Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Mordaedil posted:

That's like saying "why play a flight simulator when I can just do it in real life, then?"

This project is meant to appeal to those people.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Also those people generally don't have an objection to buying additional controllers and peripherals.

[Looks at HOTAS on his desk and TrackIR sensor on his monitor]

Also some tidbits from the FAQ on the Clang kickstarter page:
-They mention the Razer Hydra specifically
-In discussing Mac OS and Linux ports they mention "leaning strongly" towards Unity.
-The game will be playable with a mouse and keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It has, but it's always worth mentioning. It only has 2 days to make nearly $36k for it's stretch goal, though. It's a shame because that TNG table sounds pretty cool as well.

It does mention in their FAQ that they'll do another KickStarter to make up the difference if they don't reach $110k, but people who pledged for Twilight Zone will have to pledge again for ST:TNG. I don't think they'll have any problems raising another $25k-$35k if they do a new campaign, so it seems pretty likely that we'll see the Star Trek table eventually.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

With ten hours left on their (fortunately) funded project, the Moon Intern folks sent out an e-mail to their $10 backers, asking them to consider becoming part of the testing community, and outlining the processes and stages that they'd be performing testing in. Oh, and yeah, you'll have to bump yourself up to at least $25 to get in on the gig.

Yeah, best of luck with that.

I don't know. I can understand adding new bennies when you're close to the wire, like Necronauts, but it feels really gauche to ask people to more than double their pledges when you're already into stretch goals.

I can understand why this would rub people the wrong way. On the other hand I've seen tons of comments from people lamenting that they didn't pledge for the FTL beta (which is really awesome and you should feel bad if you missed it) and maybe an email like this would have nudged (some) of them up to the higher tier. So when the Moon Intern beta looks really great, just remember that they gave you the chance to get a piece of that.

EDIT
Here's the latest post from the FTL thread:

Kinetic Tools posted:

It may be a bit of a boring read, but Justin's story about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat (by intentionally breaching his own ship's hull no less) is very exciting and pounds in even further my personal regret about not backing them for beta access. Game's gonna be awesome.

XenoCrab fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 7, 2012

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

This is awesome but should have been their first stretch goal. Metal planets don't cost $200K.

I'm gonna guess that even if they don't reach the goal for Galactic War they'll say, "Due to overwhelming fan support we've decided to implement this feature." Stretch goals exist as a motivation to keep people donating and the arbitrary goal amounts rarely reflect their actual cost, plus there's nothing saying that you can't implement a stretch goal even if you don't reach it. Not to say that all stretch goals for all kickstarters should or could be implemented without reaching the goal, but in a case like this, where a feature looks to fit perfectly with the game and not implementing it would likely have a serious negative impact on the game, I don't think just saying "Sorry, we didn't get enough money" is an option.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Zereth posted:

Less than 30 minutes to go and they're $500 short. :sigh:

EDIT: Oh they gained $250 in the time it took me to make this post. Hurry and up your pledges if you want that stretch goal I guess!

Oh no, they didn't make it! I guess they can't add their new feature since they didn't get the arbitrary amount of money that they decided on to get more people to pledge. Without that extra $178 all they'll be left with is additional unfinished art and a mere "Desert Prince" story. Too bad.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

This is actually Three Moves Ahead, which is hosted by Idle Thumbs.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Game design is really hard :( I've been trying to write a game for a while and I can't design it to be fun.

As someone who has attempted making games, I agree. Making something that looks and feels like a game isn't too hard; making it fun is.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Hey Consortium guy, you got me to watch the video and back the game, so good work! Also, I thought the game looked a bit assy in the screenshots, but once I saw it in motion it came across a lot better. Anyone who didn't look at anything beyond the screenshots should check out the video.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

I also think the Road Redemption KS looks like poo poo. I loved Road Rash on my Genesis but everything about their presentation is putting me off the Kickstarter.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not sure Road: Redemption is going to fail. They're at $122,000 with 69 hours to go. If they keep up the pace then they'll definitely reach the goal. I still hope they don't make it because nothing about the kickstarter or what they've shown gives me any confidence that they will do a good job at remaking Road Rash. Hopefully failing the kickstarter will cause them to step back and rethink what they need to do better.

