Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

LumberingTroll posted:

This thread has really gone to pot since all this Social Studies stuff has been the main topic of conversation. Id rather talk about Kickstarters rather then how bad women have it in life. Its a fine, warranted conversation, but I think it belongs in D&D, not games, especially now that Kickstarters cannot have their own thread until after they are funded.

This one is promising, and Im glad I have backed it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster

A TON of high-quality figures, for $100, if your into Trad-games, and like boardgames/wargames that is.

I love that Kickstarter, but I don't have that much money yet. Looking for someone to split it with, since I'd want the terrain pieces too. They're so pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Got my Xenonauts Desura key, I'm pretty happy. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing this afternoon.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Personally, I'm not thinking so. The draw for this game, for me, isn't that this is an innovative new design. It's precisely the opposite.

Xenonauts tries to capture a game style that has been done in the past, that of UFO Defense. Since I've played that game about a dozen times in the past, I don't see any reason why playing Xenonauts a few more times will cause any sort of burnout. It'll be fun to watch the product evolve as well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So I spent some time playing the Xenonauts alpha last night... man, I'm in love already. The problem is, I was always terrible at XCom. I barely survive more than a few months in without going broke/people dying, even on easy.

As an example, on the first crash-landing mission I managed to kill a civilian with friendly fire, on my first shot of the game.

Is there a good guide to strategies in XCom or anything? Like, where a good place for your first base is, how many bases to build, etc.?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Talking about sandbox MMOs and no one has mentioned Face of Mankind yet? For shame.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I saw Star Command at PAX in a playable state, so apparently it is not totally vaporware.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I somehow don't think the Phantom will do well at Google Maps navigation. It will probably do well with accelerometer games though.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

FTL was meant to be done this year and is being released on September the 14th. Legends of Eisenwald is apparently finished (and I tend to believe them) but will just be incrementally polished until the major PC titles later this year are released to avoid getting buried on PC gaming outlets. I think those are the only titles which I contributed to and which were meant to release in the short term.

Also, anyone who paid $10 for FTL will apparently get the beta version in ~40 hours.

e: also, also, that mockup from Shadowrun looks really awesome, much more impressive to me than the Wasteland 2 stuff from before. Still not regretting backing Wasteland 2 and not Shadowrun Returns though. The cagey question-answering about tablets and levelling and stuff has me quite suspicious.

I'm pretty dang excited for FTL.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Tamba posted:

Solforge finished with 430k, 20k short of the next stretch goal, which would've been coop multiplayer.
Oh well, I'm sure they'll still add it eventually.

e:

:ohdear:

Isn't there a Kickstarter rule about not being able to rescind your donation at the last moment? I think the only thing he could do is contest the charge and try to get it nulled.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

Aw man, don't give me hope. I have had my heart broken too many times. A decent Lufia sequel, closure on the Chrono series (Chrono Cross' ending left me unsatisfied), a Final Fantasy game that doesn't leave me believing that the designers are all suffering from autism, and a sequel to Legend of Mana.

They did make a sequel to Legend of Mana. It was Secret of Evermore, and it was incredible. Robo-toaster dog. :colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Scrumble Ship might be the next to pull what Castle Story managed. It's doing something pretty unique with voxels, and already looks fun to goof around with.

(build spaceships out of blocks, build air-tight hulls, wire up some thrusters, and fly around blasting voxel-precise holes in other ships - sending their crew men zipping off into space, eventually)

It looks like he's even modeling the melting point and heat transmissive abilities of various materials. You can also build a spaceship out of butter.

You pretty much has me at building a spaceship out of butter. I didn't even need to view his video.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I agree with you guys 100% that this guy is a piece of poo poo. However I think that if you are a fan of any of his works it would be a great book to have on your coffee table and you might be missing out on a really cool piece of video game history.

Take Mel Gibson for example. These days he is a gigantic racist, homophobic, violent oval office of a human being with severe anger management issues that doesn't deserve to direct or act in a film ever again.
But does that change the fact that most of his old films are loving awesome? Mad Max, Lethal Weapon, Gallipoli, Payback, Ransom, Braveheart?

I know it's an absolutely piss-weak analogy, but you should back it if you want to own a book by the developer he once was and not the waste of air he currently is.
And come on.. Earthworm Jim was loving cool.

By buying the book, you're not giving his previous self that money. You're giving his current self the money. Also, I highly doubt he was a virtuous shining white knight of a human being back them. He was probably just as big of a piece of poo poo then as he is now.

