idea it existed, gonna look it up.

Later Edit - Oh, snap. Read some comments on the KS page...ouch. Didn't find one positive thought about the game.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2014

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Crossing Souls looks pretty great, though I have to wonder if and when pixel art fatigue will start settling in, because it seems like every second game on KS went that route.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey George Lazenby, it looks GREAT! And the music is awesome too. Are you guys using Unity? I'am also wondering whether there's ever a palette change along the way or is this essentially how the entirety of the game will look? I really hope your Kickstarter makes it!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I wouldn't have a problem with pixel games except for the fact that some people really do absolutely nothing to have their characters stand out from other identical characters (in other games, that is, but within their own, too). On the upsides, no need to change any kind of art direction, instant 200 games crossovers!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

So they're making games in After Effects these days, huh? Those crazy kids! I like the idea and I'd love to see those kinds of backgrounds and graphics in general reconstructed and not merely lifted from stamps. Or if they're lifted, at least edit them in some creative fashion.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

senrath posted:

They're very upfront about where the images are from, actually.

That indeed is nice of them. I didn't mean lifted as in stolen, just as in using art someone else created, even if they croaked a hundred years ago. I'm digging the whole aesthetic, like a 19th century crazy stamp book come to life, but it could use a bit more creative editing. There's a lot of content out there created in this fashion, with relatively equal effort put into it, not games, and some of them a lot better. Not the best example one could come up with but this one came to mind first: Chevelle - Fizgig. I think the Pixies also recently released a similar video. I guess what I'm saying is I expect more from a game graphics-wise than from a mere lyric video. Buuuuut maybe it's me.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
^^^ I remember how games in that period would be drastically divided in either artists trying to do _realistic!_ and failing miserably or adapting to the low poly constraints and really coming up with great, expressive designs that hold to this day. What I'm saying is I don't remember there really being a middlepoint, it was just a lot of misses and the occasional sweet hit.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Oh, I wasn't commenting on that particular guy, he looks mad decent.

As for 80s games, I can't get glasses rosy tinted enough to get over how completely murderously horrible colors they had.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I was wondering how you guys felt about point and clicks and kickstarter nowadays. They sure seemed to lose a lot of momentum over the last year, so when I first heard of Thimbleweed I thought "oh crap, poor Ron's gonna have a hard time", given recent fails such as the Case Of Charles Dexter Ward etc. Happily that wasnt' the case, but I checked and there are now exactly 6 live point and clicks on KS, one of which I'm not even sure is a game (absolutely no footage or even pictures, exactly one donation). Are adventures coming back or not, goddamnit?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What people are nostalgic for when they say talk about "adventure games" isn't really any specific aspect of the games themselves, but rather the particular time of their life when the classic series were big.

Yeah, that's true too. I for one mostly (read almost exclusively) enjoy Lucas Arts adventures and their clones, that is to say it's hard for me to buy a "serious" adventure, mainly because of stuff like straight-face retarded combinations of items without a joke about how inept that is kind of leaves me cold. I guess what I'm saying is I want what probably most people do - more games like Monkey Island, DoTT and Grim Fandango. Remakes are great, and I hope they're pointing to even more revival, it's just that I'm looking for that laugh out loud fix, and it seems hard to come by these days. The Infamous Machine comes close to that, glad they made it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Scut posted:

As a side note, I couldn't find an official count on how many scenes DOTT had, but Dropsy is going to have 70, which I think is more than DOTT, but perhaps not more than Full Throttle. If anybody knows where to find that sort of info it would satisfy my curiosity.

I'm looking for the same kind of info myself, and I've asked around, including on an adventure-specialized forum and there seems to be no such database.

Well, it probably comes down to a simple matter of taste, but I get it when people say stuff like Dropsy doesn't go above and beyond. Don't get me wrong, I'm a 2d artist myself and I can grasp what pixel art is - tried it myself but that kind of laborious poo poo is not for me -, they just mean that it's haaaaard to compete with monsters such as Peter Chan and Steve Purcell when it comes to game art, plain and simple. I personally see them almost as gods among men (yeah, I know) in terms of ever being able to attain that level of skill. To be curt, there's a reason why graphically (and not only) Lucas was the industry point of reference, they just had the creme de la creme and that's that. I for one would pay a month's salary to play a new game with graphics by either of the two gentlemen mentioned above.

Well, maybe not a month's, I'd pay my bills and then the rest would go to their pockets.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I'm really curios wheter Rocket Ranger Reloaded is gonna make it, they're sitting at $73,0000 out of $90k with six days to go. I played the demo for a bit and it looks really, really good. Better than Dark Void, in my opinion. Gameplay is a little repetitive and eveything is on rails, but it's pretty impressive given the fact that it's unity. Colors, skybox, clouds are really, REALLY pretty. ANyone backing this?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Yeah, I'm just happy he now has arms and they changed the walk cycle, which was horrendous initially.

It's easy to judge but I'm working on an indie adventure myself and I can imagine we've hit our heads against pretty much the same roadblocks, so I can't help but appreciate what he does. Especially after watching one of the updates in which he pixel-pushed a background out of thin loving air in some software I don't even know the name of, WITHOUT a sketch or blueprint or anything like that. I really have to respect that, though I find it absolutely masochistic and just badly-planned.

Another thing he was mentioning in an update, which I hope they'll manage, is to adjust the character to screen proportion, right now the clown is humongous.

I'm not sold at all on the dialog system, as innovative and quirky and potentially chuckle-generating as it seems to be shaping up. To me point and clicks are ALL about snarky comebacks and one-liners. Well, he's not making that kind of game, so there's that. Either way, I have a huge amount of respect for the project, especially since he pretty much built it himself from the ground up. Although I have to say some of the updates were verging on uncomfortable, but I guess that's part of his and his game's charm, huh.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Man, it looks wicked awesome. I wish you had a demo, any plans on that?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Speaking of which, I'd like to ask some advice from you guys: we're currently working on an adventure game we'd like to kickstart some time this spring. Our previous experience in gaming is a top down full 3d flying shooter which plays and looks nice, but I'm not particularly proud of (came in late in the project, bad choices were already made, etc). We *will* have a pretty meaty demo of the adventure game with almost final art (no placeholder stuff), pretty much complete except for voiceovers (we're not native English speakers so yeah). The question is, should we mention the previous game, even though it has nothing to do with the one we're kickstarting? I've been reading up a lot on what to do and not to do when kickstarting a video game, but this is a dilemma I've been struggling with lately.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

If you think I enjoyed it and would be comforted knowing you made it, then include it

If you think playing a demo of it or watching some youtubes would convince me you have mad skillz or w/e, then include it

If it's just some previous project with no relation and nothing that will wow me anyway, then maybe don't

Thanks for that, I'll mill it over.

Thankfully, adventure games are ideal for vertical slices, and yes I agree that generally a kickstarter with a polished demo, as short as it may be, tends to have a much more positive impact than just concept art and a pitch, as good as that might be.
It'd be interesting, if there are such statistics, to see how downloading the demo is related to the pitch video, and if there are KS users that go straight for the download without even watching the video.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So Thimbleweed Park hit the talkies stretchgoal! Which is very un-1987, but I'm glad for them. Go Ron!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hollow Knight made it!

Congrats, guys. Well deserved!

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

People create iteratively, everything is a remix.

Well, I could just replace "directed by Stanley Kubrick" with my name and go around selling Eyes Wide Shut to people, and some might even call it a daring postmodern comment on the futility of IP and all that crap, but I'd still be passing off other people's work as my own and making money off of it. Not that these guys are necessarily doing that, just commenting on what you said.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
For all your KS adventure needs- at the moment there are 5 (five) point and click projects on Kickstarter. In order of relevancy:

Thimbleweed Park - 153% funded with 33 hours to go and looking real good, in all ways possible (except if you're not into 1987 graphics). I at least am 100% certain it'll come out in time and be great, it's Ron Gilbert after all.

