Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any Banner Saga chat here? I've been kind of following the game on and off. They've implemented level 2 units now.

Honestly the game is too simple. There's only 4 classes, with three upgrade paths, and at best only 2 of the upgrade paths are good. Only two stats that are really pertinent to combat, so I have no idea how they could implement anything like support classes, or even farther expand combat classes. They don't really use terrain at all, which at least has potential to be expanded. The viking theme seems to really pigeon hole what you can do with the game.

It's really not a big deal since I barely play the game. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea in the direction the game is going because right now it's looking like it's going towards a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Ghost of a Tale seems to have stalled with 11 days to go. Here's hoping it makes it as the premise and talent seems sound.

Here's the problem I see with this preview. He says it will play like Dark Souls or Zelda as 2 of the games, but the demo only shows one weapon half of the time and no weapon the other half of the time. Zelda was a game where you found a weapon in every dungeon and had to use it in at least in that dungeon. Sometimes you could actually use it outside the dungeon as well. Dark Souls was more or less all about weapons. If you could use your weapon well and dodge, you are set for any aspect of the game.

I've never played Ico or the Gothic series, so I can't say anything about those 2. At the end of the day, all that means is that the demo is inconsistent of the type of game I imagine when the games that inspired it are mentioned.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mightygerm posted:

Cryptozoic is kickstarting the (first?) digital MMO TCG, Hex:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game
How to play video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfOfGvkdzlI
So far they've got a number of MTG pros playtesting and endorsing the game, and the organized play support looks very interesting. The idea of PvE content in a TCG is interesting, but they've essential done it in paper with the WoW Raid Decks. I'm very interested to see how this turns out.

My biggest problem with this thing is how the F2P system will work. I don't want to be spending 2 dollars a pack to keep up with expansions. Pox Nora has 3 dollar packs, and keeping up with it can require a bigger investment than most people want to spend. All of their sets are like 70 cards with 10 cards per pack.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkman987 posted:

3 - As far as F2P and booster packs, because you can trade in HEX, you're allowed a lot more space in how you're able to build your collection and decks. But, overall, we have to sell something in order to keep designers making sets and continuing to build features in the game. And because it's all based on microtransactions, you're only going to pay if you're having a good time with the game and see the Booster Packs as providing that value.

I would highly recommend using foils as a source of revenue instead of giving them out to people for filling out a leveling bar. Then use the the revenue from foils to expand on the F2P system.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My problem with Massive Chalice is that there was no gameplay footage or even discussion on what combat is going to be like. Yeah he mentioned it's going to be like FFT or Fire Emblem, but in what ways? For all I know he could just make the battles play out on a field divided into squares and say it's like FFT in that respect, while everything else is completely different.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Infinitum posted:

I really hate the Ku Klux Klan, but boy do they cook a mean dinner :v:

I got the refference :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ41liw74aY#t=2m26s

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think he'd gone in to his whiny baby mode in FFT at least. That he meets the a flower girl named Aerith just adds some major tackiness to the whole thing though.

That his limits requiring the materia blade (a mediocre weapon) hurts him so much; add in that the limits have a charge time and he's pretty much worthless. He's probably the 2nd most hidden character, Byblos being #1, yet he's useless as hell. A friend used him and said with Short CT and Haste he's good but with Short CT and Haste even an Archer is probably good.

He's only bad if you dupe items and give everyone the holy haste sword or are very high level. Otherwise he's above average. You can also delevel yourself, so only the first one is really a problem.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Illessa posted:

I had exactly the same thought!

Seriously, I think it would be kind of neat if characters had variable romantic compatibility, and you can make a choice between going along with these potentially sub-optimal pairings to keep your guys happy, or go all crazy eugenicist and get the best progeny but risk heroes eloping/committing suicide/fomenting discord.

That would be hilarious because at first the typical gamer won't be able to beat the game because the spouses would repeatedly leave the gamer. Then someone will write a guide, but only after tedious trial and effort.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question about the Alteil video. What would stop you from moving that pawn thing you deployed back one so that your other two units could attack?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So your ideal game is just Dark Souls layered in with stuff that Dark Souls already has?

Now they're just messing with us. Have you tried the hot pocket hot pocket? It's a hot pocket filled with a hot pocket. Tastes just like a hot pocket.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Except Dark Souls doesnt have anything remotely like what people refer to as "metroidvania" or "zelda" elements.

You can beat Dark Souls with nothing. Thats the compete opposite of Zelda, where you need certain items to advance or beat bosses.

You do need certain items to advance. You simply can't equip them.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a medical mystery posted:

They're effectively keycards and don't have mechanical implications, though. Would you call DOOM a metroidvania?