Sorry, no sale. I don't value video game pictures more than human beings' lives.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Gyoru posted:

Nexus 2: The Gods Awaken just went up today. It's the sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
About time. That was an amazing game.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

LumberingTroll posted:

I really liked the first one, but I am doubtful $650,000... I can;t say that I think this will make it.

If you want to generate a lot of chatter about it, just start saying "It's better than homeworld." on Reddit/Facebook.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Wolfsbane posted:

I posted this before, but it was a couple of hours before Project Eternity launched, and I guess it understandably got a bit lost :)

So, pretty pictures first:

The team behind the original pro pinball (and me!) are getting together to both bring back the old games, and start a line of new ones. The results from our test renders are looking promising, and I think it has the potential to be pretty awesome. There's free stuff to be had just for visiting the page, plus lots more shiny images.

Man, that is a shiny image and I do love me some pinballs. Also, "ball saver" never stops being funny.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So, is anyone still excited for Star Command? I feel like FTL hit a very similar itch and was able to do an excellent job of it. Not to mention FTL's kickstarter started far after Star Command's, and finished well before.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I wanted to give them more money than $10, but unfortunately none of the bonuses above $10 interested me. Oh well.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So is the Elite kickstarter fairly solid at this point? I've held off on pledging since they didn't seem to have any solid credentials behind them, but after watching a vid from them on RPS, it looks like they're actually making some progress. I'm pretty burned by a couple of previous game kickstarters that never saw the light of day though, so... maybe I'll just wait for Starlight Inception.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I don't know about the average Kickstarter Contributor, but Code Hero's spectacular failure (I haven't seen a single thing from it) makes me far less likely to kickstart anything software related in the future.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

At the time it finished, it was one of the top 10 most funded projects in the site's history. Of course, later things in 2012 blew that mark away big time.

Code Hero promised to teach you how to code.. using a gun.. in a quasi FPS environment. The whole concept fundamentally makes no sense. That's the reason not to kickstart things like it.

You're right, and I feel pretty foolish for being duped into giving money for it. However, I was Ready To Believe. Now I'm far more careful about who I throw money at.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I never figured that they would actually complete their full goal, ie. creating a video game from start to finish within another video game. I thought it would teach fairly simple coding concepts and tools through a guided tutorial sort of thing.

I always figured it would be more useful in a "show kids programming" kind of way rather than a replacement for more traditional learning methods.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

USMC_Karl posted:

I apologize if you guys already know about this project, but I figured it's worth some notice so I'll post a big 'ol rant right here.

Recently the Trese Brothers, a small indie dev team of two, have started up a kickstarter for their next game. They are currently part time devs, making games in their spare time and building up a community of players that are pretty supportive. They make... well.. old school games for Android, and are also trying to branch out to iOS. They always upload two seperate versions of each game they make, a free to play game that is either limited scope (smaller maps) or a section of the total game that is totally playable without paying anything. The other version is the "Elite" version, which is basically the full game. As an example, Star Traders Free Is a fully playable game that you can spend a large amount of time playing without paying a dime. If you like it, however, you can go pick up Star Traders Elite which adds 400 new ships, 110 new planers, 200% rumors (sort of little side quests, trade shortages/surpluses/etc), twice as many officers (NPCs that give your ships various benefits), and extra awards/unlocks.

Their games include Star Traders, a turn based sandbox game that is a little reminiscent of EV:Nova, Templar Assault, a space hulk-esque turn based tactical warfare game and Cyber Knights, a cyberpunk RPG.

All of their games are deep and have pretty steep learning curves, but if you get into them they are really fun. The main thing that sets the Trese Brothers apart from other devs in my mind is the amount of care they have for each of their games. They have forums where, admittedly, just a few of their players post feedback about the games. The brothers will listen to everything and if they think something is a good idea will work to implement it ASAP. I'm not exaggerating when I say that these guys update their games 2-3 times a week at minimum, it's actually at the point where people complain that the games are being updated too much. You can really tell that they enjoy making these games and are putting their money where their mouth is to try to make great old school RPGS.

Anyways, the main point of this post is to expose you guys to their kickstarter for their 4th game Heroes of Steel. They are trying to expand their talents into a more story driven Fantasy RPG, and have actually already passed their goal and are fully funded. Currently they are working on achieving their stretch goals, the next of which is at 20kUSD and is focused on them expanding their programming potential to open this game, and their future games, on different platforms. If you are interested in old school RPGs I'd highly recommend going over to their kickstarter, linked here and checking them out. I've backed them and hope that some of you guys will at least consider it. If you haven't heard of them or their games the links I included up there are to all of the free versions of their games, so check them out and see if you like them. One item that I feel should be disclosed is this, and it's a doozy. Backing this project does not give you a copy of the game. According to the Trese Brothers they are unable to provide copies of their game at this time, although the do say that if they are able to secure some way to give away the game for free through google play or the like they will provide all backers of more than $10 a free copy of the Elite version. Once again, backing at this time does not give you a copy of the game.

Thanks for reading this long stream of words and hope that at least one or two of you guys find the Trese Brothers interesting.

I bought Star Trader for iOS. Love the concept and want more of that concept, so I bought the Elite pack immediately. I loved Privateer and EV: Nova and all that, so I played it immediately. However, I looked at it and was like "Crap, this is complicated and I have no idea what I'm doing and it's difficult.. also the combat is boring."

...and then 2 hours later I finally stopped playing. It seems like it's always that way, too. I constantly pick it up and think it's terrible, but then continue playing it forever because it's really not. Although I really think that I'm not getting nearly as much out of the game as others, because I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Maybe I should lurk their forums and chat about it. I really do like the game, it could just really do with a proper tutorial or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

TheDoc posted:

::siren:: Calling in the Goons! ::siren::
One of the coolest indie game kickstarters of the year is in serious danger of not being funded. Death Inc. is a pretty sweet cross between a real time strategy, god game, and business simulator being developed by Ambient Games, a small studio comprised primarily of former Media Molecule and Lionhead games devs. The game is set in 17th century England during the outbreak of the Bubonic Plague.

You play the reaper, Grim Livingstone, controlling hordes of infected citizens as you spread the plague throughout Europe. The game has a really great cell shaded art style, and a pretty unique mechanic for controlling your armies. It's not quite as micro intensive as more sophisticated RTS, but the paint mechanic used to control your army is a pretty interesting approach to the genre.

The game has some pretty big names endorsing it, Peter Molyneux Alex Evans for one, though is still quite a ways off from meeting funding. If you're interested at all, there's a free demo up on the Kickstarter page. It's pretty rough, considering it's pre-alpha, but it at least lets you tool around with the paint mechanic.

If you're looking for a lost cause to throw your money at, don't let this one pass you by.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/229423802/death-inc

That looks pretty great, and creative. I kicked in a little money for it, although it doesn't look like it's gonna make it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Pretty sure I'm gonna back the Torment kickstarter. I look at it this way: It makes sense that they need to keep a cash flow and project backlog going to retain talent. It also makes sense that they want to try to stay away from the major publishing houses so that they don't get resources sucked away from WL2 or any other pet projects that they (and we) want.

Yes, I might pledge some money and it not go through (like Code Hero). I've been burned. However, I think the risk is worth it. I want a project like this to happen, and I don't think a major publisher will ever make it happen, so I think this is the best chance to see it happen.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

What's the next IP to be resurrected?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TuOcgH0kmo

I'm amazed no one else brought that up.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Samara posted:

Id kill a man for another Freedom Force in a modern engine. So great.

I agree with this post. Was there a Freedom Force 2, though?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, there are quite a few more IP goldmines to be set up. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

TIE Fighter/X-Wing (but seriously just TIE Fighter who cares about the terrorist faction)
Interstate '76 or really any Car Wars-esque game
Homeworld

Honestly, I'd probably throw hundreds of dollars at any of these.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Kenshin posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampix/homeworld-touch-ios-android-and-homeworld-3-pc-mac?ref=live

The auction is on April 1st for THQ's remaining assets/IPs, of which Homeworld is one.
Per this tweet: https://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/309441975487188993

Team Pixel is apparently going to bid on those rights using the Kickstarter money. I can't imagine how they plan to make Homeworld 3 and a touch-based Homeworld game with $50,000 though.

Yeah, that amount seems ludicrously low. They also don't look to have made much else ever, aside from some simple graphics. I still pledged because, well, they are at least trying.. and I'm gonna engage them in the comments to see if I can get some more confidence.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Sefer posted:

Wait, they're going to bid with the funds from their KS? What if they're outbid? Doesn't that make it impossible for them to fulfill the kickstarter?