Johnny Rocketfingers 3 - 22% funded with 32 days to go, trending towards 48% of goal. I'm skeptical it'll make it, the asking goal is huge for a flash game.

Viktor - 24% funded with 62 hours to go. It ain't looking good for the Austro-hungarian boar dude.

Absent 2 7% funded with 18 days to go, trending towards 52% of goal. Graphically I'm not convinced to say the least. Haven't played the previous game.

Dog Business - 47% funded with 43 days to go. Then again, its goal is a hundred bucks and there are no graphics, no updates, no comments, no nuffin.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AbstractNapper posted:

The Rocket Ranger Reloaded project is now about $2,000 short of its base goal with about 14 hours left.
I hope they make it, but it seems a bit difficult. It also looks like a considerable amount of extra in-game content was promised in the stretch goals, which are impossible to reach.

Rocket Ranger made it. 90,715 / 89,999. Good for them! I enjoyed the demo, great skybox & clouds, very nice color scheme, I would've liked some more animation in the Rocket Ranger's model.

SupSuper posted:

Personally I'm the opposite, I love adventure games and don't get why people would pine over Ron Gilbert. Sure Monkey Island was good, but it was obviously lightning in a bottle since everything else he did was distinctively average, and in the meantime there were plenty of other good adventures to go around

Ron & Tim = winning team. I'm still holding out hope on them teaming up some time in the future, that'd definitely result in an instant classic. Just no 1987 graphics for me - I never played MM back in the day, so nostalgia factor does nothing for me. I'm happy with jumping 10 years ahead and having CoMI graphics. One can only dream...

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So I was wondering, what's the deal with most KSs being 30 days ones? I'm looking at Johnny Rocketfingers 3 and its longer funding period, and it seems to work out for them - they're sloooowly going up. How come no one goes for the longer, 50-60 days periods? Do they tend to lose momentum and peter out?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I don't know, to me at least it was heartwarming seeing Ron go back to what he does best, that is non-kid oriented adventure games. Though it broke my heart when he just left in the middle of the DF documentary. Me and my mancrushes on middle aged game designers.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Uncle Jam posted:

None of the characters ever make eye contact with each other, its uncanny.

Bad case of " we designed the characters without taking background art into consideration". The unwritten law of point and click states you always put you npcs at your main character's eye level, unless you have fancy headtracking (which 99% of 2d point aand clicks don't). On the other hand, with those bulging eyes and overall quirkiness it might even be a design decision.

I played the demo and found the ring altering solution pretty funny and ingenious. Then again, I thought the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2 was clever so I might be in the minority on this one.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I think with the advent of gifs everywhere on KS, people with great gif size-reducing skills should share them with the world.

In other words, I wanna make small great looking gifs too and I'd love some pointers :D

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

chiefnewo posted:

Looks like he made sure to crop the placard out of his mugshot at least.

Yeah, feels incomplete without the side shot.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Looks like Johnny Rocketfingers 3 ain't gonna make it.

It's a shame, I'd be real curios to play it. In my opinion the ask is way too high for just the first episode in a series. I mean, I can understand working in the US =/= working in the EU, but much more polished AGs asked for less for full games. I think had he ask for 50k he would've made it... 80k I think is intimidating for backers, they think "never gonna make it" and skip it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Into The Stars is now 106% funded. Watching this and the Elite Dangerous reviews really got me itchin' for some space stuff. I would back the poo poo out of a new Freespace :sigh:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So Strife is a voxel procedurally generated Quake? "Cause if yes, then I want it bad.
Also, nice kickstarter video.
Also, nice quotes they got. I liked Cliffy B's best: "DYING" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Oh, ok, looking at their KS page and you're right. Sounds good, either way.

Their devlog here.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 21, 2015