I only played the first few stages of Doom, and I never played any Metroid games. I see Dark Souls as a modern day ocarina of time. In that game the only weapons I ever used outside the dungeons where they were found are slingshot/bow and the hookshot, basically just a ranged option. All the other weapons were effectively a keycard with an added gimmick to the boss so that you had to use the weapon to beat it.

Also, in Dark Souls a number of gems for weapon upgrades, blacksmiths, merchants, and pyromancies - which have the biggest impact on your combat effectiveness - are progression locked. As in, you don't start with access to everything you need. What would be more brutal in Dark Souls a SL1 run, or a no gems, blacksmiths, merchants, pyro/sorc/miracle run. I mean technically you could use the miracles by Petrus and sorceries by Rickert, Rickert and the skeleton smith for smithing, and the undead merchant (male), since they aren't progression locked. Regardless, I've never heard of a "progression locked run" for Dark Souls, and even if they exist, they aren't too popular.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Platonicsolid posted:

The whole pitch also does one of the things I find most aggravating - insular community speak. MOBA? What the gently caress is a MOBA? If I don't know what a MOBA is, I can just go piss off, clearly!

Now sure, I can do a google and find Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, and presume that's correct in context, but if it's something vaguer? Nope, tough noogies. Maybe it's just my political communication side talking, but this kind of exclusive language sends a powerful 'stay out' message to people. Doesn't help bring people in.

Definitely the "political communication side." No other side could possibly be aggravated for being excluded like your "Average Joe" when by a number of accounts a MOBA (League of Legends) is the most played video game in North America and Europe. On top of that it has a good free to play model making it rather accessible. Go and fight the good fight to make sure the little guy isn't "kept out" somewhere else.

The concept looks extraordinary. This is 100% next level poo poo here. Tell all your friends.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

Well, I asked Sergey Galyonkin (who's kind of a big deal in the Bela-Russo-Ukranian game industry and works in Nival's Kiev division as his daily job) on Twitter about this and apparently he knows the Universum guy through common acquaintances, his credentials are real and the project is not a scam.

Captain Person: What do you think, is this person [project] real? I'm being assured it's a scam. He isn't in the credits. He's from Kiev.
Sergey: He's real [It's real]
Captain Person: Excuse me but do you know him or does simply look real? I'm arguing with some skeptics on the behalf of Cyril Megem.
Captain Person: I want to put some cruel/evil/wicked (kind of hard to pick the best word) thoughts in your head, could Galyonkn himself say this is a scam?
Sergey: We're common acquittances. I don't know too much about him in person.
Captain Person: Thank you!

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Do not even ask posted:

You wasted :10bux: just to blatantly advertise your own kickstarter on a forum for a comedy website based around cynical circlejerking. I can't trust you with ANY amount of money.

To follow up on this, don't ever accuse anyone of having even the slightest amount of homosexual tendencies just because they enjoy being in a room full of dudes with their penises out doing whatever comes to mind. You'll get banned with a mod spouting some lovely one liner about how it's completely heterosexual behavior.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1464350149/faeria-strategy-card-game

This game owns. $15 gets you into the beta right away and you don't have to pay for anymore cards. It's along the lines of diadems game, but everything is done right.

The Cyril Megem game has been fully funded. :woop:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's something going on with faeria. They sent me an activation key, but I haven't touched the game in ages and forgot my password. How do I recover my password? I can't seem to find a link anywhere for it on the site.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, it's so easy to lose track of your backed projects. What's going on with Hearthstone? The D&D/lego inspired game. I think they did most of their updates on another site, but I'm not sure what that site is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do you mean Stonehearth? They're working right along on https://www.stonehearth.net .

Lol. No wonder I had trouble finding it. Thanks.

Fwoderwick posted:

You're not wrong. Spurred on by this post I went and had a look at my kickstarter notices and was mildly surprised to see I backed Moon Intern back in 2012. I'd be more annoyed by the fact they appear to have done very little since then if I could remember precisely why I felt the need to back it in the first place. Ah the heady whirlwind of the post Broken Age/Wasteland era.

I also see that Castle Story is busily dicking around on 'stuff' and Nelly Cootalot is bringing a partner on board to up the quality of the product, which along with existing in the real world will mean a delayed delivery date. Everything else I've backed has generally been big enough to just about stay in the public eye thankfully.

One of these days something I backed will actually finish (not interested in early access alas). Maybe it'll be ace and I feel a bit more inclined to start backing things again.

The only reason I even remembered was because I have more free time right now, and Battle World Kronos finished some time ago, and I didn't even realize it because I was kind of busy. They were actually very timely with their project. I'll see how it turned out once I get my digital copy.

I haven't backed anything new in like a half a year, but for the most part I find it best to back projects that have a high likelihood of completion. The biggest red flags for me are poor demos, and rapidly increased amount of promised content in the game usually during the kickstarter campaign. I'm probably far more selective with the projects I back, but it's led to a lot less disappointment.