They say they'll give the money back if they're outbid. I have a lengthy message filled with questions out to them, asking about what their experiences are creating games and such.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Well, I got a message back from teamPixel. It's not making me want to increase my pledge for the Homeworld stuff, but not cancel it either. It gives me a slim glimmer of hope that maybe the touch version of Homeworld will be created.

teamPixel posted:

A lot of our company history is in the B2B realm in which we were contracted to do work for other companies which apply their own branding to their products that we were a part of. This puts us in a gray area where most of the work featured on our website is from smaller clients, while larger companies maintain branding on our larger projects.

We have a background contracting for all things interactive media whether it be web platforms, mobile applications, desktop applications, and even film. This means that as far as graphic design and programming, we already have nearly a decade of experience in the same program and design tools used in the game industry. Most of our staff have also been modders in their spare time including experience in 3d modeling, animation, etc. The game industry is the direction we've all been wanting to go for a while as a company. So no, we're not quitting our day jobs to work on Homeworld; rather, our day job ALREADY IS to take on game development opportunities like this.

A lot of the assets you're asking about we've already begun putting together ourselves as you can see in our Homeworld Touch demos, while others would become available to us in the legacy Homeworld assets if we're able to obtain a license. The Homeworld 1 source is already public, but we have not yet used any of this until we're sure we'll have commercial rights to it as well. It would be efficient to build off of the work from the previous Homeworld games, but if there are any issues where those assets are no longer available, we're perfectly capable of developing our own Homeworld-genre RTS engine ourselves. This is the approach we've taken so far which will allow us to continue making our game if things do not work out with the Homeworld license..

We'll see how it goes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

M3CH does have some "in-game" screenshots though, with a lot more to show for it than that Homeworld remake does. I'm very wary about any AAA game being funded for such a ludicrously low amount.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I really want to fund that game, but I'm concerned that they won't be able to actually deliver on what they are promising.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Community outreach always gets a :unsmith: from me. Looks like I'm going to be pledging towards Consortium now.

Tufty posted:

Has anybody posted about Planet Explorers yet? I remember seeing a couple of articles about it on RPS and just happened to click onto its Greenlight page today and noticed they've put up a Kickstarter. Looks pretty interesting - I'm downloading the alpha now to give it a try and will pledge the $15 depending on how it plays.

Alpha torrent link is here: http://www.pathea.net/images/web/PlanetExplorersA0.53.torrent

That looks really interesting, I'll be curious to know how it plays out. Let us know if it looks to be worth kicking money into.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 23, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Dropped my pledge amount for the Homeworld Touch game. It made its funding level, but I really have no confidence they can deliver on anything they are promising. They are just being too ambitious and not doing anything that really persuades me that they can deliver a quality product.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Shovel Knight blew past its funding goal with 12 days to go. I'm all for more Ducktales pogosticking in games, especially if it's mixed with Mega Man-esque gameplay.

Unfortunately, this game doesn't have enough trains for me to fund it. I'd like to fund a game that is like Pocket Planes, but involves rail transport. I wonder if there is going to be an offering out there for me.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Normally I would just throw money at my monitor to make this game happen, but I'm not really sure I trust these guys to make this game happen. Especially after the atrocious Jagged Alliance Online and the mediocre Back In Action. Really I just want updated graphics and all of the .13 mod's features to become real.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That Jagged Alliance pitch is saying all the right things, but I'm still a bit wary as to whether they're able to pull it off. It seems the other games they've made have been iphone games though they ported Frontline Tactics to the PC and its FTP on steam. Has anyone played it?

That would be the key, actually. They say that they are reusing bits of their old code (several times), but I don't know if that code is crap. If it's crap, I don't want to see it mangle JA.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Shalinor posted:

This was back in the days where Windows 95 was still not a huge gaming focus, so yeah, people tended to just install in root C: out of habit. You would still play the odd game that ran in DOS and required autoexec.bat et al hand tweaking. I think most of us had a "D:/Games" folder at least (and losing that would have been catastrophic enough), but some people, root C:, and then... boom.

EDIT: Huh, Wikipedia says 2001, but I could have sworn it was more like '97/'98.

D:? Wow, Ms. 1% can afford a second hard drive. I bet it even was like a 2GB HDD.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

The thing we really need is a Clash at Demonhead sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

AllanGordon posted:

Is there a gameplay video or is there only the anime pictures?

Do you really need anything other than those breasts to get your money?