Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Other good Kickstarter successes are Risk of Rain and Valdis Story: Abyssal City. Both fantastic games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Witchmarsh is some sort of sidescrolling supernatural RPG set in the '20s with a gorgeous pixely aesthetic.

That looks pretty cool, shame I can't pledge since I can't use any of the available payment options.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SupSuper posted:

US and non-US Kickstarters use different payment systems, so it might also be "I don't want to spend two minutes filling out this other system". It's all the same to me since I'm European though. :v:

For me it's that that system has no payment options I can use. All I have is a Discover card and they don't use Amazon payments or Paypal or anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pale Blue looks like it'll end up making its goal. The latest update has a short demo which is fun if a bit clunky.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I never back anything on Indiegogo since it's even less safe than Kickstarter. If they're not using Kickstarter I see no reason to back them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Midora could be cool, but really feels like they're massively over-promising.

It'd be doing just as well as a solid Zelda-esque adventure, but apparently it'll have alchemy and enchanting and blacksmithing and 12 bosses and god knows what else.

What is it with Kickstarter games and loving crafting. Crafting is dull as poo poo most of the time and pointless for a game like the one they're showing.

Still hope they do well, since it seems the closest we'll ever get to a 2-D sprite-based Zelda again (that's not some lovely fangame).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cheekio posted:

This actually looks really good.

It looks so much like an SNES game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

With the slight distinction that Ultima VII had absolutely worthless combat and character levelling systems, whereas D:OS is cool and fun in both of those areas.

When you can give a 12 year old a shotgun you can't say the combat is worthless.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

My what an incredibly generous way to chacterize that, how about this way more accurate way:

They made a ludicrous amount of money more than they wanted or needed and are now greedily grabbing for more with both hands by launching a second "kickstarter" with no middleman

goons.txt

hth

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tracula posted:

Tell us then how much money is needed to make a Megaman game then.

Clearly they just need a couple hundred to hire a few NES Megaman romhackers and call it a day. Or the guy that made this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Fudd is that you

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Beating it with only the starting hearts and with no checkpoints and no relics would be CRAZY hard, like NES hard. Beating it with tons of health and all checkpoints and abusing relics is not too stressful. So yeah, great game, good balance.

It's not. I had trouble with the boss rush when I did that, although that's just because I'm not good at a couple of the bosses. The levels themselves are easy enough once you know what's going on, and the game just throws so many healing items at you that taking damage outside of the boss fights isn't a big deal. Challenging, but still way easier than an NES game like Megaman 2 or Castlevania.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Wait, they went from a 900,000 ask to 35,000? How is that gonna work at all?

quote:

With that, we came to the decision to split the game into chapters with smaller goals to achieve, and aimed to release the Prologue by this Fall 2014! To make these plans a reality, we are launching this campaign with new content, an upgraded build of the game, daily updates and a smaller goal of $35,000.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

THat seems kinda weird. They are taking that 30k and going to build the entire framework of systems for all their following games? It still feels like it should be much more than what they are asking for. Just reading that quote I would call shenanigans.

Not saying it makes sense, just providing the answer they gave.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The guy elaborated on that it one of the updates. They're not copied, but he used sprites from SNES games when learning to make his own sprites, and they came out very similar. He's planning to replace all of those with new ones for the actual game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I hope if he does it isn't just Castlevania with the names filed off like Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man. I'd love a new Metroidvania, because I think the recent indie ones aren't as good as both Metroid and Castlevania, but I want it to be its own thing.

I'd kill for a Castle with the numbers filed off. There hasn't been a real 2d one since Ecclesia I think. Maybe that Wii one?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Didn't one of the artists he got for ConEx mention not being paid yet?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The issue with a Night Trap remake is that, as far as FMV games go, Night Trap is pretty boring. If there should be a remake of an FMV game it should be something like Corpse Killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHDitMtAXe4&t=1723s

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, I got no desire to back a game like that when it's $34 to get the drat thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RadicalR posted:

So Shadowgate is getting released tomorrow. Get hype!

Hopefully, we can list this as another successful kickstarted game?

Oh drat, I didn't even know that was a thing. Looks pretty good.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Kickstarter doesn't have backer safeguards either dude.

It does in that they don't get money unless they're funded, with no flexible funding option. Which doesn't really matter as the ConEx guys have shown.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shalinor posted:

Look at the backer count of Elysian Shadows. That isn't succeeding, that's scamming - their average per backer is over $100. I guess they figured pegging a high funded total would get them more press notice, or something, but it doesn't appear to be working out for them.

I'd be very surprised if they have over $10k real dollars there. The kickstarter will end up having cost them thousands to run, thanks to KS percentages and CC fees :v:

EDIT: oh geeze yeah, typo - thanks Drifter.

Looking at the individual tiers, five people backed for 5k. If it wasn't obviously a scam already that kinda clinches it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

And honestly, for people in this thread to be shocked that a lovely looking game has potentially raised a lot of money is laughable.

I wanted to link that terrible looking furry visual novel that made a ton of money on Indiegogo as a counterexample, but I can't find it. :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Found it

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gender-bender-dna-twister-extreme

Didn't make as much money as I thought, still a lot all things considered.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mutata posted:

Edit: Now, if they were just doing a fan art competition, for example, where it's just submit a piece, they pick the top 3, post them on their site, and give a free ice cream coupon and that's the end of it, then that's different. Here's where I come clean and say that I lurk in this thread and I'm not familiar with the specific contest in question. If they weren't intending the music to be used in the end-product, then that's different to me. If they were going to use it, though, then yeah.

Why? Unless they're being mis-leading with the wording, not making it clear that that is what the contest is about, they're doing nothing wrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mutata posted:

Because art costs money but they don't want to pay for it but they want to profit from it.

And they're not forcing (or using tricky wording to mislead, as far as I understand the situation) anyone to contribute.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I like how big bosses = SotC inspired. Because that's the only game ever to have bosses that are significantly bigger than the player.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait, how big is the whole game? I thought the Beta build was already some ridiculous number.

The whole thing is 21 gigs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mimetic posted:

I'm pretty sure their release trailer said 22 gigs. They're claiming 80 hours of content as well, curious to see how accurate that is.

I spent about 10 hours doing the tutorial stuff and Ag Center, so I could totally see that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Personal preference, that's all.

that's really dumb

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cheez posted:

I'm just tired of people calling pretty much every game with a random something and an actual game over condition "roguelike"

That's what the term means now. Get over it fuddy duddy

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

If you backed LISA: The Painful RPG you should have gotten an e-mail with a link to the full version. I've only played two hours so far but the game is solid as hell. The writing has me wrapped around its little finger. I'm pretty sure I'm feeling both the intended emotion, and the intended intensity of that emotion and yeah, there's an Earthbound feel. Not sure when non-backers are getting access to it but if anyone made the horrible mistake of not backing it, it should be available soon.

I hope so. I didn't find out about it until someone mentioned it here a few days ago (on the plus side that means I didn't have to wait a year for it).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm happier with Steam myself, but offering a DRM-free option to your backers is just the classy thing for cool kickstarters to do.

It also makes pirating the games infinitely easier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

It's weird there's no info on buying on their website. Just a special treat in the form of the devs giving us the literal finger, for some reason.

There's still a pre-order page but the link is gone from the header, for some reason. Although he has released the game to Kickstarter backers he's holding off on an official release for a bit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I figured he was supposed to be an alien pretending to be a human.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Megazver posted:

Yes Your Grace is an interesting take on the kingdom building genre. You play as a medieval king who reigns from his castle and whose control over his kingdom is an indirect one. You spend your days answering petitions from your subjects and have to rely on the news they bring to actually figure out what is going on in your kingdom.

Oh boy, another pixel-puke game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Counterpoint:
Sometimes working within limitations can give you more character, or force you to come up with some really creative stuff.

Oh it can work. Another great example is Risk of Rain. The sprites and animations for the characters are very simplistic, but manage to still be distinct and give off character. Something that game does not look like it will do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Dropsy's a local boy made good, so to speak. His creator (Gaspy Conana around these parts) did a bunch of those silly GBS Choose Your Own Adventure games with Dropsy and the same painstaking pixel art over the years. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be giving it the side-eye too.

Got a link to those threads? I enjoy reading through those.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What is it with scamming brothers and Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

the black husserl posted:

It's bizarre that things have come to this since one of the primary frustrations devs had with publishers back in 2009 was the vertical slice. New boss is same as the old I guess.

I thought the main issue was more the publisher mindset that games have to have tens of millions of dollars budgets and make hundreds of millions.