I feel the same way about the 2 or 3 Master of Magic remakes that have shown up too. The people on the project might really like the game, but I've never been convinced that they really get what makes MoM great.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

The Massive Chalice tiers do seem a little lacking, though I would assume they looked at what levels people actually backed Broken Age at and based them off that. Making the tiers less confusing is also a plus, but I wonder if not having extra tiers (even if hardly anyone chooses them) could have a negative impact on the number of backers. In any case I backed it at the $20 tier because it sounds like exactly the sort of game I would like to play and also Brad Muir :D.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Basically their whole thing was "We don't want to spend the time designing a combat system from scratch so we're just using D20." I wonder how much time they actually save because there's still a fair amount of gameplay design work figuring out how all that applies to a video game and adapting it, and figuring out how to deal with special scenarios where it doesn't apply.

Either way, it made me not want to support them. Using middleware for technical stuff (game engines, audio, etc) is one thing, but using also extending that to using prefab rulesets for your gameplay systems instead of designing them yourself strikes me as being especially uninspired creatively. What's actually going to be unique about that game?

They should have just re-implemented Master of Magic's combat system and then fixed all the broken parts. I know that's easier said than done, but I actually would have backed them if they were doing that. There really hasn't been a MoM reboot where I've felt that the people doing it really "get" what the important parts of MoM are (hint: it's not "Civilization with spells and tactical combat").

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Admiral Lasers posted:

I'm glad Volgarr the Viking came out, and it certainly delivers on its promise of being difficult, but the difficulty seems to stem completely from the terrible, terrible checkpointing. I'm kind of upset that this game has so little respect for my time and don't really want to play it anymore.

There should be a "dumb baby/old man" mode with more liberal checkpoints. I think the game is really great and I enjoy the challenge, but I definitely have a lot less patience for continually running through the same area than I used too. (A game like Dark Souls gets around this by giving you healing items, having "Save & Quit" and allowing you to explore other areas if you're tired of bashing your head against the same thing.) Make it so the "easy" mode doesn't have an ending or even locks off the last area, but I would like to see most/all of the game and that's unlikely in it's current state. If I want the satisfaction of a "true" playthrough I can go back later and try to do it all in one sitting.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

diadem posted:

The iPhone and Chrome Web Browser demos are almost ready for consumption, so we'll probably give people who backed certain amounts early beta access even if we don't make it.

This has the potential to seriously backfire on you. If the kickstarter doesn't make it there is really no difference between someone who pledged $1 and someone who pledged $1000, so people who pledged less might (reasonably) be upset that other people are getting something just for saying they would give you more money. Also, a major reason for having a demo is building word of mouth, so giving it to more people is always better. If you give "special access" to everyone who pledged then it's a lot more likely for all of them to return if you relaunch your kickstarter, and since everyone's happy you'll get 500-600 backers saying nice things instead of 50-100 (with the other few hundred potentially being pissed off).

Note: I didn't back Alteil Horizons, so whatever you do has no bearing on me, but I think you've made a good effort engaging with criticism and advice in the thread so wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

SaltyJesus posted:

Carmageddon full release announced for April 23rd, new trailer. Has anyone played it yet? What are your opinions on it?

I've played 10 or so hours of the alpha and beta versions and I think it does a really good job of feeling like Carmageddon. So if you like Carmageddon then you'll probably like Reincarnation. If you always thought that Carmageddon controlled kind of badly and got boring and repetitive really fast then you'll probably want to stay away (and also consider why you're such a terrible person). The biggest issues I've had with the pre-release versions are random crashes and pretty bad performance (including 3-5 minute load times), which they'll hopefully have mostly sorted out for release.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Isn't the whole point of the Divinity II kickstarter just to get additional money to make the game bigger and better? The whole campaign is just a big "MAKE GAME AWESOME" stretch goal, so it seems unnecessary to have additional stretch sub-goals.

prahanormal posted:

Gamers should not be allowed to use the word "scam" anymore.
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

I backed a few of the notable failures already mentioned, but I haven't seen anyone mention my biggest kickstarter regret: CLANG (the swordfighting game by Neal Stephenson). :v: